Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Looks like batteries must be under some unthinkable limit of Watt-hours (100?)

Speak for yourself, I have to ship batteries ups ground a week in advance because they're 500-700 wh.

Mavic 2 batteries went through TSA fine though. separate lipo bag, tape on leads, clear indications these were all under 100wh. Noone looked twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evil_bunnY posted:

It is now 2005

"My Mega 16/15/3 kept melting batteries so I got some new Sanyo 1950FAUP NiMHs to put in my Zagi. As soon as my Futaba T6XAS is off the charger I'm off to fly!"

(I actually miss those FAUP cells, they were ridiculous for the time. You could do 70A through them all day and they'd just take it over and over. It legit took LiPo like a decade to catch up.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 8, 2019

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Slash posted:

Literally everyone i know flies Mode 2. Learning to fly in any other mode you may run into difficulties in the future sharing models/controllers with other people, if that's not a concern then feel free to ignore me :)

Facehammer posted:

I thought I wanted to switch my sticks around at first too, but in the end I decided to just suck it up and learn. After a few hours of practice Mode 2 started feeling totally natural.

Bleh. Maybe thumbing it is causing the "this should be like an FPS" response. Maybe pinching would help.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 8, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How many hours have you spent flying so far?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How many hours have you spent flying so far?

Like 10 minutes. :downs:

Mode 2 already feels better after the second pack, but I don't know if I want it to.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you want to be able to pick up tricks and tips from watching other people fly it would be silly to do anything other than Mode 2 or 1.
It reflects the way real aircrafts are flown.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

scandoslav posted:

Bleh. Maybe thumbing it is causing the "this should be like an FPS" response. Maybe pinching would help.
People better than you and I will ever be use thumbs (BMSThomas DVRs are like mine if I really tried to keep a clean line, then sped up the footage 3x).

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

If you want to be able to pick up tricks and tips from watching other people fly it would be silly to do anything other than Mode 2 or 1.

I hate jumping into the rental plane and hitting V1 only to find the last pilot flew "inverted".

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

This. Mode 2 right stick is basically everything a joystick would do in a real aircraft, left amalgamates throttle and pedals. It's consistent with how aviation as a whole does it.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

People better than you and I will ever be use thumbs (BMSThomas DVRs are like mine if I really tried to keep a clean line, then sped up the footage 3x).

No doubt! I meant in terms of breaking my own associations with how thumbsticks work (from hundreds/thousands of hours of video games where it's left-strafe right-look).

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 9, 2019

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

This. Mode 2 right stick is basically everything a joystick would do in a real aircraft, left amalgamates throttle and pedals. It's consistent with how aviation as a whole does it.

I think it's a matter of overcoming console thumbstick training and accepting that the pedals are on a stick.

Or perhaps I should go full HOTAS? Sling one of these around my neck ala Edgar Winter

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's far less of an issue than you think. Just get some stick time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

scandoslav posted:

Or perhaps I should go full HOTAS? Sling one of these around my neck ala Edgar Winter

You laugh but people have done that and it's hot garbage because all but the very best flight sticks are any good at all. Even a bargain basement $50 radio has gimbals with 1/20 the dead zone of a flight stick.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A twin-stick RC transmitter is one of the best input devices you can get in a portable and affordable package. It is actuated entirely by fine muscle movements, and combines really fine control with the ability to move from one extreme position to the other really quickly. You will need to get used to it like anything else, but there are always new ideas coming out for this kind of stuff and it never sticks. Like this thing, which despite looking cool and well done and getting tons of funding will assuredly suck to use: https://fluidity.tech/

People for some reason think that RC aircraft control should closely emulate full scale control systems, but those are actuated with far bigger movements in the wrist and shoulder and legs because you A) need more force because you are often directly actuating the control surfaces and B) are less likely to knock the controls around during turbulence and G-force induced movements. You are also well-braced, sitting down, and moving sticks or yokes that are securely tied to the aircraft.

Some RC transmitters have IMU’s now and can be set up to control aircraft by tilting the transmitter instead of using the sticks. Everybody who tries it thinks it’s neat but inferior to just using the sticks because again you are not using fine muscles for control, you are using your arms and shoulders.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For sure, with no real forces to counter-act, you can set it up however you like and most likely wont make any difference....but having a common language is usually helpful.

Having the main method of changing the lift vector on one stick also makes it far more feasible to take one hand off or do one handed launches.
These concepts have been around for 100 years or so...but hey, do it the goon way and do it differently...

