Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I know it's been pointed out, but I love how off the rails the simulation has gotten. None of this is relavent to Lyndon's eventual death.
For the predicted death to even be slightly accurate, people must now actively prevent the simulation from ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So, assuming Lyndon manages to die in the simulation and make it back to his body with choice bits of foreknowledge, he should convincingly claim that he didn't see a vision of the future.

That way, he still gets captured, but his foes think they're still in the simulation. Armed with the right foreknowledge, Lyndon can subsequently escape.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Lyndon's method of magic is to memorize spells, and nothing he does in the simulation causes actual harm.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 19, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

maltesh posted:

So, assuming Lyndon manages to die in the simulation and make it back to his body with choice bits of foreknowledge, he should convincingly claim that he didn't see a vision of the future.

That way, he still gets captured, but his foes think they're still in the simulation. Armed with the right foreknowledge, Lyndon can subsequently escape.

The ambassador touched it to check, he'll probably do it again.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

maltesh posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, Lyndon's method of magic is to memorize spells, and nothing he does in the simulation causes actual harm.

True, but it wouldn't be an accurate simulation if it did not simulate him losing his magic once he caused simulated harm.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lyndon and Audrey really getting back into the swing of their relationship :3:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

how could the ambassador tell that he wasnt currently in his own simulation?

Drunk Theory posted:

True, but it wouldn't be an accurate simulation if it did not simulate him losing his magic once he caused simulated harm.

and he wouldnt remember the entire simulation after he dies, only the last few moments

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

how could the ambassador tell that he wasnt currently in his own simulation?

He couldnt but he'd relay information back to his real self.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If someone touched the scepter without receiving a vision before you touch it and also don't receive a vision, you're in that person's simulation.

Idea: If two parties know how the scepter works, one can trick the other by pretending not to receive a vision. Though the other party might get their hands on it to confirm, it'll throw off the accuracy of their simulation.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dr Christmas posted:

If someone touched the scepter without receiving a vision before you touch it and also don't receive a vision, you're in that person's simulation.

Idea: If two parties know how the scepter works, one can trick the other by pretending not to receive a vision. Though the other party might get their hands on it to confirm, it'll throw off the accuracy of their simulation.

If person A touches the scepter at time 1 and has no vision, it could mean that they’re in someone else’s vision, or it could mean that they just started their own vision

If person B sees person A touch the scepter and claim that they have no vision, then they touch the scepter at time 2 and have no vision, it could mean that they’re in person A’s vision... or it could mean that person C touched the scepter at time 0, unknown to both A and B, and they’re both in that vision.

As long as you have the thing you have to guard it to prevent this kind of confusion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man now I'm wondering what that ghost baboon went through when Audrey used the Sceptre as a mallet.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Permanently mind-altering psychological trauma for one

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

Man now I'm wondering what that ghost baboon went through when Audrey used the Sceptre as a mallet.

It becomes even more horrifying when you consider that this is a powerful supernatural creature: Whatever managed to kill it must have been something REALLY nasty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(simulation lasts until the baboon is torn apart in the event horizon of a black hole)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Synthbuttrange posted:

(simulation lasts until the baboon is torn apart in the event horizon of a black hole)

Given the limited size of the simulated universe, it'd have to be created. Then again, this is a Thorsby comic, so sooner or later someone's going to accidentally create one.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
And now we get to play the game of trying to think of ways to avoid traps for pacifism magic.
I wonder if the whole building is just nothing but rooms of hanging snakes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rip all those snakes

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Man I hope nobody in that building is irrationally afraid of snakes.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If person B sees person A touch the scepter and claim that they have no vision, then they touch the scepter at time 2 and have no vision, it could mean that they’re in person A’s vision... or it could mean that person C touched the scepter at time 0, unknown to both A and B, and they’re both in that vision.

Person B starting their own simulation is still a possibility here. There’s no rule that you have to blurt out your vision to everyone in the room and signal a completed simulation.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Those last two panels are comedic gold.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Synthbuttrange posted:

rip all those snakes

Yeah somewhere there's a bulk discount snake merchant who wouldn't be happy about this.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dinosaurs! posted:

Person B starting their own simulation is still a possibility here. There’s no rule that you have to blurt out your vision to everyone in the room and signal a completed simulation.

You do still feel the pain of your vision's death, though. So you'd need some nerves of steel to not react at all.

Also, that staircase in the first panel is hurting my head. Is it going up another floor, or just into the ceiling? Where's the landing? Or do you just step sideways off of it to get to this floor?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

HebrewMagic posted:

Those last two panels are comedic gold.

Audrey peeking out at the gored snake is amazing

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I wonder if pacifism magic works like plausible deniability magic did, where you get a chance to keep your spells by arguing that you didn't really do any harm.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8OawQegYE

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I wonder if pacifism magic works like plausible deniability magic did, where you get a chance to keep your spells by arguing that you didn't really do any harm.

Plausible deniability magic relies on convincing other people and pacifism magic relies on convincing yourself, Lyndon's a natural at it because he's an unreflective moron.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like to think there was a Snakes on a Plane scene where the various baddies were gathered together discussing how best to entrap Lyndon and the ambassador was waving his arms around and angrily insisting that it just HAD to be snakes, there was NO other way.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Plausible deniability magic relies on convincing other people and pacifism magic relies on convincing yourself, Lyndon's a natural at it because he's an unreflective moron.

This actually made me realize something interesting: in every case we've seen (unless I'm missing something), Lyndon (and in one case, the Mind Mugger) personally witnessed his spells causing harm. The only exception is the gravity-altering spell; he didn't see the spell cause the creature's death, but he knew (and stated) that it would cause the creature to die quite soon.

So it's possible that pacifist mages only lose their spells if they realize, or believe, that their spells have caused direct harm.

...but it would be kind of weird if no one had figured that out yet.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How about diplomatic immunity magic?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Comic Four Hundred

Personally, I'm stumped.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Snout Elf is probably a rival pacifism mage. No idea about the ineloquent one.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Wonderful. I wonder if they thread can work out how Lyndon can unintentionally harm these two.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Making sure things are as weird as possible around Lyndon when/if he dies, and the one spouting nonsense will help with that, seems to be the plan.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

uvar posted:

Comic Four Hundred

Personally, I'm stumped.

They're both deathly allergic to bananas. Unlikely to pay off as a countermeasure to Lyndon, but neutralizing him is worth the extra effort.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

uvar posted:

Comic Four Hundred

Personally, I'm stumped.

These two were hired to bring an Impossible One to the castle and take care of it (edit: hence, "catch and feed!").

It's in the next room, kept in pitch darkness. Lyndon goes in, casts his light spell, and sees the Impossible One, killing it.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

These two were hired to bring an Impossible One to the castle and take care of it (edit: hence, "catch and feed!").

It's in the next room, kept in pitch darkness. Lyndon goes in, casts his light spell, and sees the Impossible One, killing it.
Okay, yes that's clever.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Also the primary Impossible One prominently featured a pipe.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Looks like you called it!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Everything's been laid out - more information than we ourselves needed. This leaves the big question:

Is Lyndon Painatorium going to gently caress up?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
yes but Audrey will pull his rear end out of the fire like always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Preemptive “Lyndon you doofus”