Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there a soft reset command? Not that I've needed it yet but that's a Fire Emblem staple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Home, X, A is how I do it. There might be a legitimate way.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Amppelix posted:

Is there a soft reset command? Not that I've needed it yet but that's a Fire Emblem staple!

Someone posted it a page or two ago: L R + -

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
(L) + (R) + (-) + (+)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tae posted:

Fire Emblem is trending on twitter, wtf

Fire Emblem is cool now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I opted into not going online when I started the game, now I don't see any option to turn it on again. Do I really need to start the whole game over or am I missing something really obvious

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many support commus are about local foodstuffs

i've got a bunch of c-ranks in eagles and the only reference to food so far has been in dorothea and petra's, with (support spoiler i guess??) dorothea wanting to cook some food from petra's home country to make her more comfortable

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
holy poo poo talking to manuela in her room on the first day

I've played around 3 hours so far and at least 2.5 of them were wandering around the monastery and reading absolutely everything in the library

w o r l d b u i l d i n g

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How exactly do hidden talents happen? It seems to me like stars only appear when I personally instruct someone in the skill, but I can't be too sure yet.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

theshim posted:

holy poo poo talking to manuela in her room on the first day

I've played around 3 hours so far and at least 2.5 of them were wandering around the monastery and reading absolutely everything in the library

w o r l d b u i l d i n g

They took the Fates complaints to heart.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

How exactly do hidden talents happen? It seems to me like stars only appear when I personally instruct someone in the skill, but I can't be too sure yet.

It's a negative skill (arrows going down) but if you raise their weakness, it becomes a unique skill.

Most of them suck.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

RealFoxy posted:

I opted into not going online when I started the game, now I don't see any option to turn it on again. Do I really need to start the whole game over or am I missing something really obvious

Just toggle it back on in general settings, you're fine.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

It's a negative skill (arrows going down) but if you raise their weakness, it becomes a unique skill.

Most of them suck.
Yes, I get that. I'm asking how do I develop it effectively. Does any skill progress outside of the classroom even count? I mean, I'd think it should, but I haven't noticed gaining any stars outside class yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Max motivation, do one-on-one during the teaching days. The Goal days gives a lot of exp to those ranks.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Amppelix posted:

Yes, I get that. I'm asking how do I develop it effectively. Does any skill progress outside of the classroom even count? I mean, I'd think it should, but I haven't noticed gaining any stars outside class yet.
As far as I'm aware you only get the hidden ability by personally tutoring in that skill.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So does this game let me kill the other two houses or is it a pussy and won’t let me massacre named characters en masse? This is the only thing that matters in whether or not I play this.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

So does this game let me kill the other two houses or is it a pussy and won’t let me massacre named characters en masse? This is the only thing that matters in whether or not I play this.
it gets to be quite bloody

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Skeleton King posted:

Why is your concern only with murdering playable characters

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

As far as I'm aware you only get the hidden ability by personally tutoring in that skill.

Four lessons per star, so it'll only take a month or two if you keep their motivation high and focus on them.

Also, you can easily see the budding talents in a character's skill screen. Not every character has them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can you recruit other house characters post-time skip, or just during the school part?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RealFoxy posted:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

You have to do personal instruction in that skill twelve times.

It’s actually fairly easy to unlock all the budding talents in your army if you’re diligent about keeping your students' motivation filled out and you just keep instructing them repeatedly. The fact that students max out their motivation when you gain support ranks with them helps a lot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

How much characterization does Byleth have? If they’re more than just a self-insert I probably just want to keep their default name.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So....I've heard that on S Supports You S support the child looking person if you don't S support anyone during the game????

I get the game this afternoon and am going finally get the fishing simulator i needed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how does poaching from other houses work?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

How much characterization does Byleth have? If they’re more than just a self-insert I probably just want to keep their default name.
In the early reviews I read that the main character is more of a Persona-style protagonist (Usually quiet, dialogue is wrapped up in narrow options) than Corrin or Robin were who both had at least SOME personality

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Do you pretty much have to choose a house at the beginning blind or do you get some time to interact with characters before having to choose?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

In the early reviews I read that the main character is more of a Persona-style protagonist (Usually quiet, dialogue is wrapped up in narrow options) than Corrin or Robin were who both had at least SOME personality

I don't think Corrin had a personality besides "awful"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

So how does poaching from other houses work?

You have the stats they require when you try to recruit them (I.E. Riding, Lance). They're usually high requirement, but you can lower them if you raise support via gifts or bring them in to group activities like lunch or choir.

The stats are based on your character, so if you want to poach magic users, you're gonna try to beeline to being a monk or mage. Visit Rhea/Manuella to raise your stats, etc.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'd say more than a Persona protag - they have parenthetical thoughts sometimes.

funkymonks posted:

Do you pretty much have to choose a house at the beginning blind or do you get some time to interact with characters before having to choose?

you get to walk around and briefly meet everyone before you choose

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

You have the stats they require when you try to recruit them (I.E. Riding, Lance). They're usually high requirement, but you can lower them if you raise support via gifts or bring them in to group activities like lunch or choir.

The stats are based on your character, so if you want to poach magic users, you're gonna try to beeline to being a monk or mage. Visit Rhea/Manuella to raise your stats, etc.

According to Serenes, monk doesn't seem to increase your MAG growth.

I think I'll just ignore poaching on my first playthrough

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

Cool; I'm just doing whatever on permadeath no-rewind so I'll just see who I get then optimize on run 2 with another house.

Also lol that you can loot items from other players' dead characters

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

funkymonks posted:

You have to talk to each of the house leaders, and they'll give you a quick description of each house member along with their stats.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can you recruit other house characters post-time skip, or just during the school part?
in some cases you'll have a choice between killing someone and persuading them to join you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also I can only hope I have fewer casulties than I did in Pathologic lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you haven't already, any non-Golden Deer F!Byleths can recruit Sylvain for free.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

RealFoxy posted:

A story about feuding noble houses would be extremely unsatisfying if characters don’t die.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I couldn't decide which house I wanted so now I'm doing three concurrent playthroughs.

Pray for me.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I feel like even for one playthrough I have to keep a scratchpad next to me to take notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Question: when I choose explore, is there any way to get back to the menu for things like certifications, rest, etc.? Or do once I choose explore, I get locked into that mode?