Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Nicaden posted:

Heads up folks, apparently Pillars of Eternity 1 is coming to the Nintendo Switch in August and it’s the complete edition with all the dlc. I don’t know if the website is reliable but it’s saying that you can preorder it on the EU eShop already so EU goons can probably check to confirm.

https://nintendoeverything.com/pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition-coming-to-switch-next-month/

E: I’m dumb

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inzombiac posted:

Shakedown Hawaii is on sale.

I cannot recommend it in good conscience. It's sometimes funny and the action is what you'd expect from a GTA 2 clone.

However, the whole game is about amassing a fortune so you can buy up all the property in the city to become a monopoly kingpin.

The issue is that you amass such extraordinary wealth early on that money is never a factor. Hell, you can just leave the game on to make passive cash if you really want.

Games like this are hard to balance but when you have a single property giving you $10M every few minutes, there is no risk.

There's also nothing to spend the money on. Everything you can buy that isn't property is chump change.

Edit: I got 100% in the game at about 12ish hours. After the first two I was on auto pilot, just breezing through the entire thing.

But 12 hours is about the exact right length for a game like this. Doesnt overstay its welcome.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: So I just did the fight against Ultron and uh, are the AI companions just supposed to stand there and eat poo poo during the MMO "don't stand in the lava" parts? Also during the turret section some of them just stopped shooting so I had to go through four more fights with adds because I wasn't doing damage fast enough.

Is this game really only meant to be played multiplayer, and is that stuff going to get worse

I don't feel like it's as obviously bad after that, there's just points where its like "no Venom don't attack the random dude on the other side of the Screen when the boss is stunned and I want to use a synergy attack"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But 12 hours is about the exact right length for a game like this. Doesnt overstay its welcome.

Oh for sure but after 2 hours there is nothing new and you're just amassing wealth for no purpose.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Looking for a fun LAN co-op drop-in game
Overcooked 2

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/WormsTeam17/status/1154413001065340931

New update for Worms WMD with a new theme and poo poo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Looking for a fun LAN co-op drop-in game

Friend brought over Ultimate Alliance, which was super fun. So getting the vouchers for that and something else

Donkey Kong maybe a bit too hard?
Have New Super Mario Bro’s
Have Hyrule Warriors
Have Mario Kart

Had Kirby Star Allies though didn’t play it much? I think they patched in a bunch of free DLC? I remember it being a fun party game

Not a fan of this Mario party

Yoshi’s Crafted world maybe? Or Kirby?

If you want a 2d platformer and are going to be playing by LAN (so lag isn't an issue) what about Mario Maker?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My girlfriend loves Pokémon and has recently started enjoying Street Fighter. Is Pokken Tournament gonna be something we want to play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vegetable posted:

My girlfriend loves Pokémon and has recently started enjoying Street Fighter. Is Pokken Tournament gonna be something we want to play

Its fun. Its like if you took tekken and ruined it with a bad arena fighter but the tekkenish part is still ok.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

good lord this third story island (snowy castle one) chapter of dqb2 draaaags :negative:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When malroth is hearing voices the game thinks i need a whole minute to read 10 words and i cant skip it. Its painful

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Real hurthling! posted:

When malroth is hearing voices the game thinks i need a whole minute to read 10 words and i cant skip it. Its painful

yah wtf was that

I wasn't sure if it was hiding loading or ???? because it seemed inconsistent about how long it might decide to just sit there on a sentence

bizarre

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Vegetable posted:

There's a pretty good demo to try out. Pokken is fun but isn't great.

Smash ultimate is a better fighting game that has pokemon in it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

yah wtf was that

I wasn't sure if it was hiding loading or ???? because it seemed inconsistent about how long it might decide to just sit there on a sentence

bizarre
The voice of god or whatever seems to speak sloooooooow when coming from Japan. Remember the 4 giants in Zelda MM? I sure do!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like a Pokken 2: Oops All Tekken

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hah! some dorks were attempting to dunk on DF recently but this is timely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aF1DyLCfA

I haven't futzed around with the custom worlds though and oooof

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

holy moly people have make some ridiculously beautiful block based art in this semi clunky builder game :eyepop:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sub 20 fps during custom stuff even on ps4 pro :psyduck:

drat

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

finally finished the moonbrooke bit and it was a bit of a slog but I'm so proud of my island family of powerful monster murdering friends :3:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Nicaden posted:

Heads up folks, apparently Pillars of Eternity 1 is coming to the Nintendo Switch in August and it’s the complete edition with all the dlc. I don’t know if the website is reliable but it’s saying that you can preorder it on the EU eShop already so EU goons can probably check to confirm.

https://nintendoeverything.com/pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition-coming-to-switch-next-month/

What ever happened to the Pillars 2 switch release?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

hah! some dorks were attempting to dunk on DF recently but this is timely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aF1DyLCfA

I haven't futzed around with the custom worlds though and oooof

DF are good

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I heard the new Fire Emblem wasn't supposed to have good dialogue from some early review but this is better than the 3ds ones which weren't bad and it's been fun and more interesting than just a map of encounters.

The owls help sell that Harry Potter vibe but there are also cats and dogs wandering around.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I can't listen to the audio rn but am I seeing correctly that the switch version of dqb2 can drop to single digit frames.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I can't listen to the audio rn but am I seeing correctly that the switch version of dqb2 can drop to single digit frames.

Yeah, in the really complex user made worlds. This isn't surprising considering the game seems to render almost exactly the same on both the PS4 version and the Switch version. It's actually pretty impressive that the Switch version isn't even worse in extreme situations like that considering the game can bring the PS4 Pro down to sub 20 FPS in similar situations. Really the game needs optimization on both platforms.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Started Dark Souls. It's good. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I do like the palpable sense of danger. I figure a good gauge of "Get out of here!" is when you can barely scratch an enemy right? I managed to pick up some good weapons, I think?, this way before running away/dying after realizing I had no business in a place. The mystery of the whole game is both nice and annoying. It's cool that you don't anything about the world and it's all discovery, and on the other hand, some explanation about the systems and what items do would go a long way.

I'm currently at at the first boss in undead burg. I've died 5 or 6 times. It's not a big deal, and I'm sure I'll get the timing of the rolling right, but it's still a bit tedious to go through all the mooks every single time. It's not exactly a boss rush, but it's a bit like The Darker Side in Odyssey. Maybe you're just bad at one part but you still have to go through everything again every time. Especially since, you can't really face-tank or just sprint past all of them, so you have to take the time to fight them, lick your wounds, and then try the boss again. I'm worried that that's going to get old fast, especially since I heard that was fixed in later games.

Do weapons outclass one another? I figure that the game is mostly about weapon styles. I really enjoy fighting with a spear I picked up so far, though I think I found a stronger Straight Sword. I leveled up enough to use it but I think I prefer the poking things from a distance so far.

Last, is the combat comparable to Monster Hunters? Because if so, I think I'd be willing to try it out. Combat in Dark Souls is clunky but it's good. There's a real danger and risk in every fight and it feels brutal. I imagine for someone who has a 3DS and a Switch the advisable game is the Switch one right?

Nicaden posted:

That's pretty cool. I just beat it finally earlier this summer and I don't see myself beating it again. The battle system is good but I found it too detailed for my simple mind. I eventually beat it in Story (ultra easy) mode just to see the rest of the story, which I genuinely liked. It's got great fantasy writing and I really liked the ending of the game. I'd definitely get the sequel, if only for the world-building, also it seems the sequel has a turn-based mode which intrigues me.

I think 44 euro for the whole package is a good deal, that's only made worse cause it's way cheaper on other consoles, if you like this type of game and fantasy plotlines. That said, while I do think it'd be cosy to play in bed and read things, I fear the lots of text will be too small.

Reality Sinner posted:

Yeah, this is the one I'm waiting on. It's not worth getting the first one again just for "continuity" so I'll live without my save transferring over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reality Sinner posted:

yeah that's the one I'm interested in

did they ever finish that turn-based mode?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Started Dark Souls. It's good. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I do like the palpable sense of danger. I figure a good gauge of "Get out of here!" is when you can barely scratch an enemy right? I managed to pick up some good weapons, I think?, this way before running away/dying after realizing I had no business in a place. The mystery of the whole game is both nice and annoying. It's cool that you don't anything about the world and it's all discovery, and on the other hand, some explanation about the systems and what items do would go a long way.

