Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
hyphz, have you considered board gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Anyway, I have a new game out:

Cold Comforts is a game about survival after an ecological apocalypse, about the bonds that are formed, and the lengths that people will go to in order to survive. Players take on the role of leaders in a small community and have to manage their emotional well being as well as the material needs of their community.

Cold Comforts is a game for 3-5 players and runs over the course of a single session.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

That, as stated, would be fine. (And the character was actually angry from earlier, they mentioned having the Angry status, so losing control for that reason would be fine.)

Ok, counterexample. Let's say we're testing a nuclear bomb. That's obviously a very risky and dangerous thing to do. So we check the circumstances first, and engineer them. Specifically, we set the bomb off in the middle of 36480 acres of empty desert.

But by this logic, because "detonating a nuclear bomb is risky", and because we did not take specific steps to weaken the bomb, if the bomb goes wrong it can end up killing innocent people even if we specifically surveyed the area to ensure there wouldn't be any within several miles.

It's easy enough to come up with fairly reasonable examples like you do in your post (like "she missed by a couple of feet"). But what that means is that the player will likely want to eliminate them ("is there anyone innocent within a ten foot radius?") - after all, if you were the character and you accidentally hit your friend last time you used that power uncontrolled, but you don't have the energy to control it, isn't that what you would do? - and that means that the GM again either has to refuse to answer that question, or come up with increasingly convoluted explanations for the collateral damage that occurs in order to have it happen by some means the player didn't cover. Furthermore, the GM presumably has to watch their every word when describing scenes to avoid describing anything that would rule out a potential cost on a move a PC might make.

The alternative is that the player doesn't try to cover these things, which - as I said and kicked this off - is what I thought was meant by "play to find out what happens", since they're meant to "prioritise seeing what the consequences of the damage are" over "preventing the damage", which might be more narratively interesting but probably not something that will be in the character's head. I mean if Miss Nova did Storm the goddanm Trinity test site, didn't spend the control burn because hey it's a test site, and still ended up injuring someone 2-3 miles away then that's a hell of a story hook. But at the same time if she knew it was a possibility she'd likely have just not done that.
Literally none of this is true, you're an idiot, I can't handle talking to you any more, you cannot form basic human concepts or logical connections.

hyphz posted:

But by this logic, because "detonating a nuclear bomb is risky", and because we did not take specific steps to weaken the bomb, if the bomb goes wrong it can end up killing innocent people even if we specifically surveyed the area to ensure there wouldn't be any within several miles.
"We're setting off a bomb and there is definitely no-one here OH NO AN INNOCENT *jumps out of bunker and shoves innocent out of the way*" is literally the origin story of the incredible hulk

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arivia posted:

I actually have a cheat sheet I hand out to my Basic D&D players that’s the basic idea and guidelines on how to play the game. It prominently says that good plans don’t involve dice rolls. Combat is a failure state, it’s ridiculously dangerous and threatening.

This might be useful to me if you can share it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Zurui posted:

Hyphz, you don't want to play Apocalypse World or anything based on it. You're not interested in any of the conceits of the game or any of the principles behind it. You don't want to cooperatively create a story where you are responsible for highlighting your character's flaws, vulnerabilities, and failures. Your view of gaming is fundamentally adversarial and simulationist.

And that's okay.

Thing is, I actually like all those ideas. My question is more how the GM, in this model, can answer the player’s fundamentally simulation-based question: “I look with my eyes. What do I see?”

And at least here I get the feeling it’s not ok, either. Several unique and especially interesting games are now PbtA while most innovation on the tactical sims has stalled.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Thing is, I actually like all those ideas. My question is more how the GM, in this model, can answer the player’s fundamentally simulation-based question: “I look with my eyes. What do I see?”

And at least here I get the feeling it’s not ok, either. Several unique and especially interesting games are now PbtA while most innovation on the tactical sims has stalled.

the offer to sit in on my masks game still stands. it’s not hard at all because the gm is not the problem here. the player is

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CitizenKeen posted:

So K6BD Tom is writing a game about the last days of the weird west.

I am not versed in that genre.

Other than Deadlands, what good weird west RPGs should I read?

It's been 10 years (jfc) but I remember The Good, the Bad, the Weird fondly.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
So for people without the rules, here's what it actually says for Reality Storm:

quote:

Reality storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

And in the section where it talks about the playbooks in more detail:

quote:

For Reality storm, if you cause unwanted collateral damage, the GM tells you what it is—and you can expect not to like it.

