Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Probably, Americans loving love pretending they're Italian because someone 3 generations ago saw a picture of Italy in a textbook.

Yeah was gonna say he fits the profile of somebody who loving loves to support Italy in the World Cup every four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Enerson in at Mid-Ohio. Let’s see what he can do. I guess the Karamessance has come to an end, thankfully.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
My expectations aren’t high though, what has he been doing since 2016?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

My expectations aren’t high though, what has he been doing since 2016?

Driver coaching rich guys and running sportscars, like every other talented Indy Lights guy or gal who doesn't have enough money.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Driver coaching rich guys and running sportscars, like every other talented Indy Lights guy or gal who doesn't have enough money.

Except for Gabby Chaves and Juan Piedrahita who will come change your oil anywhere in the greater Indy area

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
SPM is also testing Nasr, who is generally pretty solid.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Nasr would be awesome in an Indycar

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Headlines that haven't aged well

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He stinks, OP.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

SPM is also testing Nasr, who is generally pretty solid.

o heck yeah

I think this is his 3rd time in an IndyCar, too

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

o heck yeah

I think this is his 3rd time in an IndyCar, too

I dunno... Guenther really outperformed him in the same Formula E seat this season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

I dunno... Guenther really outperformed him in the same Formula E seat this season.

its hard for me to figure out how much weight to put on formula e results. its still in the A1GP/Super Formula world in my mind where the results aren't transferable

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I legit miss A1GP

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I legit miss A1GP

Remember the Beijing street circuit in the first A1GP season? Two track maladies almost cancelled the race. Remember what they were?

1) The hairpin at the end of the backstraight was too tight for the cars to navigate without hitting the wall or spin-turning. FP1 was cancelled while the organizers figured out what to do, ultimately shortening the circuit a half mile so the drivers could use the pit entry lane as runoff of the exit of the chicane.

2) During FP3, manhole covers and advertising banners started coming loose around the circuit, with the manhole covers obviously being the bigger hazard. They had to be welded shut before the race.

A1GP, you are missed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I remember the first reason but not the second one. Looking through the list of drivers that have driven in A1GP and it's just a who's who of F1 rejects and wannabes of the mid-2000s with Nico Hulkenberg being really the only exception.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

There were a few guys who ran it that went on to do pretty well (Hinch, Wickens, Ollie Jarvis among others)

Also Alex Yoong won a race :v:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Wasn't A1GP like horribly corrupt as well? Like certain teams were given better equipment then others so their engines were more powerful, even though it was a spec series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im one of the very few dipshits that went to watch A1GP at laguna in March. it was free. it snowed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

im one of the very few dipshits that went to watch A1GP at laguna in March. it was free. it snowed.

A better or worse experience than going to a ChampCar race in that same time period?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

gret posted:

A better or worse experience than going to a ChampCar race in that same time period?

champ car didn't race there in that time period lol

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It kinda ruined the point of having national cars when one team would have 3 or 4 countries’ cars in their garages. Then Graham Rahal drove for Lebanon & it’s like come on...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just announced today St. Petersburg City Council unanimously extends Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg agreement through 2024

Next 5 Races
  • March 12-15, 2020
  • March 11-14, 2021
  • March 10-13, 2022
  • March 9-12, 2023
  • March 7-10, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I felt like more races than usual had been yawners this season but wondered if it was just me until I saw Marshall Pruett agree: https://racer.com/2019/07/25/pruett-indycars-home-run-derby/?fbclid=IwAR0XWCiEa2WZoyp7QI3wxo7qkHHmVnuImSeG2JNEkVhnmOi2zlGKSCTT3dE

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Weird. It seems to me that this has been one of the best seasons in years. It doesn't hurt that my favorite drivers have done well for themselves, and my least favorites have done badly, of course. But with the rookie crop this year doing exceptionally well and the teams getting a handle on the new aero kit, I've been enjoying the races better than last year, at least.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I would agree that this season has been a little bit more boring than year's past, but the rookie class this year more than makes up for it.

Case-in-point Santino "Captain :911:" Ferrucci

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Practice #1 is currently live on Gold

Today's schedule:

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Anyone going to the race on sunday? I'm thinking about making the drive from Pittsburgh. Never been to a race before so not sure what to expect.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Aardvark Barber posted:

Anyone going to the race on sunday? I'm thinking about making the drive from Pittsburgh. Never been to a race before so not sure what to expect.

I'm here all weekend covering the race. It's my 4th year here and there's lots to see. Sunday is a packed day, I believe every series has a race that day.

Robby Gordon's Super Trucks are here this weekend and they're worth the price of admission all by themselves. They're doing the entire circuit with 4 jumps spread around the track. They're actually the last race before the IndyCar race.

Check out the sperg schedule in the OP to get a feel of what's going on

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Holy poo poo Super Trucks at this place? That's gotta be nuts.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Basticle posted:

Holy poo poo Super Trucks at this place? That's gotta be nuts.

Yeah it is nuts

https://twitter.com/SSuperTrucks/status/1154753443187298305

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mclaren-indycar-season-no-alonso/4501513/

quote:

Speaking to Formula 1 media in Germany, ahead of this weekend’s Grand Prix at Hockenheim, Brown seemed positive to the idea of a return to U.S. open-wheel racing, despite the team’s infamous failure to qualify for this year’s race.

“[Indy] is still very much a work in progress,” he said. “We learned a lot on what not to do this year at Indy. That was a rude awakening.

“I made a lot of mistakes in how I put that together. The reasons we want to go to Indy remain. That doesn't change. When you have a failure you need to learn from it and grow. The easy thing is to not get back on the horse. But you can't do that in life. I think you've got to dust yourself down and get back on the horse.

“So that is under active review. We would do it differently, needless to say, to how we did it this year. And if we did it, I'd be more inclined to look to do it on a full-time basis than a one-off. I think having tried that, that's a pretty tall order. Or certainly to go at it by yourself, I think is too tall an order.”

Asked if Alonso would be the driver chosen to lead a potential McLaren IndyCar attack, Brown replied first by addressing rumors from earlier this month that Alonso and McLaren had split.

“We wanted him to test our Formula 1 car to validate everything that he was giving us feedback on last year,” said Brown, “so the only statement we made was that we weren't going to have him test our Formula 1 car anymore. And then that got picked up in the wrong way because our relationship is very much intact – commercially, contractually, nothing's changed.

“I'd love to have him involved in an IndyCar program if we were to do it and he wants to do it. He's undecided on what he wants to do next year. This is the first time in 17-18 years he doesn't have a calendar filled with racing so I think he needs to take the summer break to kind of reconcile in his own mind what he wants to do. But if he wants to go IndyCar racing and we were to do it, of course he'd be top of our list…

“He's told me he doesn't want to do a full season. But let's see what happens when he's at home for two weekends consecutively not driving a racing car for the first time in 20 years! Personally, I think he would enjoy IndyCar racing.

“But yeah, he has told me at this point that he doesn't [want to do a full season]. He knows the commitment it would take. You've got to move to America and Fernando's an all-in or all-out guy as you all know. It's more a function of he has been racing that long and does he want to take a little bit of time off and figure out what he wants to do.

Motorsport.com enquired whether it might be easier for McLaren to enter IndyCar without Alonso because there’s such a big spotlight on him.

Brown replied: “We don't want to shy away from the spotlight. Fernando brings a tremendous amount of focus, but I think as McLaren so do we.

“That doesn't really factor into our thinking – 'Let's take a driver that doesn't come with as much pressure'. If we enter IndyCar, it's to win races whether it's with Fernando or another driver. I don't think it changes those dynamics.”

Current rumor suggests a tie-up with Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports – Arrow Electronics is also a McLaren sponsor – but team co-owner Sam Schmidt told Motorsport.com that he didn’t wish to comment at the moment.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Jesus Christ Zac just say you're doing a full season stop with the teasing ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zak Brown maintaining the proudest McLaren tradition: talking a lot without saying anything.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I read that as "we want to do a full season but Fernando's not sold on it yet, let me put this out in the ether and see how people react"

but still, glad they've learned the right lesson -- partner with somebody good and go all-in -- but still, hope it comes off. Would be interesting to see it with SPM as a way to expand that program beyond the current two cars.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

harperdc posted:

with SPM as a way to expand that program beyond the current two cars.

Three cars. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

R2 and R3 are horrifyingly awesome locations

e: they put a tire bale up in the middle of turn 5 so they aren't going at the ramp on the natural racing line which would likely throw them into the fence
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumSuperTrucks/videos/2409842919250676/

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 27, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

How many are actually running at Mid-Ohio?

And how good would it be for SPM and McLaren to combine for four cars - Hinch and Wickens, with Ericsson and Fernando in the McLaren cars.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

And how good would it be for SPM and McLaren to combine for four cars - Hinch and Wickens, with Ericsson and Fernando in the McLaren cars.

it would own but we live in the hell timeline so none of it will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

harperdc posted:

Hinch, Ericsson, and Jack Harvey :c00lbutt: