Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ninjewtsu posted:

i would like thundermountain way more if each map existed independent of one another, isntead of always having to play through 1 to get to 2 and 2 to get to 3

i like 1 and 2 fine but 3 is extremely good and you almost never see it because blu has to win twice in a row to get there

They should do that with most cap 3 maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jippa posted:

If [thundermountain]'s a good map

I have--relatively--good news!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I have--relatively--good news!

It's 1/3 of a good nap (maybe even 1/2, the first stage is ok.)

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

It's 1/3 of a good nap
:hmmyes:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Have yall seen this video about the flamethrower's buggy damage mechanics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaI5LhNalk

The long and short of it is that there's a sort of ramp-up mechanic that frequently bugs out and goes back to or gets stuck at the minimum of the ramp.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got a new pc and realised that I had not backed up my configs so spent a good few hours trying to remember all my weird binds and the medic autoheal script (where it only stops if I press attack) and once I did I decided to jump into a casual game.

Got put on 2fort and somehow, as medic, managed to get a 6 man kill streak and capture the intelligence. Great way to feel like a pro :D I have a feeling I am going to get stuck into this game again and boost my time played by another 2000 hours!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I could swear pyro felt weaker im glad im not insane

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

For all the legitimate complaints about flames being wonky before Jungle Inferno, I think the new flames are worse. DPS scales really artificially, even less "skilled" than before, and easily just drops back to minimum for nonsense reasons. I'd probably be a lot more annoyed by it if it weren't for the fact that the Dragon's Fury is so fun to use.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve put myself on a self imposed no power class play to spice things up (no Demo, Soldier, or Scout). That means I’ve been playing a lot of pyro. I never played more than 10 hours since the release of TF2, so I can’t speak of how he used to play, but it’s definitely awkward to use him. If it wasn’t for air blast and having good shotgun aim I’d be a horrible burden to my team.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I miss the days when the Pyro was a powerful combo class using the Axtinguisher to score his kills. It was definitely a messy niche where a particular set of weapons were far and away better than the rest, but the rest of Pyro's kit has just never really felt like it made any sense.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’ve put myself on a self imposed no power class play to spice things up (no Demo, Soldier, or Scout). That means I’ve been playing a lot of pyro. I never played more than 10 hours since the release of TF2, so I can’t speak of how he used to play, but it’s definitely awkward to use him. If it wasn’t for air blast and having good shotgun aim I’d be a horrible burden to my team.

You have inspired me.

e: Gosh I'm embarrassed about that. I let everyone down.

here's better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Galaxander fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 24, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the flare gun is well designed because it both enables pyro to extend beyond their range without making them a long range class, and gives a chance to finish a retreating enemy + rewards skill with the crit mechanic, all while still retaining the damage over time focus of the class unlike the shotgun. I feel flare gun should be made part of stock pyro if there ever was a "Back to basics" tf2

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Galaxander posted:

For all the legitimate complaints about flames being wonky before Jungle Inferno, I think the new flames are worse. DPS scales really artificially, even less "skilled" than before, and easily just drops back to minimum for nonsense reasons.

You're 100% correct - this video confirms your thoughts.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

ArfJason posted:

the flare gun is well designed because it both enables pyro to extend beyond their range without making them a long range class, and gives a chance to finish a retreating enemy + rewards skill with the crit mechanic, all while still retaining the damage over time focus of the class unlike the shotgun. I feel flare gun should be made part of stock pyro if there ever was a "Back to basics" tf2

Strong agree except Detonator.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Otacon posted:

lmao Otacon. homie.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Otacon posted:

bruh

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Strong agree except Detonator.

i dunno how to feel about such mobility given to the pyro. dont get me wrong, i love it and its super fun but i dontknow how well it meshes with the overall design of the class

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Otacon posted:

wow great video

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I always went backburner / shotgun / hammer. I prefer to flank enemies as the pyro and the crits let you ignore the weird damage ramp.

e: that video actually explains why I play pyro the way I do. I never even realized it

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 24, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
airblast + reserve shooter before nerfing. I almost never used it but god that was fun

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

ArfJason posted:

i dunno how to feel about such mobility given to the pyro. dont get me wrong, i love it and its super fun but i dontknow how well it meshes with the overall design of the class

I guess I can see that. I honestly forget to even try to use it for mobility most of the time. I just think it provides more of a range of skill to reward whereas the flare gun is a lil bit binary.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pyro (with shotgun secondary) was my favorite way to play for a long time. It's the most health you can have running around at 100% speed with TF2's great shotgun, which compliments the flamethrower better than some people think.

