Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Floppy I want you to know I have faith that you’ll take the thread’s advice and then come back and tell us all how wrong you were to doubt our political acumen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

Also, just as an aside, a hefty 239 pound presidential sized lmao @ libelling the centrist circlejerk electoralist neolib barn a "purity wank"

capital wank, sure i guess but purity wank? you have to have an ethos first to have a purity wank

marianne wants people to charge their j/o crystal with the purity wank energy just as an aside, to send good thoughts and vibes to her debate prep for july 31st and if theres any signs of faltering, you crush the crystal and spread the dust on the tv and it will broadcast back to her, and stop the moderators from cutting her mic off.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

marianne wants people to charge their j/o crystal with the purity wank energy just as an aside, to send good thoughts and vibes to her debate prep for july 31st and if theres any signs of faltering, you crush the crystal and spread the dust on the tv and it will broadcast back to her, and stop the moderators from cutting her mic off.

[blinking into the camera like one of john mccain's less famous POW camp inhabitants that translates into morse esperanto code as 'COMMANDS RECEIVED AND ACKNOWLEDGED. NAMASTE']

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Eschenique posted:

Can anyone help clear up the last primary?

bernie simply didn't think he had a chance at the outset and was only in it to push the dialogue left. by the time he realized that clinton was assailable, it was too late to readjust his campaign

Flopsy posted:

If I didn't hate trump/GOP as much i do I'd run screaming in the other direction.

its that hugo boss look, right? im not agreeing, but i get it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i am going to carefully read every candidate's website, and consider the meaning of words such as "it is time to focus on the middle class"

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

mormonpartyboat posted:

i am going to carefully read every candidate's website, and consider the meaning of words such as "it is time to focus on the middle class"

A call for violent revolution. I approve!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Oh Snapple! posted:

To expound slightly, they locked her out and gave her some donuts and water as a "go away" thing. The donut twitter poo poo then literally began as folks who thought this was actually incredibly good and also very polite on their part in the face of an ~uppity black woman~.

Like I poo poo you not, it was initially described by the folks putting it on as them being kind, classy, hospitable folks who will be nice and give you donuts even if they don't like you. Like some dumb permutation on "they go low, we go high" poo poo.

To expound more, Nina Turner was bringing a policy proposal (the People's Platform) to be voted on at the party conference when she was blocked. Because apparently those have to be brought in as physical copies. Blocking her from entering means the proposal never even got voted on. Offering her donuts instead was just adding insult to injury.

The people displaying donuts use it to commemorate their side's victory that day.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Grouchio posted:

Any good news since the first debate?

It seems like most establishment media folks are turning away from Biden, which means he's probably due to eat poo poo soonish. Unfortunately, the rest of the lineup doesn't seem to have budged from their strategy of trying to pull the conversation towards the right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Politicsinsider/status/1153832819778449409?s=20

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

"By golly this racist grifting con-man who has been a racist grifting con-man his entire life has turned out to be a racist grifting con-man while President! Who'da thunk it?!!!"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

The Hillary reacts are kind of mind-boggling given that she desperately wanted to run against him.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

"By golly this racist grifting con-man who has been a racist grifting con-man his entire life has turned out to be a racist grifting con-man while President! Who'da thunk it?!!!"

That’s not what he said.

Of the million things you could be legitimately criticizing Biden for, this is pretty loving stupid. No one knew how far this poo poo was going to go.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Solkanar512 posted:

No one knew how far this poo poo was going to go.

no, you just didn't listen

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Of the million things you could be legitimately criticizing Biden for, this is pretty loving stupid. No one knew how far this poo poo was going to go.

No one???? At all???

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Plenty of people knew how bad it was going to be, after all Trump is a Republican. President Rubio would have been just as bad except maybe done it with a bit more "decorum."

It once again shows how Biden thinks Trump is a unique failure of the Republican party and that he'll be able to reach across the aisle once Trump is out of office.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Lmao

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Plenty of people knew how bad it was going to be, after all Trump is a Republican. President Rubio would have been just as bad except maybe done it with a bit more "decorum."

