Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Phone posting but I finally just played the first two levels in the SMV levels a goon was making. (Forgot your sa name, in game name is Dustin!!) The first two levels owned and I can’t wait to play the rest. I knew 1-1 would be fun pretty quick, love your level design so far.

I’ll try to post thoughts about all the goon levels I play on my flights today. Excited to play all y’all’s levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get some feedback on this level? It's pretty straight forward but I'm happy with it. My main goal was to make a level that felt as close to a classic stage as possible. A friend of mine told me that one of the jumps is too difficult but honestly I think it's fine.

I hope you like it. Really scratched a itch for me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some feedback on this level? It's pretty straight forward but I'm happy with it. My main goal was to make a level that felt as close to a classic stage as possible. A friend of mine told me that one of the jumps is too difficult but honestly I think it's fine.

I hope you like it. Really scratched a itch for me.

Very cute. At first I thought the way you had the ground raised to the middle was awkward but it makes sense now.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Crusader posted:

don't trust em - 2LJ-0P4-TLF

most of the inspiration here was accidentally finding out that fire flowers could trigger clown cars to go active

Fun level but feels like it could've been better made doing more with branching paths and traps to fit the theme, feels like not much was done with it tbh.

Flying boomboom and the run up to the goal is a gatdam nightmare but it wasn't prohibitively hard or too easy, good stuff

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Season of Flooding: LDY-VYB-CWG

Made a level to mess around with rising water levels. Pretty straightforward traditional level. Nothing amazing but I had fun with it, and I finally got to use bloopers in a level which made me happy. They have unique AI in 3D world that is pretty cool!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Things like scraping together a single coin to pay for luxuries like food or housing can be more challenging than they appear. Why? Because Mario was born in 1983, which means:

Mario is a Millennial
GJ2-9B5-9XF

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 27, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Suspicious Cook posted:

Things like scraping together a single coin to pay for luxuries like food or housing can be more challenging than they appear. Why? Because Mario was born in 1983, which means:

Mario is a Millennial
CJ2-9B5-9XF

Cute! Mario's canon age is literally always 25 I think which seems very weird to me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Head in the Clouds

Wanted to make something easy for a friend's daughter and this was the result. You literally don't have to move at all and let the bullet bills do all the work and that's by design please don't scoff at that she got a blast out of kicking the ninja lady's butt.

I'm also gonna hit RAOM right now so I'm gonna make a list of what I play and my thoughts on it as my next post

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Asema posted:

Head in the Clouds

Wanted to make something easy for a friend's daughter and this was the result. You literally don't have to move at all and let the bullet bills do all the work and that's by design please don't scoff at that she got a blast out of kicking the ninja lady's butt.

I'm also gonna hit RAOM right now so I'm gonna make a list of what I play and my thoughts on it as my next post

This is the 5th head in the clouds :v:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I remade another of my SMM1 stages! This one is a bit tricky but I think it still holds up.

Escape from Koopatraz: SM5-RS6-JNF

I think at this point I'm gonna try making some more new courses. Creative slumps are a pain.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
A couple more levels, both fairly simple and neither terribly difficult; I'm still getting the hang of level design.

The Bridge Is Out
UPDATED: 6NX-NDX-2TG

The Koopas are trying to warn everyone away. But that won't stop Mario!
(Classic platforming.)

Anger Street
L2S-LWM-QMF

What a lovely day!
(Steal a car and race through the desert, dodging bullets and pits.)

Suspicious Cook posted:

CJ2-9B5-9XF[/b]

Heads up: you've swapped the G for a C in the body of your post. That leads to someone else's level. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 27, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is the 5th head in the clouds :v:

She named it!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Cute! Mario's canon age is literally always 25 I think which seems very weird to me.

my favorite part of that is the interview where miyamoto said it he was like "that is literally the only thing we defined about him"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
here it is

quote:

"I think it was fortuitous that we didn't put any restrictions on Mario as a character," he said in the footage. "Normally when you create a character and present him to the world, all the details get filed in: what's his favourite colour? what kind of food does he like to eat?"
"But aside from the fact that he's about 24-25 years old, we didn't define anything else."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Besesoth posted:

A couple more levels, both fairly simple and neither terribly difficult; I'm still getting the hang of level design.

The Bridge Is Out
QLH-2TJ-2PG

The Koopas are trying to warn everyone away. But that won't stop Mario!
(Classic platforming.)

I just played this one off RAoM and lost my post with about a dozen level comments in it to trackpad flaking out and deciding my swipe across the surface was about eight different clicks. It was decent, but in the second section I could just drop down to skip the entire thing.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm gonna try to do 10 levels of RAoM a day:

- #842 Dry Bone's Saw Factory
- YVR - WB3 - 41H
- ethren

- Once you get the first jump down it's a pretty easy level. I beat it, but I'm sure that first jump has scared many people away from it. It's -really- tight platforming overall for a single screen.

- #965 The Good Level
- C1R - 3N2 - 6HF
- END CHEMTRAILS NOW

- The Bad Place flowed better than The Good Place and I don't know if that was by design, but it was a nice short level!

- #265 30 Second Dash
- T1R - KL2 - NHF
- Heavy Sigh

- The enemy placement didn't flow right for what seems to be a speed run level. I don't know if you wanted people to spin jump off of the enemies or just go around them but there's enough time to just skip them entirely.

- #618 Mario's Lost Ball
- B3G - S33 - 3QF
- bumblebadger

- The chase at the start was pretty fun. The post checkpoint part going through the subspace didn't make sense and I gave up after a little while.

- #394 You don't have to wait
- C8V - 971 - G2H
- Caithness

- I'm going to be honest: I waited way too long to see if the chain chomp could hit the P block.
- However, the airship jump was nicely done, and taking the title into consideration was pretty nice for the end room!

- #452 Boom Boom's Fortress
- 27S - 180 - YNF
- Tykero

- Theme seemed a little bit off, even with Boom Boom at the end and it being more of a vertical climb than a fortress, the tests of the climb were all pretty fun but I would be wary of trying to play around with vulnerabilty frames for that spike trap section.

- #707 Pillars of Doom
- VM2 - 45P - VVF
- Pakled

- Some tight platforming. My type of level and I loved it!

- #581 Flooded Fen
- DGW - N36 - X2G
- Salastine

- I wish I ran across this in Endless because I basically jumped across the top to the tune of a million 1up sounds. It was a fun level!

- #636 Mario, the bridge is out!
- BR6 - 376 - XYF
- Relax or DIE

- Cool theme! I'm a sucker for any use of the claw and that was a fun skip through the top level. The sub-level seemed a bit dry and once you play it, you can just jump right to the pipe at the end to skip everything!

- #615 Conveyor Belt Climb
- V5F - F3N - YXF
- Gropemotron

- I didn't play this in multiplayer versus but it seems to me that it could get pretty hectic. I like the spin jump on the route, though it seemed to trivalize the level a bit.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1154914471476977664

You cannot use any other item.
You can allow Lakitu to throw spinies.
You can modify any objects however you like (wings, parachutes, etc...), use any style, theme and all sound effects.

You know what to do by now. I have a party to get to, good luck.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Random Stranger posted:

I just played this one off RAoM and lost my post with about a dozen level comments in it to trackpad flaking out and deciding my swipe across the surface was about eight different clicks. It was decent, but in the second section I could just drop down to skip the entire thing.

Ugh, that sucks. :(

And - I see what you mean. I've made some updates to handle that problem and also add an optional sub-section: 6NX-NDX-2TG

DalaranJ, would you please update the spreadsheet with the new code?

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 27, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I made my second level, it’s fairly basic (I think!) and revolves around hopping on cannonballs, which I find super fun. I’m still learning how to make levels but I think this one’s better than my first one. Hoping my clear rate will be better anyway.

Cannon Fodder
L0W-N1N-SHF

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Anyone that likes a level but doesn't draw a picture is a monster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Anyone that likes a level but doesn't draw a picture is a monster.

I'm not shoving my fingers on my Switch screen

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Finished my level:

Zero G Parkour
SM3-49Y-HDG

I haven't played a level that shows what you can do in NSMB low gravity, so I decided to make one. I wanted to use the "finish the course without landing" condition, but apparently the game considers a P-switch to be solid ground some of the time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not shoving my fingers on my Switch screen

Drawing with the joystick is what gives it "character".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

DalaranJ posted:

You can modify any objects however you like (wings, parachutes, etc...), use any style, theme and all sound effects.

