Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They've been pretty open about Dimitri and Edelgard being barely-restrained sociopaths so i'm excited to see where their stories go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq1Xzycyp2E&t=374s

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LostRook posted:

The Thirteenth Spirit is called Beleth (or Bileth, or Bilet, or Byleth). He is a mighty King and terrible. He rideth on a pale horse with trumpets and other kinds of musical instruments playing before him. He is very furious at his first appearance, that is, while the Exorcist layeth his courage; for to do this he must hold a Hazel Wand in his hand, striking it out towards the South and East Quarters, make a triangle, △, without the Circle, and then command him into it by the Bonds and Charges of Spirits as hereafter followeth. And if he doth not enter into the triangle, △, at your threats, rehearse the Bonds and Charms before him, and then he will yield Obedience and come into it, and do what he is commanded by the Exorcist. Yet he must receive him courteously because he is a Great King, and do homage unto him, as the Kings and Princes do that attend upon him. And thou must have always a Silver Ring on the middle finger of the left hand held against thy face*, as they do yet before AMAYMON. This Great King Beleth causeth all the love that may be, both of Men and of Women, until the Master Exorcist hath had his desire fulfilled. He is of the Order of Powers, and he governeth 85 Legions of Spirits. His Noble Seal is this, which is to be worn before thee at working.

*To protect him from the flaming breath of the enraged Spirit; the design is given at the end of the instructions for the Magical Circle, etc., later on in the Goetia.

fun fact, Heroes internally refers to female Byleth as "Beleth" while male Byleth is still "Byleth"
Just thought it was neat. I assume the different way female byleth's name in japan is written is meant to be read like that too?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know who I'm excited to build? Felix, Petra, and Ferdinand. So many strengths in physical weapon types, so flexible in their class options.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Serenes Forest has the characters' spell lists, the class skills, and the class mastery skills datamined.

There are some interesting wrinkles in there. For instance, Lysithea only learns Dark Magic from her Reason ranks—no black magic at all. That means she gets nothing out of the two Warlock class skills, which are Black Tomefaire and Black Magic Uses x2. She's better off going through Bishop instead, unless you really want her to get the Warlock Mastery Skill (Bowbreaker).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zoran posted:

Serenes Forest has the characters' spell lists, the class skills, and the class mastery skills datamined.

There are some interesting wrinkles in there. For instance, Lysithea only learns Dark Magic from her Reason ranks—no black magic at all. That means she gets nothing out of the two Warlock class skills, which are Black Tomefaire and Black Magic Uses x2. She's better off going through Bishop instead, unless you really want her to get the Warlock Mastery Skill (Bowbreaker).

Does that mean she can't actually cast Reason spells until Gremory since Dark Mage and Dark Bishop are male only :psyduck:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

Does that mean she can't actually cast Reason spells until Gremory since Dark Mage and Dark Bishop are male only :psyduck:

Any class with magic access can cast every kind of magic.

Lysithea is just a pure magic nuke. This is her spell list:

Reason: Miasma Δ - Swarm Ζ - Luna Λ - Dark Spikes Τ - Hades Ω
All five are dark spells, which have various effects on the enemies.

Faith: Heal - Nosferatu - Seraphim - Warp - Abraxas
All but Heal and Warp are offensive light magic.

She's built to do one thing and do it very, very well.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 25, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zoran posted:

I thought only Dark Mage/Dark Bishop/Gremory could use Dark magic. Otherwise what is even the point of Dark Mage/Dark Bishop? They're just really restricted Mages/Warlocks with different skills?

I have no idea how magic works now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like y'all need to not care about classes and weapons and skills and just do whatever and learn from the experience

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Zore posted:

I thought only Dark Mage/Dark Bishop/Gremory could use Dark magic. Otherwise what is even the point of Dark Mage/Dark Bishop? They're just really restricted Mages/Warlocks with different skills?

They are just really restricted Mages/Warlocks with different skills.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lunatic is a day 1 patch

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also yeah, the cast is tiny as heck. You have fewer than 20 characters in any route, even assuming you pick up 2-3 students from the other houses.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why no endgame male mage class???

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Zore posted:

Also yeah, the cast is tiny as heck. You have fewer than 20 characters in any route, even assuming you pick up 2-3 students from the other houses.

I'm fine with a small cast if they're all well developed.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tired Moritz posted:

They are on horses :v: Also it looks like there's a dancer-esque one-off dark bishop class for your male infantry mage needs, though I haven't looked far enough into spoilers to see how it happens.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Tired Moritz posted:

Given the odd gaps in Master class type coverage (no male mage/dark mage, no dedicated foot sword user (Mortal Savant being sword/reason), etc., I'm starting to think that Master classes are going to be fairly limited, i.e. Advanced classes are considered the 'regular' top tier, and going into a Master class is something of a bonus, limited by the number of Master Seals available to you. Odd that there isn't an Advanced Pegasus Knight equivalent, only Intermediate and Master, though.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I'm fine with a small cast if they're all well developed.

Same here. The cast isn't terribly small (25 students, including Byleth, plus ~10 faculty and Knights of Seiros), but having them sectioned off into houses with limited cross-house supports allows them to focus the writing and characters a bit. And I think so far we know (extremely minor spoiler involving battle mechanics) that deployments are 10 at the most, plus Assistants (basically pair-ups that can't split, help the character they're attached to, and gain exp even though they can't directly contribute to the fight), so it's expected that you'll have a relatively small party compared to past games. I never really liked having units that joined the party and never really came up again or got used, anyway - it's harder for the writers to have to write around permadeath and such, but it still felt kinda stupid to have all that dead weight in my party.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Zoran posted:

Lysithea is just a pure magic nuke. This is her spell list:

Reason: Miasma Δ - Swarm Ζ - Luna Λ - Dark Spikes Τ - Hades Ω
All five are dark spells, which have various effects on the enemies.