It once again shows how Biden thinks Trump is a unique failure of the Republican party and that he'll be able to reach across the aisle once Trump is out of office.

Ok, then why don’t you tell me exactly what “President” Rubio would have tried to enact. Come on now, folks are claiming they know the future so what specific policies should he be enacting? Which alliances would he have respected and which ones would he have thrown away? Which court cases would he fight? Would he make any deals with the Dems and if so on what?

Once you’re done with that, prove it. If you can tell the future this should be trivial for you.

And no, it doesn’t count if you or anyone else makes that dishonest argument conflating “we knew things were going to be bad” with “we couldn’t predict the extent to which Trump could find new and horrible ways of being bad”.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 25, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No one could have known the guy who promised to send cops to drag a million people from their homes and put them in camps would be dragging people from their homes and putting them in camps.

Totally impossible to have predicted that guy would be bad, after all he's so rich and therefore of high moral fiber.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, I’m going to make the crazy loving claim that outside of vague generalities no one can predict the specific future policies of a then hypothetical president.

I hope that’s not too “liberal” for you guys to handle.

now imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff,

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Plenty of people who know about politics could tell Hillary’s general election campaign was completely hosed before it began. I knew Donald Trump was going to be the next President when Bernie won that Michigan primary. It sent a very clear message to anyone with an iota of political literacy that the Rustbelt was simply not going to vote for any candidate that voted for/supported NAFTA - you know, the same agreement that literally destroyed the RustBelt in less than a generation? Add on top of this the way Obama kept pushing the TPP at the same time, which was just NAFTA on steroids.

The Democrats basically handed trump that election on a loving silver platter

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

tylersayten posted:

Plenty of people who know about politics could tell Hillary’s general election campaign was completely hosed before it began. I knew Donald Trump was going to be the next President when Bernie won that Michigan primary. It sent a very clear message to anyone with an iota of political literacy that the Rustbelt was simply not going to vote for any candidate that voted for/supported NAFTA - you know, the same agreement that literally destroyed the RustBelt in less than a generation? Add on top of this the way Obama kept pushing the TPP at the same time, which was just NAFTA on steroids.

I’m sorry, are you somehow confusing me for someone who thought Hillary Clinton ran a good campaign?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Did people know that Trump was going to be bad in specifically the ways that he has been bad in? Probably not. Did they know he was going to be worse than George W or Mitt or McCain... yeah. No one on the left, except some very deranged human beings, believed Trump was going to be anything good/better.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Did people know that Trump was going to be bad in specifically the ways that he has been bad in?

yes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol if you think trump is worse than bush

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Solkanar512 posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

And no, it doesn’t count if you or anyone else makes that dishonest argument conflating “we knew things were going to be bad” with “we couldn’t predict the extent to which Trump could find new and horrible ways of being bad”.

crazy cloud posted:

we are literally all going to die because neolibs can't stop jacking themselves into a frenzy long enough to acknowledge that they are wrong, they have always been wrong, the results they have gotten have paved the way for fascist ethnic cleansing and mass sexual abuse and murder, and the best thing you can say for it is, "we didn't mean for it to end up like this, we're sorry"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

The very first thing Trump did as a candidate was declare that Mexican immigrants are rapists and that he would do an ethnic cleansing if elected. Congrats on being a comfortable and cis het white dude, I guess.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hillary warned us.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s not what he said.

Behold the Biden Voter

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

The very first thing Trump did as a candidate was declare that Mexican immigrants are rapists and that he would do an ethnic cleansing if elected. Congrats on being a comfortable and cis het white dude, I guess.

