Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Maximum Chenergy posted:

"I'd rather do brayflox, qarn, and sastasha again instead of doing literally anything else."

-A real human being, definitely.

people literally do this with labyrinth of the ancients and syrcus tower, so i don't think it's that far outside the realm of reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sure people would want to do it but I personally can't imagine every wanting to re-enter any ARR leveling dungeon ever again for the rest of my life

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Venuz Patrol posted:

people literally do this with labyrinth of the ancients and syrcus tower, so i don't think it's that far outside the realm of reason

Lota and st are like 15 minute completely brainless runs for good exp. No one is trying to get Brayflox for the easy levelling roulette.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Just got KOd for the first time and oof

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Mackers posted:

Just got KOd for the first time and oof

Hope you attuned the nearest crystal

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

Hope you attuned the nearest crystal

Nope! but the nearest TP point wasn't miles away at least. Not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't "gently caress off home"

I pulled like 5 dudes in the bard quest, done now though, lookin forward to singing at people

Mackers fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 26, 2019

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Those dungeons take 10 minutes to run, with every mechanic and boss phase being skipped. Compare that to Dun Scaith, where the place is at least three times as long and has mechanics that will straight up kill you if you don't respect them. Not to mention you have at least something resembling a rotation at level 50, compared to level 16 where you have two buttons and a single 60s cooldown.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lota and st are like 15 minute completely brainless runs for good exp. No one is trying to get Brayflox for the easy levelling roulette.

You say that until you wipe to Bone Dragon like my group did Monday.

I mean, you're right of course. Just. We wiped to Bone Dragon for fucksake.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alloran posted:

where was it being tanked

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well I'm not getting back into the game for a while so I guess I'll just post my mostly-complete GNB glamour, literally only was missing the Nabaath Manatrigger at the time I took this, so more or less complete.

I don't know why they gave me a jet black version of the Gaganaskin Aiming Coat and assumed I would ever switch to anything else, but I can't complain!

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
At whatever endgame FF14 has, I know Bard is something like not great damage but has nice buffs.

Whats the damage difference though? Are there other classes doing like double my damage with the same gear?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mackers posted:

At whatever endgame FF14 has, I know Bard is something like not great damage but has nice buffs.

Whats the damage difference though? Are there other classes doing like double my damage with the same gear?

bard is good right now actually

To address your main point though, I don't think it has ever in the history of the game been more than a 20ish % difference between the highest-damage class and the lowest-damage class, especially once you account for damage contributed by buffing party members (dancer for instance looks like it isn't contributing much but gives one party member of their choice something like a +1000 dps buff)

The period immediately after an expansion drops is always the least balanced point in time, too. We're expecting some amount of rebalancing in a patch coming next tuesday.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mackers posted:

This isn't WoW, literally everyone is viable (well, okay, AST sucks right now but it's an outlier both right now and historically) and DPS ranges are generally pretty tight. People are gonna be assholes about raid meta because reddit, but no one is gonna say no to a Bard in endgame.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Bard has like two buffs now (and an Esuna), most of its old buffs got moved to Dancer and now it just does straight up more damage

Last I checked it's pretty much in the middle of the pack endgame right now, including tanks and healers.

And in comparing nothing but DPS, there will be no class that will just flat out do double the damage with similar gear (unless the other class is a SAM/DRG/BLM that really knows their rotation and you're playing a class that... doesn't at all). The spread is pretty close (but not close enough to not have reddit theorycrafters cry about the meta)

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Cool, all DPS being within 20% of each other is pretty impressive compared to other games tbh.

I subbed so I'll prob apply to the guild soon. Been enjoying this a lot

E: A guild I mean. forgot this thread serves all territories

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro

Mackers posted:

The fight designers account for damage and utility quite accurately, If you like the idea of Bard, go ahead with it, you'll be fine. But as its been pointed out BRD doesn't really do the buff stuff that much anymore. Its still a fun classes with a great style.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alloran posted:

How?! It couldn't have been the skeleton explosions, because they each do 1000 fixed damage and there's only 6 of them. They literally can't kill you unless you're full of undergeared sprouts.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I got 90006'd during the final battle of the final story dungeon. 1000-player queue to get back in and now I have to do the dungeon again to finish the story. Blah.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DPS jobs are generally within about 5-10% of eachother unless they contribute to raid DPS substantially (DNC, NIN). Certain jobs have intentionally lower DPS due to the utility they bring to the table (or, conversely, intentionally higher if they have little/no utility), but there's not really vast gulfs. The biggest outlier right now is BLM, but it's difficult to tell whether that's a consequence of them being overtuned or a consequence of certain things like DNC buffs being disproportionately applied to them.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
astrologian, scholar, and maybe summoner are the only classes I hear people complain about, and that's more because they're more difficult to play without added benefit compared to other classes. square enix is planning one more round of class buffs for the day the savage raids drop (next tuesday), so presumably by that point it'll be possible to play as any combat class you want and still be viable for endgame content

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

astrologian, scholar, and maybe summoner are the only classes I hear people complain about, and that's more because they're more difficult to play without added benefit compared to other classes. square enix is planning one more round of class buffs for the day the savage raids drop (next tuesday), so presumably by that point it'll be possible to play as any combat class you want and still be viable for endgame content

AST could use some potency buffs and potentially a pass on certain actions (Neutral Sect, Sleeve Draw), but anyone complaining about SCH is either a diehard Energy Drain fan or delusional. They're ungodly good at healing now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I used to not play SCH because how it does things just didn't permeate my brainmeats like WHM/AST did and I always got caught up on trying to maintain good dps with it.
Now I am playing SCH because I don't have to worry about dps efficiency as much and having prepped my brainmeats with Divine Benison and Noct AST play a bit.

I'm still learning some things though. Like remembering to spread Adlo and to eat my fairy for emergency aetherflows.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'd like to see them revisit some stuff on WAR and SAM, WAR if I had to pick one. Nascent Flash feels like rear end to use and the fact that it shares a cooldown with what is now your standard anti-tankbuster cooldown sucks a lot.

Samurai I just wish they had done something so that you could build up Shoha better instead of just giving us a move you'll use like once during a jump phase and that's it.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Monathin posted:

I'd like to see them revisit some stuff on WAR and SAM, WAR if I had to pick one. Nascent Flash feels like rear end to use and the fact that it shares a cooldown with what is now your standard anti-tankbuster cooldown sucks a lot.

Samurai I just wish they had done something so that you could build up Shoha better instead of just giving us a move you'll use like once during a jump phase and that's it.

Storm's Eye is a bit annoying to use in dungeons, Nascent Flash should be usable without a partner, it'd be nice to have a benefit to having a more full meter again, Onslaught probably needs to do a bit more damage. Some of these are just personal preference stuff but some I think are changes that need to be made. Warrior got a tiny bit less fun to play in ShB imo.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Hey all, decided to subscribe after the free time. I noticed the referral stuff when I tried. Is it cool if people share a referral code? I figure I'd help out someone if possible.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Krabboss posted:

Storm's Eye is a bit annoying to use in dungeons, Nascent Flash should be usable without a partner, it'd be nice to have a benefit to having a more full meter again, Onslaught probably needs to do a bit more damage. Some of these are just personal preference stuff but some I think are changes that need to be made. Warrior got a tiny bit less fun to play in ShB imo.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all this. Onslaught costing meter and ALSO being the weakest gapcloser is kind of a raw deal. Nascent Flash should ideally be longer, usable without a partner (in a similar fashion to, say, GNB's Heart of Stone can be selfcast but using it on other people gives them your combo shield buff), and not tied to Raw Intution cause as it stands it does literally nothing that makes it better than Raw Int.

I'm not that opposed to having something that encouraged us to have full meter but I miss some things. I wish WAR still had more HP than other tanks passively instead of just while Thrill is up, since WAR's whole schtick is "yeah I'm a big loving meatwall of HP, the gently caress you gonna do about it?"

I don't really mind Storm's Eye as much since now they made it so you can easily upkeep it with your AoE pulls but it is weird that they got rid of a bunch of the "always have this up" buffs and not others.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like WAR's gapcloser not being worth using for damage when it's not free ironically makes it better as an actual gap closer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I feel like WAR's gapcloser not being worth using for damage when it's not free ironically makes it better as an actual gap closer.

The problem is that is costs you damage to use it - 2/5ths of a Fell Cleave which is 118 potency. Onslaught is 100 potency, so it's a small damage loss every time you use it.

They really just need to get rid of the cost to put it in line with other tank charges.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

If storm is at like 10s when a boss dies then you're probably going to have to reapply it by the time you get to a trash pack. It's easy to maintain during a pull but I truly dislike having to apply it on trash. Although it's often better to just skip it and do the AoE combo anyway, but that feels bad too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem is that is costs you damage to use it - 2/5ths of a Fell Cleave which is 118 potency. Onslaught is 100 potency, so it's a small damage loss every time you use it.

