Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Speaking of Plex, is there a preferred standalone box that can handle transcoding 1080p for Plex? I run it on my main desktop right now, but I'm not wild about it having on my main machine, especially with the port open through my firewall to allow my friends to access it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VacaGrande posted:

CX-5? It's ~20hp down but is better in every other way (yes I've driven both). The Mazda feels like way more of a premium product than the Mercedes, which is insane.

My brother just bought a '19 CX-5. It's definitely down on power, especially since it's a larger vehicle. The turbo 4 in the CX-5 would make a difference, but Mazda is super $$$proud of that motor for some reason.

And it's all speculation anyway, I just bought the GLA. :rolleyes:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be worse. 1993. Start of the mid 90s depression. Feburary. And you fox-body Thunderbird's rust is terminal. So you gotta buy from Jerry, and escape this disappearing land...

1987 Mazda Wagon, even without knowing which one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NumbersMatching320 posted:

1987 Mazda Wagon, even without knowing which one.

That or the 87 Nissan truck, if you want something reliable. 92 323 is a good car, but way overpriced.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
HP server chat: I worked for their enterprise arm as G5 ProLiants were getting cycled out of the product line I worked on (2013-15.)

Storage DL380s configured for use with external arrays all had a PCI-E SAS card connecting them to the array. The internal array controllers lack a provision to interface with both the internal drive bays and an external array IIRC.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Forgive my lack of server/workstation-class knowledge, but 2 x 2.5" drive trays? Is that it? External drive array, then? I mean, the Mac uses a LaCie 4Big Firewire/USB/eSATA external RAID (and I have 3 more of those), so used to that.

I'm on my phone and haven't researched it but I looks like it has space above the bays for an expansion bay. So you would either get one that's already installed or buy one. Something like this http://tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4184608

HP microservers are pretty good as a DIY NAS appliance https://buy.hpe.com/b2c/us/en/servers/proliant-microserver/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10/p/1009955118

There are DIY server/NAS chassis out there if you want something more flexible or with more bays.

Or just buy something from synology

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Galler posted:

I'm on my phone and haven't researched it but I looks like it has space above the bays for an expansion bay. So you would either get one that's already installed or buy one. Something like this http://tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4184608

HP microservers are pretty good as a DIY NAS appliance https://buy.hpe.com/b2c/us/en/servers/proliant-microserver/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10/p/1009955118

There are DIY server/NAS chassis out there if you want something more flexible or with more bays.

Or just buy something from synology

Neat, thanks. I'll look around.
Would actually like to fool around with Docker and stuff like that. I don't mind the desktop gig, but gotta look forward a bit. I only have to keep this going for another 15 or so years... (who am I kidding - Trump and his ilk will bankrupt everything and I'll be working until I die.)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I told you all that the Toyota brainworms are infecting me.

Speaking of which I just posted a new update to my thread. Read along for fun you jerkasses

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ooo, hey, I just noticed that one of the plugins for freenas is Transmit. I can use it instead of running my massive 2012 Mac Pro 24/7 for Bittorrent.
Looks like I could also use one of my old Mac Pros (if I still have one handy) for FreeNAS, though dang those things suck up the watts.

edit: WTF, FreeNAS' website is down for maintenance in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

The clutch in GF's Matrix is seriously an on/off switch with very little slip point. It's on its second clutch, but I remember it being like that when she first bought it (new). I drive it pretty often, and I still stall the drat thing at least once a week.

I'm used to the stupid heavy flywheel and very forgiving clutch in my Saturn, so that's not helping. You have to really work to stall it.

Kinda surprised to hear that, cause the 1zz in her car has more low RPM torques, and probably a heavier flywheel than my XRS. Was it like that from new, or worse with the replacement clutch? I haven't stalled it yet (I mean since I got it back). :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I told you all that the Toyota brainworms are infecting me.

Speaking of which I just posted a new update to my thread. Read along for fun you jerkasses

Your Toyota is fine. It's not Toyotas I don't like.
I'd really like an mid-2000s LX myself, or a Land Cruiser. I'll even take a Sequoia or even a slightly older 4Runner. It's just the front end on the newer 4Runners I dislike, and the protruding lights.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jeep I looked at was a POS and the guy selling it was posing as a private seller, turned out to be a dealer. gently caress this poo poo.