Yeah but I didn't think he'd do the mean tweets, I thought he'd mass murder non-whites politely like Bush so I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Republicans are evil genocidal mass murderers? I sleep
They are also rude to white people? Real poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Considering there's people that, to this day, are still thinking Hillary would have started a nuclear war I'm going to guess that actually "Yes, some people thought it was going to be this bad."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone who tells you Donny is worse than anyone could have predicted is a fool and a liar. The only people who weren't calling for a total poo poo show were desperately hoping for a miracle. If anything, the sheer incompetence of team Donny is the only thing preventing Donny from actually being fully as bad as was predicted.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tylersayten posted:

Hilary Clinton voted for NAFTA?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyges posted:

Anyone who tells you Donny is worse than anyone could have predicted is a fool and a liar. The only people who weren't calling for a total poo poo show were desperately hoping for a miracle. If anything, the sheer incompetence of team Donny is the only thing preventing Donny from actually being fully as bad as was predicted.

Yeah I fully anticipated at least one new war by now. Severely underestimated how little information Trump could handle about the outside world, and overestimated how much he would just delegate to the warhawk cabinet. So actually he's been way less terrible in terms of overseas bombing campaigns, and about exactly where I expected in terms of domestic disaster and accelerating the slide towards fash oblivion

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

He's as bad as was predicted. Competence isn't really relevant, as everyone assumed he would be incompetent and surround himself with sycophants.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I fully anticipated at least one new war by now. Severely underestimated how little information Trump could handle about the outside world, and overestimated how much he would just delegate to the warhawk cabinet. So actually he's been way less terrible in terms of overseas bombing campaigns, and about exactly where I expected in terms of domestic disaster and accelerating the slide towards fash oblivion

He had the army fabricate a reason to drop a MOAB on someone, cruise missiled a Syrian airbase with Russian assets on it, seen the escalation of land seizures in Ukraine, stans for Israel as they continue their campaign to eventually exterminate Palestin, and has been feeding US arms to the Saudis to wage an extermination campaign in Yemen.

He hasn't closed Gitmo, ended the Iraq or Afghan wars (as promised) and has instead escalated those situations.

Sure we're not in a 3rd open war, even though the brinksmanship in the Persian Gulf is getting fuckin' wild, but the situation isn't calm. Proxy wars aren't better than bombing campaigns. No one in America has the time to pay attention to all the horrible poo poo we're enabling because we're all too terrified of the horrible poo poo we're enabling at home.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 25, 2019

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Chilichimp posted:

Hilary Clinton voted for NAFTA?

"voted for/supported"

She supported it then later criticized it when she ran in '08, but then pushed TPP (before denouncing it). I don't think it's unreasonable for voters to question her actual stance even if she was nominally against (or at least nominally for rewriting) NAFTA/TPP by election day.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Nah. He's been somewhat bad about being terrible in some contexts. His inability to "properly" propagandize a war has been... well, something. A more competent dipshit would have at least doctored more evidence. That said, he's been novel and awful in other ways too. His hatred of minorities was well-known, but going after trans people in the military (regardless of the moral implications of being in the military) seemed like something Pence/Miller pushed for and Trump himself would never have given a poo poo about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

i am the bird posted:

"voted for/supported"

She supported it then later criticized it when she ran in '08, but then pushed TPP (before denouncing it). I don't think it's unreasonable for voters to question her actual stance even if she was nominally against (or at least nominally for rewriting) NAFTA/TPP by election day.

She called TPP "the gold standard" in her book, but then had that line removed from later editions during the primary when it was clear her support for it was going to be a problem

Her actual stance was very clear.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Nah. He's been somewhat bad about being terrible in some contexts. His inability to "properly" propagandize a war has been... well, something. A more competent dipshit would have at least doctored more evidence. That said, he's been novel and awful in other ways too. His hatred of minorities was well-known, but going after trans people in the military (regardless of the moral implications of being in the military) seemed like something Pence/Miller pushed for and Trump himself would never have given a poo poo about.

the best example d&d scholars could come up with to justify saying "nobody could have predicted the things trump is doing" was that a nazi pisshog president and his christofascist horse fucker vp, riding a wave of gamergate grifters into the white house, might not be an ideal trailblazer for trans rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

A woman made a game about depression and it started a tantrum so large it elected a clown as the President.

Laffo tier universe sim we have here.