Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

dantheman650 posted:

Just beat the game. I still have Nameless King, Friede, and the whole Ringed City DLC to go. Final boss was cool but definitely on the easy side. Don’t know if I have the patience for NK with that stupid first phase fight against the camera though.

PS: how can you dodge Friede’s invisible grab attack in phase one?

In addition to the sound of her landing/crashing into objects, the snow she kicks up when she leaps also tells you what general direction she went. One of those directions is straight over and behind you, so watch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I pretty much just listen for the direction of sound of her whooshing through the air, to be honest. I don't pay any attention to the sound of her landing. Maybe it's better so you can get moving faster or maybe that's just me.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tagichatn posted:

Midir is kicking the poo poo out of me. I'm even doing worse when I add phantoms into the mix.

Midir is bullshit. I brought 1 phantom and they were kind enough to kite him around the arena while I swung away. It wasn't fun or skillful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Midir is bullshit. I brought 1 phantom and they were kind enough to kite him around the arena while I swung away. It wasn't fun or skillful.
If this is how you're going to fight midir of course it's not going to be fun, and also just skip the fight at that point, you don't gain anything but possible satisfaction out of it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Running past stuff works really really well and it should probably, in general, work at least a bit less well

agreed, but if you lean on it too much it isn't long before some boss or other makes you wish you levelled more

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Souls games in general are pretty good about this. Theres tangible benefit to fighting stuff but just booking it is a valid strategy because nobody wants to fight the same fodder over and over if you fail.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Souls games in general are pretty good about this. Theres tangible benefit to fighting stuff but just booking it is a valid strategy because nobody wants to fight the same fodder over and over if you fail.
My strategy, if it can be considered one, is basically fight enemies until I can solidly beat them, then just commit to either running through or one shotting as I get to the boss. If an enemy type's hard, but I know I can beat them regularly, I'm just gunna book it. Especially if it's got a lot of health or only limited windows that I can punish.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

new kind of cat posted:

Can’t decide if Crystal Sages is the worst boss, or Oceiros. Hm.

if you don't cheese them with the ladder, it's those two crocomire-wolves in the basement of anor londo that guard the dead fat guy covenant

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you don't cheese them with the ladder, it's those two crocomire-wolves in the basement of anor londo that guard the dead fat guy covenant

You can fight them one on one if you hug the walls to each of their sides

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You don’t even need to hug the wall, just pay close attention to the one nearer the ladder (left side) and immediately retreat once you aggro him.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ok, I finally beat Midir. He's a huge rear end in a top hat. I ended up farming up to buy a lothric knight greatsword and maxing it out because it has lightning damage and can be buffed with even more lightning from resin. Even with that, I was only getting close but not sealing the deal. Eventually, I figured I'd give a phantom a shot and got an insane dude. He did some self-flagellate spell and brought himself down to barely any health but ended up doing crazy damage and never got hit. Slave knight Gael was really easy in comparison, even once he hit phase 2. After that, I went and finished up soul of cinder who turned out to be super easy with the lightning buffed lothric knight GS.

So yeah, I did it, I beat Dark Souls 3! I'm not sure if I'll stick with the new NG+ or start a new character with a different build. I really want to try pyro but there's so many hard bosses that are flame resistant. Pretty much all the ones I got stuck on like Midir, Cinder, old demon king and abyss watchers. Plus I'd have to quickly get to Ringed City to get the best set, desert pyromancer.

Also I liked Ariendel but Ringed City was just much better all around. Aside from Midir, I liked the bosses and it has some really cool weapons. Paired greatswords just looks awesome but I went with the ringed knight spear for most of the time. I was disappointed that spears were so nerfed in DS3 but the ringed spear is actually pretty decent and it gets the fire buff (I think?) with the weapon art.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's plenty of Dark Pyromancy to make it super viable, and of course you can always hit things with a Raw weapon you enchant (or not).

And Dark other spells too, since you'll have the stats.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

There's plenty of Dark Pyromancy to make it super viable, and of course you can always hit things with a Raw weapon you enchant (or not).

And Dark other spells too, since you'll have the stats.