I hope what to do is post it here! :ohdear:

Stand On Your Own Head
2QJ-MK9-F9G

Ground, semi-solid platforms, pipes, an invisible block
Coins, pink coins
Dry Bones, Podoboos ("Lava bubbles", psh)
Icicles, key, key door

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 27, 2019

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Asema posted:

- #965 The Good Level
- C1R - 3N2 - 6HF
- END CHEMTRAILS NOW

- The Bad Place flowed better than The Good Place and I don't know if that was by design, but it was a nice short level!
That's exactly what I was going for, so I'm glad it worked. Thanks for the feedback.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Besesoth posted:

I hope what to do is post it here! :ohdear:

Stand On Your Own Head
LNM-50P-VGG

Ground, semi-solid platforms, pipes, an invisible block
Coins, pink coins
Dry Bones, Podoboos ("Lava bubbles", psh)
Icicles, key, key door

This could double as a mixtape jam course with that name.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll be going for some world records on a few majorly disputed levels for about an hour and then doing some viewer levels. Queue is open, though!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DalaranJ posted:

Just to clarify on the Lakitu part: Can they throw any of the other allowed objects or JUST spinies?

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."

OneMoreTime posted:

And we're finished! Thanks again for joining me tonight, it was a ton a fun.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/458043880

Levels played:

#995 Dry Shell Invulnerability Test

Oh, I’m glad that you liked my level! It was nice to get a fresh perspective on it. The original version had an autoscrolling sub-level that utilized the whole distance and used a bowser on each side. That was somewhat rough/tedious, so it was reworked to the version that you played. As a tradeoff, I added the new section after the 2nd checkpoint which turned out to have an overall neutral effect on the level difficulty.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Made a level based around Icicles and Sliding, so hold onto your butt if you try it.
Glacial Grief
NF7-1VF-FWG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OneMoreTime posted:

Just to clarify on the Lakitu part: Can they throw any of the other allowed objects or JUST spinies?

Other than spinies you can only use the items and enemies listed. Spinies are a ‘free space’ for rolling Lakitu.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

When I don't have a migraine and incredible nausea I'll look into this.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Finished my Blitz level, A Gentle Rain of Fire! I finished in roughly about an hour, and kept going back-and-forth on whether or not the Lakitus needed to be cut down a bit, but I left them alone after a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Please play my fourth and most famous level, Mass Blast

818-15P-0VF

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Please play my fourth and most famous level, Mass Blast

818-15P-0VF

Good work overall. Pretty straight forward level for the most part. I think you could have provided the fire flower power up a bit earlier however. It doesn't feel as good when you get it near the end of the level, but this is still pretty good.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

Finished my Blitz level, A Gentle Rain of Fire! I finished in roughly about an hour, and kept going back-and-forth on whether or not the Lakitus needed to be cut down a bit, but I left them alone after a bit.

Neat level. It took me about three lives to figure out how to get the second key (even though the first key should have given me a hint). In general, it could use a bit more polish (and probably a few less Lakitus), but it was still fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got super frustrated with art so I played some Mario instead.

Haunted Heights: Okay, this is a perfectly good traditional level, but why did you tag this as multiplayer versus? It'd be awful in versus. 3/4 of the level is gated behind a key door that one player has to go out of their way to open while everyone else can just camp. This design is horrendous for versus.

The Wetland Warlords: Decent short level. I don't really feel like the goal really added a ton though since killing the troopas is pretty trivial. Not bad but feel like a lot more could be done.

Snowy Slopes: Decent, but again feels like something where a lot more could of been done. The middle section of the level just feels so pointless. There's no challenge either from enemies or coins to collect in an optimal manner. It just feels like a waste of time.

Terrible Tower: Pretty good! However, you probably should of either introduced twisters earlier in the level or not had them at all. Having them show up only in the last room means people don't immediately think about how to combine Builder's boxes with the twister and it may not even occur to them at all since it seems like a jump you could almost make.