Also drove a Prius C......Lol WAY too slow, the rental Sentra I have feels like a rocket ship in comparison.

I have a rental Sentra right now and was very prepared to hate it but its... pretty competent. The CVT is weird and it's a bit cheap feeling but it's got huge interior space for a small car, it does pretty well over bumps and highway. I was shocked. I'd never buy one but I can see why someone wanting a cheap appliance would. Even lovely cars are pretty good these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a rental Sentra right now and was very prepared to hate it but its... pretty competent. The CVT is weird and it's a bit cheap feeling but it's got huge interior space for a small car, it does pretty well over bumps and highway. I was shocked. I'd never buy one but I can see why someone wanting a cheap appliance would. Even lovely cars are pretty good these days.

Yeah now that I'm used to the CVT and have changed the way i drive with it, it's more liveable for sure. Better on the highway than i expected. For a cheap driving appliance it's not bad i guess, I'd take it if someone gave it to me :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I got a Prius C for an Uber one night; I thought it had a fair amount of quickness to it. Seemed fairly well appointed.

Now, I've only had one car with more than 200hp, so I may be a bit biased...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I owned a prius C for a few years and put about 40k a year on it. I traded it in with 130k or so. Nothing ever broke on it and it averaged about 47mpg. Great commuter car.

But drat was it ever slow. So slow very slow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be worse. 1993. Start of the mid 90s depression. Feburary. And you fox-body Thunderbird's rust is terminal. So you gotta buy from Jerry, and escape this disappearing land...

1986 ramcharger for $3K. If it were still around and not a pile of iron oxide HAHAHAHA it might have actually appreciated.

Had to go out of town today and was listening to the Muller testimony so got drive-thru, which was a KFC Big Crunch. I haven't had one in ages and wasn't shockingly swimming in grease. Ate it, about to hit the road to come home 2 hours later. Was hot day and had a couple hours behind the wheel imminent and a little munchy, pulled through the drive DQ drive-thru and ordered a large blizzard.

I think I had the calories for the rest of the month in that 3 hours. And that was what I've eaten for all day. Jesus christ, I'm a literal child.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I just ate two packets of nong shim black ramen (the best easily available poo poo ever, like 2$ à pack and huge), a pound and a half of grilled chicken, a pound of okra I poached in the liquid, and two eggs I also poached in the liquid. Needed more egg.

Get on my level

E: like 3100 calories. I've done better for a meal. Meh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryrobots posted:

Kinda surprised to hear that, cause the 1zz in her car has more low RPM torques, and probably a heavier flywheel than my XRS. Was it like that from new, or worse with the replacement clutch? I haven't stalled it yet (I mean since I got it back). :v:

It seems like it got a little worse after the new clutch, but it's always been really touchy (it got a new flywheel, but I assume a stock weight replacement). And if this has more low RPM torque... :laffo: I feel like I have to rev it to the moon to get it motivated. And it sounds angry (in a buzzy, unhappy way) once you get past about 4500. That's probably the exhaust more than anything though, the original muffler is pretty buzzy. I wouldn't be surprised if the muffler's guts are falling apart, since it has 15 years of short trips and very few drives over 15 minutes under its belt.

Looks like the stock 2ZZ flywheel is 13 lbs, but I can't find anything on how much the 1ZZ flywheel weighs. The one in my car is a whopping 23 pounds. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to the heavy as hell flywheel.

e: found the Sachs part number for the 1ZZ, 17 pounds. What the gently caress? It seems like it revs way too easily to have such a heavy flywheel. I wonder if they put something lighter in?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 25, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SOME DUDE TOLD ME IM A CHAD

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Did you crush him with your enormous chin?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I just ate two packets of nong shim black ramen (the best easily available poo poo ever, like 2$ à pack and huge), a pound and a half of grilled chicken, a pound of okra I poached in the liquid, and two eggs I also poached in the liquid. Needed more egg.

Get on my level

Whoa, I'm aware of red Nong Shim ramen which is real good but I've never seen black. Gotta check this out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I'm nto seeing the problem with that?

I mean, not with you being called a Chad. The fact the other guy might be a Incel is a worry but not your problem.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

You have arrived.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm nto seeing the problem with that?

