Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Ya'all ever click on the goons with spoons forum and think the industry thread has clearly taken over when you're all tired and burnt out from work before realizing your mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Ya'all ever click on the goons with spoons forum and think the industry thread has clearly taken over when you're all tired and burnt out from work before realizing your mistake?

Probably the best forum rename ever.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I click on the sub forum and wonder why nobody is talking about subs

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

I feel like I should make a thread on champagne, just so I can have a Dom post in the Sub forum.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
1058 Hoagie closed down years ago; the salad days of SF subs have long been over. What discussion is even possible? ;_;

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coasterphreak posted:

Buy me dinner and we'll talk. ;-*

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Coasterphreak posted:

I understand this Grinder app is good for getting subs. Hoagies and heroes as well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ben Nevis posted:

I understand this Grinder app is good for getting subs. Hoagies and heroes as well.

Pff, anyone using that app is a sub human.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Quiet Feet posted:

Pff, anyone using that app is a sub human.

:nice:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Coasterphreak posted:

I wonder this all the time. There should be a sub/sandwich thread to rival the burger one.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I would like to go on record that I loving hate catering. Specifically Friday and Saturday catering. And on the hottest day of the year.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Why are you getting married outside in July, gently caress you.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 22, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

I started at a catering company this year. Now all I do is catering. We have 87 confirmed weddings this year.

Yesterday the venue was beautiful, they had chosen good food and when I got there Postmodern Jukebox was playing, so everything was gonna be ok.

The venue was entirely outside and it was a 95 minute drive away from our kitchen.

I've made poor choices.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

"I've made poor choices" is pretty much the mantra of this thread/ industry.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kittenmittons posted:

getting married

I found the problem.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Major drama meltdowns all weekend from the staff of one of the bars meaning I had to act like a preschool teacher all weekend, then couldn’t sleep at all Saturday night and had to be up by 630 to travel to judge a spirits comp in another city where I had to taste 82 spirits (many of which were not good) and then was only able to sleep maybe four hours last night.

I am so fried :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

kittenmittons posted:

I was at an outdoor wedding last month. In Charleston. Had a great time, but it was a little warm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This reminded me of the time my boss yelled at me for not being able to work because of food poisoning (that I'm pretty sure I got from my own restaurant). No I can't serve food to people, I'm making GBS threads and vomiting constantly.

https://twitter.com/SimplySnaccbar/status/1153657882304368640?s=20

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Small business owners are honestly so important

quote:

This city of nearly 12,000 has become ground zero for a national debate over how to balance boosting wages for the lowest-paid workers and ensuring small businesses can afford to keep employing them.

Proponents say a minimum-wage increase was desperately needed in the hometown of Pixar Animation Studios, where the median rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $2,840, the median home price is more than $560,000, and a salad costs more than $15.

“The Bay Area is more expensive than any other part of the country,” said María Moreno, community organizer with the Restaurant Opportunities Center of the Bay, an advocacy group.

But local businesses say several increases in Emeryville’s minimum wage over the past few years have left them nervous about their financial viability.

“There is a tipping point,” said Erik Hansen, the owner of Moomie’s, who is deciding whether to raise sandwich prices by as much as $1.50 or lay off one of his three employees. “We may have the highest minimum wage, but I don’t think the people in Emeryville will feel like paying the highest prices in the country.”

Sheena Luu, a barista at Polaris Cafe, said Emeryville’s minimum wage makes it possible for her to afford $1,500 in rent for her studio apartment. She also works at coffee shops in two nearby cities, earning about $13 an hour. “If I didn’t have it, I would have to cut back,” she said of the higher pay in Emeryville.

Maria Anguiana said her city-mandated raise this month is allowing her to contribute to her family’s living expenses, with something left for her own future. “This will help me save more for college,” the 17-year-old said while waiting tables in Rudy’s Can’t Fail Cafe.

The flip side can be seen on the menus at Rudy’s. Co-owner Doug Smith said he has raised the price of the cafe’s signature Deuces Wild special—two pancakes or two pieces of french toast, two eggs and two bacon slices or sausages—to $14.50 from $11 in 2015, and the Crunchy Asian Salad to $15.50 from $10. But that still isn’t enough to cover increased labor costs, he added.

