Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Why the gently caress can't I pause in this game? In TYOOL 2019, I need to step away from the computer sometimes and I don't want some speedy armadillo rear end in a top hat eating me while I'm taking a leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Bug Squash posted:

Why the gently caress can't I pause in this game? In TYOOL 2019, I need to step away from the computer sometimes and I don't want some speedy armadillo rear end in a top hat eating me while I'm taking a leak.

You dont really need to worry about this unless you decide to take a piss when you're standing by a guarded resource node

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

You dont really need to worry about this unless you decide to take a piss when you're standing by a guarded resource node

Well fine, but still... why? I don't like to leave things running while I'm away, and it's so pointless not to have it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bug Squash posted:

You have concrete, right? Make a box around yourself. Decon the box when you get back.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Bug Squash posted:

Well fine, but still... why? I don't like to leave things running while I'm away, and it's so pointless not to have it.

It's an always online game for whatever reason. I tried loading my game when I didn't have an internet connection and ended up as a new player with no items. Joined once I got connection back and I was back where I should have been.

Just save and quit if you want to pause, but it doesn't really matter in the end.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The only time you really need to pause / exit is in the first hours of the game. Once you get a stable fuel source idling only benefits you, since you should be filling up resource buffers.

I’ve barely explored in my game, just the minimum needed to create an oil pipeline from the east of the first map, and I’ve yet to see a mob around my base aside from the few that spawn around you.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Once you put down any sort of structure, mobs cease spawning in a radius around it. So as long as you're not venturing far away from your base, you should always be safe.

If you're exploring, yeah, either get up on something high or build a box or something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's dumb because sometimes I need to adult while I'm being chased by something that wants to kill me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Grow, my base, grow....

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really should put everything in nice boxes like that.

Kinda wish you could build ladders on the sides of walls or whatever. It is handy that most factory buildings have built-in ladders but come on guys.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Approx. 10 minutes after the discovery of splitter/merger belts, my base has become a twisted madhouse. Time to redesign.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Speedball posted:

I really should put everything in nice boxes like that.

Kinda wish you could build ladders on the sides of walls or whatever. It is handy that most factory buildings have built-in ladders but come on guys.

You know you can climb the side of stackable conveyor holders, right?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ambaire posted:

You know you can climb the side of stackable conveyor holders, right?

Additionally, you can build a conveyor holder while on the ladder. So if you build one, climb on, and point your view upwards a little bit, you can click madly and hold up and build at the same rate you climb. Makes getting to those cliff-top hard drives a lot faster.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Additionally, you can build a conveyor holder while on the ladder. So if you build one, climb on, and point your view upwards a little bit, you can click madly and hold up and build at the same rate you climb. Makes getting to those cliff-top hard drives a lot faster.

I've had some issues with building multiple stackers in the same location using this technique so it might be bugged

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Question: What is the fastest way to build long ramps with foundations?

They don't let you lay them down edge to edge like with the flat foundations. So right now I have to lay down a flat foundation, then stack two more and then go fill in with ramps and deconstruct the flats to preserve concrete (or not)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Joda posted:

I've had some issues with building multiple stackers in the same location using this technique so it might be bugged

They changed the clearances so that shouldn't happen anymore.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I place a flat foundation, then ramp on that, then a flat attached to that, then a ramp on that, repeat. I usually just leave the flats in, takes too long to go remove them from anything big.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
If you're only concerned about walking, just make ramped walkways. The ones in the Logistics tab use iron rods and iron plates and are SO much easier to build and aim. When you consider that they use half the materials and can be spammed, they're hella nice as an option.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I go Ramp > Ramp underneath rotated 180 degrees > Ramp attached to flat side of lower rotated Ramp. Then I go back and delete all the rotated 180 degree ramps.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is going faster now that I have all the basic supplies made and don't have to run back to my first base for them. Up to computers, and going to work on supercomputers next. That huge building to the west is all oil refineries, because all the alternate recipes means I use a lot of rubber:

Also dedicated another pure oil node to gas electricity. Up to 5,250 MW capacity, which I'm hoping will last me until I get nuclear components going, because the base is sitting at 2,500-3000 MW right now...

edit:

August update: base is running real rich (4,000 MWh with a portion of the machinery sitting idle), but I've got 2.8 turbo-motors per minute automated now.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 31, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The lack of ability to easily copy-paste to scale up is really hurting my motivation to move into computer land.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

The lack of ability to easily copy-paste to scale up is really hurting my motivation to move into computer land.