There's nothing that says another person has to be the collateral damage or that they have to mark a condition like what happened in that game hyphz is talking about - you could very easily wreck the building you're in and the consequences might be immediate (the building is going to collapse) or come down the line (the owner of the bank is pissed and goes on the news talking about "heroes these days" or whatever).

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
hyphz there is either something fundamental you just don't get about PbtA games and never will, or there is something you require PbtA games to do that they simply do not do and you refuse to accept that. Either way, you are spending a lot of time and mental effort trying to justify it and you really don't need to. Play something else.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FMguru posted:

DC's various Jonah Hex collections should also be considered (but not the 2010 movie version, which was Catwoman-level terrible)

Good call, ordered from the library.

And Wild Wild West - I used to watch the TV show along with Brisco County Junior, which, as I type this, I realize is the ultimate in weird west.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

BlurryMystr posted:

hyphz there is either something fundamental you just don't get about PbtA games and never will, or there is something you require PbtA games to do that they simply do not do and you refuse to accept that. Either way, you are spending a lot of time and mental effort trying to justify it and you really don't need to. Play something else.

Well, I do genuinely want to get it, though. I know I come across as knocking the games, but that’s because I get pushed onto the defensive.

And as I said, the problem with “play something else” is that shared narrative games are eating so much of the RPG innovation sphere that it’s hard to do that without giving up a ton of interesting options. If I like DnD but prefer sharnar I can play Dungeon World. If I like Shadowrun I can play Hack The Planet. If I like M&M I can play Masks.

But if I prefer simtac games and like Blades In The Dark, well, I can go jump in the lake it seems. No new simtac has attempted to fix the problems with stealth mechanics or plan duplication. The latest one to come out is probably Pathfinder 2e and that doesn’t even fix the 3D problem. You got your sharnar Gamma World, where’s our simtac Rhapsody Of Blood?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz posted:

The GM can reasonably expect their players to accept the premises of the game, the rules of how their characters work, and the fundamental RPG premise that we're here to have an adventure, not to intentionally try to undermine the mechanics and assumptions built into this game.

What you are describing repeatedly is not a problem with the game. This game or any game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CitizenKeen posted:

So K6BD Tom is writing a game about the last days of the weird west.

I am not versed in that genre.

Other than Deadlands, what good weird west RPGs should I read?

It definitely doesn’t hit the levels of Weird West that Deadlands does but if you haven’t already do yourself a favor and read Dogs In The Vineyard.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hyphz posted:

Well, I do genuinely want to get it, though.

no, you clearly, very obviously don't. if you did you wouldn't be 1/16th as resistant to literally every single explanation that is given to you that very clearly answer your questions to which you reply with the exact same headass rejection of the very basic premise of the systems

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh no, what is young Rick Jones doing on the gamma test site

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

This might be useful to me if you can share it.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vldqsm766t1vgy7/what%20we%20do%20in%20the%20dungeon.docx?dl=0

Hack up as much as you'd like. Oh, the roles are from ten foot polemic's big house rule document.

What I do to get people started (even people brand new to roleplaying) is a copy of this, a set of dice, and help them pick a pregen from the Basic classes (you can play a wizard, or a priest, or a thief, or a fighter, all explained in general game terms, and then demihumans are mixes of the classes.) It's worked a treat so far.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Alaois posted:

no, you clearly, very obviously don't. if you did you wouldn't be 1/16th as resistant to literally every single explanation that is given to you that very clearly answer your questions to which you reply with the exact same headass rejection of the very basic premise of the systems

I do get the spirit behind most of the answers, what I don't get is how they, once accepted, would deal with "I look with my eyes. What do I see?"

Splicer's suggestion that, in the podcast's example, the description should instead have been that the energy blast exploded into shards and one of them caught the Legacy makes a ton of sense. It fixes the problem entirely, it does not suggest that somehow the Nova failed to see the Legacy standing in front of her. But the task of the GM in having to presumably buffer every detail that the PCs have seen, and then come up with a cost that does not contradict any of them, seems completely daunting. I mean, maybe he or others can do it but it seems tremendously tough, and if a GM who runs multiple systems and can sustain a podcast with a listener count greater than 0 can't do it it seems pretty intimidating to me. Equally, it seems bizarre to accept that the players asking the GM what their characters see violates the basic premise of the system.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 26, 2019

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I realize I'm really late to Chinachat, but when I was researching Ming China for Farther East, I read Timothy Brook's The Troubled Empire, which is book 5 in a series of books on Imperial China. I haven't read the other books in the series, but The Troubled Empire was great, so the others might be too.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

hyphz posted:

I do get the spirit behind most of the answers, what I don't get is how they, once accepted, would deal with "I look with my eyes. What do I see?"