Oh, thanks for the tip. I thought it was all fire, all the time but it's nice to know you have options. My new character mission is to get to dreg heap as early as possible so I can nab the desert pyromancer set and play the rest of the game in style.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tagichatn posted:

Ok, I finally beat Midir. He's a huge rear end in a top hat. I ended up farming up to buy a lothric knight greatsword and maxing it out because it has lightning damage and can be buffed with even more lightning from resin. Even with that, I was only getting close but not sealing the deal. Eventually, I figured I'd give a phantom a shot and got an insane dude. He did some self-flagellate spell and brought himself down to barely any health but ended up doing crazy damage and never got hit. Slave knight Gael was really easy in comparison, even once he hit phase 2. After that, I went and finished up soul of cinder who turned out to be super easy with the lightning buffed lothric knight GS.

So yeah, I did it, I beat Dark Souls 3! I'm not sure if I'll stick with the new NG+ or start a new character with a different build. I really want to try pyro but there's so many hard bosses that are flame resistant. Pretty much all the ones I got stuck on like Midir, Cinder, old demon king and abyss watchers. Plus I'd have to quickly get to Ringed City to get the best set, desert pyromancer.

Also I liked Ariendel but Ringed City was just much better all around. Aside from Midir, I liked the bosses and it has some really cool weapons. Paired greatswords just looks awesome but I went with the ringed knight spear for most of the time. I was disappointed that spears were so nerfed in DS3 but the ringed spear is actually pretty decent and it gets the fire buff (I think?) with the weapon art.

The way to beat Midir is with Pestilent Mist.

If you haven't got it, get yourself a summon that does.

It melts Midir like nothing else.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The way to beat Midir is to stop being a pussy and hit him with your sword.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Midir is boring to fight despite having a lot of cool animations, which sucks a lot. It’s such a slog. Kalameet and even Sinh are much more enjoyable dragon fights.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
I watched the first couple of minutes of a no dodge no sprint no damage midir fight on youtube to learn what others had about his hitboxes and now it's one of the best fights in the game. But you do need to get some form of lightning damage just to take the patience penalty down a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I had played demon's souls before ds3 and I still think he sucks

Same. I was like, oh, hey, this sucks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Midir is boring to fight despite having a lot of cool animations, which sucks a lot. It’s such a slog. Kalameet and even Sinh are much more enjoyable dragon fights.
Why "even" Sinh? Sinh is just a good fight outright. A lot of the same stuff as Kalameet going on except his collision is a lot better so you don't get tangled up in big dumb dragonlegs pushing you around all the time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sinh was also an appropriate size and had a swooping attack that actually works with the DS camera instead of turning it into your enemy.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Arrhythmia posted:

The way to beat Midir is to stop being a pussy and hit him with your sword.

Hey, sure, you go ahead and plink away with your pointy metal stick.
I'll just be over here using the awesome eldritch might of the arcane to reduce him to a bubbling skeleton in a third of the time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Why "even" Sinh? Sinh is just a good fight outright. A lot of the same stuff as Kalameet going on except his collision is a lot better so you don't get tangled up in big dumb dragonlegs pushing you around all the time.

Sinh breaks your weapons which is a poo poo mechanic

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you have three or even two weapons on your bar that is not a problem

and if you don't, what are you even doing

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

Sinh is my favorite dragon fight in the entire souls series. DS2 was super aggressive with weapon degradation anyway; i don't even think i noticed it being any worse with him because the game basically requires you to either keep several weapons on hand or else stock the poo poo out of repair powder. by the time you get to him you've internalized how that game expects you to handle your weapons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s a poo poo mechanic. The fact that there’s workarounds for it does not make it good. There’s nothing interesting or fun about being obliged to swap out your sword mid boss.

Apart from that it’s a fun fight after the style of Kalameet, but that’s a big caveat.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

skasion posted:

It’s a poo poo mechanic. The fact that there’s workarounds for it does not make it good. There’s nothing interesting or fun about being obliged to swap out your sword mid boss.

Apart from that it’s a fun fight after the style of Kalameet, but that’s a big caveat.

it's a dumb mechanic that affects the entire game though. that'd be like complaining "i only have a limited amount of estus flasks i can use when fighting sinh, this sucks!" when the entire game includes the limited estus mechanic.

like if sinh was the only boss in the game that caused your weapons to degrade then i could see holding that against the encounter, but seriously everything in the game eats your durability.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, durability is low across the entire game, but no, that is not what I am complaining about. Sinh specifically degrades durability much faster than other enemies.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Sinh breaks your weapons which is a poo poo mechanic
I've never even noticed sinh do durability damage, and I've never used repair powder or swapped weapons during that fight

e: I also never kept multiple weapons on hand during ds2, the only time I really noticed durability was the start of the game in forest of fallen giants and the tunnel with acid mushrooms in it for some reason

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 25, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Sinh is my favorite dragon fight in the entire souls series. DS2 was super aggressive with weapon degradation anyway; i don't even think i noticed it being any worse with him because the game basically requires you to either keep several weapons on hand or else stock the poo poo out of repair powder. by the time you get to him you've internalized how that game expects you to handle your weapons.