Yeah. Also, at high levels there should just be unlimited inventory or like wormhole storage or whatever. Having to haul supplies across the map several times to set up remote bases or because you forgot something or miscalculated gets old real fast, and it doesn't really pose an interesting automation problem. It just sucks.

The late game in general is just way too grindy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem is the game just doesn't scale like Factorio, performance wise. They need to prevent your expansion from growing exponentially because your computer would grind to a halt.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Joda posted:

Yeah. Also, at high levels there should just be unlimited inventory or like wormhole storage or whatever. Having to haul supplies across the map several times to set up remote bases or because you forgot something or miscalculated gets old real fast, and it doesn't really pose an interesting automation problem. It just sucks.

The late game in general is just way too grindy.

I agree - I think it would be very awkward to have a blueprint system in 3D, but some sort of logistics network equivalent to have resources available to you from wherever would go a long way.

In the Unreleased Content tagged section of the wiki there is a lot of quantum/dark matter related items we have never seen that specifically mention teleportation and dimensional manipulation. I believe we will get something for the end-game headaches with the next major content update.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And if not that update the next one. And if not that update, the next one. And so on

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Giving you guys a heads up on this one... the patch today made a slight change to how splitters work, and while it's mostly good, may give a few people a headache.

Splitters and mergers now have an invisible internal inventory for a few items, which is designed to mitigate a bug where they would lock up when framerates got low. The bad part about this is that every conveyor belt with a splitter or merger in it is going to using its items to 'fill' those inventories, which means each one will suddenly have ten or more free belt slots. Which means that if you're like me and overbuild your supply and let demand determine when your machines turn on or off, you'll probably see a huge power spike when you log in today, as every single machine in your factory turns on. After a few minutes, all the belts will fill back up and your power will be back to normal, but you need sufficient power to run for those few minutes, so...

Personally, I'm drat lucky I set up a huge buffer of spare power with nuclear just last weekend.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bobulus posted:

Personally, I'm drat lucky I set up a huge buffer of spare power with nuclear just last weekend.

How are you liking nuclear? To me it feels like the supply chain for the electromagnetic rods to run nuclear is too complex to rely on. I would be nervous trying to run my whole infrastructure on such a complex supply chain. Feels like any disruption in power/transport/etc will make you go dark and be very difficult to recover from.

Coal/Gas is just so simple it supply and expand capacity on that seems hard to give that up.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Coal is great because a single Miner mk2 can supply a pretty huge number of overclocked coal plants, it's just way easier in general. Nuke power should be a "one and done" endgame thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

How are you liking nuclear? To me it feels like the supply chain for the electromagnetic rods to run nuclear is too complex to rely on. I would be nervous trying to run my whole infrastructure on such a complex supply chain. Feels like any disruption in power/transport/etc will make you go dark and be very difficult to recover from.

Coal/Gas is just so simple it supply and expand capacity on that seems hard to give that up.

I somewhat agree with you. The way I have mine set up, I'm not using any of the alternate recipes for nuclear tech. So I'm running concrete, encased steel beams, and electromagnetic control rods up to the nuclear plans on a train. Harvesting of the uranium and creation of the nuclear fuel rods is done on-site. I've also got it set so that I consume two nuclear fuel rods per five minutes, but produce three. That way, even if the supply chain up to the plants is somehow disrupted, there should be a backup supply of ready rods to keep the current plants going or, in the extreme case, to temporarily get several more plants running on the fly.

Also, since the two sites are only connected power-wise by the train line, all I have to do is disconnect the train station at my base and the the train and the NFR construction (which is less than 100 MWh of power) are completely disconnected from the rest of the grid, so if I had to get NFR construction going again, I could do it with some emergency biofuel generators.