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Mode 2 is fine; I'm getting used to it. I'll goon things up by whining incessantly, instead.

Meanwhile, the FC/PDB/ESC/etc. stack and motors are inbound. Frame is mostly decided. FPV is not being attempted. Battery looks big up there.

Pi looks hilarious.

G10 will be ordered shortly.

e: That CMOS breakout is the last bleating breath of my "parts bin" effort.

e2: In retrospect, maybe I should build more vertically.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 11, 2019

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

You laugh but people have done that and it's hot garbage because all but the very best flight sticks are any good at all. Even a bargain basement $50 radio has gimbals with 1/20 the dead zone of a flight stick.

This one owns though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkwxMsYrY3g

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One of my friends has been getting into RC stuff by building his own planes out of foam. He sucks rear end at flying and is more interested in the building part, so he's outsourced the piloting to me, which is a pretty sweet gig.

All of my RC stuff has been sitting in a closet for a couple years, so while I've given him a bunch of my electronics and accessories I figure I might as well dust off some of my own gear. How much have things changed since late 2016 in the way of tech? I'm guessing my Shendrones Krieger with a Seriously Dodo board is old hat at this point. Had to remember a bunch of stuff to get everything updated, but on the plus side BetaFlight and BLHeli seem even easier to work with now more than ever.

And how about the laws in Canada these days? I've heard that it's more restrictive now, but that it's still pretty reasonable. I'm a little sad that my long range RVJet build is probably turbo-illegal now, but I can see the logic in 100km FPV rigs becoming more regulated. While digging through my bins to give stuff to my buddy I found out I have a spare Eagletree Vector kit lying around that I don't remember buying, so now I need ideas for stuff to put it in.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BVLOS FPV has always been illegal in Canada. New regulations requires a RPAS basic license for anything above 250grams. License exam is still a bit silly, but not that hard. Class G and some Class F airspace only.
For any flying in controlled airspace, you need an Advanced license and an aircraft that has a manufacturer safety assurance.

There's no longer any difference between commercial and recreational flying. The new rules has some issues, but they're a lot more black and white and as such, easier to deal with.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My neighbor just came over to my house to borrow my shotgun to shoot down a drone. Apparently, the guy up the street bought one to spy on his wife sunbathing nude on the back deck.

Seems like shooting it down with a shotgun is morally ambiguous; should we call the FAA on the "drone operator?" I realize they're very understaffed and this isn't a priority, but the guy who got the drone is the neighborhood rear end in a top hat, so we're of the opinion that "going and talking to the guy" is not going to work.

Or should I just shoot it down and harvest the parts? It's a testament to the legal framework in the US that shooting at the thing with a shotgun in my back yard is a more defensible position than a dish antenna with a 2.4GHz 1kW emitter on it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
noo convince your neighbour the ultimate freedom move is to get your own defensive drone with a net hanging underneath to catch the criminal drone

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My neighbor just came over to my house to borrow my shotgun to shoot down a drone. Apparently, the guy up the street bought one to spy on his wife sunbathing nude on the back deck.

Seems like shooting it down with a shotgun is morally ambiguous; should we call the FAA on the "drone operator?" I realize they're very understaffed and this isn't a priority, but the guy who got the drone is the neighborhood rear end in a top hat, so we're of the opinion that "going and talking to the guy" is not going to work.

Or should I just shoot it down and harvest the parts? It's a testament to the legal framework in the US that shooting at the thing with a shotgun in my back yard is a more defensible position than a dish antenna with a 2.4GHz 1kW emitter on it.

It depends on where you are in the country but unlawful discharge of a firearm to shoot down an aircraft (the FAA views all controlled flying objects as aircraft, even unmanned) is not often a legally defensible action despite the circumstances. rear end in a top hat neighbor will rightly claim you shot the drone down and the police won’t want to hear that he was spying on you.

You won’t likely salvage anything of value from the downed drone (other than some sweet noodz)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i own every Bionicle posted:

It depends on where you are in the country but unlawful discharge of a firearm to shoot down an aircraft (the FAA views all controlled flying objects as aircraft, even unmanned) is not often a legally defensible action despite the circumstances. rear end in a top hat neighbor will rightly claim you shot the drone down and the police won’t want to hear that he was spying on you.

