Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's a really dumb system because you don't want to strip all of the armor if you can help it or you lose the +75% damage from Corrosive itself. Ideally, you'd like to strip just enough armor that they still have a sliver of Ferrite as they die.

A +75% damage boost can be offset by 57% DR, which translates to just under 400 armor. For a unit with 100 base ferrite armor at level 1, the break even point is right around lvl 20-21 after which the DR from the armor will more than compensate for the +75 damage boost to ferrite. But until that level, not stripping armor means they will die quicker than if you did strip armor.

But if you go in with 3x CorPro so you have 90% armor strip instead of 100%, then the break even point goes up to 4000 armor - which is well over lvl 165 for a unit that has base 100 armor (a lot of the baseline Grineer units). Even the much heavier armored Corrupted Lancers (lvl 113) and Corrupted Bombards (lvl 67) have high levels for break even.

If you go in with 3x corpro and say a Sarpa to do another 90% armor strip to give an overall 99% armor strip, then you have an effective 40000 armor before you break even. That's not really practical but just emphasizes how not taking all armor off is actually beneficial - which reinforces how dumb that part of the damage system is.

Armor overstripping can cost you a lot of damage unless you're certain that all armor has been stripped and you go into Grineer missions with a flesh based damage type instead of corrosive - which also shows how dumb the whole system is.

The math here is a very oversimplified view since it doesn't factor in corrosive procs doing their own armor strip but also because it assumes that all you have is Corrosive's +75% to boost damage and in reality other base damage boosts will lower the overall contribution of corrosive and those break evens will to shift lower levels, but it still shows how dumb that armor calculation is and how the corpro solution to the problem is even dumber.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

good (?) news! The other best auras are also dash polarity!

Oh yeah I forgot the Speed Holster was a Dash.

escape mechanism posted:

They've also been handing out a lot of free universal aura formas recently, more than there are frames that can use a non-dash aura in fringe situations, so I'm not too worried about the future

I actually didn't know this was a thing. I've only just come back to the game and need to get into Arbies (having left last time just as they dropped). Are they generally pubby friendly or is that just going to lead to pain?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Arbies are one of a handful of things that are truly not pub friendly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eh, you can do a survival arby with pubs with no real problems, unless they start dying left and right in which case bail, but I wouldn't try anything that has a health bar to watch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What are arbys?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oldstench posted:

What are arbys?

Arbitrations. They're a special class of level 100+ endless missions with some added mechanics to (at least theoretically) make them harder. They pay out in Endo, as well as some unique mods. You have to complete every mission on the start map to unlock them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oldstench posted:

What are arbys?

Arbitrations. They're alert-ish endless missions that rotate once an hour and give each player an individual bonus to a frame and a gun. Enemies scale twice as fast and objectives require twice the completion/time per rotation; 2 excav, 10 min survival, etc. They have special drones that link to all nearby enemy mobs and make them immune to damage and abilities. Each rotation gives Vitus Essence, in addition to the normal rewards of each mode, which you can turn in to a Hexis rep in relays to buy certain cosmetics, archwing rivens and the ability to craft amber ayatan stars. Finally Vitus Essence is a required component for each built ephemera.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Also pubbie easy mode for arbys is Nova in Interception, slow the whole room and force the pubbies to win.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Orv posted:

Eh, you can do a survival arby with pubs with no real problems, unless they start dying left and right in which case bail, but I wouldn't try anything that has a health bar to watch.

that's kind of big. Plus they'll forget to bring corpro.

It's basically the only thing other than the open world bosses where pubbies are a significant liability.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I have zero problems believing that it could be a problem but I haven't pubbed an arby yet that was any kind of complete shitshow. Anecdotal obviously and it's like playing Russian roulette with five rounds in but it's not wholly impossible.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

v1ld posted:

It's a really dumb system because you don't want to strip all of the armor if you can help it or you lose the +75% damage from Corrosive itself. Ideally, you'd like to strip just enough armor that they still have a sliver of Ferrite as they die.