Still, the creation of all that radioactive waste is a pain, and what I'm thinking is that, I'm going to turn my nuclear power plants off until I need them. Right now, they're only running as buffers while my factory chugs away at making all those turbo motors that presumably will be needed for the next tier upgrade. Once I've got an industrial storage container full, my power usage should plummet, and then I'll go back to mainly relying on gas power.

I might also, just for fun, network up all the geothermal plants on the map. I mean, why the hell not, right? Currently, you can't overclock them, but that will presumably eventually change.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There's geothermal plants?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Stick some supercomputers in the analyzer and see what happens.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just got home and checked... my base, as is, normally runs at about 4,000 MWh. This update made it jump to 6,100 MWh for a few minutes. Not crushing, but if you're already running near the limit, you might be in trouble.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Yeah. Currently they're not that great, because it only produces 300 MWh for a fairly expensive list of assembly parts, but once you have it up, it runs forever, so that's nice.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Nukelear v.2 posted:

You could create an isolated power network fueled by gas/coal just for uranium supply.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's a good idea to build a lot more fuel rods than you consume. And fortunately, fuel rods are consumed at such a slow rate that a big box of them will last forever. More than enough time to fix your system.

Unless you've made like two dozen reactors. But if you've got two dozen nuclear reactors and a power spike your system can't handle... what the gently caress have you done.

But I kind of agree with the warning about nuclear power production. I'll look into ways to cut off my non-nuclear production from the power grid, in case something goes horribly wrong. But I feel if the nuclear plants can't provide the power for their own fuel rod production, something must have gone incredibly wrong for hours. As long as I don't leave my game on overnight I'm not worried.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uh, smart splitter? I'm getting wrong items on the belts.

The belt containing mostly control rods and then a few encased beams is set to "everything else" while the belt containing only encased beams is set to encased beams.

Did they change something about the "everything else" rule so it can also accept overflow or such?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yeah. They added a new rule that's "everything else" and the old rule functions the same as if you had put every item in the game on the list individually.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I finally got turbomotors automated

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
When I start setting up automatic power production, the very first thing I do is make a separate power grid for making the fuel.

With coal, it's simple. Miners on the coal nodes. A coal power plant. That power plant connects to the coal miners and nothing else. One of the coal mines feeds to the coal power plant before it goes anywhere else. Then the rest of the coal goes into coal power plants that connect to the grid. Even if the grid overloads, the miners will still have power and will never stop producing.

More complex with oil. But with a little jiggling (and a few temporary biofuel plants to power the oil pumps long enough to get the first batch of crude), one fuel power plant produces the wattage to power the oil pumps and oil refineries that supply the oil power plants. When I need to refine enough crude into fuel to run that out, I connect the second on the same system and it doesn't touch the main grid. Even if the grid overloads, the fuel production will be stable. Got complicated when I switched over to turbofuel, but I managed.

But I confess that it was a stone-cold bitch to do with nuclear. The power requirements to make nuclear fuel rods are SO large that I actually have a regular fuel production line that powers it. And, to make sure THAT stays stable, there is its own dedicated power supply net. So I have a self-powering fuel generator that powers the fuel generators (plural) that power the nuclear plant. It was a COLOSSAL loving headache to plan and build and keep straight, but I felt so accomplished when I finally threw the switch and lit up my base with the light of nuclear fission.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Cobbsprite posted:

When I start setting up automatic power production, the very first thing I do is make a separate power grid for making the fuel.

That seems a bit overly complicated for coal and gas with no real benefit that I can see. You can always just pull excess resources out of a neighboring power plant/miner and split the stacks to fuel your new powerplants. But usually I would just turn off the machine(s) that tripped the circuit, expand power capacity and then go turn them back on.

Nuclear is of course a whole other problem and I think would need that level of production and power disconnect from main production. As pointless as nuclear seems now at least the rods are an apex product that you can actually use. My ever growing stock pile of turbo motors is looking kind of useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm setting up my first oil outpost, about 2km away from my base. I don't have the tech for oil power yet, so I'm wondering how to power it.

Nearest coal is 1k away, so my options are a dedicated truck system for coal, or stretch power lines through 2km of coastline. Which is the least stupid system until I can get that sweet oil power?