Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Darkest Auer posted:

If you're the goony type that can't live unless the temperature is between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius odds are that you never leave the house anyway so complaining about good weather is pointless.

lol at the babbies who have to be in scorching heat to socialize and don't appreciate the outdoor activities of a good crisp chilly fall.

also lol at 16-20 celcius not also being warm wuss weather.

Colds good for the soul.

Family Values posted:

Well it's a good thing you're not New Jersey, because um…

After my past weekend involved the third time that a NJ EZ-Pass unit failed in NJ tolls while working in NY ones.... let them drown, all of them...

Hey here's a loaded map for instance.

NJ should be yellow mixed with purple to indicate that it's a loving mess of a state whose transportation admin is run by chimpanzees and/or mafia.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s that Roman mafia heritage op

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, I didn't take a picture of this, but there is another label for Micronesia in the middle of the East Siberian Sea.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

HookShot posted:

Tag urself I'm Greater Jordan.

Is that the Shetlands tagged as Faroes?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm Taiwain, now with two "i's" to better watch Mainland China.

Meanwhile, New Caledona went blind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

*south.

Anyway, as an illustration: my house is an old thing half-buried in a hill, the walls are over one-meter-thick. Temperature outside right now: 36°C. Temperature inside, as told by a thermometer stuck to a north-side window: 24°C. No AC. Just opening all the windows during the night so the cool air can flow in the house, then at dawn closing them all as well as the shutters on the east, south, and west so sun rays will not directly hit the windows. The rest of the work is done by the extra-thicc stones of the walls.

Go watch a sunset with a compass some time. The one in your phone works fine.

The sun sets due west on the equinoxes.

North of the tropics, in the half of the year that includes summer, it sets north of west. It rises an equal distance north of east, too.

Within the Artic Circle, near the solstice, the Sun doesn’t set at all. It’s not hanging around in the south all day. It’s making a full tour of the compass bearings. It comes closest to the horizon in the north but does not touch it before climbing again.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

wednesday was 41 degrees on my city, walking on that sun feel like swimming in a soup

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grape posted:

After my past weekend involved the third time that a NJ EZ-Pass unit failed in NJ tolls while working in NY ones.... let them drown, all of them...

Hey here's a loaded map for instance.

NJ should be yellow mixed with purple to indicate that it's a loving mess of a state whose transportation admin is run by chimpanzees and/or mafia.

I get my ezpass from Delaware cuz they have 0 monthly fee, no requirement to maintain any sort of high balance fwiw.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Apparently there are no high quality maps on the internet of the theoretical war in Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. I am disappointed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

fishmech posted:

I get my ezpass from Delaware cuz they have 0 monthly fee, no requirement to maintain any sort of high balance fwiw.

What fucks me is how is it, a product of NJ, going to constantly not register on Jersey toll roads, and on the same exact trip over the Tappan Zee (MARIO CUOMO I KNOW, SHUT UP) or GW the NY tolls just auto register it and everything is hunky dory.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grape posted:

What fucks me is how is it, a product of NJ, going to constantly not register on Jersey toll roads, and on the same exact trip over the Tappan Zee (MARIO CUOMO I KNOW, SHUT UP) or GW the NY tolls just auto register it and everything is hunky dory.

Do you still have one of the old chunky rectangle tags? They're all getting due for replacement around now because the internal batteries are starting to fail, and older readers are starting to have issues with them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HookShot posted:

Tag urself I'm Greater Jordan.

I'm independent Kaliningrad Oblast.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Apparently there are no high quality maps on the internet of the theoretical war in Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. I am disappointed.

i had the dos game and it had a regularly updating map based on your actions so i call bullshit

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
it also had a little booklet of acoustic signatures that you had to look at in order to id the correct ship from sonar bounces

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lycus posted:

Get used to it, it'll only get worse from year to year.

HOT SO GLOBAL WARMING is just as stupid as IF GLOBAL WARMING THEN WHY COLD, and for the same reasons, but I imagine it has to be statistically significant already.

It's time to prepare for our Mad Max future by investing in Toyota pick-up trucks that can easily be converted into technicals with several machine guns mounted on them. Until society breaks down we could use them to carpool to work, should be useful in Brussels traffic

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Phlegmish posted:

HOT SO GLOBAL WARMING is just as stupid as IF GLOBAL WARMING THEN WHY COLD, and for the same reasons,

Not that that what I was doing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Didn't say you were, I agree that it's part of a statistical trend now.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Wait, is pessimism friday?

global warming =>
immigration from most affected areas =>
right wing parties feed from hate on immigrants =>
fascism

Once the sea levels start to raise, it will be game over for democracies around the world. Our democratic systems will not survive to one asian country underwater and a immigration of 30/100 million persons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately there are proven pathways against fascism.

