Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Neko rig looks pretty good, I might have to try that since I have had good luck with the wacky rig already.

Can someone explain the difference between a ned rig and a shaky head rig?

Oh boy, a chance to nerd out about jig styles!

Ned rigs are Midwest Finesse (AKA mushroom head) jigs. There doesn't seem to be much variation to the shape from different manufacturers, and they're designed to fall slowly and sit perfectly upside down on the bottom. They're designed to use buoyant senkos in the 3" range and there doesn't seem to be much variation in that. Here's the mold that I use.And I'll be sending you a set when I mail out round 2 of your stuff. Also, the creator of the Ned rig hates that it's named after him and would prefer that people say Midwest Finesse instead. But that is four syllables instead of two, and who has the time?

Shaky rigs seem to have a lot of variation in their design depending on manufacturer: some are perfectly round, some have flat parts, some are nearly mushroom shaped, some are almost like football heads. The thing they seem to have in common is the hook sits at an angle on the bottom. I haven't fished them myself so I can't speak to the plastics that you'd want to use, but I'm pretty sure the shaky head could be a bit more versatile. Here's an example of a roundhead shaky jig, and here's an example of a finesse style shaky jig. I don't have either of those yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Generally a finesse worm is uses on a shakey head. And both are similar techniques, just different sizes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanna go morning fishing again so bad

Yesterday went so good

I wanna catch me a bass next time

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So they're essentially the same thing, just a bit different action.

I. M. Gei posted:

I wanna catch me a bass next time

bass are the best

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

So they're essentially the same thing, just a bit different action.

Different enough to use different hooks, but it's not like the difference between a Texas rig and a topwater plug or something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ghostnuke posted:

bass are the best

Bass suck

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I guess I should've clarified, freshwater fish. Of course all you ocean assholes will chime in with your fancy fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ghostnuke posted:

I guess I should've clarified, freshwater fish. Of course all you ocean assholes will chime in with your fancy fish.

Lingcod rule.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just checked 3 other fishing guide services in my area and all 3 of them charge $300+ for a half-day trip. One of them charges $450 but that one specializes in alligator gar.

I think every fishing guide in this whole region is overpriced.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I just checked 3 other fishing guide services in my area and all 3 of them charge $300+ for a half-day trip. One of them charges $450 but that one specializes in alligator gar.

Did you ask if they'd still take your money if they broke your gear and sent you home without catching any fish? Because my rate for breaking your gear and not putting you on bass is only $250, please consider my services.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What region are you in?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Did you ask if they'd still take your money if they broke your gear and sent you home without catching any fish? Because my rate for breaking your gear and not putting you on bass is only $250, please consider my services.

Oh yea, well for $50 I will let you stand on shore while I fish with your gear in my kayak and let you watch helplessly while I break it. I also will not catch anything

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Backpage but for fishing. Literal and figurative catfishing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Eh. A tad high, but not that far out of line. Ask what their policy is if you skunk and can they teach fundamentals and bank fishing tips.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enigma posted:

What region are you in?

East Texas, right near several pro bass fishing hotspots.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
For just a hundred dollars I will stand on the shore with you, drink beer, and critique your casting. Any fish or pond weeds you catch will be rolled in masala and fried with onions, regardless of species. I will break any fishing rods you have under warranty, and if we don't catch any fish I'll pop into 99 Ranch and get you one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Real talk 99 ranch has a great sea food department and will cook most of it on site.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations/ideas for somewhat affordable 3-4 day fishing trips? Gonna see if my cousins want to go somewhere this winter. Ideally somewhere fairly warm (60s-70s), doesn't need to be tropical though. Freshwater or ocean, whatever. Southern US or Mexico maybe? My one cousin is bilingual if that opens any options.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Northern east texas or southern east texas? Most of my early experiences (I moved from dfw to florida at 18) in fishing were on the lakes along I-20/I-30 heading from dfw to east texas. Off the top of my head, I've fished or been with people fishing on joe pool lake, lake arlington, lake fork, lake monticello, lake bob sandlin, lake o' the pines, perky/brandy branch, lake tawakoni and caddo lake. Probably a few I'm missing.

Edit: If I had to guess, your description puts you near toledo bend and sam rayburn?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 26, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

prom candy posted:

Any recommendations/ideas for somewhat affordable 3-4 day fishing trips? Gonna see if my cousins want to go somewhere this winter. Ideally somewhere fairly warm (60s-70s), doesn't need to be tropical though. Freshwater or ocean, whatever. Southern US or Mexico maybe? My one cousin is bilingual if that opens any options.

Think outside the box, arnesens rocky point resort in mid-late December to witness the largest ice fishing operation in the world! Fly to Minneapolis and then it’s a short ~six hour drive north to lake of the woods.

It might miss your temperature range by 70-80 degrees, but the fish houses can easily be kept at 70+ degrees if you crank the propane heaters :).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I want to get away from ice!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

prom candy posted:

It may be crowded, but Belize is typically reasonably cheap to get to, has amazing fishing, everyone speaks english, and the government locks the currency at 2:1 BZE:USD, so everyone accepts US cash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

Just go to the Sabine, if you can't catch a bass there then... idk man. That was some of the best bass fishing I've ever done and I grew up on the Mississippi delta swamps.

Unperson_47 posted:

Backpage but for fishing. Literal and figurative catfishing.

lmao

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

gamera009 posted:

It may be crowded, but Belize is typically reasonably cheap to get to, has amazing fishing, everyone speaks english, and the government locks the currency at 2:1 BZE:USD, so everyone accepts US cash.

Oh I've heard Belize is great, never would've thought of it for fishing though

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Simcoe ice is fun

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Holy drat did I have a good morning today!

Caught me a 15” catfish...

... a 10” crappie (pretty sure it’s the bigger one in this photo; somebody at the dock gave me the other one and I didn’t think to measure it)...

... and my FIRST EVER BASS, a 17-incher that I’m prepping for a trophy mount because it’s my first one and I’m proud of it, even though I’m not 100% sure what species it is.

This motherfucker put up one hell of a fight! I think it might’ve been a fish genius or something because it actually wrapped itself around an underwater light fixture while I was reeling it in, thereby hanging my line and making it almost impossible for me to finish landing it. Its brilliant plan might’ve worked, too, if only it could’ve freed itself from my hook. I ended up getting help from several people at the dock, including one guy in a motorboat and his son, to finally unsnag my line and bring this bad boy in.

I caught it using a combination of a plastic swim jig and a live minnow.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 26, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nice White Bass!

You're gonna eat those crappie, right? They're delicious.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nice White Bass!

You're gonna eat those crappie, right? They're delicious.

I sure am! Just as soon as I find out the best way to filet them because I suck at filleting fish and don’t want to lose any of that delicious meat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I. M. Gei posted:

I sure am! Just as soon as I find out the best way to filet them because I suck at filleting fish and don’t want to lose any of that delicious meat.

Nah man, just scale them, nip the head and guts out, fry them whole. Picking cooked meat off of bones is way easier then filleting fiddly crappies. Also, CRISPY FINS. Crispy fish fins are the crackling of fish.

https://youtu.be/VfSheKqDRQ4

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nah man, just scale them, nip the head and guts out, fry them whole. Picking cooked meat off of bones is way easier then filleting fiddly crappies. Also, CRISPY FINS. Crispy fish fins are the crackling of fish.
They're called panfish for a reason!
Now this is an interesting human specimen.

DoctaFun posted:

Think outside the box, arnesens rocky point resort in mid-late December to witness the largest ice fishing operation in the world! Fly to Minneapolis and then it’s a short ~six hour drive north to lake of the woods.

It might miss your temperature range by 70-80 degrees, but the fish houses can easily be kept at 70+ degrees if you crank the propane heaters :).

This sounds really loving fun. Also your boat is rad and you catch really nice fish!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Now this is an interesting human specimen.

Yeah, but I found his instructions to be the clearest when I was doing it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah you may be able to lift the whole back bone out after it cooks.

Nice catch man.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, but I found his instructions to be the clearest when I was doing it.

Oh most definitely! Dude is Paul Prudhomme crossed with a retired southern semi-pro wrestler and I loving love him.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Trophy mounting fish kind of sucks. I dunno I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I definitely am killing some fish doing mainly c&r but I feel like you should either be eating a fish or doing what you can to keep it alive. If you catch a real trophy fish you can get replicas made with measurements and photos.

Someone can feel free to tell me I'm wrong and dumb here.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

if I ever catch a monster, I'll take a bunch of pics and then give it a hug and let it go. after it swims away it'll turn back and wink at me, and I'll know I did the right thing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

Trophy mounting fish kind of sucks. I dunno I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I definitely am killing some fish doing mainly c&r but I feel like you should either be eating a fish or doing what you can to keep it alive. If you catch a real trophy fish you can get replicas made with measurements and photos.

You are right. Take pics and measurements and have a fiberglass replica made. They look better and the real fish gets to grow bigger.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m going to buy a blank of my favorite fish and paint it myself someday.

I recall seeing them for $300 or so unpainted years ago.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

prom candy posted:

I'm with you 100%.

I think mounting animals is kind of dumb to begin with but a lot of that has to do with the fact I'm too lazy to dust and those things seem like dust magnets - unless you can put them in a display case or something.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 26, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Either eat it, feed it to another fish, or do your damndest to release it safely. Keeping a fish just as a trophy is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Don't kill fish, just make them late for something.