I mean, not with you being called a Chad. The fact the other guy might be a Incel is a worry but not your problem.

I spend a bit of my spare time baiting incels on Facebook and this dude bit HARD. Ranted that I was a Chad because I was a jock and married Stacey and that I was hosed when the Beat uprising happened and then blocked me.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Get on my level

The black packets are the super extra spicy ones right? Mmmmm.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Get on my level

Jesus dude are you a defensive lineman in the NFL or something?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T-Square posted:

The black packets are the super extra spicy ones right? Mmmmm.

I'd say slightly spicy.

Get some Sanyang 2x Spicy Hot if you want a little bit of fire.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

Legit suggestions: either a ‘13-‘14 Mercedes GL450 (4.7 TT V8) which is in every possible way a better car than a Flex/MKT/Explorer/other FoMoCo shitshows built on the same platform, or possibly a 08-11 Land Cruiser or LX570. The GL450 is a better/more practical car than any of the above, but the LC/LX come with bulletproof reliability. You can find examples of any of these around $20k now.

Seriously don’t buy a Flex.

I looked at these last night. I think a V8 TT is a hilarious proposition, especially on a higher mileage (~100k miles) merc to fit in my budget. This would be an only car so I don't think I'm comfortable with that prospect. I don't see them being cheap to maintain, but I don't know much about them admittedly. I didn't see any LC or LX570s within 200 miles within the budget by doing a quick search.

Honestly I'm getting sick of trying to find the right thing and about to give up and get something lovely and cheap since it's going to be fodder for babies and toddlers for the next few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Honestly I'm getting sick of trying to find the right thing and about to give up and get something lovely and cheap since it's going to be fodder for babies and toddlers for the next few years.

In the same situation right now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

I'd say slightly spicy.

Get some Sanyang 2x Spicy Hot if you want a little bit of fire.

Well, sure. There's a red nong shim packet, I can't remember which is the spicier one.

We used to hang out with a group of Korean guys that were international students here, and they looooved getting us white boys to eat their favorite spicy ramen and they were all staring at me wide-eyed waiting for me to give in to the spiciness the first time, but it was delicious so I didn't.

I miss those dudes :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

In the same situation right now.

Assuming you aren't having kids though still or did that change? Really going to rub it in to those incels then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Assuming you aren't having kids though still or did that change? Really going to rub it in to those incels then.

Nope, no kids or plans for them ever. But we're trying to find the right truck/crossover to fit our needs and it's really frustrating.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Replacing stuff chat:

I need to replace my nice Viair portable 12v air compressor that met its untimely end in the garage fire. It put up with a lot of abuse and always was a trooper, but it was a bit slow. I think mine was the 300P model.

I really don't need 100% duty cycle for my use (car tires, bike tires, and refilling the 33-35" tires of my ~*~offroad vehicles~*~ when coming back off a trail) - per Viair's site I suspect it was capable of less than 2 CFM however. I also had a twin ARB under-hood unit in the garage that's also gone now, and while that will be good for airing up on the Land Cruiser once I also replace that, I really enjoyed the versatility of being able to drop the 300P onto any 12v battery and fill up.

Is there another brand/model you guys also think I should be looking at? Call it a up-to $500 budget for a kickass portable.

Edit: the 440P looks like their highest-volume portable at 3.0 CFM at 0 PSI...

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 25, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

we're trying to find the right truck/crossover to fit our needs and it's really frustrating.

You drove around in a PT Cruiser and liked it, it's not like you have standards so what's the deal? :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I think you misspelled chode. :imunfunny:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you misspelled chode. :imunfunny:

Point of order: can someone explain chad vs chud

Also, in the I don't know what it means and I'm too afraid to ask category: thot?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tremek posted:

Also, in the I don't know what it means and I'm too afraid to ask category: thot?

That ho over there I think

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tremek posted:

That ho over there. It's a polite way to say "that oval office" or "that slut."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tremek posted:

Chad is literally a dude who's not hideous looking, dresses well, has confidence and can speak to (and therefore sleep with) women. If you ever want to feel better about yourself google the word 'incel' and witness how broke-brained some guys are.

Chud is reserved for right wing shitlords of varying types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tremek posted:

Chud is "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers" from the '80s movie of the same name and now people use it to mean "white people who aren't extreme liberals".