Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Randaconda posted:

What about Cajun French

That's where the flavor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bike tory posted:

This has actually popped up on my Facebook and that isn't actually the full video. The egg does end up getting smashed

Why?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They couldn't make it any bigger.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

for the record france is chill and awesome as hell and if they act like an rear end hole to you, everyone acts like an rear end hole to you because guess what, you are also an rear end hole

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The number of excellent potential thread titles that have come up and been ignored while the current terrible thread title stands is an embarrassment.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I lived in France for two years and some of the people I met there I count among my very best friends.

On the whole, though, I think I left with less tolerance for French society than when I arrived.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

This has actually popped up on my Facebook and that isn't actually the full video. The egg does end up getting smashed

Thank you. That was going to keep me up all night wondering.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
A bunch of my peace corps friends who learned French in Africa have been asked by French people, "why do you speak French like a black person," so that's the best accent to have.

Paris is maybe the biggest tourist destination in the world, so I can understand if locals are a little fed up with people who don't speak French at the end of the day. What that dude said about needing to say please and thank you is definitely why people come back saying how great Paris was except for all the Parisians. If you want a chill vacation, spend one or two days max in Paris and then go literally anywhere else in France.

Driving and biking both kick rear end in France because they're all way better at driving than Americans and super courteous to cyclists and pedestrians.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This one's still good advice.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
S'il vous plaît is one of less than a dozen French phrases I know. I'm ready to go to France

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mauser posted:

A bunch of my peace corps friends who learned French in Africa have been asked by French people, "why do you speak French like a black person," so that's the best accent to have.

African accents in general just sound badass.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elysiume posted:

S'il vous plaît is one of less than a dozen French phrases I know. I'm ready to go to France

I don't remember much, but I can drat well tell people le poisson est sur la table. Let's go!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

African accents in general just sound badass.

West African French is also super easy for an American ear compared to French French and everybody is your friend using the informal tu instead of vous, outside of government meetings.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My speaking French in France story is actually the opposite of many of those here:

On my backpacking world tour about 15 years ago, I was in the youth hostel in Paris, and I was negotiating the particularly complicated ways of this hostel, (where the bathrooms were, what time was breakfast, what I had to do etc.), in my half remembered year 12 French. Whilst I am dealing with the woman at the desk, from behind me comes a loud, American accented, native speed English yell of "Hey, I'm in room 325, we need new towels can you tell us where to find them?" And the woman at the desk, looks up from helping me, and answers in perfect English.

She had been patiently allowing me to muddle through in my pidgin French, (slowing down and using easier words when/if I didn't understand), when all the while she could have just as easily spoken to me in English. Because I am a pretentious arsehole, I thanked her for letting me practice my language skills.

As to restaurants/shops/people outside, most people were polite/understanding enough, and would also let me muddle through trying to scrape up the few words I knew.

As a penance for that boring useless story have some slightly funny pictures:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Detective No. 27 has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jul 26, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JoelJoel posted:

This, but québécois French.

Is there any way to learn this short of immersion? Passable enough if I ever go to France but mainly to piss off English speaking only Canadians at LAX.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Tony Snark posted:

Is there any way to learn this short of immersion? Passable enough if I ever go to France but mainly to piss off English speaking only Canadians at LAX.

Speak every fourth word in English and you're half way to both Quebecois french and Canadian Punjabi

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

bike tory posted:

Smashmouth, you had one job

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Captain Jesus posted:

A receptionist in a camp in Bretagne refused to speak english to us even though it was later revealed she spoke it. She even snickered something along the lines of "you came to France speaking no french". Before that I thought the stories about smug frenchies like that were a myth!

I went to Paris and at one point ordered a hot chocolate in what I thought was decent, or at least recognizable French. I was handed a croque monsieur. My wife saw the look on my face and told the guy "No, he ordered a hot chocolate! " :france:

She loves telling that story.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

BrigadierSensible posted:

She had been patiently allowing me to muddle through in my pidgin French, (slowing down and using easier words when/if I didn't understand), when all the while she could have just as easily spoken to me in English. Because I am a pretentious arsehole, I thanked her for letting me practice my language skills.

I've noticed this a lot in Spain. Waiters in particular will politely listen to people attempt to place their orders in Spanish, and ask all the right prompting questions in Spanish, then at the end, repeat the person's order back to them in English, just to be sure there were no miscommunications.

