Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have the book on preorder but Lord knows when it'll ship to Thailand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have the book on preorder but Lord knows when it'll ship to Thailand.

It's on route, but it has to get here and then clear customs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Someone on facebook confirmed the new damage is Energy+1d6 vs Armour.

So much simpler!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Grey Hunter posted:

So much simpler!

Ladies and gentlemen, we got 'em.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

So much simpler!

Mission Accomplished.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Battle for Earth has arrived in Bangkok!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So if any of you have resistance fleet sets, what are you planning on building? I'm considering a cruiser or heavy cruiser with dual missile banks, engine refit, scanner array, and maybe ablative armor to try and out-Wyvern the Wyvern.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

wdarkk posted:

So if any of you have resistance fleet sets, what are you planning on building? I'm considering a cruiser or heavy cruiser with dual missile banks, engine refit, scanner array, and maybe ablative armor to try and out-Wyvern the Wyvern.

I haven't picked up any resistance ships yet(been wanting to make an EAA fleet), but massing low power weapons sounds like a fun way to throw more dice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I look forward to the cruiser box going on sale in the future so I can add some classic Earth ships to my PHR.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Got a 999 point game of zone v2 in to learn the changes. Goddamn the new CQB is so much better. RIP in piss old CQB.

Also, light transports for your infantry still feels like the way to go.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I read the new CQB rules and was briefly confused about where the rest of it had been hidden. So much simpler.

Also, I feel like fast movers are going to be used alot more (by me) and that the models might actually spend time on tables as well!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Is there a reason to use the 2-HP heavy tanks now? That was my big bugaboo with v1. If you're going to base your core faction on GDI then I want to use mammoth tanks, dammit.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Loxbourne posted:

Is there a reason to use the 2-HP heavy tanks now? That was my big bugaboo with v1. If you're going to base your core faction on GDI then I want to use mammoth tanks, dammit.

Kinda? They were never really bad, just that as UCM you wanted to take the support stuff like drone carriers and gunships instead of tanks, even if you bolt two together for a 20% discount. Luckily this has been remedied by making the drone carrier abysmally awful! There are a few natural predators (like ocelots, broadswords etc) that flat out ignore the extra dp, but otherwise even high power guns need to roll well to one shot them.

The changes to transports and drop & shoot has helped them a bit so maybe they are more tempting now? I can imagine a lot of people opting for the broadsword instead of the gladius tank, as it has a really big gun.

Scourge aren't taking their heavy tanks ever though, as the low arm means they get blown off the table in one shot by too many things.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Played a <500pt game last night, my PHR vs his Shaltari. Spent most of the time fumbling around trying to learn the V2 rules. 24" on Rc is nice for sitting your AA in the middle of the board and reaction firing down passing Edens. It's definitely more deadly than V1.1 with criticals. For a 1k game I feel like I should add more AA and troops, but why would I do that when I can add an Athena and a bunch of heavy walkers?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Incy posted:

Scourge aren't taking their heavy tanks ever though, as the low arm means they get blown off the table in one shot by too many things.

Yeah, they have the same armour as the normal tanks, and only 2 HP - meaning they are easy to crit off the board with any decent gun, and having both guns in one turret means they will do a lot of damage to a single target, but can be easily overwhelmed.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

They show as 3 HP in the army builder now.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
South Coast UK Dropfleet event in planning! Sadly I can't go but other people should.

Go pew pew!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Picked up my book. It's neat, although full of the sort of "passes spellcheck but it's the wrong word" kind of typos, largely in the background sections at least.

Did a simple starter force trial game sort of thing. I think embarking/disembarking and all that is the thing that took the longest to wrap our heads around. We'll see how it goes with a proper game later at least.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

Picked up my book. It's neat, although full of the sort of "passes spellcheck but it's the wrong word" kind of typos, largely in the background sections at least.

Did a simple starter force trial game sort of thing. I think embarking/disembarking and all that is the thing that took the longest to wrap our heads around. We'll see how it goes with a proper game later at least.

There were a few things that tripped me and my opponent up, notably the evasion/AA counter evasion stuff, some rules being moved, and how infantry combat is no longer a weird subsystem.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

There were a few things that tripped me and my opponent up, notably the evasion/AA counter evasion stuff, some rules being moved, and how infantry combat is no longer a weird subsystem.

We're coming at it having never played Zone, just Fleet, so hard to say how it compares to the earlier rules or how that experience would impact our perception of the game. Had fun with the trial run of it at least.