Yes, but I'm guessing that like other gapclosers it's actually worth using if you'd lose a GCD if you need to get over there with the added benefit of probably being up since it has a lower cooldown/isn't just being shoved into buff windows as hard as possible.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i haven’t tried shb war yet but i was firmly in the camp of onslaught costing meter being amazing, at least in 4.x

people like to say that it’s lost damage per rage compared to fell cleave but you gain GCDs over the course of a fight and it’s a fantastic little spender to avoid overcapping. it was fairly dps neutral all things considered.

i can’t vouch for it in 5.0 but the cooldown reduction is very appealing to me

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
If I don't plan on buying additional gear, what should I be spending (or saving) my poetics on?

I'm running the daily alliance roulette every day for the XP, but now I'm capped at poetics and not sure what to do with them. I'm 78, so are they worth anything at 80?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GunblazeGriffin posted:

If I don't plan on buying additional gear, what should I be spending (or saving) my poetics on?

I'm running the daily alliance roulette every day for the XP, but now I'm capped at poetics and not sure what to do with them. I'm 78, so are they worth anything at 80?

Poetics are worth nothing at 80. They exist specifically to be the "low level tomestone" that you use for everything that's obsolete. They're great for leveling alts and buying random junk, but they will never be up to date.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Kaubocks posted:

i haven’t tried shb war yet but i was firmly in the camp of onslaught costing meter being amazing, at least in 4.x

people like to say that it’s lost damage per rage compared to fell cleave but you gain GCDs over the course of a fight and it’s a fantastic little spender to avoid overcapping. it was fairly dps neutral all things considered.

i can’t vouch for it in 5.0 but the cooldown reduction is very appealing to me

It was dps neutral in SB I think but Fell Cleave got a potency increase in ShB. It was also more fun in SB because the meter was ideally kept as full as possible so there was an incentive to drop it by 20 instead of 50.

Edit: Although the combo got +100 potency also so idk.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 26, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Old poe gear for cosmetics, or else think about what you might want to level next and grab some Shire or Ironworks stuff for that.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Onslaught doesn't take a gcd to use, which actually puts its damage much closer to Fell Cleave than with just a beast gauge/potency comparison.

Nascent Flash sharing a CD with Raw Intuition is 100% intentional because all the other tanks share CDs (or resource cost) if they want to put their short CD mitigation tools on another target. Flash is unique that it has some serious application as a better defensive tool than Raw in AoE situations, but the main use case is the same as Intervention or putting TBN on another target. It probably should be self targetable in the same way that DRG tether is just for ease of use though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hyper Inferno posted:

Onslaught doesn't take a gcd to use, which actually puts its damage much closer to Fell Cleave than with just a beast gauge/potency comparison.

Nascent Flash sharing a CD with Raw Intuition is 100% intentional because all the other tanks share CDs (or resource cost) if they want to put their short CD mitigation tools on another target. Flash is unique that it has some serious application as a better defensive tool than Raw in AoE situations, but the main use case is the same as Intervention or putting TBN on another target. It probably should be self targetable in the same way that DRG tether is just for ease of use though.

Onslaught costs 20 gauge to Cleave's 50, does a little more than 1/6th of the potency, and has a 10s recast. Maybe I'm not on the level of hyper-optimization you are but the numbers don't really add up to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

They really just need to get rid of the cost to put it in line with other tank charges.

I don't think that math is the right way of thinking about it, though the final conclusion is correct. The true potency gain of fell cleave isn't 590, it's 590 minus the average potency of your combo (which is somewhere in the vicinity of 290). So using fell cleave costs 50 meter and gains you 300 potency--6 potency per meter. Onslaught costs 20 meter and gains you 100 potency--5 potency per meter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Venuz Patrol posted:

SCH is basically braindead now, I've been putting it through the levelling roulette mostly so that I can do the healer role quests. I literally don't know how someone could be bad at SCH anymore, the healing circuits are that easy, and you have barely anything else to do.

Summoner I've taken a few swings at (because hey, it's there and I levelled BLM so it's got gear), and I can see that being difficult for people because it's got some very clear 'retooling scars'; it's very functional when you get into it, but it's very fiddly, and has a distinct feel where you know this thing's been rebuilt from the ground up without care to making it look natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unironic galaxy brain take: they should just remove the damage on all gap closers and other movement skills for all classes.