Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's surely a fundamentals/ jundamentals name in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Any name for the deck that doesn't include the word skelemental is doing a disservice to both the deck and the word skelemental, which is a very good word.

you could even call that disservice a skelemental misstep

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

You can call bullshit when it says 3% of Modern is Goblins. Who will be the brave souls to try that this week?

I really wish I had Vials to try the list Jim Davis was playing though.

Speaking of, it looks like he's walking the walk with that one.

https://twitter.com/JimDavisMTG/status/1154481826842288128

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

He also announced he's stepping down from traveling a lot and focusing on content creation instead, so I figure he wanted to go out with his favorite archetype and/or a meme deck to gather attention (pick your poison)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I bet Jim still goes to time playing that list

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/morticiansunion/status/1154439987057684480?s=19
:cry:

It’s funny that magic is making more money than ever when OP is pretty much dismantled leaving us to wonder if the “pros” really did drive sales as much as they wanted us to believe. I guess it’s also possible that Arena offset whatever losses stem from the current state of OP x10.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2019

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tainen posted:

It’s funny that magic is making more money than ever when OP is pretty much dismantled leaving us to wonder if the “pros” really did drive sales as much as they wanted us to believe. I guess it’s also possible that Arena offset whatever losses stem from the current state of OP x10.

Streamers are a more cost-effective advertising venue then a poorly managed tournament series I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

Maybe I should finally buy into MTGO and beat the rush lol

Oh wait they'll just pull the plug on that in a year or so

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Maybe I should finally buy into MTGO and beat the rush lol

Oh wait they'll just pull the plug on that in a year or so

I don’t think anyone’s rushing into MTGO in this decade

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Streamers are a more cost-effective advertising venue then a poorly managed tournament series I guess.

Streamers are more cost-effective advertising than anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

"Pros" drove sales by getting hired by wizards into R+D and making sure good cards actually got printed

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So I just built Simic Flash (in paper) yesterday and went 2-2 with it at standard despite never playing it before (and missing brineborn cutthroat triggers many, many times). More importantly, it was SUPER fun to play. Anyway, I copied this list from MTGGoldflish:

pre:
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Unsummon (M20) 78
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
4 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
4 Merfolk Trickster (DAR) 56
2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
2 Syncopate (DAR) 67
8 Island (XLN) 265
5 Forest (XLN) 277
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255

2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
3 Entrancing Melody (XLN) 55
My main question is what matchup to the Growth-Chamber Guardians come in for? I understand Negate; Ceratops; and Entrancing Melody (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Carnage Tyrant), but I just don't know what GCG does to advance your gameplan against any decks.

I messed around with the sideboard to make it slightly more like the decklist on Channel Fireball:

pre:
8 Island (335)
5 Forest (347)
4 Breeding Pool
3 Temple of Mystery
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Frilled Mystic
4 Brineborn Cutthroat
3 Spectral Sailor
4 Nightpack Ambusher
4 Merfolk Trickster
4 Essence Scatter
4 Sinister Sabotage
2 Negate
2 Opt
2 Syncopate
3 Unsummon

Sideboard
4 Entrancing Melody
2 Vivien Reid
1 Aether Gust
4 Shifting Ceratops
1 Veil of Summer
1 Thrashing Brontodon
2 Negate
So currently my deck looks like this:
pre:
4 Spectral Sailor
4 Unsummon
4 Brineborn Cutthroat
4 Essence Scatter
4 Merfolk Trickster
2 Negate
4 Sinister Sabotage
4 Nightpack Ambusher
4 Frilled Mystic
2 Syncopate
8 Island
5 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
3 Temple of Mystery

1 Veil of Summer
2 Aether Gust
2 Faerie Dualists
2 Negate
4 Shifting Ceratops
1 Carnage Tyrant
3 Entrancing Melody
I guess my main question is how does this look, with a secondary question of what good is GCG in the sideboard and should I put it back in? The Faerie Dualists are there to board in against aggro since there's a decent amount of it at my store and I didn't want to buy a fourth Entrancing Melody. I figure Carnage Tyrant seems good enough against like control and maaaaaybe the mirror to keep as a one-of, but I don't ever plan on wanting to see it twice I think. Aether Gusts buy time against opposing Shifting Ceratops, and Veil of Summer seems decent against Epser (even though I don't think anyone runs it where I play).

E2: did not forgot a Brontodon in my sideboard

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 25, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lone Goat posted:

"Pros" drove sales by getting hired by wizards into R+D and making sure good cards actually got printed

This is a very good point, both in highlighting that there was a real job for professional magic players all along (however few slots there were) and the potential risk changes to organized play presents in the cultivation and discovery of future developers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I guess my main question is how does this look, with a secondary question of what good is GCG in the sideboard and should I put it back in? The Faerie Dualists are there to board in against aggro since there's a decent amount of it at my store and I didn't want to buy a fourth Entrancing Melody. I figure Carnage Tyrant seems good enough against like control and maaaaaybe the mirror to keep as a one-of, but I don't ever plan on wanting to see it twice I think. Aether Gusts buy time against opposing Shifting Ceratops, and Veil of Summer seems decent against Epser (even though I don't think anyone runs it where I play).

I always thought that the GCG's we very annoying to play against when I was an aggro deck. Provided you have the other creature support and time, cranking out 4/4's for 4 straight turns is usually game winning. Against a deck with limited removal, they are must answer, or they run away with the game.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it turns out that maybe the card that did stone nothing in modern since its inception wasn’t the problem

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it turns out that maybe the card that did stone nothing in modern since its inception wasn’t the problem

:monocle:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I can't stand Jim Davis playing a blue control deck but I will now give him the benefit of the doubt for this. I hope he does well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

qbert posted:

The BfZ full-art basics are now on sale in Arena.