You won’t likely salvage anything of value from the downed drone (other than some sweet noodz)

Sling shot is obviously the solution to this.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Net gun imo

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

noo convince your neighbour the ultimate freedom move is to get your own defensive drone with a net hanging underneath to catch the criminal drone

No wait this is better

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just passed the test with 85%, although I can see why people were complaining about a lot of the test questions being silly. I just want to crash my quad into a tree, needing to be able to read a VFR navigation chart and be able to read the clouds seems outside the scope of what you'd use a basic RCAS certificate for.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just passed the test with 85%, although I can see why people were complaining about a lot of the test questions being silly. I just want to crash my quad into a tree, needing to be able to read a VFR navigation chart and be able to read the clouds seems outside the scope of what you'd use a basic RCAS certificate for.

I had some truly idiotic questions, one of them was about blood alcohol level at high altitudes...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, most of the questions are straight from the PPL syllabus. This is even more obvious with the advanced exam. They'll get it cleaned up over time.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It was really important that I know what an Isogonic line was for my basic drone pilot certificate. I imagine it will be improved but if their goal is safe flying and good site selection for the basic they really need to focus questions on those topics.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mashed_penguin posted:

It was really important that I know what an Isogonic line was for my basic drone pilot certificate. I imagine it will be improved but if their goal is safe flying and good site selection for the basic they really need to focus questions on those topics.

Sounds like it would probably be more relevant if it were based on operation of shoulder fired guided missiles.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Just tell your neighbor to fill in for his wife for a few days :shrug:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My favorite question was about having a visual observer on a boat. All of the study guides and videos I've found say that anything involving boats and vehicles is a no-go, but all I could find in the CAR was that they're not allowed to be driving the boat. After triple-checking I put that in as my answer and it ended up being correct, so I guess mobile ground stations are legal after all.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Is there a $100ish DIY drone with a camera that takes decent stills? I think it would be a fun project to do with my kid to build a drone to spy on the squirrel family living in our tree. I don't want to break the bank and I don't think I could handle FPV. We have other more rural places we could go to try some flying and super amateur wildlife photography as well. Kid is really in to nature and science, so I want to encourage it any way I can.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HungryMedusa posted:

Is there a $100ish DIY drone with a camera that takes decent stills? I think it would be a fun project to do with my kid to build a drone to spy on the squirrel family living in our tree. I don't want to break the bank and I don't think I could handle FPV. We have other more rural places we could go to try some flying and super amateur wildlife photography as well. Kid is really in to nature and science, so I want to encourage it any way I can.

At that price point, no. But also even if you spent more the lenses for action cams are really wide angle which means for a decent photo you have to get really close, and animals do not like drones. They're loud and I think the motors make all sorts of sounds humans can't even hear. Might want to consider a zoom lens and sturdy tripod unfortunately

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

At that price point, no. But also even if you spent more the lenses for action cams are really wide angle which means for a decent photo you have to get really close, and animals do not like drones. They're loud and I think the motors make all sorts of sounds humans can't even hear. Might want to consider a zoom lens and sturdy tripod unfortunately

Fortunately I have good ground camera equipment, so terrorizing squirrels will be left to my dog for now. Is there a beginner drone build I can do with my kid without a camera people recommend?

Otherwise if we want to try to drone photos of wildlife from close or far, I am guessing we have to go Mavic or bust?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You probably could rig up some telephoto or zoom lens on a gimbal, but it would either be poor quality but cheaper, or good quality but as expensive as a dji plus a lot of effort getting all the electronics to work.

A lot of the newer drones have plugs for motors and everything running on one to three boards all connected with plugs. As a project for you and your kid, you could get a kit where you screw on motors and the board to the frame and plug everything in, or you could get a kit where you have to do some soldering. The RTF drones typically come tuned, I have no idea how much tuning is required to get a scratch built kit to fly well.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I have no idea how much tuning is required to get a scratch built kit to fly well.

Assuming the flight controller runs Betaflight... none.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Speaking of Betaflight... I have both a Tinyhawk and a Tinyhawk S from Emax. The S model is having some serious motor sync issues and just not performing nearly as well as the original, but other than a weird video gremlin, the 1S Tinyhawk is still a hoot and a half.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

My favorite question was about having a visual observer on a boat. All of the study guides and videos I've found say that anything involving boats and vehicles is a no-go, but all I could find in the CAR was that they're not allowed to be driving the boat. After triple-checking I put that in as my answer and it ended up being correct, so I guess mobile ground stations are legal after all.

Correct. We did this under FAA last year, and we'll be doin this under transport Canada rules tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:awesomelon: