Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Huxley posted:

I spent enough years as a newspaper writer, it's deep in my bones not to spend a lot of time revisiting things that are done. Madness lies down that path.

I've finished all of bruhhhh's 20s levels and I want more. Who are the other big 20s makers? Have any of you made one you are proud of? I'm playing all of them I can get my hands on.

If you're asking for general courses that goons are proud of I'll throw this at you.

I'm still a big fan of it and I wish it blew up because I think the flow of it is really good. :buddy:

If you want something to just turn your brain off and run at I made something similar that's ultra straight forward. Just gotta run and jump at obvious points really.

I like to think most of my courses are good though so eh. Bias :shobon:

Phantasium posted:

i swear i wasn't deliberately trying to get a good vid out of this, i'm just that dumb and lucky

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1154523110382530560

I have this happen a lot when I play levels and I'm grinding out a win. Just sheer panic as I mash a attack button "nonononono"
Nice when it works out though :v:v Also thank you for playing the stage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I've updated the OP to include my Jam tweet in the first post, and reversed the first and third posts.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/maniadrone/status/1153425011627220993

DalaranJ posted:

I've updated the OP to include my Jam tweet in the first post, and reversed the first and third posts.

Yay!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dr Pepper posted:

MicroLevel: Switch and Smash
J3K-VWR-PBG

Then after being tired from doing that I decided to go the opposite route. And made a level that you played through pretty much in a single screen. Very short, almost impossible to die, use this as a pallet cleanser. :v:

I want to talk about this level and the extreme importance of testing this level showed me.

I had made this level to basically be as death free as possible. There aren't any enemies and the little platforming challenges you have just drop you below a one-way wall and to a door back at the start.

Yet it has a 50% clear rate.

So I check it, and it turns out people are dying to the spiny-shell. They jump up and run into the shell, despite it being pushed away from them on a conveyor belt. I had assumed people would, even if they did jump up on it, not run into the one object in the entire level that can hurt Mario. But nope. They do. I realize now in hindsight what I should have done is put the shell behind a one way wall so that the player can't run to it and it can still be moved into position when the proper switch is hit.

Of course, if that had been done the only way to die would have been to wait out the 500 second timer.

Somebody would have done that, I bet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've just now started going through goon levels because I just got this at the start of the week, but y'all are very good at making at making things that are very atmospheric despite the limited pieces the game gives you to work with. Even when I make something that plays well I never feel like I'm creative enough to make it look cool.

make something and post your codes pls

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If anybody is bored tonight, here is a 25 second auto-Mario course I plucked off New Courses.

I got it down to 7.433, but I think there's still some time you could shave. Come and take my WR from this random person's no-touch auto course with an 18% clear rate.

BB8-1XY-GMG

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just bought a switch and this game. Haven't even launched it yet, should I do the campaign first or just screw around?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes (so 7 PM PDT) with some Goon-made Mario Maker levels! I'll be streaming for about an hour and half to 2 hours.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

H110Hawk posted:

Just bought a switch and this game. Haven't even launched it yet, should I do the campaign first or just screw around?

The story mode does a pretty good job of teaching you how things interact with each other and the stages are pretty good too, so it's not a bad idea to jump in.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

Now with the actual stage code!

this was fun and, if not for the thwomp killing and lack of a boss, it wouldn't feel out of place in an actual mario

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live! Come join us for some Mario Maker shenanigans!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doing some random stages:

Topsy-Turvy Caves
JTL-C0J-8DF
By: The Lobster

Decent little level, but not a whole lot to it other than having to do the stage forward and then backward.

No Enemies
590-126-6SG
By: Talyn Golic

This is a weird level. There's huge scattering of things, but no real unified concept and the intention seems to be just figure out which of the branching paths actually goes to the goal. It makes the level feel kind of flat.

Up and Down Again
DVK-LXW-KFG
By: Dr Pepper

Nifty autoscrolling with a good mix up for the challenges going down. It had a good rhythm for the platforming so it felt challenging but at the same time not out of control.

Da Dip
93B-QW5-BNG
By: Overbite

The course wasn't found.

Saw 3: The Comfy Chapter
2YK-8QT-WWF
By: Defenestrategy

Interesting stage. That thwomp gimmick at the end was kind of unintuitive.

Sawmill Creek Koopa Infestation
CFF-K9F-56G
By: Colonel Whitey

Cool concept with guiding the unmanned cars through sections.

All about Toimin'
KT3-402-9XG
By: hyphz

I'm not sure this stage worked the way you intended. I skipped the wall jumps before the checkpoint and I didn't use the goombas at all before the flag.

