Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

I've done it on a MES but those are stupid easy to get at a low enough temp for jerky, I pulled out the tube for chips and taped a computer style fan on the side and it ended up working almost exactly like a dehydrator.

Interesting. Did you use something else for smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. Did you use something else for smoke?

Nah, I just loaded the chip tray beforehand instead of using the side chute to put in chips.

Even when doing normal smoking, i forgo the chute and pull out the chip tray and just put chips in there when I'm checking on the meat. The chute is kinda dumb.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheReverend posted:

I wanna try to make burnt ends. Is grocery store flat sufficient for this ?

Just do the pork belly burnt ends if you don't wanna do a full packer.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Can someone post the go to pork belly burnt ends recipe again? I still have half a pork belly flat in the freezer and think I might do that this weekend.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Trastion posted:

Can someone post the go to pork belly burnt ends recipe again? I still have half a pork belly flat in the freezer and think I might do that this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

I cut the butter and extra sugar by about half, and thickend up the sauce real good.
I added one spoonful (less than 1/8c) of the pork drippings/fat/braise liquid to the sauce for a bit of flavor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Doing something new today: rubbing a pork shoulder with mustard (like bottled not powder) before applying the rub. Some blog said it helps the rub penetrate/stick better.

I figure the worst that can happen is the pork BBQ tastes mustardy, which is not a big deal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Annath posted:

Doing something new today: rubbing a pork shoulder with mustard (like bottled not powder) before applying the rub. Some blog said it helps the rub penetrate/stick better.

I figure the worst that can happen is the pork BBQ tastes mustardy, which is not a big deal.

The worst will happen -- nothing in mustard is going to help it penetrate, and IME it doesn't stick any differently than with just water or oil -- but as you say it's a fine outcome.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Subjunctive posted:

The worst will happen -- nothing in mustard is going to help it penetrate, and IME it doesn't stick any differently than with just water or oil -- but as you say it's a fine outcome.

Kinda figured, but you never know what random blog might actually have some amazing tip unless you try it!

Also smoking some baked beans to go with it; we're going on vacation tomorrow and nobody ever wants to cook dinner the first night so this way we'll have delicious food already made!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I tend to agree that mustard as a slather doesn't really help in any discernible way from what I can tell, but I've also never had anything wind up with the slightest hint of mustard afterwards either.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm a mustard rubber. But I do it just to give the brown sugar something hearty to hold on to.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Annath posted:

Also smoking some baked beans to go with it; we're going on vacation tomorrow and nobody ever wants to cook dinner the first night so this way we'll have delicious food already made!

I did the beer and BBQ YouTube kamado guys recipe and used tomato paste and they sucked, I'm retooling that recipe the most disappointed dish I've made so far.

https://youtu.be/XunzW9FU3oc

Pretty sure it was the paste that threw it off. Also I used more peppers and there was still no decernable heat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

I'm a mustard rubber. But I do it just to give the brown sugar something hearty to hold on to.

^^^ Yeahhhh buddy.

This isn't a smoked brisket recipe, but it is ultra loving delicious and if you like brisket in any form you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/richard-blaiss-brisket-with-coriander-black-p.html

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

^^^ Yeahhhh buddy.

This isn't a smoked brisket recipe, but it is ultra loving delicious and if you like brisket in any form you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/richard-blaiss-brisket-with-coriander-black-p.html

That looks fuckin delicious. I'll have to try that out next time I have people over for dinner.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I end up usually doing it the night before, slicing the brisket the next day while cool and firm from the fridge, and then re-heating it to serve while basting with even more of the mustard/brown sugar glaze. It's loving amazing and basically guarantees you will not have leftovers.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If you use Spicy Brown Mustard you will sure as poo poo taste it though. Did that once, hoo boy.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

McSpankWich posted:

If you use Spicy Brown Mustard you will sure as poo poo taste it though. Did that once, hoo boy.

Oh yeah that beans recipe called for like a bottle of mustard for 2 pounds that also threw the taste off I think with the tomato paste.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Awwww yeahhh

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gwaihir posted:

^^^ Yeahhhh buddy.

Looks hell good, gotta try that one.