A +75% damage boost can be offset by 57% DR, which translates to just under 400 armor. For a unit with 100 base ferrite armor at level 1, the break even point is right around lvl 20-21 after which the DR from the armor will more than compensate for the +75 damage boost to ferrite. But until that level, not stripping armor means they will die quicker than if you did strip armor.

But if you go in with 3x CorPro so you have 90% armor strip instead of 100%, then the break even point goes up to 4000 armor - which is well over lvl 165 for a unit that has base 100 armor (a lot of the baseline Grineer units). Even the much heavier armored Corrupted Lancers (lvl 113) and Corrupted Bombards (lvl 67) have high levels for break even.

If you go in with 3x corpro and say a Sarpa to do another 90% armor strip to give an overall 99% armor strip, then you have an effective 40000 armor before you break even. That's not really practical but just emphasizes how not taking all armor off is actually beneficial - which reinforces how dumb that part of the damage system is.

Armor overstripping can cost you a lot of damage unless you're certain that all armor has been stripped and you go into Grineer missions with a flesh based damage type instead of corrosive - which also shows how dumb the whole system is.

The math here is a very oversimplified view since it doesn't factor in corrosive procs doing their own armor strip but also because it assumes that all you have is Corrosive's +75% to boost damage and in reality other base damage boosts will lower the overall contribution of corrosive and those break evens will to shift lower levels, but it still shows how dumb that armor calculation is and how the corpro solution to the problem is even dumber.

Your point is correct but in addition to its 75% bonus damage vs. ferrite, corrosive damage also ignores 75% of the target's ferrite armour so your numbers are off. There is no bonus for corrosive vs. alloy armour though so for those targets stripping it all is good.

Ignoring 75% of a level 120 heavy gunner's armour is about a 3.65x damage bonus on top of the 75% bonus from the damage type.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

that's kind of big. Plus they'll forget to bring corpro.

It's basically the only thing other than the open world bosses where pubbies are a significant liability.

Pubbies aren't a liability in survival arbitrations.

You just go in capable of soloing the mission and pubbies make more enemies spawn just by existing. More enemies means more life support drops. Eventually they die and sign off (or you can rez them if you want) but you've already benefitted from their presence by that point.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(or you can rez them if you want)

I thought the point of Arbies is that you can't. Or is it that you only get one life?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I pubbed arbies today and I had a good time. I might have gotten lucky with my pubs (we had a trinity!) but I brought Gara at +300% strength and had an easy time, the only one to die was my cat (somehow)

just sling splinter storms everywhere, cover every available surface in glass shards. They'll have to actively try to croak with 90% DR.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Nickiepoo posted:

I thought the point of Arbies is that you can't. Or is it that you only get one life?

When somebody is dead in an arbitration, enemies start sometimes dropping thingies and if you collect 5 you can res them. They debuff you like index points when you carry them.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

Your point is correct but in addition to its 75% bonus damage vs. ferrite, corrosive damage also ignores 75% of the target's ferrite armour so your numbers are off. There is no bonus for corrosive vs. alloy armour though so for those targets stripping it all is good.

Ignoring 75% of a level 120 heavy gunner's armour is about a 3.65x damage bonus on top of the 75% bonus from the damage type.

Very good point. So there's even more advantage to not stripping all of the Ferrite with 4x CorPro.

Radiation has +75% against Alloy Armor and CorPro works on it as well, so you can run 3x CorPro against Alloy.

The folks doing Eidos seriously do exactly this by running only 3x CorPro to get 90% strip on joints and then hit them with Radiation for the +75% damage bonus.

Eido joints have 200 base alloy armor last I looked, so doing the 90% armor strip is well worth the damage boost.

