Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I haven't actually done any post MSQ stuff yet fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pyramid schema posted:

I can't recall that ever being explicitly stated. Hythlodaeus says that the Ascians that opposed sacrificing more life to Zodiark created Hydaelyn with their own power but that's vague enough to mean a lot of things. If you happen to know of some text that makes this clearer then that would definitely change things up.

Hythlodaeus states that the dissidents "surrendered their life energies in the creation of Hydaelyn," the wording of which strongly implies that they sacrificed themselves to her creation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh man, an argument about the metaphysics of made-up nonsense. Now it's a Final Fantasy thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh man, an argument about the metaphysics of made-up nonsense. Now it's a Final Fantasy thread.
Personally I was wondering when people would notice the subtle references to Final Fantasy woven throughout the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

Personally I was wondering when people would notice the subtle references to Final Fantasy woven throughout the game.
Did you know that "magical tech[nology]" also appears in Final Fantasy 7?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not being ironic, by the way, I love that Final Fantasy games take huge swings with the settings.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Probably a good time to mention it: that headband's a new addition to the game (Ribbon) that you can get with achievement certs from the dude in Gridania.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gunbreaker is really fun. Twirling around in my coat, swording explosions, shooting shields at myself or allies, and just generally feels awesome.

The game needs more minimally armored long coats that tanks can wear. Trying a new glamour (on the right) but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gunbreaker is really fun. Twirling around in my coat, swording explosions, shooting shields at myself or allies, and just generally feels awesome.

The game needs more minimally armored long coats that tanks can wear. Trying a new glamour (on the right) but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's pretty obnoxious that the initial GUN gear they give you isn't dyeable, since it's just a copy of existing stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Agreed, its that way for the DNC gear too, and the RDM and SAM stuff from Stormblood.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Uraeus Coat is minimally armored.

Also minimally clothed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Agreed, its that way for the DNC gear too, and the RDM and SAM stuff from Stormblood.

I've liked the look of having pretty heavily armored legs and fingerless gloves so far, regardless of the chest piece

The Sky Pirate's coat is pretty good too

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I've been trying to loosely emulate the GNB AF without actually using it (if only because I'm still leveling it).

Veib posted:

The Uraeus Coat is minimally armored.

Also minimally clothed.

Yeah, I saw that one and while I've used it in the past for other jobs, I wanted to try something else.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My one issue with Gunbreaker looks is all the tank armor seems to be big bulky stuff but they should just look like Squall from FF8 which is the default look so what even is the point of new armor

Also... I think this might be one of my favorite FF games? I thought I was really against MMOs but I'm not really playing it like one very often. I just love the music and world and the story is good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My one issue with Gunbreaker looks is all the tank armor seems to be big bulky stuff but they should just look like Squall from FF8 which is the default look so what even is the point of new armor

Also... I think this might be one of my favorite FF games? I thought I was really against MMOs but I'm not really playing it like one very often. I just love the music and world and the story is good.

This game's story and... everything else is way better than most of the FF's I've played.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Re: Zodiark, the Final Days involved the Ancients creation magic going haywire and creating their greatest fears and other horrible monsters. Certainly this didn’t effect the greatest use of their creation magic ever in some terrible way. Such as making it sacrifice hungry or something. Or I don’t know making it able to brainwash its creators.

Pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoy PLD a surprising amount, I feel completely invincible, but most of the swords and shields kinda suck. At least up to level 50, so that'll obvs change.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
PLD is probably one of those classes like WHM that I'm going to shell out :20bux: to skip levelling

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Bahamut was a dark oriented, proper calamity that ended a shard. It had nothing to do with the first.

As a note here, Bahamut's calamity wasn't "dark elemental" as much as it was aspected towards "astral darkness" - that is to say, a combination of fire, wind, and thunder. Also note: Megaflare, paralysis towers, tempest wing. Bahamut himself uses all the elements his calamity is composed of. Earth Shaker comes from the fact that, presumably, the Ascians intended him to provoke the fourth calamity when Tiamat originally summoned him--that is to say, the Calamity of Earth.

BisbyWorl posted:

What element was Thordan and the Heaven's Ward aligned with again?

Heavensward primals are implied to be dual elemental. Bismarck is wind/water, Ravana is fire/earth, Thordan is lightning/ice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bussamove posted:

Re: Zodiark, the Final Days involved the Ancients creation magic going haywire and creating their greatest fears and other horrible monsters. Certainly this didn’t effect the greatest use of their creation magic ever in some terrible way. Such as making it sacrifice hungry or something. Or I don’t know making it able to brainwash its creators.

Pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

I could see this, but Akaedaemaiaea's final boss does show an Amaurotine sacrifice to summon Quetzacoatl (who might technically be the O.G. primal, as an aside), so that was still an element before then. Doesn't disprove your idea, but it does provide a counterargument.

I have a theory that's perhaps too simple to work, but would make logical sense if these were real thinking people we're talking about : Maybe the Ascians following Zodiark are just stupid, and have never thought about their process enough to start questioning the importance of all its steps. Sacrifices have done them well enough so far, why would they ever think about if it's actually needed? Doesn't bother them to do it.

This idea's actually got a bit of grounding to it, because primals we know don't need sacrifices are also ones that we don't really have records of interacting with the Ascians; Shiva, Alexander, Susano, Enkidu for example. Meanwhile, ones that definitely were seeded by the Ascians were all about those blood sacrifices; the original Eorzean beast tribes and Shinryu for example.

It is entirely possible that the whole blood-sacrificial requirement just keeps coming up because the Ascians spreading that never considered that it wasn't.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In regards to all the spoiler chat, do remember that a requisite amount of Aether is required to create things, be they primals or crafts.

