Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Now if only we can get instant drop-in valve servers back with the (maybe) rollback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm almost certain there's not going to be a rollback, a lot of money changed hands due to this error, would be an insane pain trying to "fix" it.

At worst I think we'll get a blogpost and Valve will slap a "Counterfeit" prefix on the hats unboxed or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grapplejack posted:

Also you're going to sit here and tell me, with a straight face, that the hat barons aren't making a ton of money off of crate sales during this whole thing? gently caress right off. I bet they did that and are waiting for the reversal since they'd get to keep crate sales income.

You can't sell a crate for $30 unless there's a moron who wants to buy it for $30.

The hat barons were the morons buying the crates, thinking that they could open them and sell the unusual hat inside for >$30.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

It sucks because that describes me, yet I had none of those crates.

I had all these crates but deleted them as well. Dammit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The item servers are down :(

Hopefully I can pawn off this crate when it opens back up before the price craters

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/danekevincook/status/1154803940145242112

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
hwguy voice: I AM VERY HAPPY

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

interesting strategy to make tf2 go out with a bang, valve. let's see how it plays out

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't wait for the Great Hat Crash to be an offical part of the Team Fortress lore and be the key cause for TF3 happening.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
If they don't do a rollback I wonder if they just rethink how TF2 cosmetics function. In DOTA2 you can get the equivalent of unusuals ('immortal' items) with particle effects and unique elements for as low as 50 cents with most not exceeding $10 (there's a few that are hundreds ala high end unusuals). Unusuals for all could revitalize spending in the game.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I missed the boat on this drat, had a crate that i could have sold for $20 earlier but the price crashed to $10 and i held on, and now the item servers are down so it's essentially being fixed and the exploit will be gone once they're back up i'm sure

edit: not sure if true but

I'd be surprised because people will be piiissed after spending real money on keys

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Maybe this will stop all these spammers adding me to try and scam me out of the one valuable tf2 item I have

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no way they do a rollback and there's no way they delete the items. This is an essentially meaningless occurrence unless you're one of the few people who are heavily invested in the item trading market.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

if everyone is unusual then no one is

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm going to have the last #1 crates in the world

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wait didnt the heavy and his family escape from siberian labor camps hed probably hate communism or am i misremembering

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Reiley posted:

I'm going to have the last #1 crates in the world

I didn't pull the trigger so you and me both buddy, maybe they'll be worth more than unusuals now haha

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

American McGay posted:

There's no way they do a rollback and there's no way they delete the items. This is an essentially meaningless occurrence unless you're one of the few people who are heavily invested in the item trading market.

The thing is it cheapens standard cosmetic's value to the people still buying dumb TF2 poo poo. Who wants to bother with lets say a sci-fi hat for $2.50 to $15.00 in keys when you can get a similar hat with glowy fire or magic poo poo popping out of it for the same price? Who's going to spend money open a box now when the market is flooded with tens of thousands of cheaper fancier hats unless they make future hats much fancier.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

The thing is it cheapens standard cosmetic's value to the people still buying dumb TF2 poo poo. Who wants to bother with lets say a sci-fi hat for $2.50 to $15.00 in keys when you can get a similar hat with glowy fire or magic poo poo popping out of it for the same price? Who's going to spend money open a box now when the market is flooded with tens of thousands of cheaper fancier hats unless they make future hats much fancier.

[In Soldier voice] Boys, we have a trader

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

qnqnx posted:

[In Soldier voice] Boys, we have a trader

Personally I love this whole mess, the tf2 trading community was heavily predicated on scamming or nickel/diming back when I actively traded and I hated most of the people I had to deal with. Burn it down.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i hate hat barons but unfortunately a lot of the games longevity is owed to it and this could take a chunk off of the playerbase, even though i think the game really will never die wrt userbase

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

Personally I love this whole mess, the tf2 trading community was heavily predicated on scamming or nickel/diming back when I actively traded and I hated most of the people I had to deal with. Burn it down.
:same:

It was exhausting to deal with when you'd just want something particular, find a trade on a trade site, only to try to get the person trying to squeeze more out of you.

A contributing factor to me never getting back in was feeling like I needed to deal with trading to get my hands on newly added weapons. I just want to play with some new toys and now I gotta jump through a bunch of hoops to auth my account for a trade site, wait for a security period, and... now I'm playing something else.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

If it kills the economy it just gives valve more incentive to work on TF3 so figures crossed it's the death knell

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Valve seem to just work on stuff they are interested in. I think they stopped being interested in tf years ago sadly. I genuinely doubt tf3 will ever be a thing. They are about dota and vr now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just had a thought. How little attention was paid in the making of this tiny nothingburger update to have screwed it up this badly?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's no way valve ever makes tf3

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
wishing for tf2's death because you think they'll somehow stop doing chinese inspired f2p dota poo poo for eternity and make tf3 is a level of optimism not seen since the roaring twenties

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
snark aside, even if tf3 were just a clean boot of tf2 with all the gunk removed or at least some of the rough performance stabilized i'd still play and love that

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ArfJason posted:

snark aside, even if tf3 were just a clean boot of tf2 with all the gunk removed or at least some of the rough performance stabilized i'd still play and love that

I mean TF2 still pulls in 70k concurrent on steam, many games would kill for those numbers. I wonder how many millions it'd cost to outsource a port of TF2 to the most recent stable source engine from a relatively competent dev.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
TF3 just being optimized TF2 with a bunch of new high quality maps would be a-ok in my book. Games barely playable these days without using one of those third party tf2 optimizers

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TF3 would just be a battle royale so thank you lucky stars you still have Badwater Basin.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ArfJason posted:

Wait didnt the heavy and his family escape from siberian labor camps hed probably hate communism or am i misremembering

pretty sure heavy's family still live in the soviet union

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Peanut President posted:

pretty sure heavy's family still live in the soviet union

They lived in hiding and leave together in part 3 of the main comic series.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

https://twitter.com/TeamFortress/status/1154830731333390337

(The next-oldest tweet is from February lol)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ChaseSP posted:

Can't wait for the Great Hat Crash to be an offical part of the Team Fortress lore and be the key cause for TF3 happening.

> Medic loses his shirt in the hat stock market
> Has to flee to another city to escape debt
> Changes his last name to Freeman

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Otacon posted:

(The next-oldest tweet is from February lol)

that's the just a retweet - the next oldest tweet is from March, 2018

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

sure, it's called xbox 360

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paul MaudDib posted:

sure, it's called xbox 360

I'd rather they ported it to a platform I already own, like maybe the PC. Or the Sega Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Team Fortress 2: Halogen - U Got Hat