Eventually I realized that the shotgun itself was 90% of what made me enjoy the class, so I started playing more combat engineer, and then finally gave in and played mostly scout.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Degreaser, axtinguisher, shotty was too hotty. After that nerf there was no realistic way to kill a heavy other than some specific situations. Buffing the heavy spinup and nerfing the Pyro was kinda bullshit.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

airblast + reserve shooter before nerfing. I almost never used it but god that was fun

airblast into reserve shooter was dumb and probably needed to be nerfed a little bit but completely destroying both aspects of it individually was too much

degreaser into axetinguisher didn't really need nerfing but even if it did rendering both useless was still not good

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

Degreaser, axtinguisher, shotty was too hotty. After that nerf there was no realistic way to kill a heavy other than some specific situations. Buffing the heavy spinup and nerfing the Pyro was kinda bullshit.

The era of megabuffed heavies with no spin up Tomislavs and instant 150 health sandviches was probably the worst period of time for the game that I've experienced. Every time a heavy would come around a corner it was just like pack it up, fun is cancelled.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Pyro (with shotgun secondary) was my favorite way to play for a long time. It's the most health you can have running around at 100% speed with TF2's great shotgun, which compliments the flamethrower better than some people think.

Eventually I realized that the shotgun itself was 90% of what made me enjoy the class, so I started playing more combat engineer, and then finally gave in and played mostly scout.

One of the biggest rampages i ever went on was mini + widowmaker when i was at the peak of my aiming. Pumping people full of lead and never stopping to reload is one of the best videogame feelings ever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Scorch Shot is best flare gun

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
With Pyro, I've been running stock for the last couple of days, save for the Homewrecker, since assisting Engineers always makes me feel good. Plus, the airblast is needed for the Pyroland contracts I'm trying to 100%

Are there any mods for TF2 that I should get? In a couple of videos I've watched, I've seen an alternate HUD that changes things around, but also give you a 3D view of your current character with the cosmetics in the corner instead of the static 2D image.

Speaking of contracts, what's the deal with those? I've done most of the ones for Pyroland (which seems to be the only free one), so I've got everything save for the slap-glove. It seems like you need to buy a pass to do any of the other ones.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Are there any mods for TF2 that I should get? In a couple of videos I've watched, I've seen an alternate HUD that changes things around, but also give you a 3D view of your current character with the cosmetics in the corner instead of the static 2D image.

This is a stock feature, hidden somewhere in an options menu. No idea what HUDs are around these days, but I'm sure others can chime in.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

Yuuuuuup

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

When I'm feeling really lazy I will just play pyro and spam people with the scorch shot because it feels like the ultimate troll weapon. Also the hit sound is great.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I have Pyros Killed on my Scorch Shot and it encourages really bad play but it's so funny when it works.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Abyssal Squid posted:

I have Pyros Killed on my Scorch Shot and it encourages really bad play but it's so funny when it works.

I've got that part on my Flare Gun :hfive:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can you guess what class I play the most based on how much I hate the scorch shot?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sniper or scout probably.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's fun using the scorch shot to gently caress with demos by destroying their stickies.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Scorch Shot always seemed like a more mindless Detonator to me, plus the weird gimmicks of knockback and the secondary pop.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hey guys, i think they finally put a new crate in.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I have it on good authority that one of these new cosmetics is a hot internet meme.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=440&browsesort=accepted&section=mtxitems&actualsort=accepted&p=1

The bobby helmet looks kinda good I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Ricardo hat for the soldier is great, and I like the heavy hairstyle they added.