No offense, hyphz, but based upon my readings of your typical gaming groups they're full of sadistic players who read the rules with the intent of "how can I be as disruptive as possible to everyone else?" As a result, you're basing your rules readings around presuming that the rules need to handle those who will misconstrue them into bad faith arguments. Any system has holes in it, and if some disruptive Munchkin wants to abuse the wording of the rules they will find a way.

I can get that; a lot of newcomers have had their interactions with a system or tabletop at large tainted by bad sessions. As cliche as it may sound, playing with other groups, or even like Serf said reading and watching other people play can help illustrate how people would deal with the "what do I see?" question in actual play. And also to stop gaming with the problem players; no gaming's better than bad gaming.

If you have 50 minutes to spare, here's an Actual Play of Masks by veteran tabletop gamers. I watched them play Deadlands a while ago, and they are good at injecting personality and role-play into the sessions to make them entertaining to listen to. I have not watched the whole thing, this was what I pulled off of a YouTube search, but they're a channel I recognize.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

If you're just looking, the GM describes what you see. If you're say trying to find a way out of a burning warehouse that would be "Read a bad situation". If you're trying to track a monster, that would be "Investigate a mystery".

Let's say you're a monster hunter trapped in a burning warehouse (you just turned it into a burning warehouse (think any warehouse you've seen in films. There's racking, boxes of stuff, forklifts, potentially explosive things and so on) by driving a gas powered forklift at a werewolf), there's some more werewolves too *. Deciding that you're going to want an escape route you start looking around for a way out, which triggers the "Read a bad situation" move. We'll say you roll well and get to ask up to three questions. (Technically you get hold, so you don't have to ask them all at once, but for the purposes of the example, you're asking them all at once.

quote:

• What’s my best way in?
• What’s my best way out?
• Are there any dangers we haven’t noticed?
• What’s the biggest threat?
• What’s most vulnerable to me?
• What’s the best way to protect the victims?

What do you ask?

*I can't remember the exact details, but it was in a game that The Lore Bear ran.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Roleplaying in the hell dimension is either having hyper-aware PCs which require the GM to tell the players precisely and exactly what is in a room or otherwise the GM is being cheap and unfair by springing them with something unexpected, or the entire session being filled with “what’s in the room?” “just a regular room” “do I notice anything unusual?” “roll for perception”

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I also find narrative games more explicitly require a rejection of "you go, and your turn is complete, and then I go, then my turn is complete", etc.

Like, D&D and stuff make some comments about that, but you really have to embrace it in games like *World, and Forged, etc.

The whole Nova scenario assumes that Nova's player can say "stop, hold on, what's the sitch in the room right now? Where is everybody right now? Okay, nobody move or do anything while I take my discreet turn, and then Sally, you can go."

Which is not how any of these things work at all.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Angrymog posted:

If you're just looking, the GM describes what you see. If you're say trying to find a way out of a burning warehouse that would be "Read a bad situation". If you're trying to track a monster, that would be "Investigate a mystery".

Let's say you're a monster hunter trapped in a burning warehouse (you just turned it into a burning warehouse (think any warehouse you've seen in films. There's racking, boxes of stuff, forklifts, potentially explosive things and so on) by driving a gas powered forklift at a werewolf), there's some more werewolves too *. Deciding that you're going to want an escape route you start looking around for a way out, which triggers the "Read a bad situation" move. We'll say you roll well and get to ask up to three questions. (Technically you get hold, so you don't have to ask them all at once, but for the purposes of the example, you're asking them all at once.

If you're using an investigation move that's ok (although a bit risky with the "best" issue). But if you can see racking, boxes, forklifts, etc. then you can also see where they are and choose to be or not to be there. And again, it's presumably down to the GM to work out where you are and if they have to resolve a result (like say a failed Help Out where "you expose yourself to trouble or danger without helping") allow for that. If you were helping someone who was nowhere near a forklift you're not going to fall over it.

