Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I dunno, I used to use .30 GB per month and following my same habits it's crept up to a GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
With the exception of three months, every bill I've had since December 2015 has been $27 or less including fees and taxes. My average data use is 0.3GB or less/mo and hasn't gone up at all. Turning on the VPN in Fi will increase data usage by about 10% but otherwise I haven't had any issues with the phones using more data over time.

There is an option in developer settings that says "mobile data always active." You could disable that but then your calls will probably screw up if you start a conversation on wifi and leave the area. It should prevent your phone from switching to mobile data when you've got a weak wifi signal though. I had it disabled for about a year just to check data usage compared to 2016 and it made little-to-no impact so I enabled it again but ymmv.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I use 1-3 gb normally mostly forums and non video websites.. I save Snapchat or YouTube and video stuff for home.

I suspect most WiFi is just garbage, I was on vacation and my friends DNS servers were Comcast and we were having all sorts of problems.. It kept falling back on FI, so try fixing those maybe?

At home I use Google or cloudflare DNS 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 9.9.9.9 works too or run a DNS test

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

To be clear, his internet is better than mine, but it was taking forever to resolve website-ip and timing out on stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I think I'm gonna try switching over to Google fi.

What's most important to me is keeping my phone number. Anyone have experience going off Verizon and joining Google fi and still keeping their number?

I'll probably just get one of their cheaper phones. I don't do anything fancy with my phone I just like to get access to the forums and apps like YouTube

Edit: and they confirm that you can port your number before you sign the contract?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 29, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Edit: and they confirm that you can port your number before you sign the contract?

There is no need to confirm. Verizon is a regulated and licensed US carrier and must respond to port out requests or have the wrath of the FCC come raining down on them.

Just DO NOT cancel your Verizon account until the port is complete, and DO feel free to call them and ask what they will need for a port out. They may give you a PIN that Fi will have to use to expedite the process.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also if you use a refferal code you get 20$ off your bill (I do as well) after the first month, my code is ETJ2H7 if you want to use it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ineffiable posted:

So I think I'm gonna try switching over to Google fi.

What's most important to me is keeping my phone number. Anyone have experience going off Verizon and joining Google fi and still keeping their number?

I'll probably just get one of their cheaper phones. I don't do anything fancy with my phone I just like to get access to the forums and apps like YouTube

There was just a few fields I had to fill in when I signed up with a PIN number and something else and I think they even had a pop-up explaining where to find these numbers in your account page on your carrier's site. I never had to contact my carrier and it was done when I activated my new phone. The only problems I've even heard of and almost experienced involved Google Voice accounts and numbers. Overall it was surprisingly easy.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Does cricket cap your streaming bitrate?

Yep. It's terrible. 3 mbps for data and 1.5mbps for streaming video: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/unlimited-data.html

I hear Visible, a Verizon mvno does true unlimited data and no caps: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible-no-speed-cap-unlimited,news-30446.html

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but last year on google's 'birthday' they sold pixels half price. Is this normal? I'd like to buy a pixel 3 at half price to replace my moto g5 plus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

uli2000 posted:

Yep. It's terrible. 3 mbps for data and 1.5mbps for streaming video: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/unlimited-data.html

Yes, unlimited. I don't see speed caps on plans with data caps.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dumb question (don't really know anything about networking) I've always wondered, how do those caps know what to throttle -- inspecting packets for video or just a list of the like top 100 video sites/apps which probably gets 98 percent of traffic?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

redreader posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but last year on google's 'birthday' they sold pixels half price. Is this normal? I'd like to buy a pixel 3 at half price to replace my moto g5 plus.

It's normal for Google to have unannounced sudden and random sales in order to screw over early adopters, yes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rakeris posted:

Also if you use a refferal code you get 20$ off your bill (I do as well) after the first month, my code is if you want to use it.

Thanks for this. I used your code so here's mine for the next person for a referral chain.

Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google fi! 32WHPC

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

American McGay posted:

I've never had an issue with data but maybe I don't use my phone as much as most people.

What app is that?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

fondue posted:

What app is that?

Long press on a home screen and add the Fi widget.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have my dad on my plan (I am the reverse millennial) and we rarely go over two GB.

If I used more than that, though, I would definitely be looking at switching.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Maybe someday the price of a gb of data will go down, right? Right???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Korthal posted:

not until the price of a yacht goes down

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fi is really bad at picking the best carrier. It puts me on T-Mobile constantly even though I barely get a signal. I got the FiSwitch app so that I can manually switch back to Sprint, but what an unnecessary problem.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
When I'm visiting a certain town, it will actively switch me from us cellular, which has full service, to T-Mobile which is literally non-functional there. I don't get it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fi is really bad at picking the best carrier.

Okay, as someone in telecom who does MVNO type things like Fi let me explain this to you: it is great at picking the best carrier. It's just not the best carrier for YOU.

This is all about money.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks, that's the most reasonable explanation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fi is really bad at picking the best carrier. It puts me on T-Mobile constantly even though I barely get a signal. I got the FiSwitch app so that I can manually switch back to Sprint, but what an unnecessary problem.
If an app can query signal strength, and can force the phone to a specific carrier, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to write an app that automatically sets it to one with good signal rather than the one whose bandwidth is cheapest for google. That'd be better than switching manually.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Motronic posted:

Okay, as someone in telecom who does MVNO type things like Fi let me explain this to you: it is great at picking the best carrier. It's just not the best carrier for YOU.

