Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Heran Bago posted:

How gay can you be in this one?

like four or five women and one dude is bisexual, though the support convo is the same.

there are a couple of other gay potential couples without Byleth tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1 hour until the review embargo embargoes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
edit: wrong thread

Tae fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 25, 2019

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
The whole "normal has 0-time map"+"you recruit units based on weapon ranks"+"units that you don't recruit will probably end up dead"+"characters so far have seemed pretty likeable" is very much pushing me towards doing a normal run, grinding everything and then saving most of the cast by signing them up to work for the Empress. I know that sans-grinding you only can likely recruit a couple of characters because of the time limit, but any word if, with the ability to grind, you can just make off with the whole school baring the other house leaders and their personal henchmen?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You can recruit from other houses after the timeskip so you don’t have to kill everyone at least.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Had to wait fifteen minutes past midnight, but the digital version is out in Australia.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apparently Kotaku's review has pretty big spoilers in it, so do not read that review.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

The support is underwhelming actually. Manuella works better for either of them.

I looked up who that is and actually I'm gonna marry her now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody preorder the digital version on amazon that can tell me when the code unlocks?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

I looked up who that is and actually I'm gonna marry her now

yeah she seems rad

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Apparently Kotaku's review has pretty big spoilers in it, so do not read that review.

Why would anybody read Kotaku

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Why would anybody read Kotaku

Well if they want to read spoilers, I guess.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Have they confirmed dragon loving yet

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The Duchess Smackarse posted:

Have they confirmed dragon loving yet

There are four dragons to potentially romance, though Sothis is the only one available on every route.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Reports of how gay you can be are pretty disappointing so far.

https://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/fire-emblem-three-houses-review/

quote:

A brief but important note for those interested in exploring same-sex romance options: I played as a male protagonist and chose to pursue Alois, one of three male characters with a potential S-rank Support level. At a critical juncture near the end of the game, I was given the opportunity to give a ring to him as a symbol of my love (and the game does indeed use the word “love”), cementing what I thought would be a romantic relationship. I am disappointed to report that the game explicitly writes around this prospect, going so far as to establish a strict sibling-esque relationship and stating that the player went on to wed someone else during the game’s pre-credit sequence. A dearth of romantic options would have been frustrating; a bait-and-switch denial of time invested in what I thought was a potential relationship is worse.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Me, a gay man, after dating someone for years: "Will you take this ring as a symbol of my love and marry me?

Alois: "lol no homo. Marry my sister instead."

Me: "k"

- a video game love story, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's some buuuuuuuuullshit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Thankfully it's the only one like that according to the leaks.

Still lovely though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Thankfully it's the only one like that according to the leaks.

If so that honestly makes it all the more baffling as to why.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Avalerion posted:

If so that honestly makes it all the more baffling as to why.

Like that bait and switch is so abrupt, from the sounds of it, that I wonder if writing the support and writing the ending were split between two people who had very different ideas about that relationship.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Who at IntSys thought that was a good idea. Like, surprise straight marriage is unbelievably lovely when you’re trying to get gay married, but ending up straight married to someone else when you try and straight marry him is baffling too. I’m not sure if it makes it more or less offensive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Like that bait and switch is so abrupt, from the sounds of it, that I wonder if writing the support and writing the ending were split between two people who had very different ideas about that relationship.

They might be. A bunch of the supports are romantic even though the ultimate ending for them seems platonic when taken alone.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

IGN Review is out:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/07/25/fire-emblem-three-houses-review

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Terper posted:

It's really only a spoiler if you know literally nothing about the structure of the game, have no understanding of how fire emblem plots work, and have a broke brain understanding of what a spoiler is.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ippei_painter/status/1154323982822207488

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Weird question that might require spoilers:

Is Byleth some pre-destined, magically gifted Mary-Sue like Corrin? I read the OP and it said your head gets inhabited by some dragon girl...but that doesn't really explain much.

