Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

USAJOBS.gov, but agencies will also have "immediate" postings on their website you apply to via e-mail, aka PUBLIC FLYER postings.

Depending on the agency, it does not hurt to call their Human Capital/HR lines and inquire. Depending on who you talk to, they can hook you up if they like you.

If people think it's worth the post, I can go into my interpretation of how to navigate and best take advantage of the labyrinthine process.

If nothing else, it could be useful to add to the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153984090712018950?s=19

If an accused, or associate, in any other criminal case talked or acted like this in public they'd get looked at pretty hard for obstruction charges. Especially if they were a high profile, powerful person who can literally make policy by fiat.

Contrast the blase attitude of Rs to this poo poo to Obama making some careless comments about a military case which caused them to poo poo their collective loving pants about command treasonous command interference.

You just love to see it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

terrorist ambulance posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153984090712018950?s=19

If an accused, or associate, in any other criminal case talked or acted like this in public they'd get looked at pretty hard for obstruction charges. Especially if they were a high profile, powerful person who can literally make policy by fiat.

Contrast the blase attitude of Rs to this poo poo to Obama making some careless comments about a military case which caused them to poo poo their collective loving pants about command treasonous command interference.

You just love to see it

The Democrats are worthless controlled opposition.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ever had a nightmare about accidentally sending a comment about a client to a client?

Perram J posted:

During the course of yesterday in the usual back and forth of emails between myself, my staff and the Registry I was provided with several of the applicant’s emails. One of these I forwarded to my associate with only this remark: ‘*sigh*’. Unfortunately, this email was sent through my own error to the applicant.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

The Democrats are worthless controlled opposition.

Calling them worthless is a little unfair, given that many of them have managed to accumulate huge fortunes during their time in government.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Major Fucker posted:

Is it legal to walk around in public boner? Does it depend on how embarrassed you look?

Mr Enderby posted:

De minimis non curat lex

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Lmao

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Some of the people asking in the law questions thread scare me.

On an unrelated note I am building a new traffic tech startup and am looking for investors

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Some of the people asking in the law questions thread scare me.

On an unrelated note I am building a new traffic tech startup and am looking for investors

I'm not a bigtime tech investor kinda guy, but is there any mechanism through which I can bet against this startup, ie, "inverse" it? Thanks in advance.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I thought the tailgate detecting military grade LIDAR question was a joke

never underestimate goons :v:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

gently caress Pennsylvania

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Continuing the saga of my douchenozzle OC whose “people” claim I threatened them. His firm has, as we all agreed in chambers, been conflicted out and new counsel appointed. The order was pretty spartan. Big surprise. They did not file a motion to reconsider. (Because.... they agreed in chambers there was a conflict). However. This firm likes to play gently caress gently caress games and I absolutely expect them to bring another habeas or appeal based on this nonexistent threat and it’s clear interference with his 6th amendment rights. I don’t feel like dealing with this years from now. So I call new counsel. Who is a twit.

Me: explains situation. Making clear that the judge still assigned to the case was present for the entire conversation and knows they are full of poo poo. Suggests we do a canvass explaining what the conflict was and getting petitioner to acknowledge he is satisfied with new counsel. There. Done. No drama. Clean record.

Her: well I don’t think I can do that because I don’t want any appeals he might have.

Me: you can’t bring an appeal based on something that is objectively a fabrication.

Her: well. I have to advocate for my client.

Ok. Great. So now instead I’m going to explain all THIS to the judge and ask instead that he do a further oral articulation of what happened in chambers. And the judge will think OC is an rear end in a top hat. But hey! Zealous advocacy. Which apparently now includes just making poo poo up, even when there’s a loving judge as an eyewitness to your factual inaccuracy.

This profession blows. I’m auditioning for a few good men next month.

Edit: that is not a prostitution euphemism.

Edit 2: but maybe it should be.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
In related news, as I type this backstage, good god act 2 of Into the Woods drags.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like gently caress gently caress games

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Trying to meet a buddy of mine who is a partner at some firm for dinner.
Just got this text "Park and wait at [place]. Have crying associate situation."
Go to law school kids.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also, I'm hangry as gently caress, so I hate this associate.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nm posted:

Also, I'm hangry as gently caress, so I hate this associate.

Shouldn't take too long to fire the associate, right?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

nm posted:

Yeah. I remember sitting in an airport in Australia, trying to ignore this woman talking about how they have too many immigrants. She ended saying I should move there because there are always jobs for people like me (white).

In my last job I was delighted to be paired on a deal in an Asian city with a (white, like me) Australian colleague: she was super competent, smart, and stunningly attractive and yes, all of these made me happy to be working with her.

So it got a bit awkward when we’re having post work drinks and she suddenly goes off on one about how Australia’s now full of bloody Chinese and Indian people and you can’t trust them and it feels like you’re not in your own country any more, you know? I don’t think we were even talking about that, it just came out.

I mean I’m from the UK and we’re no slouches at the old racism, but it felt a bit OTT.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Okay, so back to book chat, I'm working my way though The Law Megathread Approved Reading List Of Good Things

blarzgh posted:

Ok, so here is the list:
- The Black Company, by Glen Cook
- The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
- The Craft Sequence Archives, bu Max Gladstone
- The Divine Cities Series, by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Broken Earth Trilogy, by NK Jemisin
- The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- The Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson

Prior Lists and Recommendations:
- Russo, Ship of Fools
- Children of Time, Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Blindsight, Peter Watts
- Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown
- Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer [Non-fiction; Muder, History, Religion]
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- The Gameshouse, Claire North
- The First Fifteen Live of Harry August, Claire North (or whatever pseudonym she used)
- Old Man's War, John Scalzi (The rest of the series sucks)
- The Aubrey–Maturin series, Ptrick O'Brian
- Hull Zero Three, Greg Bear
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
- Imperial Radch Series, Ann Leckie
- Hyperion, Dan Simmons (skip the sequels)
- Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

joat mon posted:

- The Aeronaut's Windlass, Jim Butcher.
- Rifters Trilogy, Peter Watts' (like Blindsight, also available free under a CC license)

Munin posted:

The Craft Sequence is solid.

quote:

- Discworld (duh)

I'm just finishing up the very last bits of all of Discworld (so good) and I'm gonna need some more books to read for Portugal. I'm gonna go for Hull Zero Three for sure, and a couple of others. What's a really solid book that's not on the list in your opinion? I probably wouldn't mind something in a more fantasy direction, there's a lot of great Sci-Fi on the list already.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

Okay, so back to book chat, I'm working my way though The Law Megathread Approved Reading List Of Good Things

I'm just finishing up the very last bits of all of Discworld (so good) and I'm gonna need some more books to read for Portugal. I'm gonna go for Hull Zero Three for sure, and a couple of others. What's a really solid book that's not on the list in your opinion? I probably wouldn't mind something in a more fantasy direction, there's a lot of great Sci-Fi on the list already.

For "urban fantasy" along the lines of Dresden Files, there's now a "2nd generation" of authors writing in the field who've learned from Jim Butcher's example and are just writing better novels. I'd recommend Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series or maybe even Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series over Dresden Files. (Dresden Files is still decent, just flawed).

Rivers of London follows Peter Grant, a mixed-race London policeman who happens to be an apprentice wizard.

quote:

´You can’t call them black magicians,´ I said.
´You realize that we’re using black in its metaphorical sense here,´ said Nightingale.
´It doesn’t matter,´ I said. ´Words change what they mean, don’t they? Some people would call me a black magician.´
´You’re not a magician,´ he said. ´You’re barely even an apprentice.´
´You’re changing the subject,´ I said.
´What should we call them?´ he asked patiently.
´Ethically challenged magical practitioners,´ I said.

It's set in London and Aaronovitch is a stickler for accuracy in a way that Butcher never bothered with -- e.g., not only do the cops all follow actual british police procedure, not only can you follow the chase scenes on google maps, not only do different characters speak with the appropriate dialects for their social class and area of London, but when there's a ghost the ghost speaks in appropriate dialect for its social class and region of london and historical era. It's just polished in a way Dresden isn't, getting the details right.

Alex Verus series is about a wizard who's only magical power is being able to see a few minutes into the future and then adjust his actions accordingly. It's not on the same level as Aaronovitch prose-wise but it's got a very fast pace and it pulls fewer punches than Dresden does (Verus's dark past is actually legit dark, etc.).

OTOH it might be wortwhile to read Dresden first then when / if you get sick of it try one of those two -- it might be easier to read Dresden and appreciate it as the first thing in its sub-genre before moving on to the second generation.

The other big fantasy recommend in TBB is generally Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart, which won the world fantasy award in 1990 and is just a polished little happy gem of a book. It has two sequels but they aren't as good -- they'd be good books if they didn't have to follow Bridge of Birds, but by comparison they're shadows.

The current sci-fi hotness in TBB is the Murderbot series by Martha Wells, about a ruthless android killing machine gone rogue who has social anxiety and doesn't particularly want to be all that ruthless.

quote:

“I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites. It had been well over 35,000 hours or so since then, with still not much murdering, but probably, I don't know, a little under 35,00 hours of movies, serials, books, plays, and music consumed. As a heartless killing machine, I was a terrible failure.”

quote:

“They were all so nice and it was just excruciating. I was never taking off the helmet again. I can't do even the half-assed version of this stupid job if I have to talk to humans.”

