Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MadDogMike posted:

He had extra plutonium actually (case of it as I recall, they pulled out one container of a bunch when they were loading the car) but they didn’t get a chance to put the rest into the car before the terrorists came in shooting. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been able to travel into the future to set up the sequel, after all.

"What am I thinking of? I almost forgot to bring extra plutonium. How do I ever expect to get back? One pellet, one trip. I must be out of my mind."

He forgot to put it in the car until seconds before the Libyans showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know he's not supposed to his real age, I just couldn't figure out how old he'd be in 1955 to still look the same in 1985. They make the same joke about the Principal who is another actor who never really ages either because he's bald.

One problem for me is the hair color. If they gave him darker hair than the light blond in 1955, he'd look much younger.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Him bringing up that date without realizing could mean that that point in time inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance, almost as if it were the temporal junction point of the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's the date that someone first traveled back in time to. Of course its a red letter day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Monkey posted:

It's the date that someone first traveled back in time to. Of course its a red letter day.

:hmmyes:

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I chalked it up to his absentmindedness. “This day is important. I wonder why it’s important. Oh yeah, the flux capacitor”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ducttape posted:

I chalked it up to his absentmindedness. “This day is important. I wonder why it’s important. Oh yeah, the flux capacitor”

I generally agree with this, but (and maybe this is due to some weird editing?) it's delivered like it's a completely separate idea. Like he reminded himself of his accomplishment on that day, after saying that it was a major day.

What's weirder is that the day is directly related to what they're doing at the moment. You'd think he'd already have that in mind.

Sort of related, the "drat, drat!" near the end of the film always sounds weird to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The insane bttf novelization is from an earlier draft

https://btothef.tumblr.com/tagged/bttf/chrono

And it is amazing how much better the movie got in editing

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

But the date he puts in is not the date of the clock tower lightning strike. It’s a week before. (Nov 5 vs Nov 12) He doesn’t mention the clock tower at all.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I’ve always agreed that that was a weird moment. He inputs the date and calls it a red-letter date in the history of science, but then acts like he only remembers it’s the date he invented time travel afterwards. What else happened on that date to make it so important?

It was the date Marty knocked on his door and told him time travel worked, but he doesn't remember clearly because it hasn't happened yet on the primary, original master timeline-- but it's getting to the point of inevitability. Doc's memory is coming into focus as he takes the actions to set their progenitor actions in motion, but they are fuzzy and instinctual. The events of the past are fading into his memory in real time just like Marty's brother and sister are fading out of reality in the photo later.

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Jul 26, 2019

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It was the date Marty knocked on his door and told him time travel worked, but he doesn't remember clearly because it hasn't happened yet on the primary, original master timeline-- but it's getting to the point of inevitability. Doc's memory is coming into focus as he takes the actions to set their progenitor actions in motion, but they are fuzzy and instinctual. The events of the past are fading into his memory in real time just like Marty's brother and sister are fading out of reality in the photo later.

I like this better than "playing to the camera his friend was holding".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Austin Powers always had the right idea about time travel movies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched Bad Times at the El Royale, a really interesting thriller about 7 people who meet at a rundown hotel with secrets and ambitions intersecting in a right mess. It does a neat trick with non-linear storytelling, where an event occurs, then you see another characters scene that ends with the revelation that they witnessed said event, and so on as all the formative events of the plot get tied together. Also Chris Hemsworth does a great job playing a psychotic cult leader

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what’s the subtle moment?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are some neat moments of binary lighting that kind of mirror how the hotel looks on the inside (the two halves of the hotel are in different states, so have different decor and rules, like you can buy alcohol on the Nevada side but not the California side) like at one point a character is running out of the hotel and the car outside is completely lit with one side solid red and the other solid blue. Also there is some neat cinematography involving two-way creep mirrors looking into the rooms. ~

Forgot to find something subtle, just wanted to plug a neat movie. :P

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I watched that on a flight, not realizing how long and surprisingly violent it was.

It was pretty great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like it a bunch although I think it goes downhill once Hemsworth shows up. Good performance, but I feel like the pacing gets pretty bad in the third act.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Escobarbarian posted:

So what’s the subtle moment?

Welcome to the subtle moments thread where it's been pulling double duty as things I liked in a movie since page 1

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Escobarbarian posted:

I like it a bunch although I think it goes downhill once Hemsworth shows up. Good performance, but I feel like the pacing gets pretty bad in the third act.

I absolutely agree with you. It went downhill hard for me once he showed up, and I lived the first two thirds.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I disagree because I would watch that movie based on Chris Hemsworths sexy ab dance alone. You know what? I'll watch it again tomorrow and post some subtleties. drat that's a decent movie. drat those are some ridiculous abdominal muscles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gejimayu posted:

I disagree because I would watch that movie based on Chris Hemsworths sexy ab dance alone. You know what? I'll watch it again tomorrow and post some subtleties. drat that's a decent movie. drat those are some ridiculous abdominal muscles.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I generally agree with this, but (and maybe this is due to some weird editing?) it's delivered like it's a completely separate idea. Like he reminded himself of his accomplishment on that day, after saying that it was a major day.

What's weirder is that the day is directly related to what they're doing at the moment. You'd think he'd already have that in mind.

Sort of related, the "drat, drat!" near the end of the film always sounds weird to me.