Trying to say "well the system isn't like that with precise positioning" makes it very difficult to create any mental image as a player. And it's not quite true either. I mean, I listened to Flavivirus' broadcasted playtest of her fantasy PbtA system and I was nearly exasperated with the amount of time spent asking questions back and forth about what the players saw in a given scene, with her apparently trying to avoid giving concrete answers.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 26, 2019

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Speaking of superhero games, has anybody played Spectaculars yet? Just played my second game on Tuesday and it fuckin' sings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Heliotrope posted:

So for people without the rules, here's what it actually says for Reality Storm:

And here's the Directly Engage a Threat basic move:

quote:

DIRECTLY ENGAGE A THREAT
When you directly engage a threat, roll + Danger. On a hit, trade blows. On a 10+, pick two. On a 7-9, pick one.
• resist or avoid their blows
• take something from them
• create an opportunity for your allies
• impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

The big problem with hyphz getting their head around that example of play, is that the GM is doing a bad job of running PbtA. Splicer had a good suggestion to fix it. I would have insisted on an answer to "how do you do that ?" when the player just names their move. Never name your move, let your moves inform what you do and the GM will tell you when to roll the dice.

To continue on with dealing with "what the eyes see", I'd say that PbtA games don't require the level of onerous detail that some styles of play thrive on, because the players don't have to mother-may-I for positive outcomes. The Nova's Reality Storm will always cause collateral damage unless an extra Burn is spent. That collateral damage will always be unwanted.

The GM should decide the collateral damage based on the fictional positioning. If another player is over there punching a robot, they're a prime candidate for collateral. If there isn't one, a roof beam falls in or the place catches on fire. Personally, I'd shy away from having another PC take the collateral, after that happens the players' responses to "What do you do now?" are going to be boring or unwelcome. Escaping from a burning building with hostiles around is much more interesting. Trying to finish the mission in a collapsing building with hostiles around is even more interesting.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
noot noot

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 26, 2019

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

hyphz posted:

Well, I do genuinely want to get it, though. I know I come across as knocking the games, but that’s because I get pushed onto the defensive.

And as I said, the problem with “play something else” is that shared narrative games are eating so much of the RPG innovation sphere that it’s hard to do that without giving up a ton of interesting options. If I like DnD but prefer sharnar I can play Dungeon World. If I like Shadowrun I can play Hack The Planet. If I like M&M I can play Masks.

But if I prefer simtac games and like Blades In The Dark, well, I can go jump in the lake it seems. No new simtac has attempted to fix the problems with stealth mechanics or plan duplication. The latest one to come out is probably Pathfinder 2e and that doesn’t even fix the 3D problem. You got your sharnar Gamma World, where’s our simtac Rhapsody Of Blood?

First of all, sharnar is an awful term (almost as bad as simtac). Maybe just call them "narrative" games?

But this is a larger point that I'd like to address, actually. There are fewer crunchy, tactical games being produced in the gaming sphere in the last decade. We didn't "get" a narrative Gamma World, someone put a lot of work into developing the narrative tech to make Apocalypse World. And, at this point, AW is old enough that it got left behind (as did Dungeon World, which was once New Hotness). Apocalypse World Second Edition is a marked improvement and incorporates a lot of updates, much as Fellowship really succeeds where Dungeon World didn't. There's a lot of interesting actually new stuff out there too - if you PbtA blows your mind then you should check out Dream Askew/Apart. People are actively creating and publishing these games. We really are kinda in the golden age of RPGs.

To loop back, there are tactical RPGs being developed. Lancer is just about to release; Pathfinder 2e is (bad but) about to come out. However, I feel like the negative reception of D&D 4th Edition, combined with the sheer amount of work required to create these games, means you're not going to see them be anywhere as near to the mainstream as they were in the nineties.

I mean, you can only do so much after you've read GURPS Tactical Shooting, my dude.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
*gouges eyes out with spoon*

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
TEML

Together
Everything
Means
Less

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The cutesy weapon-shaped stat boxes make me want to die

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
See? That’s what simtac gets now. The great innovation is that you get 3 actions a round!

And yes I know sharnar and simtac are horrible terms, I didn’t want to say narrative and simulationist because GNS is incomprehensible by now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

TEML

Together
Everything
Means
Less

trained/expert/master/legendary, the clarified proficiency system that applies to everything

The sheet looks like a mess, but it actually shows how the system works: they give you a bunch of math, you do that once, and everything is good after that. It's a much more comprehensive, easier to read sheet than say 3e/PF1e.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Honestly it's a bit dense but it's not that bad? I know Pathfinder Bad but that's pretty much the same as the default D&D 4E sheet with some variation in the shapes thrown in to make it easier to scan quickly and keep track of where certain things are on the sheet. Could be a lot worse.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The sheer number of different shapes is making my eyes hurt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's only a couple of genuinely good PbtAs, and a whole lot of copycat dross that misunderstood how PbtAs are intended to work. My personal short list is AW, Masks, WWW and Monsterhearts (although I haven't played the latter). The other stuff I tried wasn't great but at least made sense stylistically (Dungeon World) or had some good ideas but couldn't pull its weight mechanically (Night Witches). The other stuff I've read seemed straight copies of DW where the designer just straight copied PbtA as a resolution system rather than a system to emulate a specific type of genre.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

