Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

D. Ebdrup posted:

So that means the stage starts at Mâcot?

Still Albertville, they just head straight south instead of looping east and back first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

An uphill sprint from the gun, that sounds amazing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Actually yeah a straight hillclimb with everything on the line and nothing to save for? Could be glorious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That sucks, that first climb would have been a good place for a split. A long slow climb is just going to be a boring attrition battle that probably suits Ineos since they can just burn Thomas at this point.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Short stages always end up great

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cormet is one of the most technical and spectacular descents of the tour too, this sucks rear end.

I wonder exactly how bad it has to be that they can't clear it overnight .

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 26, 2019

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends how stable it is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When the last stage of the TD Suisse this year was impassible they just made up a new stage on the fly going over a loop from the penultimate stage ITT finish over three HC climbs. Wonder why that's not an option here, maybe the roads, or too much money invested in Val Thorens as a summit finish?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Weather is going to be thunder and hail most of the night as well, so probably not very stable.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

drat, the weather is going crazy here. the announcers implied something like this had happened in 1996 but i didn't hear any details. i guess you go race in the alps for a century and every generation or so you're gonna get hailed on

edit: reminds me of how the tour de california went through big sur on the road that got landslided out in the big rains two years ago. it was fixed by then but i can see how this becomes an issue on the kind of absurd terrain it takes to challenge the modern athlete

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is why classics season > grand tour season

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I finally watched the stage. I’m pretty loving salty that we get another seated climber from Sky watching their power meter as the winner. poo poo loving sucks.

Bin man cometh is loving right.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ffs so what time does this start tomorrow? I'll be between nights but don't want to miss any of it so need to decide if I just stay up and sleep in the afternoon after it's done or wake up later as planned.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Looks like this will take priority over F1 tomorrow.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Masterful gif choice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ffs so what time does this start tomorrow? I'll be between nights but don't want to miss any of it so need to decide if I just stay up and sleep in the afternoon after it's done or wake up later as planned.

Two hours later than originally scheduled.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dirk Pitt posted:

I finally watched the stage. I’m pretty loving salty that we get another seated climber from Sky watching their power meter as the winner. poo poo loving sucks.

Bin man cometh is loving right.

I was talking about quintana, and gently caress off with this staring at a power meter bollocks

If you can't be excited for a young ridiculously talented climber smashing it up a massive climb then go moan somewhere else

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We're probably going to end up really bored of Bernal in years to come but lets not gently caress ourselves over before the reign of terror even begins, this has been a good year

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wait, when did Bernal look down at the power meter during his attack?
I think someone must've been watching the wrong feed.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah gently caress ineos in general but bernal has put in two big attacks, including against his own team leader, the have made for great racing. He's not riding at a high tempo till everyone not on his team drop away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
combination of the institutionalized Colombian and British doping rings. Disgusting stuff imo. Ban this filth

I think the only consolation is that Ineos only care about the tour, leaving the actual good cycling races to the actual cycling fans and not the British Pinarello buyers

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 26, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how can i watch actual cycling in the us, i wouldn't mind seeing it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

how can i watch actual cycling in the us, i wouldn't mind seeing it

legally, FloBikes, though it's one of those dumb subscriptions where you pay like $14.99 a month only if you buy a yearly package and something dumb like $25 monthly. this also gets you the rest of the FloSports stuff, which is mainly of interest if you like French rugby or the KHL

NBC Gold has the ASO races, the main good ones being Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix and LBL. Just about everything else is on FloBikes, though (starting from next year this includes the ASO races if you just use Hola to change your IP to Canadian :ssh: )

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 26, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hmm, paying money is annoying, oh well

perhaps there is a fully legal torrenting option out there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

hmm, paying money is annoying, oh well

perhaps there is a fully legal torrenting option out there

there is but it's invite-only and I haven't had good luck getting one, though I haven't really tried too hard.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm going to pay attention to flobikes, thanks. maybe before a few of the races yall like ill sign up, i think that might be a good way to go

although if a private message wants to appear from the heavens with any other options i'm receptive

anyway back to the race and the weather and the agony of a nation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm going to pay attention to flobikes, thanks. maybe before a few of the races yall like ill sign up, i think that might be a good way to go

unless you want to watch the back catalog, the best time to do that would be after the Vuelta a Espana, when the late-season Italian classics season starts. No idea if NBCSN is broadcasting the Vuelta though, since nobody in the States actually watches anything but the TDF except diehards lol.

Last year's Giro di Lombardia (traditionally the last major race of the year) was one of the best races of last year. it's actually on Youtube though not in English

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ill probably try to watch something live so i can see the chat in here. thanks for the help

vv ok thats another great option, that would be really cool actually

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 26, 2019

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I've been doing Eurosport with a VPN the past few years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah that works too lol. Does Eurosport give you a back catalog in case you can't watch stuff live, or just want to put on a good race from earlier in the year?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah that works too lol. Does Eurosport give you a back catalog in case you can't watch stuff live, or just want to put on a good race from earlier in the year?

The eurosport player has a reasonable on demand service but not normally anything older than one month.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rip, Flo has stuff all the way back to 2018 which is nice.

By far the dumbest though is NBC considering the "cycling season" to start at the Tour de France, meaning that the Ardennes classics are available on demand for like a few months before they wipe the back catalog lol

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 26, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

there's tons of content on eurosport. i think i'll probably go that route, im glad we had this discussion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

there's tons of content on eurosport. i think i'll probably go that route, im glad we had this discussion

no problem. the cycling calendar is a total mess despite the UCI's efforts, mainly because the major races are split between about three or four major rights holders, which is why you need two subscriptions to watch all the major classics legally. i really think they should bring back something like the old World Cup so they can do a package deal to a single network of the 10-12 one-day races people actually care about, but that hasn't happened yet.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

serious gaylord posted:

The eurosport player has a reasonable on demand service but not normally anything older than one month.

Yes if it's older than a month it's gone for good. After Il Lombardia I pretty much stop watching Eurosport until the following season. If you want to be able to just pop on a good bike race from earlier in the season that you missed out on, Eurosport ain't the way to go.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i used FloBikes to rewatch Gent-Wevelgem from this year like three times, it was such a good race lol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He had a good run :france:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But eurosport does also let you watch random sports like 3 cushion billiards and cliff diving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

goatface posted:

But eurosport does also let you watch random sports like 3 cushion billiards and cliff diving.

FloSports has some total weirdo poo poo like US college wrestling and amateur rugby lol. The only non-cycling stuff I watch on it are the French Pro14 rugby, and the Russian hockey league which they apparently have the rights to