Because restaurants have thin profit margins and rely on low-paid workers, they are particularly vulnerable to minimum-wage raises, experts say.

“We’re all up against a brick wall,” said Marilyn Boucher, owner of the Broken Rack, who this month cut hours for her workers. She said she had planned to add hours before the July 1 minimum-wage boost.

Ms. Boucher said that at the Broken Rack, payroll costs have risen to 40% of her revenue, from about one-third in 2014. Last year, the business broke even, she said, after previously having profit margins of about 5%.

I have a wall you can be up against, Ms. Boucher.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Bu-bu-but job creators!!! :saddowns:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

Increasing prices by 50% because wages went up by less than 20%

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skwirl posted:

Increasing prices by 50% because wages went up by less than 20%

Also totally ignoring the fact that if the workers of the city at large have more money, they're more likely to eat out which potentially increases customers. Also there's probably other ways to save money, like figuring out which manager is stealing something like $2K/week from the company by ordering a giant pile of extra ground meat that he sells out of the back to food trucks. That happened at my old job and the ownership didn't even give a bonus to the workers who caught him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
an industry led by capitalists trying to get rich on the backs of ppl trying their best every day to get by

ppl in other countries telling us to unionize: that story is only of interest to those already in the industry. no one else gives a poo poo and that "both sides" horseshit is considered perfectly acceptable bc

pentyne posted:

Bu-bu-but job creators!!! :saddowns:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's a lot easier to blame wages for your mismanagement than figure out where you're actually blowing your margins and adjust your menu accordingly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Also totally ignoring the fact that if the workers of the city at large have more money, they're more likely to eat out which potentially increases customers. Also there's probably other ways to save money, like figuring out which manager is stealing something like $2K/week from the company by ordering a giant pile of extra ground meat that he sells out of the back to food trucks. That happened at my old job and the ownership didn't even give a bonus to the workers who caught him.

This happened with a Sous Chef at a place I used to work at.
This guy also showed up to a party with a live chicken and killed it in the driveway and wondered why everyone got weird about it.
Then he got convicted of cruelty to animals for something with a dog.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I overheard one of the servers at my work saying she was gonna "borrow" $75 from the till to pay back some guy at the bar. I think she's the owner's daughter or something though, so :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I overheard one of the servers at my work saying she was gonna "borrow" $75 from the till to pay back some guy at the bar. I think she's the owner's daughter or something though, so :shrug:

If they pay out credit card tips each shift it's entirely possible she's owed more than that already.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

man,

im so glad i escaped.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Applied for a new job in the field I graduated in after getting laid off in January. Please pray for me so that I can stop serving tables for 40 hours a week. (I’ll still probably serve 16 hours a week lmao)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good luck!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thought I'd run out of stories bout my time in a health food kitchen. Turns out I had just run out of stories involving Fuckwit McGee (a constant, low level desire to knock out some of his teeth doesn't count as a story).

The Tale of Hot Bison

My kitchen was a health food kitchen. The people who ran it liked low carb, paleo, gluten free (except for one item that's whole wheat), etc. etc. etc. I put the OMNI into omnivore so I didn't care. poo poo was actually pretty good for the most part since the chefs we had designing the food actually focused on making stuff taste good. One of the big ingredients for a while was Bison meat. We were relatively early to the Bison craze so we had bunch of meaty recipies with bison. And then I notice we have less and less. Turns out bison prices were going up so we couldn't afford to keep all the items on the menu. This goes on until the only Bison recipe is the best selling Quinoa Bison Hash. As someone who ate this stuff because I was hungry not because of any health reason I found it bland and overpriced, but hey the customers who want lean "paleo" stuff loved it. Not that I'd ever say no to it when we cooked too much and had extra.

So you see the bind the shop owners are in, right?

Well we found a ranch near-ish that was willing to sell directly to us instead of going through Sysco. Since there's no middleman we can get a better deal from them, but we can only get so much from them. Still, getting SOME bison for cheaper is better than getting NONE. Guy's ranch is 1.5-2 hours away, but he drives it up himself once a week and gets a bunch of food from us because he likes our cooking (yay!). He just brings the boxes of frozen bison in the back of his SUV but we're all "Eh, he's got the AC on and they're basically giant blocks of ice at this point" and we shove this stuff right back into a freezer when he gets here so we don't mind.

