Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Instantly preordered. drat you criterion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Awe yeah good shout, this is smart.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress it. Ordered.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

gey muckle mowser posted:

a couple coffin-shaped box sets

"Tombs of the Blind Dead" I'm guessing? Which other coffin shaped set is there?

If Criterion did more weird packaging or alternate packaging, it would probably be a license to print money for them. It would also infuriate a lot of people but that's fine by me.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Dark Shadows :drac:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I love weird funky packaging just so long as it's relevant to the movie without being a bulky mess. The book of the dead version of Evil Dead from Anchor Bay was great. The limited edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre restoration from a couple of years ago that came inside a miniature 18 wheeler was not.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

InfiniteZero posted:

Yep, and the Universal Monsters set

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1154470990681763840?s=20

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hooray, more queer representation in the catalogue!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hooray, more queer representation in the catalogue!

I never knew the G in LGBT stood for Godzilla

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I forget where, but someone got confirmation from Criterion of the packaging size and it's something like 10x14"

While I'm not a Godzilla fan just because I haven't seen any of the films yet besides the original, this looks like a lot of fun. Definitely picking up in either the October flash sale (if eligible) or B&N November (if they're not strip mined).

It's amusing reading the online comments, though. Lots of excited fans, but plenty of "WHY AREN'T THEY INCLUDING _____" poo poo and the usual snobs. How soon people forget that Criterion has always been into releasing monster movies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

I forget where, but someone got confirmation from Criterion of the packaging size and it's something like 10x14"

While I'm not a Godzilla fan just because I haven't seen any of the films yet besides the original, this looks like a lot of fun. Definitely picking up in either the October flash sale (if eligible) or B&N November (if they're not strip mined).

It's amusing reading the online comments, though. Lots of excited fans, but plenty of "WHY AREN'T THEY INCLUDING _____" poo poo and the usual snobs. How soon people forget that Criterion has always been into releasing monster movies.

I've pointed this out before, but when people get persnickety about a film Criterion is releasing, I remind them that the last laserdisc they released was Armageddon by Micheal Bay.

And I don't understand the importance people are putting on spine numbers. Like, I saw some people complaining it wasn't the Elephant Man. Like, if Elephant Man got spine 1032, would it make it a lesser release? They didn't wait 20 years to get to spine 1984 to release 1984. They just released it on spine 984.

Wait...

It all makes sense now!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If people are gonna complain about Criterion's release choices, what's the point of complaining about anything other than how few animated movies they've done?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope this Godzilla box set is so successful that it somehow untangles the licensing messes around the rest of the movies and we get those too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've pointed this out before, but when people get persnickety about a film Criterion is releasing, I remind them that the last laserdisc they released was Armageddon by Micheal Bay.

And I don't understand the importance people are putting on spine numbers. Like, I saw some people complaining it wasn't the Elephant Man. Like, if Elephant Man got spine 1032, would it make it a lesser release? They didn't wait 20 years to get to spine 1984 to release 1984. They just released it on spine 984.

Wait...

It all makes sense now!

1984 is just good timing since Twilight Time's license ran out and it's a good time to reissue it. Just like they've recently put out Being There, Panique, and A Face in the Crowd in light of recent things. (For that matter, I'd love to see them get Roger Corman's The Intruder).

Regardless of merits, the Godzilla set is going to be a massive seller.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I hope this Godzilla box set is so successful that it somehow untangles the licensing messes around the rest of the movies and we get those too.

What I really want to know is if they plan on doing physical releases for Rodan and War of the Gargantuas. Rodan’s been out of print on dvd for ages and I’m sure War is as well. I’d kill to have even an Eclipse set with those two and some other Toho monster flick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Godzilla vs Bambi isn't a special feature, I'm throwing my Godzilla box set in the trash.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Great news.

Also, an excellent decision to include Godzilla's famous highland fling on the cover art for Invasion of Astro-Monster https://www.criterion.com/films/29344-invasion-of-astro-monster

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
They could always go back and replace #597 with something better.

Tiny Furniture

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah if we're going to complain about stuff that doesn't "deserve" the Criterion treatment then I'd go after crap like Personal Shopper long before I'd even consider stuff with some mainstream crossover appeal like these Godzilla movies.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love Eating Raoul, but I always use it as the defense against "why would they release [movie they could get the rights to]"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Showa movies had by far the most complicated licensing landscape. Outside of G'84 and Biollante, Sony has the stateside rights to everything up until 2004. The simple fact is that most of the movies after 1975 were 1) not as relevant to cinematic history; and 2) got fairly decent-quality releases at the time with (outside of Return of Godzilla and (kinda) Godzilla 2000) minimal stateside editing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Toho's Showa kaiju movies really are one of those examples of a time when a studio had a lot of good creative people and a commercially successful formula, but also allowed enough freedom within that formula for genuinely interesting stuff to happen. So the Showa Godzilla movies are really a good selection in that respect- the 70s movies are a bit outside that period because Toho (and the entire Japanese film industry) were hurting financially and didn't have the resources to do what they used to, but whatever, they're still good to have. The point is, this is honestly kinda giving that run of films the appreciation it deserves, because critics talking about Japanese film tend to at most mention the first Godzilla and ignore everything else as campy trash.

