Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Dave posted:

We sent some guys out to test Verizon’s 5G in Chicago and both a tree and a window completely killed their service when they were on the right side of the street that actually had 5g. Of course they also lost it if they crossed the street.

This is how 5G will work forever. It will be called 6G when it works, 5G hardware will not work and I have a distinct feeling 5G will be unceremoniously murdered for the frequencies for 6G.

Tab8715 posted:

Do you think Apple will somehow manage a notchless screen with a complete edge to edge screen? Or pretty drat close?

I hope Apple will manage a screen with proper borders again sometime soon. I loving hate it when I try to hold the phone by its edges and my fat fingers touch enough of the edge to cause the touch screen to go all haywire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Dave posted:

We sent some guys out to test Verizon’s 5G in Chicago and both a tree and a window completely killed their service when they were on the right side of the street that actually had 5g. Of course they also lost it if they crossed the street.

lolol..

I have to wonder exactly what market niche they are shooting for with 5G... It couldn't possibly ever be of much use for a mobile device... It would be OK for fixed points though. To get remotely usable service in a city for a mobile device they are literally going to have to put an antenna on every light post, and that will only get it working outside. In a rural setting it would probably never work given that trees have leaves.

28 and 39Ghz (the frequencies that Verizon is using) is blocked by just about everything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The XR is one of the best phones they’ve made in years, just buy that phone instead of “waiting for the good year”

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Do you think Apple will somehow manage a notchless screen with a complete edge to edge screen? Or pretty drat close?

Sure, one day, why not? We already know that 'under the screen' technologies exist, so it's only a matter of time until they improve to a point where sensor and camera elements can be contained underneath a screen and maintain a functionality/standard satisfactory for Apple (and others) to use in their products.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stevewm posted:

lolol..

I have to wonder exactly what market niche they are shooting for with 5G... It couldn't possibly ever be of much use for a mobile device... It would be OK for fixed points though. To get remotely usable service in a city for a mobile device they are literally going to have to put an antenna on every light post, and that will only get it working outside. In a rural setting it would probably never work given that trees have leaves.

28 and 39Ghz (the frequencies that Verizon is using) is blocked by just about everything.

5G is a real good idea if you want to kill all legacy data plans and make new 5G data plans that cost more

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

5G is a real good idea if you want to kill all legacy data plans and make new 5G data plans that cost more

Don't forget endlessly bragging how your coverage is better than everyone else's coverage.

The last ten years of mobile carrier ads are about to be repeated.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Spikey Willow posted:

Sure, one day, why not? We already know that 'under the screen' technologies exist, so it's only a matter of time until they improve to a point where sensor and camera elements can be contained underneath a screen and maintain a functionality/standard satisfactory for Apple (and others) to use in their products.

Can we really say the technology exists? I only know of one company that has the camera itself under the glass and even then you can still kind of see it and it has to do a bunch of algorithmic fixes to every photo taken.

Apple also has a lot more crammed into the notch than just a camera.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Right now the notch is what separates iPhones from all other glass slabs. I don't see Apple getting rid of that unless they can find some other way to trademark their design. There's always the back with the logo, but every iPhone model is unmistakably an iPhone when viewed from the front.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

The Dave posted:

Can we really say the technology exists? I only know of one company that has the camera itself under the glass and even then you can still kind of see it and it has to do a bunch of algorithmic fixes to every photo taken.

Apple also has a lot more crammed into the notch than just a camera.

Thats kind of my point though. Under-screen cameras and fingerprint sensors already exist, albeit with flaws. I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine that in years to come they will be refined to the point we could see an edge to edge screen with that technology in an Apple product.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

FCKGW posted:

The XR is one of the best phones they’ve made in years, just buy that phone instead of “waiting for the good year”

BuT tHe NoTcH 😭😭

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make the notch white so I can tell which way up my phone is, I say as the mob drag my bleeding body to the pits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just want a new small phone. My SE is perfect, give me a new phone in that form factor.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Purr Objectives posted:

BuT tHe NoTcH 😭😭

Unironically this

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Arivia posted:

I just want a new small phone. My SE is perfect, give me a new phone in that form factor.