My go to for Not BBQ Brisket is this recipe, it's a showstopper IMO
https://forward.com/food/165211/shabbat-meals-west-african-brisket/

Just setting up my grill, will report back on jerky experiment in 8 hours.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Anyone got a recommendation for a good quality, sturdy charcoal chimney that will last a while? I am on my second one of whatever line they sell at Home Depot, and the arm mechanism to drop the coal is so thin/cheap that it warps with heat and I am lucky to get a full season out of it before it bends beyond the point to support the weight of the coals.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've been using a weber chimney for about 8 years now. It sits outside year round and is none the worst for wear.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I got a weber one as well and I can't imagine it ever breaking. There's no mechanism for dropping the coal, you just turn it over. It's solid and indesctructable.

Jerky turned out real good. Cooked way faster than I anticipated -- I was using Meatheads recipe (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-beef-jerky-recipes) that says expect 6-12 hours for drying, but I pulled mine off the grill after like 3-4 hours of drying at some temp kinda oscillating between 140 and 170. Maybe I just like my stuff a little softer. Probably worth being careful with spoilage in case I pulled it to early, but it tastes hella good.

Making it as a gift for a cat sitter for when I'm out of town next week. I was going to wait to give it to him when I leave next friday, but I'm going to give it to him today instead because it's so snackable that if it stays in my house between now and then I'm gonna end up eating all of it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
A chuck roast or two can turn into some "poor man's" burnt ends no problem FWIW

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

qutius posted:

I'm trying this tomorrow, actually

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

TheReverend posted:

I'm trying this tomorrow, actually

I've had really great luck with it, a little easier learning curve too. So tasty!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZF8Z5V/?tag=097-20&ascsubtag=v7_1_4_g_51vz_4_x01_-srt5-

:thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

Say more, please.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

Say more, please.

I think this was the OG process:

https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-23-2016-smoked-chuck-roast-burnt-ends

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno that I’m going to buy the rub and sauce recipes, but I am definitely adding chuck roast to the grocery list. Thank you!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Lol at charging 20 bucks for a rub and sauce recipe.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Good lord what a complicated and silly pile of mess for one of the simplest cooking methods.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Hasselblad posted:

Good lord what a complicated and silly pile of mess for one of the simplest cooking methods.

It popped up in an ad on Facebook ( :tinfoil: ) and I couldn't help but stare in amazement/horror.

The reviews mention that it can't keep temp well in the main chamber, and can't do hot smoking at all in the side chambers without extra heat from charcoal or something.

Also apparently when the hopper gets low, it has a habit of letting the burning pellets ignite the ones in the hopper bin, which caused at least one person's machine to just die.

Another mentioned that he discovered that the igniter had gone bad when the grill started shocking him every time he touched it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno that I’m going to buy the rub and sauce recipes, but I am definitely adding chuck roast to the grocery list. Thank you!

hah, yeah, I just ignored the ads at this point when I go back to reference his method. Hope you enjoy them!

DiggityDoink posted:

Lol at charging 20 bucks for a rub and sauce recipe.

for reals. Good way to cook up a chuck tho!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Annath posted:

It popped up in an ad on Facebook ( :tinfoil: ) and I couldn't help but stare in amazement/horror.

Amazon is so flooded with horrible chinese products anymore. Unless it is a well known name brand it is like navigating a minefield of poo poo.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

I'm going to make some beef ribs for a get together in a few weeks and tried making them for the first time today. I pulled them about an hour and a half after this picture, rested an hour-ish in foil/towel, and served. I made a mistake and used Montreal steak seasoning and it was borderline too salty, but otherwise fantastic. My friend and his kids killed the rack before I even thought about taking a proper post-cook picture.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where are you people getting these beef ribs that aren’t covered in fat?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

I. M. Gei posted:

Somehow the only place in town that has short ribs is Whole Foods. I trimmed off the thick parts of the cap, but it was still pretty fatty overall.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

A butcher

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad loves my homemade bacon so much he wants to buy a deli slicer to slice it with.

Protip: Do Meathead’s Option #2 recipe and replace some of the water with alcohol. Whiskey and bourbon both work real well.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I. M. Gei posted:

If you live near a Costco Business Center, I got some beautiful short ribs for smoking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s my kind of business.