My big complaint is how ugly the army builder is right now. That poo poo needs prettying up!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

People on the FB group seem incredibly mad about how cqb works now and I can't understand it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If I'm getting the gist of it, some people think cqb is too simple and want to re-complicate it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

If I'm getting the gist of it, some people think cqb is too simple and want to re-complicate it?

They seem to think it's a balance issue I thought.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

A lot of the time people call things they don't like unbalanced, especially when it's changed, but they haven't adjusted their play.

They could be right however, I know a couple said there were a lot of tweaks from the beta that didn't make it.

I like the adepticon errata for dropfleet, at least.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Trenchdeep posted:

I like the adepticon errata for dropfleet, at least.

That's some good stuff, and, judging by the contents of BFA, has real official support. Why it's not totally official yet I can't say, but it seems legit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I kinda see the people running the DFC adepticon errata as an unofficial version of a Mantics rules committee.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Hi folks - I’m selling off my DFC UCM fleet. It’s almost entirely assembled, primed and magnetized to swap between ship configurations because I’m terrible at making decisions.

Battlefleet Box
-1 Battlecruiser (magnetized)
- 6 cruisers (1 San Fran, 5 magnetized)
-8 frigates (4 Tokyo/Taipei/New Orleans, 4 Jakarta/Lima)
-3 corvettes
Command and activation decks, stands, decals, and a baggie of extra bits.

5 more New Orleans frigates
2 Destroyers (Kiev)
1 cruiser sprue
Rulebook

Looking for $100 for the whole lot, plus shipping. Let me know if you’re interested.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

head58 posted:

Hi folks - I’m selling off my DFC UCM fleet. It’s almost entirely assembled, primed and magnetized to swap between ship configurations because I’m terrible at making decisions.

Battlefleet Box
-1 Battlecruiser (magnetized)
- 6 cruisers (1 San Fran, 5 magnetized)
-8 frigates (4 Tokyo/Taipei/New Orleans, 4 Jakarta/Lima)
-3 corvettes
Command and activation decks, stands, decals, and a baggie of extra bits.

5 more New Orleans frigates
2 Destroyers (Kiev)
1 cruiser sprue
Rulebook

Looking for $100 for the whole lot, plus shipping. Let me know if you’re interested.

Nice post/game combo.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter & I are running a little tournament in Didcot Oxfordshire on November 24th if anyone fancies it. I need me moar games!

Facebook event page!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Quick montage of my recent games of fleet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So I went to the London Grand Tournament (Dropzone) today. As you might expect for an event with 4 weeks notice it was four of us plus Dave having a very laid back couple of games. There was meant to be a 5th but he didnt show up.

We got started a bit late and by the time we finished our first games decided we were going to play 2 relaxed games instead of trying to cram in 3. We are all still new to 2nd edition and the venue was kicking out at 6pm. We played on the studio tables used in photography, which was nice. We did a lot of chatting and Dave spilled a few beans.

I have a bag with each of the new commanders in. They are so new that some don't have names yet, and very alpha rules. They are all low points options.

Pics coutesy of facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DZC.Community/permalink/2891819797498280/

PHR have an aircraft which looks like the alternative Neptune with short wings and Erebos ECM panels. A flying Erebos!

UCM has the Wolf heavy scout buggy. It is a big Wolverine with missiles (indirect fire probably).

Resistance get a hovercraft with optional turret. Commander option is missiles, regular unit option is a turret with both a cannon and a flamer.

Scourge one I didn't catch what it does. It's a 4 legged walker with some wingy bits. I'm thinking a mini Overlord with some plasma buff effect? Interesting fact; this is the first Dropzone unit NOT sculpted by Dave.

Shaltari is an odd one. The pieces are two infantry dudes standing either side of a teleportation gate with a little spider bot walking on a scenic rubble pile in the middle. Again, no idea! - Edit - It is an Infantry Commander, but oother than that dunno.

Behemoths are well along with pre-production. I've seen the render of the Scourge one and it's awesome. Big tentacle beast, like a Matrix Sentinel scaled up for taking on a kaiju. Price point of the big ones is going to be around £100. They are hefty kits. The smaller ones probably around £50, Dave compared them roughly to the Thunderstorm.

