Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Which of the games in the Street Fighter collection should we be playing? There are so many it’s hard to choose.

Also not recommended to play these games on separate joycons. God my palms hurt. Buying an adapter so I can hook my DualShock up to it.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3

Street Fighter one worth a quick go just to see what its like if you never played it before.

The Switch Pro controller is a little bit better than the joycons but yeah, if you can get an adapter your DualShock will be best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't know how much those adapters are, but for $30 you can get the 8bitdo M30 and have a wireless controller with 6 face buttons and a better D-pad than either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Their DIY boards are awesome. I've been using an actual SNES controller to play Blazing Chrome and Mario Maker.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The map does seem intricately designed. So that's cool and good.

I tried taking some alternative paths aside from this first boss and got wrecked. There's some dude wielding a weird curved cone in the bottom of the same tower. I can avoid him easily enough, but I hardly hurt him, to the point it doesn't seem worth it to plink away at him, when one hit destroys you. The other is some black knight looking guy just down some stairs, on the way to the same tower. I feel like I should be able to beat him because he's really not in a tough area at all, but I can't. He's guarding an item I'd like to get at, but again it's a tough fight and I don't seem to do any damage to him, when two hits is enough to off me. The knight seems harder if only because he moves far faster. My other plan is to just get him to chase me and then to steal the thing he was guarding, but at some point I need to actually fight things.
Not sure if you want any advice or not, but if you want a tip for fighting strong humanoid enemies like black knights or Havel (the guy in the tower wielding a dragon's tooth), try this:

It's a really good idea to learn to parry or backstab them. I find parry+riposte to be one of the most satisfying things to pull off in Dark Souls. You can parry with your bare hand, which is useful if you don't have a small shield or parrying dagger yet.

To parry, watch the opponent's arm and hit parry right as they start to swing. The regular guys in Undead Burg are good to practice on, since their attacks are very telegraphed.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Any recommendations on a better kickstand? Would be nice to use the the thing on long train rides or around the house. Being able to charge while on a table would be a plus.
The OP has this big Hori thing as an example. Is that still the go-to?

Anyone try this official thing out?
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Adjustable-Charging-Stand/dp/B07D12JGBB

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 26, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Any recommendations on a better kickstand? Would be nice to use the the thing on long train rides or around the house. Being able to charge while on a table would be a plus.
The OP has this big Hori thing as an example. Is that still the go-to?

Tablet Stand Adjustable, Lamicall Tablet Holder Dock for Desk Kitchen, Compatible with iPad Pro 9.7, 10.5, Mini Air, Samsung Tab, Kindle Fire, E-Reader, Foldable Portable Nintendo Switch Playstand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0A7EAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JPVoDbRK0N6ZG

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Looking for a fun LAN co-op drop-in game

Friend brought over Ultimate Alliance, which was super fun. So getting the vouchers for that and something else

Donkey Kong maybe a bit too hard?
Have New Super Mario Bro’s
Have Hyrule Warriors
Have Mario Kart

Had Kirby Star Allies though didn’t play it much? I think they patched in a bunch of free DLC? I remember it being a fun party game

Not a fan of this Mario party

Yoshi’s Crafted world maybe? Or Kirby?

Buy BROFORCE today, friend

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Tablet Stand Adjustable, Lamicall Tablet Holder Dock for Desk Kitchen, Compatible with iPad Pro 9.7, 10.5, Mini Air, Samsung Tab, Kindle Fire, E-Reader, Foldable Portable Nintendo Switch Playstand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0A7EAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JPVoDbRK0N6ZG

Looks cool. Thanks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve had this for a long while now and it rules.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/WormsTeam17/status/1154413001065340931

New update for Worms WMD with a new theme and poo poo.

:ohdear:

I'm starting to get Steam syndrome on the Switch. I popped into the eshop to see if there was a discount in NA as well on the game, and it says "PURCHASED". I dont remember doing that or even playing it.

There are too many drat games on the Switch, Reggie Bowser

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Nintendo UK website is reporting that Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 BFG Edition are all coming to the eShop today.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Not sure if you want any advice or not, but if you want a tip for fighting strong humanoid enemies like black knights or Havel (the guy in the tower wielding a dragon's tooth), try this:

It's a really good idea to learn to parry or backstab them. I find parry+riposte to be one of the most satisfying things to pull off in Dark Souls. You can parry with your bare hand, which is useful if you don't have a small shield or parrying dagger yet.

To parry, watch the opponent's arm and hit parry right as they start to swing. The regular guys in Undead Burg are good to practice on, since their attacks are very telegraphed.

Advice is welcomed. I'll try to practice this. I decided to go with a warrior for a pretty much only melee build. I'm enjoying using a spear, but I may try out a straight sword. I'm hoping there are fists in the game and that they're ok. I love punching things to death in games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Kins posted:

The Nintendo UK website is reporting that Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 BFG Edition are all coming to Nintendo Switch today.

What. WHAT

HOLY poo poo.

I've been pestering Bethesda on Twitter about Doom 1 and 2 and the fact that they could re-release the OG XBOX Doom 3 that includes all of them on Switch, so I'd like to take personal credit for this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Kins posted:

The Nintendo UK website is reporting that Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 BFG Edition are all coming to Nintendo Switch today.

One of my hotter gaming takes is that Doom 3 aged better than HL2 and is actually good.