I beat the whole game twice without having to care about that until that boss. And those corrosive mushroom things I guess but you just don't go near them.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

skasion posted:

Yes, durability is low across the entire game, but no, that is not what I am complaining about. Sinh specifically degrades durability much faster than other enemies.

My friend and I were doing a Castlevania whip run, and when we fought him, I pulled out the Old Whip and broke it in like one swing. It was hilarious.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

It took me well into DS3 to retroactively notice that DS2 had durability bars the whole time :downs:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It took me well into DS3 to retroactively notice that DS2 had durability bars the whole time :downs:

if you weren't playing vanilla DS2 at launch you probably wouldn't. IIRC they adjusted weapon durability in several patches (and possibly again in SotFS) so that it wouldn't be so painful. the original release of DS2 had this fun mechanic where any time your weapon struck an object that wasn't an enemy, it'd lose durability. makes sense, kinda, that if you chop at a stone wall all day, your sword gets more blunt. but you know what counted as "not-enemy objects"? enemy corpses! which, when using a larger weapon or fighting an enemy with a larger model, if your final attack that kills it has your weapon animation finish while your weapon is "inside" the body, you're taking durability damage!

it's definitely something that was more traumatic at release than it is now

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you weren't playing vanilla DS2 at launch you probably wouldn't. IIRC they adjusted weapon durability in several patches (and possibly again in SotFS) so that it wouldn't be so painful. the original release of DS2 had this fun mechanic where any time your weapon struck an object that wasn't an enemy, it'd lose durability. makes sense, kinda, that if you chop at a stone wall all day, your sword gets more blunt. but you know what counted as "not-enemy objects"? enemy corpses! which, when using a larger weapon or fighting an enemy with a larger model, if your final attack that kills it has your weapon animation finish while your weapon is "inside" the body, you're taking durability damage!

Oh no, I was there from the start. I just thought the game was designed even worse than it actually was with no quick indicator for your glass swords about to break.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I haven't used a single repair powder or had a weapon break during my DS3 run. Could be that I just die a lot and weapons never have the time to degrade.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Durability is a non-issue in DS3. Everything has enormous amounts of it and is automatically repaired for free every time you rest

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

The object/wall/corpse damage is still there in DS2. They also never fixed the framerate bug that makes durability degrade twice as fast on the PC in any version. That said, it's not a problem if you're resting at bonfires regularly and carry some emergency repair powders, outside of situations like Sinh. Sinh is still a cool fight; you just need to make sure you've got a backup weapon and avoid the extra-fragile ones for a bit.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Wall durability is also in ds3 but as noted does not actually matter due to restpairing

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I finally finished the Ringed City, and thus Dark Souls 3. A great send off for the series, definitely the smoothest game play. I know it's against the entire credo of Dark Souls, but in the end I wish there had been some more exposition about the plot. Then again, I guess it fading to black without much fanfare was thematically appropriate.

Ringed City was really cool. I'm surprised to say Midir didn't prove to be much trouble. Think I died about 6 times, then a read some strategies about him (stay in front of the head! Also use the Wolf Knight's Greatsword, which is actually a pretty sick weapon overall) and he went down easily enough. Gael wasn't bad at all, and what a cool setting for that fight. Also, it was a random but neat throwback to run into Earthen Peak out of nowhere there in the middle.

Overall, 9.5/10 would Dark Souls again. One day. Hopefully.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just started my Dark Souls 3 adventure a few nights ago! I'm playing a very basic sword and board knight, no magic, miracles, etc. I'm seven bosses in, having just killed the giant skeleton lord with the genie bracelets. Favorite fight so far definitely the Abyss Watchers, which in phase 2 were like a cross between Artorius and Lady Maria's second phase from Bloodborne. I also found a grotesque man with a shell on his back and he came to live in my shrine, but then he died. RIP!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Durability is a lovely mechanic in every game it's featured in and I'm glad it's a non-issue in DS3.