I'm currently at at the first boss in undead burg. I've died 5 or 6 times. It's not a big deal, and I'm sure I'll get the timing of the rolling right, but it's still a bit tedious to go through all the mooks every single time. It's not exactly a boss rush, but it's a bit like The Darker Side in Odyssey. Maybe you're just bad at one part but you still have to go through everything again every time. Especially since, you can't really face-tank or just sprint past all of them, so you have to take the time to fight them, lick your wounds, and then try the boss again. I'm worried that that's going to get old fast, especially since I heard that was fixed in later games.

Do weapons outclass one another? I figure that the game is mostly about weapon styles. I really enjoy fighting with a spear I picked up so far, though I think I found a stronger Straight Sword. I leveled up enough to use it but I think I prefer the poking things from a distance so far.

It's always cool reading first-time impressions of Dark Souls. I'm far from an authority on the game, but one thing that really helps to learn is that your roll has a good amount of invincibility frames, or i-frames. When you get a feel for how long the invincibility window is, you can start rolling through enemy attacks left and right and get right up against them, rather than blocking with a shield or rolling away completely out of melee range.

There are different types of rolls, too, depending on your encumbrance level. If you're wearing a lot, your roll will be really long and slow, but unequip all your armor and it'll come out lightning-fast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe you're just bad at one part but you still have to go through everything again every time. Especially since, you can't really face-tank or just sprint past all of them, so you have to take the time to fight them, lick your wounds, and then try the boss again. I'm worried that that's going to get old fast, especially since I heard that was fixed in later games.

No no, you will find shortcuts!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No no, you will find shortcuts!

The map does seem intricately designed. So that's cool and good.

I tried taking some alternative paths aside from this first boss and got wrecked. There's some dude wielding a weird curved cone in the bottom of the same tower. I can avoid him easily enough, but I hardly hurt him, to the point it doesn't seem worth it to plink away at him, when one hit destroys you. The other is some black knight looking guy just down some stairs, on the way to the same tower. I feel like I should be able to beat him because he's really not in a tough area at all, but I can't. He's guarding an item I'd like to get at, but again it's a tough fight and I don't seem to do any damage to him, when two hits is enough to off me. The knight seems harder if only because he moves far faster. My other plan is to just get him to chase me and then to steal the thing he was guarding, but at some point I need to actually fight things.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Pretty sure Fates had really good early reviews so uh

Fates has a higher metacritic score than 3 houses currently does it that counts for anything

I’m still curious about 3 houses, I think I’ll give it a week or so to see how people feel

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Oh for sure but after 2 hours there is nothing new and you're just amassing wealth for no purpose.

Ah, just like real property owners

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You can definitely sprint past enemies to bosses in Dark Souls - it just takes some practice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inzombiac posted:

I found the story and main missions all pretty fun, especially the cartel missions which reminded me of Cannon Fodder

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I downloaded the first Metal Slug on Switch and good lord it struggles with the frame rate a lot. Are the other MS ports like this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo am I fuckin stupid or what because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change the perma death mode in FE:Awaking.

Like do I gotta restart the game? I was under the impression you could do it on the fly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Which of the games in the Street Fighter collection should we be playing? There are so many it’s hard to choose.

Also not recommended to play these games on separate joycons. God my palms hurt. Buying an adapter so I can hook my DualShock up to it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vegetable posted:

Which of the games in the Street Fighter collection should we be playing? There are so many it’s hard to choose.

Also not recommended to play these games on separate joycons. God my palms hurt. Buying an adapter so I can hook my DualShock up to it.

I mean, they all have certain charms, but 3rd Strike is the best Street Fighter.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MarcusSA posted:

Yo am I fuckin stupid or what because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change the perma death mode in FE:Awaking.

Like do I gotta restart the game? I was under the impression you could do it on the fly.

I don't remember if Awakening uses the same system as Fates or not but aside from the beginning of the game, there should be an option in the settings menu for difficulty which lets you switch to casual mode (as well as go down in difficulty, but you can't go up).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vegetable posted:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Alpha 3 are my favorites.

Anyone get their 15 bucks from Amazon for Starlink or whatever game you ordered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I haven't played anything that controls like Resident Evil 4 in a very long time, and for the last four years the only shooter I've played is motion-controlled Splatoon. My brain was not very happy about about going back.