Here is a politically loaded map.

But on that glorious day in December 1973, Luis Carrero Blanco went higher, farther, and faster than any other Fascist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"What the gently caress just went past my window?"
"What the gently caress just crashed at the back?"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

"What the gently caress just went past my window?"
"What the gently caress just crashed at the back?"

With a explosion of that power nearby, you probably are limited to think “what the gently caress” and try to breath again, with 100% of your attention in breathing, maybe 1% into paying attention if everyone around you is well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't say you were

Okay. I thought it came off that way.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Tei posted:

Wait, is pessimism friday?

nah, it's the whole week now.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Guavanaut posted:

But on that glorious day in December 1973, Luis Carrero Blanco went higher, farther, and faster than any other Fascist.

I had never heard of this before and before I read the article on the assassination that diagram made it seem like the car ramped from underground, through a tunnel, and then did a super cool flip over a church, killing the fash in an admittedly badass stunt gone awry

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

gently caress fascist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23AljT8B6gI

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Best assassination ever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait why are there fart sounds at the end :confused:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think terrorism is a solution to fascism.

More like give excuses to fascisms to operate. Maybe sometimes has happened in story that violence have stopped a violent regime, but are exceptions.

Terrorism polarize society and scare the "normal guy" that you want to involve into forcing the government out.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait why are there fart sounds at the end :confused:

Wait.. is this a joke? thats what a 2 cylinder engine sounds like, I believe.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 26, 2019

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tei posted:

More like give excuses to fascisms to operate. Maybe sometimes has happened in story that violence have stopped a violent regime, but are exceptions.

Terrorism polarize society and scare the "normal guy" that you want to involve into forcing the government out.

Necessary direct action against fascism isn't terrorism hth

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

A couple of months ago we needed to buy a new shower curtain,

What’s that island right off the coast of NE Austria? Did someone get up and move their island country into the Great Barrier Reef?

I wonder if they’ve been manufacturing that same map since before South Sudan became a country, or if they’re just selling off a massive stockpile from 2010.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Saladman posted:

What’s that island right off the coast of NE Austria?

pretty harsh against Slovakians imo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Saladman posted:

coast of NE Austria

noice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

What’s that island right off the coast of NE Austria? Did someone get up and move their island country into the Great Barrier Reef?
That's the Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands.

They have the best national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVKkIWbPrY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Spanish government maintains that it was a terrorist attack, because the Spanish government is still full of fascists.

People are punished for making jokes about it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tei posted:

Weird to post this in response to an attack that crippled a fascism government and hastened its end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Every fascist regime has ended by people talking to fascists and asking them nicely to step down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Georg Elser had been successful, can you imagine the hand-wringing over him today?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Spaced God posted:

Necessary direct action against fascism isn't terrorism hth

I mean, it's violence with the aim of forcing political change.

It's also self-defense.

And it's also morally imperative.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
Bolsheviks stopped assassinating princes not because it was the right thing to do but because it made normal Russians hate them. They did it fully pragmatically. They ended up on top. Horrifying violence is a tricky thing even if it's "right".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
About a year ago, Zoran Trifunović, a "construction enterpreneur and investor" with a long history of blackmailing people to evict them and sending out thugs to break their limbs if they refuse (I've seen newspaper clippings from over a decade ago showing the condition he left his victims in), was trying to force a 70 year old widow, Stojanka Stojanović, out of her home. When threats failed to work, he implied that her son might suffer an unfortunate accident. She tracked the guy down and shot him to death not long afterwards, put on her makeup, and waited in her home for the police to show up to arrest her. The media worked overtime to spin it as "killer granny on the loose", but mostly ended up making themselves look like idiots. The dead man's fellow thugs shat their pants and even slowed down their activities for a short while. (though right now, police authorities are being massively expanded to protect those innocent, well meaning enterpreneurs, with the EU applauding every step of the way and demanding more) The public reaction to the man's death can generally be summed up as "Good.", and the government got spammed with a bunch of messages asking for her release. Including a number from Croatia, Bosnia and Macedonia which were basically "I get it, she shot someone, you don't want her around, but why don't you send her over here instead? We need her!"

When a shadowy cabal is going around ganking people, or a 20-something middle class dude with delusions of grandeur decides to MAKE A POINT, that's one thing. When a 70 year old person is pushed into a corner by injustice visible to all, and has no choice left but to fight back... That's a different story.