E: Thumpers and Wolf have base 200 armor too. So an armor-stripping Sarpa is particularly good against them if you can't get 3x CorPro going.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 26, 2019

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

v1ld posted:

Very good point. So there's even more advantage to not stripping all of the Ferrite with 4x CorPro.

Radiation has +75% against Alloy Armor and CorPro works on it as well, so you can run 3x CorPro against Alloy.

The folks doing Eidos seriously do exactly this by running only 3x CorPro to get 90% strip on joints and then hit them with Radiation for the +75% damage bonus.

Eido joints have 200 base alloy armor last I looked, so doing the 90% armor strip is well worth the damage boost.

E: Thumpers and Wolf have base 200 armor too. So an armor-stripping Sarpa is particularly good against them if you can't get 3x CorPro going.

Yep but corpro doesn't actually work on eidolons anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kobogartimer posted:

Yep but corpro doesn't actually work on eidolons anymore.

U wot m8

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nickiepoo posted:

It used to be that dead was dead, but they chickened out because the dead person would always quit and it led to more frequent host migrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pubbies aren't a liability in survival arbitrations.

You just go in capable of soloing the mission and pubbies make more enemies spawn just by existing. More enemies means more life support drops. Eventually they die and sign off (or you can rez them if you want) but you've already benefitted from their presence by that point.

I figure if you're at the point where you can solo all extant game content, you don't ask about pubbies at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's lots of content where no matter how much you've mastered it, other people can slow you down.

There's lots of content where no matter how much you've mastered it, other people can help you complete it faster or get better rewards (because you can't be in two places at once.)

Arbitrations, being endless missions and not subject to clear times, are almost exclusively in the latter category. Excavations are an exception, you want to do those with an organized group if at all possible so that you can keep two extractors going at once.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So hard to decide between completing madurai, and not leveling void radiance which literally gets worse as you level it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's lots of content where no matter how much you've mastered it, other people can slow you down.

There's lots of content where no matter how much you've mastered it, other people can help you complete it faster or get better rewards (because you can't be in two places at once.)

Arbitrations, being endless missions and not subject to clear times, are almost exclusively in the latter category. Excavations are an exception, you want to do those with an organized group if at all possible so that you can keep two extractors going at once.

let me try to be more clear: when considering audience, an audience that asks whether or not a given piece of Warframe content is pubbable is not an audience that's going to have a good time pubbing arbitration.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Other than the passives and waybounds, I find very few of the focus perks to be useful (with obvious exceptions) and will probably ignore the system entirely past "which passives are best for this mission" once I get my waybounds unlocked. It's not actually as much of a challenge as I've heard people make it out to be now that tridolons spit out a couple hundred thousand worth of shards with each clear.

Helter Skelter posted:

Obviously it depends a bit on what you're facing, but against high level armored targets, 100% status for corrosive is a huuuuge increase to damage output. Like, 6-7 shots from a Strun Wraith to kill a L165 Corrupted Bombard instead of 14.
100% corrosive makes weapons with high fire rate/multishot like the Glaxion into armor-stripping monsters. Oberon's armor strip is going to be even more ridiculous whenever that augment buff drops.

Tulip posted:

I should probably dump my aura forma on Nova for Power Donation but I'm being lazy.
You might as well, since she's one of the few useful recipients of it rather than just convenient. I've got ten BP's sitting in my inventory I'm never going to use until armor/corpro get reworked.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Also pubbie easy mode for arbys is Nova in Interception, slow the whole room and force the pubbies to win.
Easy mode is getting that one big outdoor corpus map with the walkways going to center (not the new one) where a glass cannon can hide up in some unreachable cubby hole and obliterate everything. Mirage with staticor, etc.

Interception is actually the riskiest to pub because if you lose control of the map at any point (someone dies, enemies get entrenched on a point) there's very little time to catch up because the enemy score gain is massively multiplied. Arbitrations aren't that bad to pub because of the star chart clear requirement, so most people come in ready to win. Tanky frames and killframes are always nice, and CC is actually surprisingly viable since you can tell where the drones are just by which enemies are still moving after something like a giant cataclysm/stasis.

