Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's worth noting that in paper, the average value of the cards in a pack is more or less fixed (based on the wholesale price). Having rare lands to suck up some of that value means that the other cards in the set are less expensive.

That doesn't apply in Arena of course, where the only purpose it serves is to make you spend more rare wildcards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
magic as an lcg you cowards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
having "draft packs" vs. different kinds of packs is clearly a step in that direction

don't expect them to do it unless governments start realising that yes, packs as they stand actually are gambling though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GimmickMan posted:

For years the line has been that they make duals rare because they keep packs for their sets "exciting" which has always been their codeword for "worth money".
I mean there's literally an article called like, booster pack excitement, and the excitement is they're more expensive and potentially worth more. It's not hard to draw a line.

But Goat wants the explicit line that generated that often quoted pearl. Which has been around since, like, Onslaught.

SalTheBard posted:

How do you unlock Golgari and the other "rival color" guilds? Do you have finish the initial mastery "wheel"?
Maybe! Most Arena players didn't do the same NPE as you, so we don't know.

I know this isn't helpful but I'm explaining why

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

having "draft packs" vs. different kinds of packs is clearly a step in that direction

don't expect them to do it unless governments start realising that yes, packs as they stand actually are gambling though.

Oh they realise it, they are just almost completely unaware of Magic the Gathering and, unlike with basically every other thing about our government, I don't really blame them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't mind so much having to burn rare wildcards on dual lands, what I mind way more is not being able to burn rares on dumb jank to try out because then I won't have them to build real decks. There's no such thing as cheap bulk rares on Arena.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Aw, beans, did cubetutor.com finally die?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Entropic posted:

I don't think so? It's still up for me, but it's no longer under active development (critical bug fixes and new sets only). The guy who runs is seems super unclear about what to do with the platform, and also unwilling to bring in the help he clearly needs to make it public or maintainable. Talking to him on Discord, he claims he has a lot of offers for help, but I suspect most of those are either not serious or wildly unqualified.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Seems like everyone is still on Hogaak.

https://twitter.com/hueyjensen/status/1154363229730160641?s=21
https://twitter.com/kaibudde/status/1154291634328231936?s=21
https://twitter.com/pvddr/status/1154341588262371335?s=21
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1154351105427595265?s=21

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/mythic-championship-iv-modern-preview-2019-07-24

It’s the 5th most played deck in the field.

Humans
Phoenix
Etron
UW
Hogaak

Time fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 25, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

That's not actually from the MC lists, it's from a bunch of SCG tournaments (including qualifiers) and MTGO 5-0 lists, which are heavily curated to avoid showing duplicates. Basically it's a rough overview of the meta but without even showing useful distribution. It's a worthless graphic beyond "here's some decks people have played, but the players aren't necessarily even any good."

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

That's not actually from the MC lists, it's from a bunch of SCG tournaments (including qualifiers) and MTGO 5-0 lists, which are heavily curated to avoid showing duplicates. Basically it's a rough overview of the meta but without even showing useful distribution. It's a worthless graphic beyond "here's some decks people have played, but the players aren't necessarily even any good."

Oh my bad. I can’t actually read which is going to make playing magic this weekend hard

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Time posted:

Oh my bad

Nah you're cool, it's incredibly misleading, especially when you see it out of context. I first saw it on Twitter and 'believed' it, until I saw replies criticising its validity.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Goat posted:

Nah you're cool, it's incredibly misleading, especially when you see it out of context. I first saw it on Twitter and 'believed' it, until I saw replies criticising its validity.

You can call bullshit when it says 3% of Modern is Goblins. Who will be the brave souls to try that this week?

I really wish I had Vials to try the list Jim Davis was playing though.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 25, 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lone Goat posted:

Wotc loves to assemble these graphics with data that they’ve handpicked to confirm that the format is in a great spot and balanced. Reminds of that PT graphic where they had multiple versions of the RB deck separated out so that RB didn’t take up 35% of the metagame.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Wotc loves to assemble these graphics with data that they’ve handpicked to confirm that the format is in a great spot and balanced. Reminds of that PT graphic where they had multiple versions of the RB deck separated out so that RB didn’t take up 35% of the metagame.

it's also a "weighted average" aka the numbers are completely made up

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Sounds like the Mythic Championship isnt even worth tuning into. Easy peezy

Hauki
May 11, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Sounds like the Mythic Championship isnt even worth tuning into. Easy peezy

oh, you can actually tune into this one?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

It's up but it's really loving slow today.

