Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bummer man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
drat, RIP.

Truly the face of SC2 commentary today, and drat I'm going to miss hearing it.

Now to watch the Starcraft 20th anniversary stream and cry like a big baby: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/244687178

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Really sad. Incontrol was the best caster and a really great guy.

https://youtu.be/0VKq3CZJSRI

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Synastren posted:

Supposedly it was an infection that was undergoing treatment that suddenly went horribly.

Holy poo poo. He did a video like half a week ago and seemed fine, that's awful.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cross posted:

Geoff spent his life doing the thing he enjoyed and had passion for, Starcraft. He was a significant part of its history, as a player and a commentator. He was a fixture in one of the most enjoyable SC2 events, the Homestory Cup.

He played an important role in shaping the modern era of e-sports that we live in now, particularly for the game he loved, Starcraft.

He left us way too soon but that’s not a bad legacy to have at all.

You will be missed, Geoff.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Really sad. Just terrible.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Affecting me more than I might have thought, to be honest. Geoff was a real, genuine guy, and I'm extremely sad that he's gone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Day9 is chatting about Geoff on his stream today:

https://www.twitch.tv/day9tv

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Day9 is chatting about Geoff on his stream today:

https://www.twitch.tv/day9tv

That was a very emotional stream, thank you for the notice.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

It was a great stream.

It's such a weird parasocial thing. I wasn't expecting to, but I've cried a lot about it today. He was just such a cool dude, I spent months falling asleep to him playing Xcom.

It's just very sad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Emasculator posted:

It was a great stream.

It's such a weird parasocial thing. I wasn't expecting to, but I've cried a lot about it today. He was just such a cool dude, I spent months falling asleep to him playing Xcom.

It's just very sad.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I believe the reason it's so upsetting is if you knew him you likely also know the whole troupe of people from the industry so you're not just getting your own emotional hit from the loss of someone you know/enjoy but also you're vicariously aware of the more devastating loss to these ancillary people you also care about. Even if you aren't watching people like day9, nathanius, etc be so brave as to host a stream about their dead friend 1-2 days after the fact you're still grieving for their loss on top of your own sadness.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Emasculator posted:

It was a great stream.

It's just very sad.

He could be a bit grating to some people for sure, but the dude dumped a ton of personality into everything he did and always came across very genuinely. As something of a curmudgeon, his personality played off of the light-heartedness of most of the rest of the SC casting community really well.

What a shame, this sucks.

Keegers posted:

Was creeping his Twitter and came across these words. Eerie

This is some real wisdom.

I Love You! posted:

Thanks. I'll be alright; I have a lot of friends who were closer to him than I was. Not sure how we're going to go in to work tomorrow.

All you can do sometimes is get the sadness out on your own time and then think about what their qualities were that made them special. And then try to carry those qualities forward in your own way.

Losing people always loving sucks though and I'm sorry you lost a friend

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
oops

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At least Incontrol and Totalbiscuit will be together in heaven to commentate on the starcraft tournaments held there. :shobon:

Its comforting to think about that at least.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I've been thinking a lot about this and I believe the reason it's so upsetting is if you knew him you likely also know the whole troupe of people from the industry so you're not just getting your own emotional hit from the loss of someone you know/enjoy but also you're vicariously aware of the more devastating loss to these ancillary people you also care about. Even if you aren't watching people like day9, nathanius, etc be so brave as to host a stream about their dead friend 1-2 days after the fact you're still grieving for their loss on top of your own sadness.

Pretty much this. Seeing everyone from the SC2/esports and the DND RP streaming community, many of whom I probably only know of because I followed him to JP's channel years ago, collectively mourning his passing weighs heavily. Hearing Day9 break up and Rotti's account of how Artosis was handling the news today finally busted down that veneer of denial I had. I also feel bad for the 40k guys, many of whom didn't know Geoff, because even though I'm not into that scene I'm certain he would've done great things for them too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DeepThrobble posted:

Pretty much this. Seeing everyone from the SC2/esports and the DND RP streaming community, many of whom I probably only know of because I followed him to JP's channel years ago, collectively mourning his passing weighs heavily. Hearing Day9 break up and Rotti's account of how Artosis was handling the news today finally busted down that veneer of denial I had. I also feel bad for the 40k guys, many of whom didn't know Geoff, because even though I'm not into that scene I'm certain he would've done great things for them too.

link to rotti talking about artosis?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

link to rotti talking about artosis?

Rotti posted:

I was in China yesterday and flew home last night. I had no acces to the foreign websites but received the news after tod and I casted the grand finals of the Wc3 tournament and took the shuttle home. Nick and dan were waiting for us in the lobby and told us to follow them. We had no idea what it was about and made some silly jokes as we always do, getting closer to the room I noticed dan could barely walk anymore and was breathing heavily, I got worried and was like what the why are we going here and as soon as nick and dan opened the door dan walked into the room and collapsed on the floor crying, nick then told us and obviously we all went through the worst of the worst moments imaginable. Tears were shared for hours but the one thing that made it a bit better is that we were there with each other, supporting each other and trying to be there for one another. We spend 4-5 hours in nicks room, going through it all, the shock, the sadness, the tears and eventually even laughter as we went over all the times Geoff made our life’s a million times better.