As for the French: my mother is French, but speaks perfect English.
When we're in France and people ask for directions to a place they've hideously mispronounced, she corrects their pronunciation, and if they don't attempt to pronounce it correctly, she won't give them directions ("No, sorry, never heard of the No-der Dayme cathedral"). But put in the tiniest amount of effort, and she's happy to be super helpful.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

This, but québécois French.

Watch the show A Very Secret Service (Aux le Service du France). They have some Quebecois separatists come over and the French can't understand them at all. They Quebecois get so pissed at their condescension that they storm out and go to Algeria to train as terrorists.

It's really a pretty funny show. The accents of Americans and Quebecois are so pronounced even I could tell them from the French.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

I heard she wrote some decent poems before sticking her head in an oven.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Lady Disdain posted:

As for the French: my mother is French, but speaks perfect English.
When we're in France and people ask for directions to a place they've hideously mispronounced, she corrects their pronunciation, and if they don't attempt to pronounce it correctly, she won't give them directions ("No, sorry, never heard of the No-der Dayme cathedral"). But put in the tiniest amount of effort, and she's happy to be super helpful.

Man, can you imagine if somebody had posted in here "My mother's a true American, and when a foreigner tries to talk to her with less-than-perfect pronunciation, she politely corrects them until they're speaking correctly, at which point she will help them. Of course, if they don't say it right, she tells them to gently caress off." :911:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I saw My Cousin Vinnie in French in Montreal on opening night on a school trip. The audience was loving HOWLING at the French/NY accent, which I guess is a thing? Blew our Anglophone minds.

e. I still remember the two minutes of interrupted laughter after the "two yutes" line, but in French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vp1t6yBpSM&t=3695s

Dillbag has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jul 26, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Lee posted:

Man, can you imagine if somebody had posted in here "My mother's a true American, and when a foreigner tries to talk to her with less-than-perfect pronunciation, she politely corrects them until they're speaking correctly, at which point she will help them. Of course, if they don't say it right, she tells them to gently caress off." :911:

Things are only rude when Americans do it, keep up

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Sorry about your lovely mom dude.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FreeMars posted:

On French chat, I proposed to my now wife in Paris and I speak a little French so we got by ok. The only time we got the stereotypical french snootiness was 2hen my wife ordered a hamburger. The waiter was insulted and yelling at here about us coming all the way to France for a burger.

...was there a hamburger on the menu? Because that piece of information might help determine who the jerk was here.

Measly Twerp posted:

How do you say "verry well, I'll butcher your mother tongue then" in French?

Also, yes, gently caress Bulgarians. I stayed in Bulgaria for three months and they will absolutely just refuse to engage with English speaking foriginers.

I was there with someone who spoke their language, and in one incident we asked someone how to get to X street but they just crossed their arms and stared at us like we'd farted at a wake.

How old were the people you were talking to? My experience in Bulgaria was that everyone was friendly enough, but if you didn't know Bulgarian you had to speak to people who went to school before about 1990 in Russian, and people who went to school after about 1990 in English.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mods, change my name to Beerepoot

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Change mine to Beerepoot McKinley.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
actually make mine Fanny Beerepoot, that's a better name

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elysiume posted:

The only thing you need to know how to say is "Je sais manger le verre; cela ne me fait pas mal.".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

The only thing you need to know how to say is "Je sais manger le verre; cela ne me fait pas mal.".
:pusheen: That was one of the links I included on babby's first homepage back in '95.

eta: "Je peut manger," I think

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jul 26, 2019

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...was there a hamburger on the menu? Because that piece of information might help determine who the jerk was here.

Yes, there was a burger on the menu. When my wife asked what he suggested, he said the ravioli. We were both pretty sure that was Italian, but were not prepared to die on that particular hill.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If it was made there then it's French

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Samuringa posted:

Unless it's from the Raviol region of Italy, it's simply a type of pasta comprising a filling enveloped in thin pasta dough.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Samuringa posted:

It wouldn't that also apply to the hamburger on the menu? :confused:

All I remember about French class is watching the episode of The Simpsons when Bart goes to France.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSGPubsxcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ante posted:

Unless it's from the Raviol region of Italy, it's simply a type of pasta comprising a filling enveloped in thin pasta dough.

"Sparkling Hot Pocket"