This is what I want but alas

They have thrown the concept of smallphone into the sea

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Give me the 4SE, Apple. I’m ready to go back to perfection.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Right now the notch is what separates iPhones from all other glass slabs. I don't see Apple getting rid of that unless they can find some other way to trademark their design. There's always the back with the logo, but every iPhone model is unmistakably an iPhone when viewed from the front.

lol a bunch of android phones have copied the notch, including a few that have ample space above it for the camera/speaker

Not a Children posted:

My iphone SE's digitizer is crapping out, and I think it's high time for an upgrade. I don't want to use faceID; is an iPhone 8 still worth upgrading to, or should I just bite the bullet and wait for the XR 2?

If you're handy you can replace your screen/digitizer for like $30 to hold you over until the new phones come out. It requires the proprietary apple screwdriver and a spudge but no glue-melting shenanigans

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Arivia posted:

This has been me for a while. But I'm not sure what it is lately... typing is starting to feel very cramped. I'm not sure why this would change, but I've gotten worse at typing on the SE and I'm finally starting to feel the pull of slightly larger phones.

While I hate how my wife's 6S+ feels in my hand, typing on it felt pretty great. I'm thinking the regular-sized new phones might be the sweet spot. Though I suppose I should spend some time with both an 11(?) and XR2 in my hands to see which "small" phone feels best.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Newer iOS releases have a ton of wasted space (Messages :downs:) and they aren't really accommodating 4" screens very well at all any more.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FCKGW posted:

Alternately, we're a few months out from the next iPhones, if you can just hold onto yours until you can upgrade then.

I'm holding onto my 7+ and will probably get whatever XR equivalent comes out this year.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

Newer iOS releases have a ton of wasted space (Messages :downs:) and they aren't really accommodating 4" screens very well at all any more.

Sounds like an excellent reason to get rid of all that wasted space and make the UI good again!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FCKGW posted:

I have an XR and a 7 Plus and still prefer the latter. The 7 Plus manages to have a wider screen (better for typing on), Touch ID, no terrible notch and a significantly sharper screen while being significantly better feeling in the hand and less bulky in the pocket.

The only thing the XR has going for it is battery life and more storage (but that part was my fault for cheating out and buying the 32GB 7 Plus).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apple just bought Intel’s modem division for 1 billion dollars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

I have an XR and a 7 Plus and still prefer the latter. The 7 Plus manages to have a wider screen (better for typing on), Touch ID, no terrible notch and a significantly sharper screen while being significantly better feeling in the hand and less bulky in the pocket.

The only thing the XR has going for it is battery life and more storage (but that part was my fault for cheating out and buying the 32GB 7 Plus).

the XR is effectively the non-plus phone in terms of price/feature point this generation. Its like saying a 2014 BMW is nicer than a 2019 Hyundai. it is nicer, but it also isnt the same market segment.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think it’s interesting that only in the world of Apple is complaining about notches seen as a bad thing. Everywhere else you look, everyone has mutually agreed notches are bad and everyone actively works towards getting rid of them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I would rather have a lighter, slightly smaller XR without a failnotch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Notch is fine Face ID is good. Buncha babies.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think it’s interesting that only in the world of Apple is complaining about notches seen as a bad thing. Everywhere else you look, everyone has mutually agreed notches are bad and everyone actively works towards getting rid of them.

Dear Leader approves of the notch, so it is obviously cool and good: https://www.dailynk.com/english/the-pyongyang-2425s-real-manufacturer-is-in-china/

I think the correct term for the 2019 iPhone collection so far is underwhelming. Unless a third camera and slightly larger battery are compelling reasons for you to upgrade I don’t see a lot of push to replace a working phone. If I was in the market for a phone I’d start with Apple Refurbished and work down from there. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

The 2020 talk is more than just 5G. The X has been through it’s 3rd generation so it’s likely refresh time, a 5nm processor is rumored, 5G will at least be there for future use and maybe just maybe the notch can go away (let’s be honest here, even Apple marketing goes out of their way to hide it) for those of us that are landscape mode aficionados. If you’re not a yearly upgrader the 2019 lineup so far looks like a recipe for disappointment.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Laserface posted:

the XR is effectively the non-plus phone in terms of price/feature point this generation. Its like saying a 2014 BMW is nicer than a 2019 Hyundai. it is nicer, but it also isnt the same market segment.