If you're using an investigation move that's ok (although a bit risky with the "best" issue). But if you can see racking, boxes, forklifts, etc. then you can also see where they are and choose to be or not to be there. And again, it's presumably down to the GM to work out where you are and if they have to resolve a result (like say a failed Help Out where "you expose yourself to trouble or danger without helping") allow for that. If you were helping someone who was nowhere near a forklift you're not going to fall over it.

Trying to say "well the system isn't like that with precise positioning" makes it very difficult to create any mental image as a player. And it's not quite true either. I mean, I listened to Flavivirus' broadcasted playtest of her fantasy PbtA system and I was nearly exasperated with the amount of time spent asking questions back and forth about what the players saw in a given scene, with her apparently trying to avoid giving concrete answers.

So in the situation above, we know that your character has just leapt clear of a forklift that exploded, set fire to the warehouse and took out a werewolf. On the other side of the warehouse, your comrade, a literal Battle-nun is fighting two other woofs.

You want to help out. You could dash over there and try to fight one of the woofs directly - that would be Kicking some rear end. If you have a ranged weapon, the GM could ask for an Act Under Pressure - you're not in danger of being attacked, but you could miss, or have to decide between taking the shot and diving out of the way of a bit of ceiling that's about to fall; on a 6 or less (things go to hell) you might find yourself face to face with the 4th woof (it's been earlier established that there's four of them), or find yourself separated as part of the ceiling collapses between you. Or maybe you just want to help them, you could say, "I'm going to shoot one of the lights down to distract a werewolf." You don't have to ask are there lights, of course there are. Or "I pick up a bit of debris and throw it at the werewolf" which would trigger "Help out".

re: Positioning, there is nothing to stop people drawing a map - it just won't be a tactical squared map. You have this shared fiction, and anything that helps make it consistent is helpful. What you don't actually want to do is lay out all the details perfectly, because that doesn't leave anyone room to manoeuvrer in the fiction.

re: The use of the word "Best" - it's mechanically enforced. If you act on the information given, you get +1 whilst the information is still relevant. Say there's a warehouse worker - they'd dozed off past the end of their shift, and now stumble out into all this chaos. You use one of your hold to ask, "What's the best way to protect the victims?" - I say, "Keep the werewolves occupied until he's escaped." you get +1 on anything that's actively occupying werewolves until that guy's escaped. You can do something else - maybe you're already quite hurt and decide that actually, you're just going to try and drag him to the exit. That's fine too, but you don't get the +1.

To go back to getting out of the warehouse, You could just flat out ask, "Are there loading bay doors? If so, I dash towards them." only an unreasonable GM says No, because obviously warehouses have loading bay doors. They could ask for a Act under pressure as you duck and weave past the werewolves and out into the loading bay.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 26, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tekopo posted:

There's only a couple of genuinely good PbtAs, and a whole lot of copycat dross that misunderstood how PbtAs are intended to work. My personal short list is AW, Masks, WWW and Monsterhearts (although I haven't played the latter). The other stuff I tried wasn't great but at least made sense stylistically (Dungeon World) or had some good ideas but couldn't pull its weight mechanically (Night Witches). The other stuff I've read seemed straight copies of DW where the designer just straight copied PbtA as a resolution system rather than a system to emulate a specific type of genre.

I'd toss Urban Shadows on there as a pretty good one with DW and NW, as the debts are such a great mechanic, but the rest of it is just decent.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

dwarf74 posted:

*gouges eyes out with spoon*

There are three more pages of this lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

alg posted:

There are three more pages of this lol

I'm going to take a guess they include all your various feats, so they're a complete record. Like how a starting 4e sheet was 2 pages of sheet and a page of power cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
As I’ve said elsewhere, the problem with that character sheet isn’t the information being recorded, but the way that it is presented. Everything has such equal weight that everything bleed together into a single messy pile of lines and text. There are no hierarchies of information, no flow for the eye to travel across the page, and everything is super crowded because every item has an equal amount of white space around it, not enough to offer a semiotic separation but enough to make everything bigger and tighter.