Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah in One Piece guns are a bit weird, cause unless you are explicitly bullet proof they are shown to be effective, with most people that they hit going down in one. (Though generally not dying right away) The exception to this being Whitebeard, but he still died after taking enough bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s making me wonder what would have happened if Bellemere had actually pulled the trigger before Arlong bit down on the gun.

he'd have blocked the bullet with the back of his throat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah in One Piece guns are a bit weird, cause unless you are explicitly bullet proof they are shown to be effective, with most people that they hit going down in one. (Though generally not dying right away) The exception to this being Whitebeard, but he still died after taking enough bullets.

Nah, neither the bullets nor the cannon balls could kill him. Not even magma or darkness. The swords were barely a flesh wound.

Twas his heart that killed Whitebeard. Two dead sons and a third betraying him? His mighty heart was broken.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lpzie posted:

lol imagine believing guns did anything

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like we generally underestimate them because the main character has almost total immunity to guns.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tolth posted:

I feel like we generally underestimate them because the main character has almost total immunity to guns.

Well if youre good enough you just dodge em. and If youre a logia you just go floop and let it pass through.

but Yosaku snipes with a gun, and so does Van Augur. And the Amazons already displayed you can haki a projectile and the new world has high power revolvers and seastone bullets. and we havent had a non-mook chump gun user have a major fight yet.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 25, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Benn Beckman's weapon is a shotgun and we've seen Lucky Roo casually murder a dude with a pistol.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ayup... *nodding sagely* completely powerless.....

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm such a sucker for a well done This Guys So Strong Whoaaa moment and I'm still waiting for the payoff of Benn Beckman pointing a gun at Kizaru while seated being enough to stop Kizaru in his tracks

How strong is heeeeee

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rannum posted:

guessing the rest of the fishman pirates would lose their poo poo and not even bother with the enslave plan

Sure, and they’re plenty dangerous but Arlong was always the biggest threat there. Probably doesn’t end well for anyone involved though yeah.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sending Bellemere to the dungeons was the saddest moment in One Piece.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lpzie posted:

ayup... *nodding sagely* completely powerless.....

Namis sister was shot by those corrupt marines and just carried on through the rest of the arc completely fine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terror Sweat posted:

Namis sister was shot by those corrupt marines and just carried on through the rest of the arc completely fine

Well no, she was wounded and did not do much for the rest of it.

Hell Law got shot in the Doflamingo fight and had to sit the rest of the fight due to the wound.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well no, she was wounded and did not do much for the rest of it.

Hell Law got shot in the Doflamingo fight and had to sit the rest of the fight due to the wound.

She swam underwater and freed luffy, that's not sitting out

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terror Sweat posted:

No, Sanji freed Luffy. Nojiko and pinwheel pops just kept Luffy alive.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thinking guns are powerless in One Piece because Luffy and Logia devil fruit users have abilities that specifically make them immune to bullets is like someone seeing Superman bounce shots off his chest and then thinking they could do the same

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
how did we go from "wow benn beckman threatened kizaru, an unstoppable powerhouse, with one gun, what a guy!!" to "yeah guns are basically useless"

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

she was hurt the whole time and couldnt do what she wanted to do. pinwheel ended up going to swim got attacked by the fishmen and went back.all nojiko did was hold luffy's head.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bleck posted:

how did we go from "wow benn beckman threatened kizaru, an unstoppable powerhouse, with one gun, what a guy!!" to "yeah guns are basically useless"

Because the new chapter isnt out yet and we're all getting the shakes!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bleck posted:

because kaido is spending billions of berries putting lions on peoples' stomachs instead of just buying guns. Guns seem not good because they dont motivate the plot of one piece the way they motivated the plot of real life history.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Guns are tricky in Shounen since firearms tend to clash with the usual theme "overcoming struggles to get stronger" since a gun doesn't care how many sit ups you did that morning. So you either typically avoid them all together (Naruto), or you just invent a reason why none of your main cast is hurt by bullets but can still get hurt buy the big bad punching them (later Dragonball sagas)

Though I'll say One Piece has done a good job though of not making firearms seem completely useless and worthless.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Heck, just earlier in this arc Orochi killed Yasuie with a gun. That scorpion guy at the prison was infecting people with poisoned bullets just last chapter.

Guns are still dangerous, they're just not the be-all end-all of violence like they are in real life. Like most things in One Piece, it all depends of the specific context.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bleck posted:

Because it's pretty blatant he either has Seastone bullets or can use haki with them. Any other schmuck with a gun would just get laughed at.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Has to be hyper haki, I don’t think even seastone bullets would make kizaru sweat if luffy can use haki through seastone now

Van auger vs Benn beckman is gonna look like a hacker vs hacker match in counter strike

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Wave posted:

because kaido is spending billions of berries putting lions on peoples' stomachs instead of just buying guns. Guns seem not good because they dont motivate the plot of one piece the way they motivated the plot of real life history.

Kaido does seem to be buying guns too, also poison gas and basically gearing up for his own World War.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
The only reason sabo went to dressrosa was to steal a bunch of guns from the WG

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I refuse to believe Kizaru has ever once been serious in One Piece. He just acts scared to mock people. Marco called him out on it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/950/page/1

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hot drat. zoro's bout to gently caress

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
cant wait for kid to hop on the straw hat/hearts pirates alliance

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sometimes I get struck by how without his hat Law looks a lot like an older Luffy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Kidd using his magnetism to make a gigantic Metal Gear prosthetic hand is so cool

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

dont tease me with apoo oda you fucker

where is my beautiful longarm boi

where is he!?!?!?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HerraS posted:

dont tease me with apoo oda you fucker

where is my beautiful longarm boi

where is he!?!?!?

he dead

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
I need evil Apoo working for Kaido in my life pls.

APAPAPA! Give the intel to Kaido-sama or else! *blasts prisoners with sonic waves nearly rupturing their eardrums*

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Lpzie posted:

hot drat. zoro's bout to gently caress

Zoro is the only strawhat who fucks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuasiQuack posted:

Zoro is the only strawhat who fucks

The legendary four-sword technique