I can recommend other genres too or if you really want a deep dive check out or Book Barn Book of the Month archives:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893182

We've done a book a month every year for like 14 years now at least and most of the threads are archived so you can read the old discussions etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 26, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Extremely cool. I keep forgetting there's a subforum for everything, but particularly books. I find TBB a little hard to navigate sometimes, and I do trust the recommendations itt a lot since for some reason they've mostly been very good. Obviously, though I also need to :getin: TBB.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, they are going on the list.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just looking over the old BotM archives, my *particular* recommends would be

January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome

February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon

July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin

August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott

April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout

June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Also, time for a shameless plug:

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1154400545362329600

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Holy poo poo, you are the new thread hero, and my good friend. All of those are after my cursory inspection just now going on my list.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

disjoe posted:

gently caress Pennsylvania

I generally agree with this but why

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

I generally agree with this but why

It's a statement, not a suggestion, put your pants back on

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If you want free ebooks, pay a visit to Faded Page for some excellent 20th-century stuff. Authors include C.S. Lewis, Ernest Hemingway, Dorothy Sayers, Nathanael West, Ian Fleming, Evelyn Waugh, C.S. Forster, Raymond Chandler, and more.

It’s not :filez: provided you’re in Canada.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’ve been on a non-fiction kick lately. I just finished vol 1 of the Caro LBJ books. I had read Master of the Senate and Passages of Power years ago. Highly recommend the whole series.

Now I’m reading Midnight in Chernobyl and it’s, uh, horrifying. I haven’t watched the HBO show yet.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ActusRhesus posted:

In related news, as I type this backstage, good god act 2 of Into the Woods drags.

Long ago a drama teacher said the real reason act 2 drags is because act 1 is just too loving long in its own right.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ActusRhesus posted:

Her: well I don’t think I can do that because I don’t want any appeals he might have.

Me: you can’t bring an appeal based on something that is objectively a fabrication.

Her: well. I have to advocate for my client.

I don't know how experienced OC was, but this is basically what they taught when I was in school. Ignore the actual *rules* just fight and advocate and fight and advocate no matter what because if you don't you're a bad attorney who doesn't know how to fight and advocate and somehow that's all that matters.

As far as books on the list and new book suggestions -- anyone have a good place to start? Or should I just knock them out in order? I'm just finishing The Big Stick by Eliot Cohen ( https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29502393-the-big-stick ) which is a great read if you have any interest in military history and force-readiness. So now I'm looking for something new.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

AR, how long until you start recording every phone call with OC?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ya'll are loving nerds
will probably check some books out on my kindle

Edit: the associate was not fired and I told my friend he's not ready for the big time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

The March North by Graydon Saunders is fun post-apocalyptic fantasy. It's very much an Anabasis rewrite, as so much milfic is, but it's a fun world to put it in. There are sequels. They're completely different and best thought of as "stories about magical civil engineering combined with half-formed thoughts on how to organize society when you have magic civil engineering" and are badly in need of a better editor. (I still read them for some reason.)

Tim Powers is good in general - I'd say read Declare (magic is real plus WW2 spying plus Kim Philby) and the Anubis Gates (time travel, summoning Egyptian gods to destroy the world, society as a dead poet) and you've read his two best, but his other work is still worthwhile.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Time to buy more books to throw on my huge pile of unread books.

Someday, someday.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 26, 2019

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nm posted:

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

Go to law school kids.

what had he done to the associate?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The current sci-fi hotness in TBB is the Murderbot series by Martha Wells, about a ruthless android killing machine gone rogue who has social anxiety and doesn't particularly want to be all that ruthless.
Be forewarned, they are like $10-13 apiece for kind novella-sized books. e: But the one I read was very good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nm posted:

Go to law school kids.

Lol @ the notion of an associate showing genuine emotion and keeping their job.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Arcturas posted:

AR, how long until you start recording every phone call with OC?

she's been on my list of *five minutes after phone call, send e-mail* "Hi, just to follow up on out previous conversation, am I correct in understanding that (fill in substance here)." for over a year now.

Before I just thought she was dumb. Now I think she may just be dishonest as well. A shame, because for the most part the other associates at her firm don't make me want to punch them.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol @ the notion of an associate showing genuine emotion and keeping their job.

That associate is hosed - there was another associate suicide this week - a 5th year at Bracewell in Houston. There are way too many, and firms absolutely don't take mental health seriously in any manner - a crying associate has no shot of a future at the firm, a cautionary tale to others that may be struggling to keep that poo poo to yourself.

Take care of yourselves lawyer friends. The law is not worth your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Come on. You don't fire crying associates. That poo poo is Grade A erection fuel.