This is all about money.

My pet theory has always been that it permanently prioritizes whoever they have the cheapest roaming agreement with in that area.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If an app can query signal strength, and can force the phone to a specific carrier, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to write an app that automatically sets it to one with good signal rather than the one whose bandwidth is cheapest for google. That'd be better than switching manually.

Not even query signal strength. Just run a thing every ten minutes or so that goes [if carrier == t-mobile, send "switch to us cellular" dialer code]

Supposedly you can switch it to your chosen carrier then disable the Fi app and that stops it from switching, but that always seemed like a nuclear option to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Korthal posted:

google fi is most likely not a big priority for google/alphabet. they have never invested any serious amount of money to try and increase subscriber market share, so unless they do something like that in the future, i am very skeptical they will ever do a base rate cut. they aren't competing against other carriers so there's no need to do traditional competitive moves

the legitimate use cases for Fi are still the person who uses a Fi-compatible phone and fits one of: (a) uses an extremely small amount of cell data, (b) travels a lot internationally during which they need access to their home phone number, or (c) lives in a geographic area where the multi-carrier switching is essential to maintaining coverage. other than that it's just all nerds who think they are superior for using the ~~Googley~~ phone service

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I joined due to a combination of A and C and the novelty has long since worn off

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm B and will drop Fi absolutely as soon as my insane work travel is over.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Javid posted:

I joined due to a combination of A and C and the novelty has long since worn off

I joined due to A. C wasn't a question because I was coming from TMobile and "TMobile has great coverage."

At this point, A doesn't exist anymore even though my habits have not changed at all. This Google auto-switching uses a lot more data when it should be using WiFi, or something else is going on.

And C, lmao, there's been plenty of chat about them putting you on the cheapest network, not the best one.

I think I'm still here because phone calls from my Gmail on my PC is convenient, and because of the Pixel phone discounts. My Pixel 3 was essentially free with the travel voucher deal last year. But even though Pixel 4 is allegedly finally getting enough RAM, I'm not sure I really want to keep buying them. The price is way too high, and even though they're supposed to be gimmicking the camera again, they keep making the phone bigger.

Ultimately I don't think I'm paying more or less than I would be for another carrier. TMobile has a lot of perks, Verizon has The Network - although TMobile is supposed to be rivaling Verizon now?

I have no idea. My phone works and I don't have any major issues. I just don't want to learn how to use Samsung's version of Android and I think that's what's truthfully keeping me here.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I was on "it's cheaper to have five lines with two teenagers" but man now I'm looking at Verizon and feeling the fool. Coverage in the Chicago area has always been fine, though, so the hassle of switching probably isn't worth it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I haven't exactly shopped around much lately but my bill is exponentially cheaper on Fi than I was paying previously. $30/m compared to something like $90/m on AT&T. My usage is pretty bare bones but I can't imagine you could find a comparable no strings $30 a month plan on one of the major telecoms.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AT&T prepaid with auto pay discount:
1 GB/month = $30
8 GB/month = $40

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Where do you find the hidden bootleg deals like that? Cheapest I can find on AT&T front facing store is $50 for 3GB.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm mostly A (on track to do 1gb a month with my data usage) with some B and I live in a major city so coverage is fine and I get plenty of free wifi spots at home.

I feel like I'm not going to save much with another carrier unless I just go hogwild with my data but I do appreciate that Google fi has no contracts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

American McGay posted:

Where do you find the hidden bootleg deals like that? Cheapest I can find on AT&T front facing store is $50 for 3GB.

I Google searched for "AT&T prepaid" and got sent to their prepaid site?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I guess I'm averaging 2.5 GB of data per month for 2019. I realized it's gone up in the summer because I'm streaming music at the lake every weekend.

So that's $45 per month. I'm feeling those 4 gb months more than the 1 gb months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. FAUXTON and I like to send each other pictures of our cats when one of us is working from home and the other is at work and RCS is better for that.

If it rolls out to other carriers we might switch, for all anyone knows Google will shitcan RCS and try to make Allo happen again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't understand how this RCS stuff works. It's just native in the texting app and starts happening if the other person also has RCS? I think I've only seen it happen once. My friends and I had a group MMS going for a while, but the messages started getting so huge that it was crashing people's phones. We moved to WhatsApp, and then Telegram after all of the WhatsApp concerns. I mostly chat with everyone else on Hangouts because everyone is in front of a computer all day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have very low data usage, and basically loving live in the Hangouts integration.

The coverage isn't great, but the price is comparable to what I would pay on a pre-paid plan with another carrier (even with my dad on it, too), and I'd even be willing to pay a small premium just for the relatively seamless integration with the PC. Including my Chromebook while I'm traveling.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I used Fi for a while because I use very little data, plus getting by on referrals was a neat gimmick. But then my referrals ran out and I had to pay actual money for service, and I hopped over to Mint because it was cheaper and I already had good T-Mobile coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

Long press on a home screen and add the Fi widget.

I had no idea that even existed, thanks!