Except it’s still more expensive than the 7 Plus (or 8 Plus) was at launch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

dissss posted:

Those are bad phones though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Those are bad phones though.

Not in my opinion. That was the entire point of my first post.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple just bought Intel’s modem division for 1 billion dollars.

My bet is 2020 will be the last iPhone with a Qualcomm modem. Apple *hates* Qualcomm as much as (or more than) they hated Samsung, and the option to tell them to gently caress themselves is going to be appealing enough they won’t care whether there’s a performance hit.

(Which is fine because the “Intel modems suck” stuff has always been overblown.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Notch is fine Face ID is good. Buncha babies.

yeah I gotta say as mad as I was about touchID going away, once I used faceID I was a convert. it is objectively better until you get into dumb 'covertly unlock my phone while its on a flat surface off axis to my face because Im some weird shy person that wants to go 100% unnoticed in society' and even then just use your loving pin code.

faceID failures, in my experience: too far away from the phone (ie, car dash mount), immediately after waking up (squinting and face half in pillow) too off axis from the screen. At most, probably 5-10 a day

touchID failures I experienced: dirty finger, dirty sensor, finger too cold, finger too hot, not quite on sensor enough, doesnt work through gloves (warm gloves or rubber gloves), didnt work if I had been playing Xbox (the textured joystick would imprint onto my thumb print). probably 30-50 failures a day, easy. Usually just entering pin because the muscle memory is actually faster than lifting and placing my thumb again or wiping the sensor.

the only time im using pin on my XS is when I havent used it for so long that the phone needs it to keep using faceID.

the fact theres no bezels and more screen and unlocking the phone is made 1000x better makes the notch a worthy tradeoff if you find it to be an actual negative rather than a technical limitation, and if you do its because you're probably some 'Jobs would never stand for this' rear end in a top hat.

dissss posted:

wow new thing is more expensive than old thing :monocle:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I forgot, do glasses mess up faceid or no? Also I wonder if you had a first gen touchid, that seems like an extremely high number of failures. I get like maaaaybe 3-5 a day on a Pixel 3, and touchid shouldn't be any worse than that (I also work inside on a computer, which helps).

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

sourdough posted:

I forgot, do glasses mess up faceid or no? Also I wonder if you had a first gen touchid, that seems like an extremely high number of failures. I get like maaaaybe 3-5 a day on a Pixel 3, and touchid shouldn't be any worse than that (I also work inside on a computer, which helps).

Normal glasses? No. Some sunglasses block the dot projector though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FaceID works through my hockey helmet cage, which is both cool and scary because it makes me think FaceID is about as secure as taping passwords to a monitor.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
No problems with Face ID on my XR except when wearing sunglasses. My prior iPhone 7 I had about 80% success rate with Touch id. I have about a 10% success rate on my 2017 iPad 9.7" with touch id despite reloading new fingerprints each month or two, it seems exceptionally fussy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Laserface posted:

wow new thing is more expensive than old thing :monocle:

To use your car analogy it’s like a 2019 Hyundai all of a sudden costs more than a 2014 BMW did when it came out.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dissss posted:

To use your car analogy it’s like a 2019 Hyundai all of a sudden costs more than a 2014 BMW did when it came out.

except in this situation, the hyundai would have almost entirely better parts.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love my iPhone X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

sourdough posted:

I had a 6 and a 7, and while the 7 was better/faster, it still failed significantly more than faceID does, and I wear polarised sunglasses/hats any time I am outdoors, basically.

the only place it really struggles consistently is in my car, where its mounted at the very maximum distance from my face that faceID is capable of handling, and the steering wheel is close enough that it could potentially interfere. It seems to cope better in daylight than night time, oddly enough.