They also added the Unhinged full-arts but I think you need to win those from the upcoming weekly Events one at a time.

They also added sweet old arts like the Mirage basics, but I'm not sure how you acquire those.

The rewards for this sunday's event are the 5 John Avon RTR basics and the Unhinged forest for getting 6 wins.

RTR Mountain 269 is in the files too assigned to the "Arena" Set so i'm not sure how we get it, but I want it.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 26, 2019

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lone Goat posted:

I actually wonder how this affects Magic 5+ years from now. They’ve pulled from the top tier players for a long time to do the balancing numbers crunching parts of R&D. If OP is fading who is the next generation of R&D folks going to be?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Keeping the old competitive play system would have been fine.

The current system does more harm than good.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Looking to get recommendations for card sleeves. I’d love to have a transparent back so I can see the card back art.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

shootforit posted:

Looking to get recommendations for card sleeves. I’d love to have a transparent back so I can see the card back art.

Don't use clear back sleeves because someone will raise a stink about some random bit of wear on the back of a card as being a marked card. Also you'd need to hunt down the appropriate checklist card if you ever wanted to use a double-faced card

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Don't use clear back sleeves because someone will raise a stink about some random bit of wear on the back of a card as being a marked card. Also you'd need to hunt down the appropriate checklist card if you ever wanted to use a double-faced card

Other people had told me the same thing. Didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

Then does anyone know where to get sleeves with the official card back art on them? I have some sleeves that mimic the card back really well, but it’s the yellow ‘magic’ font instead of blue, and they suuuuuck for shuffling.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

shootforit posted:

Other people had told me the same thing. Didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

Then does anyone know where to get sleeves with the official card back art on them? I have some sleeves that mimic the card back really well, but it’s the yellow ‘magic’ font instead of blue, and they suuuuuck for shuffling.

I think Ultra-Pro makes them, but the one time I bought some they were terrible for shuffling, and possibly worse than the sleeves you mentioned. I would just go for Matte Dragon Shields. They're very high quality, and actually shuffle decently.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

shootforit posted:

Ultra Pro makes them.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Magic-Gathering-Protector/dp/B07G3CX5SJ

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shootforit posted:

Use Matte Dragon Shields, Ultimate Guard Katanas, or big anime tiddy sleeves like the pros use.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Use Matte Dragon Shields, Ultimate Guard Katanas, or big anime tiddy sleeves like the pros use.

What about big anime tiddy playmats? I got one of those (that I won at a local tournament, and will be replacing asap).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

shootforit posted:

I mean in a perfect world it wouldn't be, but someone someday will complain about it. The larger the event, the more likely someone will try to get a judge to penalize you for it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

What about big anime tiddy playmats? I got one of those (that I won at a local tournament, and will be replacing asap).

Why and how was this awarded

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Best big anime tiddy sleeves in the tournament got the playmat.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kurieg posted:

The rewards for this sunday's event are the 5 John Avon RTR basics and the Unhinged forest for getting 6 wins.

RTR Mountain 269 is in the files too assigned to the "Arena" Set so i'm not sure how we get it, but I want it.

Yeah it looks like each week's event will award 5 of the basics of a set, plus an Unhinged full-art basic.

I REALLY want the Rebecca Guay basics from Commander 2016. Pretty sure I'm never gonna use any other basics once I get those.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

well you cant just post this without expecting more questions about your sleeves

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LifeLynx posted:

If you have anime tiddy sleeves and playmat, you gotta wear one of those ahegao hoodies along with it.

For maximum effect, pour a cup of canola oil on your hair before you go to the tournament.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It was a GRN sealed tournament - unsanctioned, for charity (they collected all the entry fees and donated them to the ford bank, I believe).

As such, the prize support was pretty random and a collection of old fnm prizes, and random junk.

I was 3rd place, and the only thing worth a drat was the playmat, and the foil city's blessing/Phoenix totem.

It's pretty hilarious. The lady in question has a key blade and is pretty dang walleyed. One eye on the money, and one eye on the door, as they say.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So, speculation based on art from Throne of Eldraine:

Grove of the Burnwillows +4 allied-color land cycle incoming?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Silhouette posted:

Grove of the Burnwillows +4 allied-color land cycle incoming?

Wizards posted that alongside some other landscape art and I think they said they were basic land arts (that one being a Swamp). It does look like potential Grove art though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Silhouette posted:

I thought the set looked super weird too but the article or whatever implied those five were basics.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

when i was still judging, one time a dude brought a very lewd tiddy playmat to an fnm, and a couple of the players complained about it (one of them being a father who was playing in the tourney with their daughter) and I kindly asked the dude to put it away or play with it turned over for the rest of the event. the dude then started huffing and puffing and proceeded to yell about free speech and his first amendment rights.

He was then asked to leave, and to the best of my knowledge never came back to the store.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheTofuShop posted:

when i was still judging, one time a dude brought a very lewd tiddy playmat to an fnm, and a couple of the players complained about it (one of them being a father who was playing in the tourney with their daughter) and I kindly asked the dude to put it away or play with it turned over for the rest of the event. the dude then started huffing and puffing and proceeded to yell about free speech and his first amendment rights.

He was then asked to leave, and to the best of my knowledge never came back to the store.

Win-win scenario there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The year I played vintage champs, my first round while we're waiting for the go ahead to start, the guy sitting diagonal from me had an anime playmat. At some point in the previous day, he was asked to not use it again after people complained. He showed up Sunday with it anyway, then told the judge who asked him about it that he hadn't been told anything about it. The judge who told him not to use it the day before was still there, informed the other judge what happened the previous day, and he was DQed for lying to a judge.

Imagine being DQed from a $60 (80? I don't remember, somewhere in that range.) vintage tournament that you might get to play once a year because you just have to use your creepy playmat.