H110Hawk posted:

The campaign is great for seeing some good levels that demonstrate the game mechanics. You're not going to stumble into any duds there or grotesquely unfair levels.

But feel free to check out https://randomactsofmario.com/ for goon stages or just start designing. The Dojo (accessed by the pidgeon icon at the bottom of the menu) has a ton of great lessons to help people understand how to make a good level.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 26, 2019

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I thought it was time for someone to finally make something based off of the classic film:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also since nobody posted it after all, here's the nintengoons discord server, come make marios and turf and chill and plan war strategy: https://discord.gg/TAzVfX

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Re-made one of my favourite gimmicks from SMM1, it's an optional puzzle level! There's the regular route as expected through the level, and the route I had to take to upload it.

30 second coin challenge
X7B-FDB-WXG

Difficulty: Most of the rooms are the easier end of expert... I think. At least one of them is definitely normal.
Special route difficultly: super expert

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've just now started going through goon levels because I just got this at the start of the week, but y'all are very good at making at making things that are very atmospheric despite the limited pieces the game gives you to work with. Even when I make something that plays well I never feel like I'm creative enough to make it look cool.

Making stuff that looks good mainly boils down to using parts in creative ways. Functionally speaking, almost all decoration are usually either functionally identical to more basic stuff or do literally nothing. In some cases you get levels where the parts are used in a unique decorative and mechanical fashion, like in my beehive level (forgive the self-indulgence). The falling donut platforms create the visual style of the stage while also serving as a big gameplay mechanic as most of the terrain is unstable. That's the ideal, but its not always possible. As long as your decorative touches don't interfere with gameplay, go crazy with em.

But I think the best way to start using parts decoratively is actually to try and create a course around a theme and do your best to sell that theme. I assume most people build levels around gameplay first, which is obviously the normal way, but approaching from the theme perspective can work really well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Dear Luigi,

We've detected some kind of signal emanating from the caves beneath Water Land. Please investigate! Mushroom scouts have spotted a lot of Koopas sneaking around on the beaches, so be careful!

- Peach

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Luigi,

We've detected some kind of signal emanating from the caves beneath Water Land. Please investigate! Mushroom scouts have spotted a lot of Koopas sneaking around on the beaches, so be careful!

- Peach

The faster we're falling,
We're stopping and stalling
We're running in circles again
Just as things were looking up
You said it wasn't good enough
But still we're trying one more time

Maybe we're just trying too hard
When really it's closer than it is too far

Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep
Up above in my head, instead of going under
Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep
Up above in my head, instead of going under
Instead of going under

Seems like each time
I'm with you I loose my mind
Because I'm bending over backwards to relate
It's one thing to complain
But when you're driving me insane
Well then I think it's time that we took a break

Maybe we're just trying to hard
When really it's closer than it is too far

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

I thought it was time for someone to finally make something based off of the classic film:

It's like I'm watching the movie! The "portal" at the beginning and the bridge fight at the end were excellently realized. They should've hired you for an official version. (Super Mario Bros. is one of my guilty pleasure movies.)

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're finished! Thanks again for joining me tonight, it was a ton a fun.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/458043880

Levels played:

#160 Bowser's Boss Bash Castle
By: MonsterEnvy WBM-75X-MHF

#1023 Donut Desert
By: Mektarian GGK-P4R-W6G

#103 Walking
By: Straight White Shark 34S-X3J-PLF

#163 Bounce or Stroll
By: Araxxor 99K-V41-PGG

#946 Dire Desert Dash
By: Rollersnake CP1-TKC-X0G

#328 Head in the clouds
By: M A X 7XW-JC8-8QF

#877 Lost in Memories***
By: Wendell H96-KQW-52G

#729 Jumpy Dude
By: SecretSquirrel B5R-GQX-DPF

#159 Drop It Like It's Hot
By: FawF RX3-DDT-MHF

966 The Mansion of Dr. Bones
By: Control Volume GB3-R4Y-9QG

#757 Wet Wet Woods
By: Perry Normal LR6-J3H-5CG

#180 Wet Chomps
By: Sharizard 7S9-0CQ-S6G

#995 Dry Shell Invulnerability Test
By: Girl Drink Drunk 0YV-NL5-PKG

#992 TimePod 2: Gravity of the Stitch
By: Rather Watch Them 8KL-2R2-GCG

#535 Pipe Dream
By: Lord Hydronium DLR-KM4-WSG

#722 The Shellshank Redemption
By: Mahoning 4GF-L8K-FNG

#558 Superball Boss Rush*
By: underisk XS6-R8Y-WSG

#107 Luigi's Airship Escape!
By: Feenix WB1-GTJ-DRF

#809 Mario's Calculus Quiz
By: nrook 9LV-4NS-CLG

#1000 Spooky Sprint
By: Macaluso D9K-NML-FJF

#1026 [10s] Castle Chaos
By: The Lobster 4TT-PVW-26G

#849 Make Way 3!
By: NofrikinfuN T24-RB5-31H

#1021 Overdrawn at the Snowbank
By: DalaranJ GLC-MHQ-0YF

#1027 Don't Move...?
By: Maxxim MCQ-9LT-QDG

#888 Trouble on Highfrost Mountain
By: Petrichor& 5SV-QL4-5BG

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 26, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

Levels played:

Thanks again. It was neat to see someone play my level (even though you kept trying to break it!). Sometimes I add things for decorations, but maybe people think that they're secrets. I'll keep that in mind. You don't have it written there, but my level code was:

I think one of the most useful ways of learning about your own level is to see someone else play it. So, people looking for feedback: give that a try!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks again. It was neat to see someone play my level (even though you kept trying to break it!). Sometimes I add things for decorations, but maybe people think that they're secrets. I'll keep that in mind. You don't have it written there, but my level code was:

I think one of the most useful ways of learning about your own level is to see someone else play it. So, people looking for feedback: give that a try!

Oh whoops! Thanks for the catch on that. The post has been edited to add that stage.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I decided to break away from the SMB3 theme and try something new. Here’s an SMW ghost house built over something... deep.

Abyss House: QV3-S48-1BG

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Thaaaaank you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Been watching some of ceave gaming's Mario Maker videos lately.

I'm noticing that anytime he says something is "surprisingly simple", its never actually simple at all!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I suddenly really want to see Super Frasier Bros.

Actually wondering now if anyone's made regular levels with musical intros to them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

966 The Mansion of Dr. Bones
By: Control Volume GB3-R4Y-9QG

Lol glad you liked this one. I feel you on the time thing tho, the moment nintendo adds an unlimited time option this level is getting reuploaded

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly really want to see Super Frasier Bros.

Actually wondering now if anyone's made regular levels with musical intros to them.

Popular definitely had I want to say a Zelda music interlude in a normal level once.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

OneMoreTime posted:

Levels played:

#992 TimePod 2: Gravity of the Stitch
By: Rather Watch Them 8KL-2R2-GCG

Thanks for playing my level. I'm glad the idea caught on easily enough. To answer your question at the end, I added a hidden key in one of the rooms as a reward for going out of their way. It can skip the pink coins, the boss, or allow access to that bonus door. But of course it was initally put there for symmetry.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 26, 2019

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

don't trust em - 2LJ-0P4-TLF

most of the inspiration here was accidentally finding out that fire flowers could trigger clown cars to go active

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Hey guys! Do you know of a way to force your Uploaded Courses tab to refresh? It been the same for over a day, as the comments, plays, and likes have continued to come in at my same usual pace.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fully close the game from the main screen then relaunch?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Hey guys! Do you know of a way to force your Uploaded Courses tab to refresh? It been the same for over a day, as the comments, plays, and likes have continued to come in at my same usual pace.

I always close the game out entirely from the Switch menu to refresh that stuff.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

Have you been closing the game out entirely or just leaving it in sleep mode?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What a helpful thread we are!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

I always close the game out entirely from the Switch menu to refresh that stuff.

J-Spot posted:

Have you been closing the game out entirely or just leaving it in sleep mode?

...C-Close... the game?

OK, if you say so.

Edit: Oh yeah, that worked. Wow, It changed a lot in a day on my most recent courses!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 26, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Huxley posted:

Fully close the game from the main screen then relaunch?

Wow, Huxley, I was so bombarded with help I didn't even see your response! Thank you!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm working on a NSMB Low-G level with some very long jumps. Normally I use coin trails to indicate where the player should go, but one section is directly after a P-switch hit so that's not possible. I'll probably use tracks for an indicator there, should I use tracks for the whole level for consistency even though I don't think they look as nice as coins?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just use arrows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I'm working on a NSMB Low-G level with some very long jumps. Normally I use coin trails to indicate where the player should go, but one section is directly after a P-switch hit so that's not possible. I'll probably use tracks for an indicator there, should I use tracks for the whole level for consistency even though I don't think they look as nice as coins?

Why don't you use blocks that will turn into coins when the p switch is hit