Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Looked through that white paper and one of the things they mentioned is the new Type 15 light tank which seems kind of like our MPF program. The obvious application to my untrained eye would be either the border with India or Taiwan, and indeed there's a picture floating around of the thing in the PLAN's derp aquaflage pattern.

Somehow emphasizing a vehicle like that comes off as more threatening to me than if they'd been boosting a new MBT, because of its application for overseas adventures.

Sidenote: if there were a clearer sign that the PLA is cargo culting the US military than them copying the Navy's dumbest uniform ever, I can't think of one.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mortabis posted:

Looked through that white paper and one of the things they mentioned is the new Type 15 light tank which seems kind of like our MPF program. The obvious application to my untrained eye would be either the border with India or Taiwan, and indeed there's a picture floating around of the thing in the PLAN's derp aquaflage pattern.

Somehow emphasizing a vehicle like that comes off as more threatening to me than if they'd been boosting a new MBT, because of its application for overseas adventures.

Sidenote: if there were a clearer sign that the PLA is cargo culting the US military than them copying the Navy's dumbest uniform ever, I can't think of one.

Goddamnit we are sea war fighters.

Guacamole isn’t any better. Bring back the dungarees.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

There's a couple of interesting things going on with the Type 15.

First, while it has an amphibious capability, it is more focused on river crossings -- it isn't a blue water tank. That is the realm of the ZLT/ZBD-05s, and to a lesser extent the Type 63s. The Type 15 is more of a direct replacement for the Type 62, which are now old as hell and virtually useless in a modern campaign but still in surprisingly wide service. These are more like "rough terrain" tanks, so their attention is on mountain/jungle/river regions where the heavies can't go.

What appears to be happening is that the PLAA fell in love with the Type 15, and at about the same time, discovered how hideously expensive the Type 99/99As are. So, it made a lot of sense to use a low/hi approach with their tanks, which means buying a lot of Type 15s, and having them augment the 99s, instead of buying relatively few 99s.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I was gonna say don't those old 1960s Soviet knockoff light amphibious tanks need replacing? That's probably why they are acquiring this thing more than any specific plans.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Honestly lighter tanks with both better range/mobility and room for growth with regards to stuff like APS make a lot of sense in general.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So the B-21 has a scheduled first flight, December 3, 2021. I don’t understand the intent of announcing such a thing so far out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't think they'd have a flight-ready prototype slapped together so fast.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yea roughly 5 years to first flight on a presumably clean sheet design is super fast.

MrYenko posted:

So the B-21 has a scheduled first flight, December 3, 2021. I don’t understand the intent of announcing such a thing so far out.

Puts pressure on NGC to get it done by then. When the press hears about a major delay in a major high profile weapons program it tends to hurt executives careers and the stock price.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Haven't there been mysterious sightings of "not B-2s" around that indicate that the B-21 has already flown?

Or I guess more probably that would've been some sort of X series demonstrator and this is referring to the production version which would probably be relatively low risk at this point.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

Haven't there been mysterious sightings of "not B-2s" around that indicate that the B-21 has already flown?

Or I guess more probably that would've been some sort of X series demonstrator and this is referring to the production version which would probably be relatively low risk at this point.

The contract phase is SD&D not LRIP so I'd speculate that anything that was supposed to be a flying test bed would look more like a commercial plane with a bunch of bumps on it and no windows rather than triangular shaped.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MrYenko posted:

"Our bomber replacement project is for real this time and not vaporware."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Everything about the project indicates that it's evolutionary work, not revolutionary: putting the lessons and technologies from the F-22 and F-35 into a bomber platform. I think it's good that they're not trying to swing for the fences, just put a solid hit in play so that the B-52 can finally get home.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I assumed the prototyping had already been done, so the first flight is of the preproduction prototype, or similar.

Speaking of LO observable, is that invasion of Area 51 happening or has social media raised my hopes only to dash them again

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ice Fist posted:

I know that. But I've never heard of an interceptor doing that. I thought at worst they showed the intruder they were armed with missiles by rolling and flashing their undersides, not actually firing live shots.

How many other incidents in say, the last ten years, have their been of an interceptor actually firing on an airspace intruder with live rounds as a warning? 2 second burst or not it seems much more serious than a standard interception.

Yeah, it's a pretty big deal because of how it escalates poo poo and what the consequences of something going wrong are. Any time live ordinance is used there's the possibility that it goes somewhere you don't want it to. A warning shot accidentally landing hits is how poo poo goes real bad real fast. The only times i can really think of them being used in recent memory are with nautical interceptions where there is just an obscene overmatch of force and the next step is to start shooting to disable - think coast guard interceptions of drug runners, etc. Way lower stakes than putting a round over the bow of the Russians or Chinese.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that the smallest burst they can fire? Iirc they can set the burst size on most fighters with the M61.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I assumed the prototyping had already been done, so the first flight is of the preproduction prototype, or similar.

Speaking of LO observable, is that invasion of Area 51 happening or has social media raised my hopes only to dash them again

Area 51 is a meme, no more no less.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Area 51 thing theoretically isn't until September 20 so you still have plenty of time to make plans to get there. The facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/448435052621047/

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

gohuskies posted:

The Area 51 thing theoretically isn't until September 20 so you still have plenty of time to make plans to get there. The facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/448435052621047/

I want this to happen.

https://youtu.be/uU0DNCV22dU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The whole thing led to what I assume was an amazing briefing featuring a goony looking air force 1LT demonstrating the naruto run

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mortabis posted:

The whole thing led to what I assume was an amazing briefing featuring a goony looking air force 1LT demonstrating the naruto run

Bad powerpoint template with awful color choices, ridiculous simulator/mockup that isn't used for anything, huge fuckin nerd presenting. This is a completely legit Air Force briefing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

I know that. But I've never heard of an interceptor doing that. I thought at worst they showed the intruder they were armed with missiles by rolling and flashing their undersides, not actually firing live shots.
The russian took the piss for a long rear end time, and got 2 rounds of shots across the bow. Then they gloated about SK not being able to do poo poo about people intruding into their ADIZ. Which is good, unless planes are over territorial waters IAD has no business shooting live at them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

The russian took the piss for a long rear end time, and got 2 rounds of shots across the bow. Then they gloated about SK not being able to do poo poo about people intruding into their ADIZ. Which is good, unless planes are over territorial waters IAD has no business shooting live at them.

If I understand it right the Chinese and Russian planes were over what most of the world considers a "rock" which cannot be claimed by a nation to create territorial waters. Except, Japan and Korea both consider the rock an island that belongs to them and therefore both believe its their territory, so from the perspective of the 4 countries involved the following occurred:
Korea: An RoK interceptor intercepted Russian and Chinese aircraft illegally violating Korean air space.
Japan: An RoK interceptor, Russian A-50 and some Chinese bombers illegally violated Japanese airspace.
Russia/China: An RoK interceptor illegally attacked aircraft exercising the right of innocent passage through international airspace

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Area 51 is a meme, no more no less.

For 2-3% of the population it’s totally real.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Murgos posted:

For 2-3% of the population it’s totally real.

For 2-3% of the population anything is real. Keep switching the 2-3% around and everything is real. Makes you think.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
So uh, it might have been a little worse than just a little too much drinking:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/25/marines-arrested-16-detained-human-smuggling-drug-related-cases/1829432001/

e: oh wait this is a completely separate incident from the SEAL thing a day ago

Mortabis posted:

Hooooooly gently caress, this might be the best thing I've ever seen.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

LingcodKilla posted:

Goddamnit we are sea war fighters.

Guacamole isn’t any better. Bring back the dungarees.

The RCN figured out in the late 60s that dressing sailors up like soldiers has disastrous implications for morale and retention.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Hooooooly gently caress, this might be the best thing I've ever seen.
This is why you always give your briefings in the Vault, that way if you say/do something stupid, odds are no one has a camera phone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fearless posted:

The RCN figured out in the late 60s that dressing sailors up like soldiers has disastrous implications for morale and retention.

Seriously wearing camo is more embarrassing than wearing bell bottoms.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lmao. Trump sends military to support CBP. Marines instead smuggle in migrants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

Lmao. Trump sends military to support CBP. Marines instead smuggle in migrants.

Link or is it dependa smuggling?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Good thing China's strategy is to only used conventionally armed missiles.

China has built a staggering arsenal of conventional ballistic missiles. If they were going to go nuclear, I assume they wouldn't bother. I assume the U.S. assumes that too, since THAAD is not built to win a nuclear war and we're making them anyway.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/16-marines-arrested-human-smuggling-drug-charges-n1034661

quote:

None of the arrested or detained Marines were a part of the Southwest Border Support mission, according to the military's statement.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I feel bad for their platoon leaders

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Being forced to draft a "not getting embroiled in a human trafficking ring" safety plan must be a pain in the rear end.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
Well at least its official that the US will be building new ICBM's. Its only been 50 years since we developed an operational ICBM (since the Peacekeeper is long gone and the Midgetman never entered service)...

Even if Boeing is being a whiny machine again...

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2019/07/25/Boeing-drops-out-of-nuclear-missile-development-program/8051564073848/

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

Well at least its official that the US will be building new ICBM's. Its only been 50 years since we developed an operational ICBM (since the Peacekeeper is long gone and the Midgetman never entered service)...

Even if Boeing is being a whiny machine again...

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2019/07/25/Boeing-drops-out-of-nuclear-missile-development-program/8051564073848/

quote:

"Because Northrop owns the biggest maker of solid rocket motors in America, Boeing doesn't think it can price its missiles competitively," defense consultant Loren Thompson told the Washington Post.

Its unfair because they can do it cheaper!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Xenoborg posted:

Its unfair because they can do it cheaper!

Its incredible that Boeing can keep loving up so badly and still remain profitable

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Its incredible that Boeing can keep loving up so badly and still remain profitable

Cost Plus Fixed Fee contracts are a hell of a thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I should have become a defense contractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TK-42-1 posted:

Something something Bombardier/Boeing in a race to the bottom.