Faith: Heal - Nosferatu - Seraphim - Warp - Abraxas
All but Heal and Warp are offensive light magic.

She's built to do one thing and do it very, very well.

I can't find where this is on SF, so I'm gonna have to ask-how do the other mages fit into this paradigm? I remember the characters' strengths and Hidden Talents, but I don't know the spell lists:

-Hubert is all about that Reason magic, tailor made for Dark Mage
-Dorothea is firstly about attack magic, but if you build up her Faith, she can turn it into a strength
-Linhardt and Mercedes, like Lysithea, have both Faith and Reason bonuses.
-Annette and Lorenz have Reason strengths
-Marianne has a Faith strength
-Byleth has a Faith Hidden Talent
-Finally, Edelgard, Sylvain, Felix and Ignatz have Reason Hidden Talents.

How do their spell lists stack up? What roles do they play?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Game should unlock in a few hours tonight, then I’ve got all Friday off to poop sock :munch:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Game should unlock in a few hours tonight, then I’ve got all Friday off to poop sock :munch:

I think you may have days mixed up. I don't think it unlocks for another day.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Should be about 20 hours from now, if they unlock it at midnight EST like usual.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

To whoever the Goon on my friend list is who just started playing this: I'm very jealous.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I’m not 100% sure without a timer (like most stores have in 2019) but most eshop games here drop thurs night before midnight

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unlocks in 12 hours for me, get timezoned suckers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Me, a fool who bought a physical copy.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

To whoever the Goon on my friend list is who just started playing this: I'm very jealous.

A protip for the wise: always befriend the games retailer who's willing to break official launch dates (it is I, the goon who started playing Three Houses this morning)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

il-landier posted:

A protip for the wise: always befriend the games retailer who's willing to break official launch dates (it is I, the goon who started playing Three Houses this morning)

And???? How is it?

Edit: not that it fuckin matters because I blew a voucher on it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

MarcusSA posted:

And???? How is it?

It's good. If you're anything like me, it's hard as hell to pick a house though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:hf:

My man!

Half tempted to take my switch to work tonight so I can play but not 100% sure it will be unlocked before I leave.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

And???? How is it?

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's good. If you're anything like me, it's hard as hell to pick a house though.

So far so very good, the RPG sections remind me a lot of Trails of Cold Steel, what with it being set in a military academy and you're forced with the tough decision of how to spend a limited amount of actions on your free days. That said the toughest decision of all is indeed your choice of house (I went with the Black Eagles because they're led by an axe-wielding cutie, don't you dare judge me).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Grapplejack posted:

They've been pretty open about Dimitri and Edelgard being barely-restrained sociopaths so i'm excited to see where their stories go

They also repeatedly point out that Claude is a shifty bastard who can’t be trusted as far as you could throw him, but he does seem to be the only one not likely to carve a bloody swath over the continent.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

il-landier posted:

So far so very good, the RPG sections remind me a lot of Trails of Cold Steel, what with it being set in a military academy and you're forced with the tough decision of how to spend a limited amount of actions on your free days. That said the toughest decision of all is indeed your choice of house (I went with the Black Eagles because they're led by an axe-wielding cutie, don't you dare judge me).

I went with Black Eagles too. I figured if the house leader is next in line for empress, I'd want to be on her good side.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Edelgard/Byleth is the disaster lesbian ruling couple we need.

I've not even really looked into Byleth's personality but I presume this will hold up regardless.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Conot posted:

I've not even really looked into Byleth's personality but I presume this will hold up regardless.

Doesn't seem to really be much of one so far. Sort of your standard "doesn't talk much" JRPG protagonist. Although I'm not too far into the game.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 25, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I can't decide if being selfish and making Edelgard marry byleth is best or if going for the objectively cutest couple of Edelgard marrying dorothea is best

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I look forward to this game arriving tomorrow. I do not look forward to my son going to stay with his grandparents for a couple of weeks on Monday and taking the switch with him :argh:

e: I'll pick whatever house Donel is in and will be ignoring all replies that suggest this might be a problem for any reason

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Terper posted:

Sounds like y'all need to not care about classes and weapons and skills and just do whatever and learn from the experience

For some folks, that is the main appeal/main game though. Planning foremost, playing through the game is secondary and functions mainly as test running your special snowflake plan.

For me, I'm still courting the idea of going all punchmans and see how horribly incredibly it turns out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For those that are curious about the spells, the Serenes Forest page is here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/learned-spells/

Too bad their spell description page is incredibly sparse, missing a lot of information. It's kind of tough to compare characters if you're not 100% sure what the spells do.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can't decide if being selfish and making Edelgard marry byleth is best or if going for the objectively cutest couple of Edelgard marrying dorothea is best

The support is underwhelming actually. Manuella works better for either of them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Geostomp posted:

They also repeatedly point out that Claude is a shifty bastard who can’t be trusted as far as you could throw him, but he does seem to be the only one not likely to carve a bloody swath over the continent.

Someone said he might instead carve a bloody swath trough a bunch of smaller nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How gay can you be in this one?