The versions of 1 and 2 that came with BFG on the 360 are basically the best way to play unmolested Doom on a console in widescreen. They're very good.

I'd probably buy these.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If the price is right I'm all over that poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kins posted:

The Nintendo UK website is reporting that Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 BFG Edition are all coming to the eShop today.

Oh my god

OH MY GOD

YESSSSSSS

The release of Android for the Switch is happening in the next few days and I was, no joke, planning on loading up DosBox for Android and playing some Ultimate DOOM but I will gladly pay for this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I paid $12 for it new in box on the 360 last year. Came with a classic Doom poster! I do not expect that for the Switch version.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Advice is welcomed. I'll try to practice this. I decided to go with a warrior for a pretty much only melee build. I'm enjoying using a spear, but I may try out a straight sword. I'm hoping there are fists in the game and that they're ok. I love punching things to death in games.

fists are unfortunately mediocre in das 1 iirc but they're really good in 2 which better get a port soon fromsoft!

if you're having trouble getting the timing down for parries, backstabs are much easier to pull off imo and the window is pretty generous

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was not expecting a full chapter once I got the point of no return endgame warning in DQB2. Much less the weirdness I'm experiencing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I was not expecting a full chapter once I got the point of no return endgame warning in DQB2. Much less the weirdness I'm experiencing.

It's a really great chapter.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Doomguy 4 Smash confirmed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Devolver continues to be one of the most reliably great publishers out there. Go tweet your ideas at them, but at this point, I dont see how Hotline Miami can lose

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1154563127213723649

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Judging by the UK prices it'll probably be five bucks for Doom 1 and 2 and :10bux: for Doom 3.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you click on those links the prices show up for a split second, Doom 1/2 at £4 each and Doom 3 at £7 so probably gonna be the same in dollars or like $5/10 at most. Pretty good prices

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Devolver continues to be one of the most reliably great publishers out there. Go tweet your ideas at them, but at this point, I dont see how Hotline Miami can lose

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1154563127213723649

Hotline Miami without a mouse seems like it would be bad.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Looper posted:

fists are unfortunately mediocre in das 1 iirc but they're really good in 2 which better get a port soon fromsoft!

if you're having trouble getting the timing down for parries, backstabs are much easier to pull off imo and the window is pretty generous

I'm going to seriously practice parrying among other things. But you make it sound like a backstab isn't just attacking someone when they're back is turned towards you. Is there something more specific to do? Like I said this game is fun but it's loving opaque.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's a really great chapter.

Yeah, everyone constantly talking poo poo on the Buggy Buggy is really great. Also not having to go dig up 10 billion marble.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm going to seriously practice parrying among other things. But you make it sound like a backstab isn't just attacking someone when they're back is turned towards you. Is there something more specific to do? Like I said this game is fun but it's loving opaque.

A backstab has a unique animation and does more damage than a normal attack. You'll know when you get it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Parries are a fun optional mechanic that will get you killed more than they help you your first time through with the exception of the very last boss .

The advice that would have helped me in DS1 is that upgrading your weapon is very very important, and keep the amount of weight you carry at half or less than the max weight you can carry (this changes how you roll and rolling is the most important mechanic in the game).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Very curious whether Doom 3, which they're not calling BFG Edition, includes the (optional) BFG Edition enhancements - better assets, less-insanely-dark lighting, and the flashlight being usable with a weapon out. Those were all good changes, IMO. It also ran at 60 fps.

Would be extremely weird if it was a Switch-specific port of the original Doom 3, especially considering the existence of the ShieldTV version of BFG Edition.

Could just be they didn't call it BFG Edition because it doesn't include the first two.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 26, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

It was fine on Vita. I didnt like it on PS4 because the touchpad was too small. I'd imagine it would be even better on Switch than Vita since its screen is bigger

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

you'll get a special animation for a successful backstab, similar to a successful riposte, and it'll do way more damage than just swinging your weapon at someone's back. i do think you need to be not pushing the control stick in any direction when you make the attack, or something unintuitive like that

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pushing the control stick is fine, but you can't be holding up your shield when you go for the backstab. This throws off new players since they often circle around an enemy while guarding

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheScott2K posted:

I played it on PC with a 360 controller and had no problems

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Very curious whether Doom 3, which they're not calling BFG Edition, includes the (optional) BFG Edition enhancements - better assets, less-insanely-dark lighting, and the flashlight being usable with a weapon out. Those were all good changes, IMO.
The store page mentions the "Lost Mission" level set that BFG Edition added, so it's probably based on that.

...and the store pages have been taken down. Too late, she cried!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish they could port the real Doom 3, Doom 64. Doom 3 is in actuality the real Doom 4

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

TheScott2K posted:

I paid $12 for it new in box on the 360 last year. Came with a classic Doom poster! I do not expect that for the Switch version.

According to Nintendo's site Doom 2 will support 'Local Multiplayer' in both co op and deathmatch. I can't find any indication on whether this implies networked or splitscreen however, there seems to be no distinction between the two in the Details. Any ideas based on the other versions?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I wish they could port the real Doom 3, Doom 64. Doom 3 is in actuality the real Doom 4

Doom 3 is, like, Doom: Origins

Doom 64 with updated controls/resolution would be awesome. I have the PC mod that puts it in gzdoom and it holds up.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait they got taken down, why? i have money nintendo, real money for these right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doom 64 is cool