I'm watching it again, and the first third of the movie is loving nuts. Doc almost gets Marty and himself killed TWICE while running his test. First he purposefully puts them in direct path of the DeLorean because of his own hubris and trusting his off-the-napkin calculations. He even keeps Marty in place when he tries to get away. The car vanishes, Marty should be on fire but whatever; he panics and Doc explains and trails off, forgetting that the car will come back in exactly one minute, at full speed. Thankfully he set an alarm and yanks Marty out of the way when it goes off.

Strickland may be a prick, but he's right about Doc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mng posted:

I'm watching it again, and the first third of the movie is loving nuts. Doc almost gets Marty and himself killed TWICE while running his test. First he purposefully puts them in direct path of the DeLorean because of his own hubris and trusting his off-the-napkin calculations. He even keeps Marty in place when he tries to get away. The car vanishes, Marty should be on fire but whatever; he panics and Doc explains and trails off, forgetting that the car will come back in exactly one minute, at full speed. Thankfully he set an alarm and yanks Marty out of the way when it goes off.

Strickland may be a prick, but he's right about Doc.

THANK YOU.

My post from last page. :hfive:

You're the doc, Doc.

Hey, also, buying into the time travel thing and all, sure... But how the hell do you explain Doc's complete lack of safety that nearly gets him and Marty killed when the DeLorean with Einstein in it comes back? That always bugged me; he's so scientific, so precise, and yet his watch gives him like a 2-second warning about this huge car barreling through at 88mph, exactly where's he's standing.

C'mon, Doc.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

THANK YOU.

My post from last page. :hfive:

Oh sorry dude, I must have skipped that one. But yeah that has always bugged me.

Also how George goes from being bullied by Biff at the café, then 2 seconds later riding his bike directly over to Lorraine's to peep on her. You can see his binoculars in the bike basket lol.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not sure if this counts but I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in 15 years and just noticed that when Yolanda/Honey Bunny delivers her stickup line, it is different between the first and last time we hear it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

Not sure if this counts but I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in 15 years and just noticed that when Yolanda/Honey Bunny delivers her stickup line, it is different between the first and last time we hear it.

Someone didn't go to the movies much in the late 90s early 00s.

Cinemark used to play movie blooper and factoid cards and that one plus one from 5th Element (Bruce Willis gets called Mr Willis instead of Mr. Dallas) because of it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Ah you see thats a subtle nod to the unreliability of witnesses in stressful situations! They all think she says something different.

(it isn't)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inzombiac posted:

If you pay close attention to the other clues you'll see that it's a divergent timeline!! :eng101:

I'm bullshitting but I bet someone somewhere has written up a goddamned thesis around that idea.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Not sure how common knowledge this is, but apparently the diner couple in Pulp Fiction, the protagonists in True Romance, and the protagonists in Natural Born Killers (all written by Tarantino) were originally the same couple.

I assume everyome here knows all the other Tarantino subtleties that Cracked beat us over the head with for years so I'll stop there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Vincent and Jules have an extended discussion about foot massages because Tarantino likes feet.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Incredible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spider-verse is great, watch it all. Subtle moment, when all the spider-people finally meet, Miles, Peter B and Gwen are late to the party, while the others are already there in the Spider-Cave waiting for them, having already met Aunt May. But it makes sense; while Peter B is a new arrival and most reluctant to visit, Noir Spiday, Spider-Ham and Penni are all alternate versions of Peter Parker, and trapped in an unfamiliar would would seek out what they know, which includes some equivalent of Uncle Ben and/or Aunt May. While Gwen arrived earlier, she's probably unaware of who the universe's original Spider-man was until she learned of his death, and while she might have looked for her local equivalent, she'd probably expect her to be Spider-woman and have no reason to suspect Parker in particular.

Which also implies May has after losing her adoptive son had three different analogues to him show up on her doorstep, one as a monochrone weirdo in a trenchcoat, one as an excitable Japanese schoolgirl with a robot suit, and one as a literal cartoon character. But given Dr Octopus is implied to be her ex I'm sure it's not even the eighth weirdest thing she's seen.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But given Dr Octopus is implied to be her ex I'm sure it's not even the eighth weirdest thing she's seen.

Is there anything that implies they’ve had a romantic relationship? She calls her Liv but that’s what she said her friends call her.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is there anything that implies they’ve had a romantic relationship? She calls her Liv but that’s what she said her friends call her.
In the comics, Doc Ock and Aunt May were briefly married, so it doesn't feel entirely out of left field in that context.

EDIT:

Squidster has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jul 28, 2019

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

In the comics, Doc Ock and Aunt May were briefly married, so it doesn't feel entirely out of left field in that context.

EDIT:

Yes, but was it consummated? That's what really counts. NVM, I'll ask check to see what the internet has to say on the subject.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

EDIT:

I'm so confused. Old Parker is there, but so is Dead Parker. How did that work out? Is Miles also swinging around?

Aunt May looks so happy in that first issue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It sounds like the logic is "they were a couple in the normal comics so clearly they used to be a couple in this universe"

A quick Google search says it could also be they worked together in a STEM field since May knows a thing or two about tech.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm not sure if this counts but

The Mummy's screen writer directed GI:Joe

Gi Joe has Frasier, imhoptep and the dude with the fez in it

Clearly a case of Holly wood nepotism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm so confused. Old Parker is there, but so is Dead Parker. How did that work out? Is Miles also swinging around?

Aunt May looks so happy in that first issue.

Look in the background.