The main problem is that sometimes critical enemies bug out and won't spawn (looking at you, power cell carriers and arby drones) when you need them to and it brings the mission to a screeching halt. I had three people on the ground during a survival and absolutely no drones spawned so we had to extract. Pubbies are also very easy to support if they seem to be stupid; running things like capacitance Volt, safeguard Nezha, Oberon, or Wisp dramatically increases their survival rates.

You don't need them to contribute in most cases unless there are spread out objectives (interception, excavation) but you want to keep them close to herd enemies into the blender. Useful pubbies are just a bonus. Arbys are easily soloable up until enemy level ~150 or so.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just build a second Nova, I personally found it tricky to balance the polarities between regular and speedva. Plus I can just pick my Nova and know what build I have without having to gently caress around with "oh, poo poo, this is my regular Nova" which happens every time because I am dumb as heckhek.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

let me try to be more clear: when considering audience, an audience that asks whether or not a given piece of Warframe content is pubbable is not an audience that's going to have a good time pubbing arbitration.

The newer you are and the more reliant you are on pubs to be able to do something in the first place, the less reason (or justification) you have to worry about how well pubs are going to be able to perform.

Generally speaking, though, if you have arbitrations unlocked in the first place you're probably at a pretty advanced stage in your Warframe career.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Echophonic posted:

Just build a second Nova, I personally found it tricky to balance the polarities between regular and speedva. Plus I can just pick my Nova and know what build I have without having to gently caress around with "oh, poo poo, this is my regular Nova" which happens every time because I am dumb as heckhek.
It's not too terribly difficult unless you want a 2 build as well. You don't need much strength to reach max slow and you should be dumping everything else you've got into duration/adaptation/molecular fission. I've got one tab each and then a "whatever" tab.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

devstream time

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

4 24-Hour Alerts after this devstream instead of 2

Fragor Tekelor (tekelu?) Skin
Orokin Catalyst
Orokin Reactor
Aura Forma

Also the drop is a lazula toroid

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

Nalesh posted:

So hard to decide between completing madurai, and not leveling void radiance which literally gets worse as you level it.

What I did to overcome my minor completionist need was to grind up enough focus and focus-pool cap to be able level and use it if I ever felt the need to make my operator overall worse at eidolons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Summer event next week? "Some way to cool off"

Double credits is definitely next weekend too.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I haven't played since they got rid of the no-brainer energy regen perk for zenurik. Are there any particularly good skills on any of the focus trees, or is it all just finicky / situational bullshit?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pre-clone grineer is a hunk.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FINALLY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

Pre-clone grineer is a hunk.

it's him, john grineer

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dax Thangs

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Devs say they accidentally made Hayden in the Duviri Paradox, not on purpose

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sand Space Worm

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GANDHITRON posted:

I haven't played since they got rid of the no-brainer energy regen perk for zenurik. Are there any particularly good skills on any of the focus trees, or is it all just finicky / situational bullshit?

zenurik still gives infinite energy, it's just slightly more paperwork to use (it's "energizing dash")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

GANDHITRON posted:

The no brainer energy regen is still there in Zenurik, it just doesn't work exactly like it did before War Within released but now there are two different bonus energy perks.

There are lots of other good passives though. Naramon has a perk that increases affinity gain from melee kills and another that makes the combo counter decrease by 5 (or 10 i forget atm) whenever it would expire instead of just evaporating back to 0. That also has a passive massive crit chance buff. Those are crazy strong for melee focused builds. Vazarin has a perk that makes the first four or five revives one either uses or receives instant, which can be really convenient in lovely situations or when you're baby sitting bad pubs.

I want to say Madurai and Unairu have some useful things as well but I forget right now, one of them has a perk that can be used to buff out base damage and that can be used to pretty good effect in eidolon fights for buffing out spoiler amps.