Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Zane posted:

not exactly imo. but you could say it stages a debate over how the idea of heroism should be manifested within social/political institutions. is it inherited from the past (tending towards hierarchy & tradition) or should it be reconstituted by every generation (tending towards equality & innovation)?

That makes some degree of sense, the thing I read about Byleth was that he was an artificial attempt at creating a 'chosen one' or something to that effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tae posted:

Switch sucks, handheld mode lasts for barely 2 hours.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm really liking the voice acting. Jeralt's voice in particular is very good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why are people defending the battery life

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not, I'm just empty quoting someone saying the switch owns, cause it does. I played on my TV tonight and I'm gonna play on the bus tomorrow. I am the target demographic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
am I missing something or can you not buy promotion items on the same day you use them. It seems like you have to buy them on free days and spend them on lecture days, which is inconvenient

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have had no issues with the Battery life.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They replaced niosi with Zach Aguilar in FE Heroes. We might get a yakuza style replacement patch in the future for M! Byleth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

They replaced niosi with Zach Aguilar in FE Heroes. We might get a yakuza style replacement patch in the future for M! Byleth.

Where are you seeing that? My MByleth is still listed as uncredited, which is presumably Niosi.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm liking it! But so far the writing and voice acting are pretty plain, yeah. I wasn't following pre-release coverage, so I was surprised to see all of the students divided into commoners and nobles, although just from meeting everyone in the first couple hours a lot of those commoners also basically just seem like nobles to me. One of them is a commoner princess somehow, but maybe the Black Eagles are just so noble that even their commoners are someone else's nobility.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Tae posted:

That's pretty hilarious, and would probably be the only way I'd play M!Byleth.

Also yeah Switch battery is poor but I doubt FE3H is the only game that runs it down in a hurry

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Where are you seeing that? My MByleth is still listed as uncredited, which is presumably Niosi.

The literal video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VTL5EkDIjY

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
it's less the writing than the vo that seems stilted. i might switch to japanese.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I guess it must be planned for an upcoming update then

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh no...

I just chose my side and it just dawned on me. This game is massive, isn't it? This is going to take me forever to finish.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dimitri looks the coolest when he grows up, so that's who I'm picking.

It's like Pokemon, the final evolution is the one I always base my choice around.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In true FE fashion MC had a great first level and then 3 levels of +2 stats :negative: and not even good stats, poo poo stats like luck and dex. At least the bases are good because this is depressing :shepface: .

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can you change the text language/voice language in the North American release of this game to Japanese? Kinda want to buy it, but I am pretty dead-set on practicing Japanese right now, so I don't know if I should get the NA version or the JP version.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

BabyRyoga posted:

Can you change the text language/voice language in the North American release of this game to Japanese? Kinda want to buy it, but I am pretty dead-set on practicing Japanese right now, so I don't know if I should get the NA version or the JP version.

Yes.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Both voice AND text? The text is way more important

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Been playing the game for a bit and it seems pretty good.

I like how a lot of the characters even those who aren't especially close with the house leader seem like they've got story hooks for more than just supports. Ashe's dad seems pretty important and Annette is searching around for a specific knight, and they're among those who seem the least connected to Dimitri and everything. Some of the VO ain't great though. Still early but Mercedes is rough.

There's also definitely a lot of new systems I know i'm not going to fully engage with. There's a lot to do.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Well Felix on team blue is ridiculous. Why yes I think I will attack 4 times for ~19 each at level 3, thank you. I'm sure his dumb unique skill will falloff as the game goes on though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

game good

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

LemonAIDS posted:

Well Felix on team blue is ridiculous. Why yes I think I will attack 4 times for ~19 each at level 3, thank you. I'm sure his dumb unique skill will falloff as the game goes on though

...did you manage to get a brave sword early on? I know it's not his crest, it says his crest increases the Might of his weapons or something.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Game got, play time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

...did you manage to get a brave sword early on? I know it's not his crest, it says his crest increases the Might of his weapons or something.