Sacrificing oneself can be equated to 'ok i use literally all of my aether to make this thing.' That's what I got out of the last boss of Akadaemia.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I suppose the real question regarding primals vs creations is why they hunger for aether - it's clear Amaurotines could create things without the use of crystals/external aether just because they were unsundered but it's never really commented upon if their "creations" needed an upkeep of aether - nothing seems to state they do, but it may just be a "you have to put gas in your car" style assumption so no one talks about it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saigyouji posted:

I've been soloing Ala Mhigo the past couple of days to try and get the Magitek Predator mount, and it finally dropped after altogether too many runs.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I've done so many runs and I still don't have it :negative: At least I have confirmation it's possible now!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

they do this with every armor type and it sucks imo. Fending armor is all Paladin-themed big bulky knight stuff, Aiming armor is all Bard-themed archer gear that looks real bad on a Dancer, Healing armor is all White Mage-themed because all healers wear white robes right?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh is the Magitek Reaper rare or something

I wouldn't know, I got it on my very first run ever

:smug:

(I've never seen it drop since)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I made the decision long ago to only ever use my faithful chocobo and that decision has saved me countless hours since.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Give us a magitek walker we can customize like our chocobos, squenix

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well, would you look at that

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/golubichbern/status/1153091734093647877

https://twitter.com/LalafellWoD/status/1153058793573498882

aiportraits.com does good work.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mister Olympus posted:

As a note here, Bahamut's calamity wasn't "dark elemental" as much as it was aspected towards "astral darkness" - that is to say, a combination of fire, wind, and thunder. Also note: Megaflare, paralysis towers, tempest wing. Bahamut himself uses all the elements his calamity is composed of. Earth Shaker comes from the fact that, presumably, the Ascians intended him to provoke the fourth calamity when Tiamat originally summoned him--that is to say, the Calamity of Earth.

Heavensward primals are implied to be dual elemental. Bismarck is wind/water, Ravana is fire/earth, Thordan is lightning/ice

Wait, what implies that those are Thordan's elements? If you're saying that's because he uses abilities of those elements, he also uses Ancient Quaga and also his signature move appears to be pretty drat light-aspected.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Vermain posted:

This is confirmed more strongly in the Japanese text, where Hythlodaeus says explicitly that the decision to summon Hydlaeyn was motivated by a desire to hand over stewardship of the world to the new life that had emerged.

A bit late, but I didn't take this, even from the Japanese text? He says "to the new lives", but it read to me like it could refer to the next generation, unless my Japanese is even worse than I thought. They don't use a word like "lifeform" (生命体) to specify a distinctly new type of being.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Conot posted:

I suppose the real question regarding primals vs creations is why they hunger for aether - it's clear Amaurotines could create things without the use of crystals/external aether just because they were unsundered but it's never really commented upon if their "creations" needed an upkeep of aether - nothing seems to state they do, but it may just be a "you have to put gas in your car" style assumption so no one talks about it

There is at least one case where a primal is confirmed to need an upkeep of aether: Alexander barely moves because the aether required to do it is so immense they just keep running out. The only other primal that's active for a long enough timespan to face hunger issues is Bismarck; Bismarck's a little hard to read because it's non-verbal and the Vanu are generally uncooperative, but the fact that it keeps eating islands (while we know that the real Bismarck in the First can go into hibernation for centuries) suggests that it does need constant sustenance.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I enjoy PLD a surprising amount, I feel completely invincible, but most of the swords and shields kinda suck. At least up to level 50, so that'll obvs change.

Yep, at 50 you start getting tomestone gear, primal gear, pvp gear and raid gear, plus relics but those are a long-term project.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Shb trailer spoilers?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm using Ala Mhigan fending stuff on Gunbreaker right now and I like it okay:

Really hoping the next set of tome gear has a look that is less explicitly knightly, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PoorWeather posted:

A bit late, but I didn't take this, even from the Japanese text? He says "to the new lives", but it read to me like it could refer to the next generation, unless my Japanese is even worse than I thought. They don't use a word like "lifeform" (生命体) to specify a distinctly new type of being.

Yeah, pretty sure this is what he says. The Hydaelyn faction doesn't want to gently caress around anymore, and just let things keep going, with new births and all that.

The others want to hit a reset button.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
death counts in Eden raids by class
https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/29#metric=deaths

I understand the healers being towards the top (squishy, staring at health bars) but what's up with RDM? Caster defenses + backflip tax?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been playing this game for awhile now, and it still kinda surprises me just how much there is to do. I was kinda joking in FC chat the other day I was getting decision paralysis because I couldn't decide what I wanted to work on the other night.

I've been mostly focusing on daily roulettes to level alt jobs, but now I find myself considering working on relics, and the toughest part is picking one to work on. The ones I like more are for jobs I'm not really focusing on.

Saigyouji posted:

I've been soloing Ala Mhigo the past couple of days to try and get the Magitek Predator mount, and it finally dropped after altogether too many runs.

What did you solo as / what sort of gear? Kinda temped to go for this mount myself, but I get the impression it could be rather grueling.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

What did you solo as / what sort of gear? Kinda temped to go for this mount myself, but I get the impression it could be rather grueling.

I did it as fresh level 80 Warrior, which was pretty easy and straightforward. Takes a while (average 30 min runs) but the upside is that you don't have to pay attention to the game at all and can just press your buttons and eventually stuff dies, so it lets you watch stuff on your second monitor or w/e. The trash hits harder than the bosses so I mostly didn't wall to wall pull, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
ARR MSQ

I was about to ask the significance of the symbol that Wedge spraypaints on the stolen Magitek armor, when my own screenshot gave me my answer.

I can't wait to get to Heavensword and onward! The plot is finally picking up a bit.