It’s been incredibly hard and even if we can be happy and feel great about knowing him so well and being so close to him, the moment I was alone it just hit like a bus again and Ive been having a hard time to control my emotions. I can only thank Yoan , nick and dan for being there for me all those hours and finding a little bit of comfort in one of the worst days of my life. The community’s response is heartwarming and even if we are all overwhelmed with sadness, let’s never forget that when we think of Geoff we think of humor and smiles. No matter how hard that is, that’s the way he would want it to be. He loved this community and this game, and we can only try to relive the amazing moments we’ve had with him and be happy he was with us for so long. It feels incredibly hosed up and cruel to even be writing this, we shouldn’t be having this conversation and the page shouldn’t be filled with posts about how Geoff is no longer with us. I love you guys and the community and I hope there’s a heaven where he’s looking down upon us and makes fun of us for being so sad.

And Artosis ended up sharing his thoughts on twitter:

Artosis posted:

Every time I try to put this into words it seems so cheap. There's no way to describe what I feel or what he meant to me or how he impacted me. I am completely devastated. He was like a best friend and a brother.

We played and hung out together for probably 14 years or so. He was a great competitor. He succeeded massively in anything he put his mind to. He was brilliant and talented. I always felt that I had to work 5x as much to be as good as him.

Geoff was such a good person. He was always kind. He was full of character. He actually cared about things, and about what was right and what was wrong. There's no one I'd rather have worked with.

The time I spent with Geoff was amazing. The events with he, Nick and Sean were the most fun I've ever had working in my life. He was family and friend. I traveled the world with him. SC2 events just won't be the same without him there.

I just assumed I would work with and be friends with him forever. Its incomprehensible that this could happen. My deepest sympathies to his family, friends, and to him. He didn't deserve this. It's so unfair

The world is different now. I miss him so much. I am so lucky to have known him.

It really sucks. I only met him once at MLG Anaheim but he was so nice and personable. Day9's stream today was really emotional and cathartic.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Turned out to be a blood clot in the lungs :(

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
Yesterday I kept wondering why I was feeling sad, realising it was because incontrol died, then getting a weird emotional shock because I hadn't really processed that he was gone. Repeat.

I'm watching the day9 stream now, and it's really getting me :(

Like a lot of people I grew up watching starcraft, with Geoff (and day9, artosis, tasteless) always being around. Streaming has only added to that feeling that you know these guys; they aren't just celebrities or public figures. I've been lucky enough not to have to go through the death of a friend or even a peer of a similar age. Geoff's passing has affected me more than I could have thought. What a premature, random, unfair way to go.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Full twitter thread for artosis is here:

https://twitter.com/Artosis/status/1153492562675564545

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I remember him having a close call with DVT maybe 5 years back. Think maybe he had a predisposition toward clots?

As Artosis said, words feel cheap, but it's such a shame and a massive loss for the community.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thinking of going to Dreamhack Montreal and making a sign for the guy. Anyone else thinking of going?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Thinking of going to Dreamhack Montreal and making a sign for the guy. Anyone else thinking of going?

Had I known WCS was actually coming to North America, I would have started planning months ago.

Welp.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Synastren posted:

Had I known WCS was actually coming to North America, I would have started planning months ago.

Welp.

WCS has been coming to North America for years though :confused:

Dreamhack Montreal is Sep 6 to 8, last I checked.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WCS has been coming to North America for years though :confused:

Dreamhack Montreal is Sep 6 to 8, last I checked.

Yeah, they made some big changes to WCS this year, and with two stops in Kyiv and a single Dreamhack stop (I think?) I just assumed the DH tournament would also be in Europe.

I wish they'd come stateside again. :smith:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Synastren posted:

Yeah, they made some big changes to WCS this year, and with two stops in Kyiv and a single Dreamhack stop (I think?) I just assumed the DH tournament would also be in Europe.

I wish they'd come stateside again. :smith:

Don't the finals always happen stateside? I guess at that point you're kinda locked into Blizzcon, though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love Starcraft 2

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't the finals always happen stateside? I guess at that point you're kinda locked into Blizzcon, though.

WCS finals are always at Blizzcon. Blizzcon is expensive and difficult to get into relative to, say, DreamHack Austin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Synastren posted:

WCS finals are always at Blizzcon. Blizzcon is expensive and difficult to get into relative to, say, DreamHack Austin.

Yeah. :(

Well, anyone that comes up North, I'll buy you a poutine, and we can reminisce about how dope it was to see Geoff beat The Long War on the hardest difficulty + Ironman and it was super cathartic to see him own the poo poo out of that game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I love Starcraft 2

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'll be around, looking forward to many Geoff signs

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

bamhand posted:

I remember him having a close call with DVT maybe 5 years back. Think maybe he had a predisposition toward clots?

Could have. But it's probably moreso from having a sedentary streamer lifestyle and his heart not being able to keep up with the extra weight he was carrying.

Usually blood clots and bowel cancer (like what killed TotalBiscuit) occur to office workers but I guess streaming full-time and flying on planes often means he would be sitting still for even longer periods than that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Gents, I think it's so loving sad, and such loving bullshit, that InControl is dead. Like seriously, and for real, gently caress that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
It is loving unreal.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I Love You! posted:

I'll be around, looking forward to many Geoff signs

No joke, I'm already planning tk make like 2 or 3 templates so i can make a ton of signs real quick at the event and try to get whatever section im in to all show signs at the same time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Maru Solar Stats Rogue, good lord that is a savage group

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Maru Solar Stats Rogue, good lord that is a savage group

Kissing my fingertips so hard that they bleed, and I’m loving every second.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Ragnarok has a tough group but at least he only has to practice his ZvP.

I hope he can smash those dirty Protoss!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
We have to wait 4 more weeks for GSL? What the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Just came across a recommended video by Day9 entitled "Remembering iNcontroL" and thought he had retired, switched professions or literally anything else

Just really terrible news :(