The Heisei and later films I like, but they don't have that same significance. Maybe Shin Godzilla but I doubt Funimation's giving that up anytime soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just don’t get the debate around any films deserving or not deserving to be in the collection. It’s not the National Film Registry or a Golden Record for movies, it’s a company that pumps out well done editions of both lesser known and mainstream films with special care that they wouldn’t normally get in other basic releases. There’s dozens of b and z-grade genre stuff that I’d kill to have Criterion-level releases of.

Not to mention that every “mainstream” release that sells like gangbusters helps to keep the brand afloat so they can release far more obscure stuff.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I think having Godzilla for #1000 is a great choice. Criterion looks for important classic and contemporary films and while they aren't French New Wave or Wes Anderson, to deny the big G a spot in film history to deny film itself. He is likely the gateway character for a lot of people to see Japanese cinema and to have all his Showa films in one place as intended for everyone to see for the first time is a tremendous accomplishment.

Besides, #100 was the Beastie Boys. If they can get a milestone release, so can silly monster movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Yeah if we're going to complain about stuff that doesn't "deserve" the Criterion treatment then I'd go after crap like Personal Shopper long before I'd even consider stuff with some mainstream crossover appeal like these Godzilla movies.

I agree about Personal Shopper, I really didn't get why that was selected. It's a decent movie and a very good lead performance but a whole bunch of movies on that level come out ever year. What makes it so special? I guess it did win a big award at Cannes, but if they were gonna put something out from 2016 I'd rather they've done The Handmaiden or even Kubo and the Two Strings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I know that they've recently decided that it's OK to do animated movies, so I'd like to see them do a anime.

C'mon, nobody else is going to put Angel's Egg on bluray! Do it, you cowards!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I know that they've recently decided that it's OK to do animated movies, so I'd like to see them do a anime.

they released Akira a long time ago on laserdisc, it would be great to get a re-release of that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do they ever remaster? Or is the Beastie Boys set stuck on DVD forever? I loved that set.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I agree about Personal Shopper, I really didn't get why that was selected. It's a decent movie and a very good lead performance but a whole bunch of movies on that level come out ever year. What makes it so special? I guess it did win a big award at Cannes, but if they were gonna put something out from 2016 I'd rather they've done The Handmaiden or even Kubo and the Two Strings.

At that point Criterion already had like 4 or 5 Olivier Assayas movies in the collection and they've continued to add more, he's a filmmaker they like working with.

Also Personal Shopper is great.

Island Nation posted:

I think having Godzilla for #1000 is a great choice. Criterion looks for important classic and contemporary films and while they aren't French New Wave or Wes Anderson, to deny the big G a spot in film history to deny film itself.

The worst Godzilla movie is better than the best Wes Anderson movie

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

SPICY

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I should probably amend it to “best Japanese Godzilla movie” so someone doesn’t try to come back at me with Godzilla ‘98

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I know a perfect anime film for spine 5555.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At that point Criterion already had like 4 or 5 Olivier Assayas movies in the collection and they've continued to add more, he's a filmmaker they like working with.

Yea I guess I can't really complain about their director preferences because I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan and I'm extremely glad that they've worked with him so many times but I could see someone who doesn't like Anderson getting aggravated with that.

Really Criterion should just ask me what I want them to put out and I'd be happy to provide them a list.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Do they ever remaster? Or is the Beastie Boys set stuck on DVD forever? I loved that set.

they do put out blu-ray upgrades of older titles fairly frequently, depends on what they still have the rights to though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I read somewhere that Anderson throws a ton of money at Criterion so love him or hate him he's pretty important to the company beyond his films.

edit: I meant beyond, not behind.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 26, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The hottest take of 2008

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I read somewhere that Anderson throws a ton of money at Criterion so love him or hate him he's pretty important to the company behind his films.

Do we know criterion’s all time best selling disc? Wouldn’t be surprised if Royal Tenenbaums and maybe Life Aquatic are up there

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do we know criterion’s all time best selling disc? Wouldn’t be surprised if Royal Tenenbaums and maybe Life Aquatic are up there

I remember Dr. Strangelove was actually selling out at a lot of places and I don't remember that happening with too many Criterion releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I remember Dr. Strangelove was actually selling out at a lot of places and I don't remember that happening with too many Criterion releases.

See i'd be surprised if it was anything that came out in the 2010s just because the home video market in general had such a downturn. Life Aquatic came to mind because if i'm remembering right, that was the first Wes Anderson one where the ONLY dvd was the Criterion version (maybe that was Royal Tenenbaums though?) and i feel like it was kind of a big deal