Bowser's Illegal Fish Farm: I feel like if you're gonna make a level this hard you need to fine-tune it better. There's a lot of randomness going on with how all these hazzards sync up, or rather don't. Also just some glaring oversights; know way to see some spikes in the darkness, and the checkpoint literally kills you if you don't move right after reloading. Feels crummy.

SMV 1-2: Creeper Cavern: Fun! Piranhas and pipes always go well together. Only real criticism boils down to an aesthetic one. I feel like you could of sold a pipe theme better by replacing most of the horizontal surfaces with pipes. All the pipes in the level are vertically aligned which is of course functionaly fine but lacks a decorative touch.

The Vault: Its alright. Lot more you could do with thwomps and for such a short level the few obstacles present aren't terribly thrilling.

Magma Minefield Marina: Its fun but a bit to chaotic and spammy at parts. Also feels like it could benefit from a more cohesive set of mechanics, since it introduces a lot only to use it for a little bit. Also there are some design decisions that just seem pointless and dickish, like a monty mole in a question block.

Creepy Sleet Fleet: Tough, but very fun! I really liked this level. Posted a tense, unique challenge that kept me entertained despite numerous failures. Level had a great aesthetic as well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Got super frustrated with art so I played some Mario instead.

Haunted Heights: Okay, this is a perfectly good traditional level, but why did you tag this as multiplayer versus? It'd be awful in versus. 3/4 of the level is gated behind a key door that one player has to go out of their way to open while everyone else can just camp. This design is horrendous for versus.

The Wetland Warlords: Decent short level. I don't really feel like the goal really added a ton though since killing the troopas is pretty trivial. Not bad but feel like a lot more could be done.

On Haunted, keep in mind it was made before the camping "meta" was around, so the idea was to go on a big key hunt and whoever nabs the last key has a small advantage. Then all players shuffle through the door and the routes split up into different paths to take with different layouts so you can overtake others and speed your way down depending on the pipe you chose. The thing is sitting at 200+ hearts and has 70 or so multiplayer plays so people are keeping it in rotation, I assume it works better in practice :shobon:

Wetland Warriors is fair, it's a homage/story stage that I figured was fun enough to get through and that's about the basics of it :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On Haunted, keep in mind it was made before the camping "meta" was around, so the idea was to go on a big key hunt and whoever nabs the last key has a small advantage. Then all players shuffle through the door and the routes split up into different paths to take with different layouts so you can overtake others and speed your way down depending on the pipe you chose. The thing is sitting at 200+ hearts and has 70 or so multiplayer plays so people are keeping it in rotation, I assume it works better in practice :shobon:

The camping meta was around from Day 1 dude. The moment anyone sees a locked door and red coins they camp it, and everyone figured that out right away. People keep all sorts of levels in rotation; I assume it actually has very little to do with multiplayer likes since it seems the maps most commonly in rotation are simply the oldest. Just the number of likes overall probably has a much bigger impact. But even putting aside the key there are other bad designs for multiplayer. The very first powerup is in a box that will result in the inevitable obnoxious scramble with people camping the top, and picking pipes you can't see the tailend of in multiplayer is always a crapshot when there are multiple options.

Its a perfectly fine level but I'd be annoyed if I got it in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

The camping meta was around from Day 1 dude. The moment anyone sees a locked door and red coins they camp it, and everyone figured that out right away. People keep all sorts of levels in rotation; I assume it actually has very little to do with multiplayer likes since it seems the maps most commonly in rotation are simply the oldest. Just the number of likes overall probably has a much bigger impact. But even putting aside the key there are other bad designs for multiplayer. The very first powerup is in a box that will result in the inevitable obnoxious scramble with people camping the top, and picking pipes you can't see the tailend of in multiplayer is always a crapshot when there are multiple options.

Its a perfectly fine level but I'd be annoyed if I got it in multiplayer.

v:v:v I mean to each their own I guess. Day 1 when I played I didn't really see many people camping and I only really noticed it after uploading it and some time had passed. Will have to agree to disagree on the last part as well, I've been in a couple maps where the paths vary on snap choices and I've personally enjoyed them even when I lose so it's just spreading a take on what I liked really.

It's fine though if you don't enjoy the concept of it, not going to try to convince you otherwise! Still thankful you played it at all!