In other news, I'm wrapping up the project my friend contracted me for, after which I'm getting back to writing my replacement for cubetutor (that will have a day 1 feature to import a cube exported from that site to help transition). I'm in the middle of hopefully changing jobs, but I'm trying to plan in a little gap in between to have my first vacation in ages, which would give me a lot of time to work on these things.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hauki posted:

oh, you can actually tune into this one?
Have they had a Mythic Championship that you couldn't?

Unless you're talking about literal TV antennas I guess.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I was teaching myself React (a Javascript library) I wrote a thing that pulled data from Scryfall for all cards from my cube, and also a way to do a Winchester Draft online and spit out the list into something you could paste into a deck builder. I don't know anything about databases or handling hundreds or thousands of people submitting their cubes all at the same time, but it was a fun project. I'm sure the filtering data and display portion (with some minor Firebase database handling which is probably not the preferred way to handle a very large project like CubeTutor) is just scratching the surface of what needs to be done though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

odiv posted:

Maybe they're that doofus on twitter that doesn't know the difference between a GP or MC?

https://twitter.com/therealtedster/status/1153117519152128000

Responses were real good too

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1153137481354584064

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lone Goat posted:

also fake

people have been spewing this CORPRATE TOLD THEM TEY HAEB TO MAKE LANDS RARE!!!!!! for years but nobody has every been able to point to a single actual citation

Okay "every set has a rare land cycle but it's for a reason that isn't a corporate edict which is functionally different because :words:"

Pretend I put all caps and misspellings in there too

Hauki
May 11, 2010

odiv posted:

no, it’s just a jab at wotc willfully making GBS threads all over any semblance of coverage for the rest of their competitive scene

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Okay "every set has a rare land cycle but it's for a reason that isn't a corporate edict which is functionally different because :words:"

Pretend I put all caps and misspellings in there too

Rare lands make it so that other rares are guaranteed to be less expensive which is more beneficial for casual players, which is the actual target audience for WotC

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m going to be sleeving up Etron for GP Minneapolis, and I am still very much learning the deck though. I’m thinking of running this list, and would appreciate feedback.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22514&f=MO

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Valicious posted:

I’m going to be sleeving up Etron for GP Minneapolis, and I am still very much learning the deck though. I’m thinking of running this list, and would appreciate feedback.

Looks fine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The BfZ full-art basics are now on sale in Arena.

They also added the Unhinged full-arts but I think you need to win those from the upcoming weekly Events one at a time.

They also added sweet old arts like the Mirage basics, but I'm not sure how you acquire those.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Valicious posted:

Looks good.
I like Trap instead of leyline for GY hate, but not sure if it is better or worse.

Better against natures claim, but not as hardcore.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

qbert posted:

They also added the Unhinged full-arts but I think you need to win those from the upcoming weekly Events one at a time.

They also added sweet old arts like the Mirage basics, but I'm not sure how you acquire those.

Probably through the new "Chronicles" style events that are coming up.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-izzet-phoenix-63536#paper

I don’t own the Tarns. What are the next best couple lands to replace those with?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Kjermzs posted:

I don’t own the Tarns. What are the next best couple lands to replace those with?

Fetch lands that get either blue or red but not both. Deck runs 2 already, just add more

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Kjermzs posted:

What uggy said, or prismatic vistas, or another islet. Could also just bump up your steam vent numbers, and if you're on a serious budget you could find shivan reefs. They're all going to be markedly worse than a scalding tarn but you'll be close enough if you're just playing locals.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Thanks! I’ll strive towards the other feteches. I own a second Islet, 2 more Shocks and the Shiven Reefs. Do the Vistas work well enough?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think you’d definitely wanna play more shocks if you use off color fetches too

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
So I will +2 Vista, +2 Shock to replace the Tarns for now.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
It definitely still needs iteration but I'm going to go ahead and say Jund Skelemental is both real and brutal. Really question with the deck is which name to go with; Jund, Alive! or JUNeartheD

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

qbert posted:

I still don't know how to change land art in Arena. :v:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I still don't know how to change land art in Arena. :v:

filter by basic land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Typhus733 posted:

It definitely still needs iteration but I'm going to go ahead and say Jund Skelemental is both real and brutal. Really question with the deck is which name to go with; Jund, Alive! or JUNeartheD

Any name for the deck that doesn't include the word skelemental is doing a disservice to both the deck and the word skelemental, which is a very good word.