Work continues on the mold making and 3d prototyping and they are catching up as they bring in printers and train mold makers. Training people to make molds means your experienced staff aren't making as many molds because they are training others. Their 3d printer was failed 3 of every 5 prints they spent a couple grand getting an expert engineer in to fix it and it then failed every print. They were not happy. Once sorted they will have 3 printers, one of them costing £65k.

New releases are going to start going out roughly monthly and Dave is very excited to get stuff out there because 'none of it means poo poo until the players have it on the table'.

FAQ/Errata is inbound. The FAQ is probably going out on Thursday. The TTC boss man whose name I forget was telling us that the team were going to drop it Friday but he wants people responding to feedback on Friday rather than nobody being in the office over the weekend while nerds lose their poo poo. So that's cool. They are aiming to establish a 3 month FAQ/Errata cycle going forwards.

Dave has not been as in control of the rules writing recently and the expanding TTC design team have done most of the work. Dave clearly doesn't agree with every detail but sees benefits in having more people involved. I get the impression he is chipping in more now that BFE is done. He obviously found today useful and is going home with notes.

TT want to start building the tournament scene back up and expect to be returning to the LGT next year (with more advance notice obviously). Dave is very keen to see the game get back to where it was.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 15, 2019

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Figured they'd be around the same price as a Dread so surprised to see it'll be double that.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Figured they'd be around the same price as a Dread so surprised to see it'll be double that.

I'm getting the impression the big ones are are much, much bigger than dreads, the smaller class a similar ballpark. If I heard him right Dave said the big Shaltari Behemoth is over 20cm, tall. The PHR one has guns the length of some buildings.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've not read BFE, what sort of units ARE Behemoths? I get they're huge giant kaiju things, which is a bit of a departure for some factions.

I can't see the UCM being that invested in a single unit, or the Resistance being able to afford one (unless it's something like a huge mining excavator or such, which would be excellent). Are they all giant robots of some kind or is there more nuance?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The UCM section goes on about how they're effective more as morale boosters/recruitment tools when compared to the same amount of resources spent on regular vehicles. And yeah, the Resistance ones are old giant exploratory/mining robots.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is this upcoming errata for dzc or dfc or both?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Is this upcoming errata for dzc or dfc or both?

They only mentioned DzC, but I don't think any of us asked specifically. I think they have been focusing on polishing the DzC relaunch.

I did ask about Monitors and as far as Dave is concerned they are done, its just down to production scheduling to get them out. He thinks it will be quite soon.

Behemoths - the factions have been holding them back until the big push. The Resistance have been hiding them away as they would have been hunted down and destroyed long ago if the Scourge knew they were out there. Now that there is a full on invasion they can bring them out with support to hit the big targets.

The Battle for Earth has pushed all of the factions to go all in and try to break the enemy. Time for the super weapons. Dreadnought's in the void, Behemoths on the ground. The four big boys do all fit a giant robot kind of mold, but we haven't seen the smaller versions (unless there is art in bfe I'm forgetting). The Scourge and Shaltari are very alien looking (a mass of floating tentacles and a rearing snake-like thing respectively), PHR is the tall elegant quadruped we've seen in cabinets. Resistance from the art is a chunky quadruped launching big rear end missiles out of the top, and we have seen a massive howitzer in resin that I think is the alternative armament. UCM are getting a very beefy biped that Dave compares to 'good Battletech'. It sounds like walking armour with guns, it is the heaviest model of the lot apparently.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sounds good. Light commanders sound useful if your going to hide at the back and throw cards out. Saves on points.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
How good is dropzone at the moment? Last time I played a few games (years and years ago) shaltari were still considered OP and freshly nerfed (I think their move speed or TP rules) and medusa? (8 wound infantry that could only take one hit at a time or something) was pushing PHR to be fairly strong.

Is this still fairly true about the game or has the balance shifted ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There are a few specific units needing tweaks but overall balance is pretty good. A couple of obvious errors crept through the unit stats on the new army builder but they are putting out an update soon.

Stuff like the mechit A2 lost limited-2 on its rocket launcher and the Phobos is accuracy 2+ instead of 3+.

There are a couple of obvious problem points emerging to iron out with old stats interacting with V2 rules. With the new CQB rules Eviscerators are obnoxiously powerful.

Ravagers (the scourge gunships) combined with an Overlords double fire buff is horrific. I forget what the exact change was but Dave was explaining it to his boss why they need to nerf it.

There are probably a handful of other units but we will see what the changes are soon.