I know the game deals with nobles and commoners and in the end, none of that really matters, but I like that like Ike, it seems Byleth is just a mercenary who gets really good through hard work and diligence. To then have them be another magic, overpowered "chosen one" would be kinda meh.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Safari Disco Lion posted:

hahahahaha what in the gently caress it's actually as lovely as it sounded

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Is Byleth some pre-destined, magically gifted Mary-Sue like Corrin? I read the OP and it said your head gets inhabited by some dragon girl...but that doesn't really explain much.

I know the game deals with nobles and commoners and in the end, none of that really matters, but I like that like Ike, it seems Byleth is just a mercenary who gets really good through hard work and diligence. To then have them be another magic, overpowered "chosen one" would be kinda meh.
They have a special crest (impyling they have some kind of important ancestry) and a magic sword, but I mean, Ike was the son of the world's best swordsman and also had a magic sword. IMO the bigger issue with Corrin was how every other character in the game was obsessed with them, which doesn't really seem to be the case here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

hahahahaha what in the gently caress it's actually as lovely as it sounded

The same thing happens in Alois's S Support if you're a female Byleth, I'm pretty sure. I think it's just an incredibly bizarre writing choice, not a 'no homo' thing. I'm gonna guess that originally Byleth had A support but no S supports, and some A supports were romantic and some weren't, and this is a leftover of that. Of course if that's the case they should definitely have let at least like, Dimitri gay marry a dude Byleth. But I don't think this is an active case of 'no dudefucking allowed' or anything.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Remember this when choosing a side:

Steer Clear of the Deer

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Kirios posted:

Remember this when choosing a side:

Steer Clear of the Deer

But Claude is just so dang handsome...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Players paid attention to the previous games in which Rank S support was always exactly synonymous with marriage, and they carried that expectation forward to the new game, in which they seem to use it to mean just a uniquely close relationship of some sort. This is a reasonable and trivially predictable expectation, but the developers seem not to have anticipated it, because they did nothing to alleviate the confusion and disappointment arising from its invalidation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Byleth is (vague spoilers) is a chosen one but not really for any Mary Sue reasons. In fact they are sort of the opposite of a destined one.

Edit:. \/ I'll just leave it at it's complicated

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 25, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mokinokaro posted:

Byleth is (vague spoilers) is a chosen one but not really for any Mary Sue reasons. In fact they are sort of the opposite of a destined one.

dont they have literally the same crest and weapon as the ancient villain from a thousand years ago

You’d figure they’re marked for some pretty dark poo poo for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Players paid attention to the previous games in which Rank S support was always exactly synonymous with marriage, and they carried that expectation forward to the new game, in which they seem to use it to mean just a uniquely close relationship of some sort. This is a reasonable and trivially predictable expectation, but the developers seem not to have anticipated it, because they did nothing to alleviate the confusion and disappointment arising from its invalidation.
Yeah, imo this game would have been better dropping S supports for Byleth entirely like they did for the rest of the cast, and then denoting which A supports had a romantic paired ending with some kind of icon.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I went in knowing I'd choose Edelgard, but holy hell does Claude's voice actor do a great job making me almost regret that choice, dude oozes charm. Golden Deer will be my second run, for sure.

Anyway, only played about an hour, up to the first free day, a few notes:

- Graphics are fine so far, character models are nice. Monastery is a bit plain, but you don't play FE for the visuals, I suppose!
- Text is pretty small on handheld. Menus are very pleasant.
- Who's Hanneman's voice actor? I swear that voice is from Skyrim or Fallout or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm switching to Blue Lions, because they are apparently the most gay of all the houses. Gotta poach Linhardt for my Byleth though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

- Who's Hanneman's voice actor? I swear that voice is from Skyrim or Fallout or something.
Daniel Woren, doesn't seem like he was in those (unless he was an uncredited extra) but he is a few voices in Dynasty Warriors and Arthur in Marvel vs Capcom 3. And Igor in Persona 4.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endorph posted:

They have a special crest (impyling they have some kind of important ancestry) and a magic sword, but I mean, Ike was the son of the world's best swordsman and also had a magic sword. IMO the bigger issue with Corrin was how every other character in the game was obsessed with them, which doesn't really seem to be the case here.

Mehhhh

So how does it work with commoner characters? Do they just not have any special skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you can't gently caress Alois even as a girl? wow, even daddy fuckers aren't thrown a bone here.