Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They have waves (google hair waves if you don't know what those are).

Cornrows are...not that, they're tightly knitted shorter hair braiding that typically goes vertically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Aren't they usually depicted in classic comics with short/kinky hair?

I guess? But it still threw me a little.

That just looks weird. The art is great. The creative choice on Osborne hair though...it feels like father and son just got back from a trip to the Bahamas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s like Jughead’s hat or Dagwood’s sash in that it’s a stylized take on something that once kind of existed, but if you didn’t grow up in the 30s and did grow up reading spiderman comics, you just reproduce it without really getting what it’s supposed to be.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’d translate into wavy, gelled until crunchy hair

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Think like Joe Cotten from The Third Man:

There used to be products that men would put in their hair that aren’t really used any more. He had straight hair as an old man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1152176759007305729

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really, REALLY want Leopardon in the sequel after the original comic utterly wasted him.

He got a spinoff story in Spider-Geddon (written by a goon, no less) that gives him the respect he deserves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

it feels like father and son just got back from a trip to the Bahamas.
Eh.

I agree, looks like a stylized take on something without a good reference

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen Spider-Verse since it was in theaters. Did Peter B. ever wear his mask while he was in Miles's universe? I honestly don't remember him wearing a mask.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen Spider-Verse since it was in theaters. Did Peter B. ever wear his mask while he was in Miles's universe? I honestly don't remember him wearing a mask.

Yup.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also,

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ugh, I actually met that guy when he was my state's insurance commissioner. He's about as pleasant as he looks. Did you just do a GIS for wavy man hair to get that?

I get it, it's a silly thing to critique the comic for. It just made me do a double take. The rest of the first issue is really good and costs like .99 cents for the Kindle version.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know nothing about him, just that his picture got posted the last time I saw a conversation about how Norman Osborne's hair would look IRL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

During the infiltration of Liz's lab, the fight at May's, the waiter scene at Fisk's, during the last fight as well.

Also, two funny-rear end moments in May's -- she quickly places a coaster under the cup of coffee Ham places on the table, and shortly before the villains bust in the group places their masks on (Ham already had his on and just kind of, snaps it in place anyway)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Can’t believe I only just realized thanks to the thread that Peni is partially a riff on this:

Kind of? She was originally just straight up an Evangelion homage. The spiders venom was getting pumped into her brain to bond her with SP//DR the Spider-Eva. They fight Mysterio who is (or just piloting. I forget) a giant floating eyeball.

Japanese Spider-Man had a good manga style story in one of the Spidergeddon one shots, by the goon who usually writes Spider Punk.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FilthyImp posted:

Aren't they usually depicted in classic comics with short/kinky hair?

I swear there was an old Spider-Man story where Sandman turned out to be related to Norman Osborn... because he also had that hair.

E: Yeop.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 22, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

I swear there was an old Spider-Man story where Sandman turned out to be related to Norman Osborn... because he also had that hair.

E: Yeop.

We don't talk about Chapter One.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We don't talk about Chapter One.

Was that a Spider-Man era that was universally reviled?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was that a Spider-Man era that was universally reviled?

It's up (or is it down?) there with the worst of the Clone Saga and One More Day, yeah. It was at one point intended to be a reboot of Peter's origins for the main universe like Byrne did for Superman, but even as it was coming out Marvel was telling other writers to stick with the classic origin.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh, what have I done?! :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, what have I done?! :ohdear:

It's not your fault, you didn't know. It could have been worse, you could have posted Spider-Verse (the original comic). Which aside from 'a bunch of Spider-Men' team up, basically has nothing in common with the movie. But it did kind of kill off or otherwise mess up a bunch of actually cool characters. Like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends? They get murked. The Peter Parker who retired and had a daughter who became Spider-Girl and had her own book that lasted for 100+ issues? Also dead. And as was previously mentioned, Japanese Spider-Man, the guy with his own giant robot (and I think kind of innovated the sentai show), basically did jack poo poo. Literally the only good things that came out of it is I think Spider-Gwen - and this movie, obviously. Hell, it didn't even invent the idea of a team of alternate-universe Spider-Men - the 90s cartoon did it first.

Actually, they're doing a new Spider-Verse comic, which seems to be taking its cues from this movie by having Miles be the lead. Also, it's written by the goon who did the great Leopardon story for Spider-Geddon (which was a better sequel - at the very least when it came to the tie-in books).

Yes, that is Aunt May as the Amazing Spider-Ma'am.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This movie is so good you guys. Just wanted to get that out there, not sure if anyone committed to this objectively correct assessment yet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

McSpanky posted:

This movie is so good you guys. Just wanted to get that out there, not sure if anyone committed to this objectively correct assessment yet.

:hmmyes:

Another detail about that Spider-Verse comic: apparently they've reached out to a bunch of people posting Spidersonas to put them in the book.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yvonmukluk posted:

:hmmyes:

Another detail about that Spider-Verse comic: apparently they've reached out to a bunch of people posting Spidersonas to put them in the book.

This is rad

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Once again; really hope Insomniac are exploring a feature for Spidersonas in the next game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want to play a mission in Spider-Man 2 where you have to rescue MJ from a giant gorilla who throws barrels at you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Same, but you're Spider-Gorilla

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vulpes is currently writing Black Cat and has written a bunch of good comics so far y'all should check out his books.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I missed the bit the first time around where you see Peter Porker's origin story, where they have only a little emphasis on how he was a spider bitten by a radioactive pig. Also the only part where you see him out of costume.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Question while I'm at it; does the giant Green Goblin in the start have precedent in the comics or elsewhere? Also, was he killed in the first explosion?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That’s basically ultimate green goblin from the ultimate universe comics (that Miles also originated in),

He’s more like the Hulk than your traditional green goblin, gets big, strong, has some sort of fiery hand blasts/breath.

As to whether he was killed? Meh, doesn’t matter really. They’ll probably decide that when/if they make a sequel or spinoff that just shows a regular Miles spider adventure with no spiderverse shenanigans and he fights his universes sinister six or something.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 2, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Question while I'm at it; does the giant Green Goblin in the start have precedent in the comics or elsewhere?

He's not as big as in the movie, but huge, full on monster Goblin is from Ultimate Spider Man

e: e;b

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, was he killed in the first explosion?
Really looks like he bit it, but it's comic movies so who knows.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m sure this came up at some point but why the gently caress is his dad named Jefferson Davis

Not the Davis part I get the miles davis joke

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DeimosRising posted:

I’m sure this came up at some point but why the gently caress is his dad named Jefferson Davis

Not the Davis part I get the miles davis joke

Mostly a lot of stupid stuff in the original comic where they hid the relationship between Jefferson and Aaron for a dramatic reveal by having Jefferson go by Morales. And the white dude writer really didn't think through the implication of Jefferson's last name being Davis.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Zore posted:

Mostly a lot of stupid stuff in the original comic where they hid the relationship between Jefferson and Aaron for a dramatic reveal by having Jefferson go by Morales. And the white dude writer really didn't think through the implication of Jefferson's last name being Davis.

What an unforgivably dumb oversight haha

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zore posted:

No way

How could you not notice

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so jefferson took his wife's last name?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zore posted:

Aaron and Jeff being brothers is not a big dramatic reveal in the original Ultimate run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brother Entropy posted:

so jefferson took his wife's last name?

Miles took his mom’s last name.