This works out for a while and then one day he can't come himself so he sends one of his workers. Worker thinks "Well boss shoves these boxes in the back of his car to deliver these. I can do it too!" Slight problem here: the worker's vehicle is a truck. That he tosses the boxes into. And drives from San Antonio to Austin. If you know your American Geography you know that's in loving Texas and it's July. He doesn't even cover them from the sun or anything so by the time he gets here the top layer of boxes are hot to the touch, and I don't know what the contents inside the box are like. The best I can do is shove what I can in the freezer as fast as possible and put the stuff on the lower levels in the walk-in fridge when the freezer is filled up.

Since the BOH manager went home for the day I tell the FOH one and she is, understandably, pissed. Long story short is she started an e-mail storm in a company small enough it still matters. We had a contract with the ranch so we can't immediately stop getting meat from him but it's understandably not getting renewed and the amount he delivers is reduced. I'm pretty sure that worker got the riot act read to him because while he doesn't get fired the next time I see him he's delivering the meat in a giant refrigerated trailer pulled from his truck which, while appreciated, is pretty comically oversized for the six 50 pound boxes of meat he drops off.

In the end we just get the more expensive stuff from Sysco because they at least understand "refrigerate the damned meat when transporting it."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Reminds me I could do a write-up of a local restaurant that accidentally ordered 10 times as much wagyu as they needed right as they first opened if anyone's interested

My significant other at the time was a kitchen manager there, they've since shuttered

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

FFT posted:

Reminds me I could do a write-up of a local restaurant that accidentally ordered 10 times as much wagyu as they needed right as they first opened if anyone's interested

My significant other at the time was a kitchen manager there, they've since shuttered

Do what the people in the retail thread told me when I first mentioned I had stories about a former boss I only referred to as "Fuckwit McGee"
:justpost:

I'm guessing y'all liked them even if everyone basically said nothing you certainly said nothing negative about them.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Do what the people in the retail thread told me when I first mentioned I had stories about a former boss I only referred to as "Fuckwit McGee"

I'm guessing y'all liked them even if everyone basically said nothing you certainly said nothing negative about them.

They were good stories.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

They were good stories.

I've sent people into sputtering rages IRL with them. Almost literally "UNDERCOOKED CHICKEN!? ME SMASH!" a few times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I've sent people into sputtering rages IRL with them. Almost literally "UNDERCOOKED CHICKEN!? ME SMASH!" a few times.

You don't like your chicken "al dente?"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Asian place, had loving great sushi and hors d'oeuvres for the friends and family soft open; the only time I ate there.

Wagyu was intended as a menu staple (labeled as kobe because of course). They needed, I'm guessing, about $1,000 of wagyu to get started. This is whole rounds (or something, I'm a bartender not a cook), requiring handiwork to break down prior to serving. Someone hosed up the order.

So $10,000 of wagyu shows up. The supplier does not do returns on wagyu, because why'd you.

All hands are required on deck, because these are rounds or sides or what have you that have to be portioned out. They weren't even open yet, so this was intended as a training day in general. Instead, everyone got trained on how to break down whole beef bits into steaks and such.

The restaurant lasted 4-6 months, and instead of having kobe tartare as a featured menu item it became "we've got wagyu burgers!"

Shame, really, they had some very skilled chefs involved, but lol that someone tapped "0" too many times and destroyed their restaurant.

Everyone I knew there went on to better-run restaurants, at least.

/e for clarity it might have been ten cases that they actually wanted but they got a hundred

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 26, 2019

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Alkydere posted:

I loved/hated each of your stories. I just have nothing to add; I mostly read this thread when I'm on the shitter after opening (and the rush immediately after we open our doors because someone can't just go to the burger joint across the street that's already open).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have a lot I could add, because they're procedures to not do that, but I'll just say a side is half the cow. A round is a primal cut that is more or less the bootay. They were probably ordering cases of steaks from that area, that would be labled as a round steak of some kind, like bottom round, eye of round, ect, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah

I just know that they needed to be broken down into actual portions rather than arriving already portioned out

And boy, so did everyone working there