Gauntlets have a brave effect

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gauntlets have a brave effect

yeah its gauntlets plus his skill of +5 damage when not using a battalion, along with wizard whats her faces rally for +4 damage. Mine has high speed or whatever so he almost always double attacks so thats 4 attacks each with +9 damage if i rally him. its great

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Played it on and off most of today and only got to the 3rd battle against bandits. Text is pretty hard to read handheld. Game is good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Played for an hour and a half, just about to start the second battle. Immediately beelined to the library and read up. Learning about the relationships between the different noble families of the Empire made me 1000% more interested in Ferdinand (and also the other Eagles but I was already interested in them).

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Waiting for the physical Walmart copy tomorrow (or well, the boyfriend is), but just to confirm, durability is per-map, right? Or you can repair in between maps?

The reports about the maps being easy doesn't worry me -- you can still do interesting things with level design without being difficult. What is worrying me is FoW though -- I just fundamentally don't agree with that sort of direction of 'challenge'. In my opinion that's several huge steps back game-design-wise.

I'll be happy to eat my words, and I'm not ruling out that you could do FoW well, but... it's certainly not easy to pull off.

e:

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Played it on and off most of today and only got to the 3rd battle against bandits. Text is pretty hard to read handheld. Game is good.

Welp, and it'll be even less readable on the Switch Lite or whatever it'll be called!

(Or you could play on Switch Pro and get only 30 minutes of battery instead of 2 hours.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ferdinand has some great supports so far after getting a bunch of C ranks.

facepalmolive posted:

Waiting for the physical Walmart copy tomorrow (or well, the boyfriend is), but just to confirm, durability is per-map, right? Or you can repair in between maps?

The reports about the maps being easy doesn't worry me -- you can still do interesting things with level design without being difficult. What is worrying me is FoW though -- I just fundamentally don't agree with that sort of direction of 'challenge'. In my opinion that's several huge steps back game-design-wise.

I'll be happy to eat my words, and I'm not ruling out that you could do FoW well, but... it's certainly not easy to pull off.

Spell durability is per map. Regular weapons work as they did pre-Fates so far, but presumably once the blacksmith opens up you're able to repair them. I'm nearing the end of month 3 without that option available yet though.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Good to know re: weapons before I accidentally find myself short-handed. As long as you can easily replenish in between fights, I don't particularly care if it's buy vs. repair, though not having to juggle piles of near-broken iron swords would be nice.

Special weapons, sure, but why must there be durability on iron weapons? :(

vvvv: Oh ya that's true, forgot they tied those to weapon durability.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 26, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Because combat artes would be pretty crazy otherwise.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Yeah if you don't have to care about weapon durability then you'd just spam Combat Arts forever. I still used them a lot in the first few battles, because plain Iron weapons are cheap so who cares, but when you're using stuff like Killer/Brave/whatever weapons that are rare/expensive to buy and repair, or in later maps that might be packed with enemies, you've gotta be careful.

edit: also Fog of War might be ok if it's only a rare thing, I dunno how many fights it's in.

Additionally, and not related to any of that, Hard mode is fine, if anyone's still wondering. I'm an idiot and I did just fine in the first real battle (bandits in the ruins). The enemies are all in basic classes when basically your whole squad is still Commoners/Nobles, but they come pretty piecemeal so it's fine. Just keep health topped up and avoid using steel weapons (you'll get doubled more easily) - Linhardt was super clutch with his healing, and hit Faith C in the fight so he got Physic too (btw you can use spells you rank up to straight away in a fight, in case anyone was wondering).

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 26, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The new class system is going to take some getting used to. I'm so stuck in the mindset of level till 20 then promote. That promoting them once they've mastered the current class feels weird.

Archers seem really good though! Bernadetta has early close counter and the bow skills that allow you to snipe from a distance are really good.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Wanted to snipe Mercedes for bleagles but then I'd feel guilty for leaving her bestie annette behind.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
This game has a lot of beagles that I can’t pat and cats that I can’t kick

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I spent a lot of time playing last night and mostly all I did was talk to people and go fishing. goty 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this isn’t the general FE thread but I kinda want to avoid that thread for spoilers so hopefully y’all can help me out.

MarcusSA posted:

Yo am I fuckin stupid or what because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change the perma death mode in FE:Awaking.

Like do I gotta restart the game? I was under the impression you could do it on the fly.

I asked in the switch thread and no one was sure.

I’m terrible and I don’t like when people get ganked over some bullshit.