Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Flosports sounds like the american version of eurosport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

there is a belgian three cushion billiards players called eddy merckx. but it's a different one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Flosports sounds like the american version of eurosport.

it's like Eurosport except with 0.1% of the budget and no TV network

my favorite thing is when they can't get English world feed commentary from a race so they like rustle up some dude who usually announces college rugby or something to commentate on E3 Harelbeke, extremely poorly

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

HappyCamperGL posted:

there is a belgian three cushion billiards players called eddy merckx. but it's a different one.

You learn something new every day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx_(billiards_player)

It says he was named for the other, more famous Eddy Merckx.

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 26, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh, i was imagining a triangular table

i'm disappointed

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I know its not gonna happen and this question has probably been asked a million times but in theory, if on the final stage 1-2 were separated by say, 8 seconds, would it be contested? (not in a TT ala '89, but the usual procession stage). Or are the unwritten rules too strong

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

clean ayers act posted:

I know its not gonna happen and this question has probably been asked a million times but in theory, if on the final stage 1-2 were separated by say, 8 seconds, would it be contested? (not in a TT ala '89, but the usual procession stage). Or are the unwritten rules too strong

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, the sprint teams are too invested. You'd never get a break to stick.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah even when Vino broke away and won it, he still finished with the same time as the sprinters. Couldn't gain a single second over the peloton. And you're not realistically gonna be able to stay away for longer than he did

I have some vague memory of Froome putting in some half-hearted moves against Cobo in the last stage of the 2011 Vuelta, when he was 13 seconds back, but I can't actually find any mention of them in the race recaps I can find now... maybe I just imagined it :shrug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I managed to avoid spoilers today and saw there were like 250 posts and figured something wild happened but that’s definitely not what I expected.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
No matter what happens over the next 2 day I think we can all agree that next year is going to be so drat boring compared to this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, ineos will have figured out how to get around whatever new AICAR detection they came up with and their domestiques will be back to their usual self instead of being mysteriously out of form at the same time

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
finally got to watch the end of this and had a literal lol at Uran here, love him going mental and Nibali chasing after him anyway.

there was a shot of Bernal with those two blowing chunks behind him and it felt like a real changing of the guard

https://twitter.com/salazars_world/status/1154814690620559361?s=21

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2019

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Why was he mad? I missed that part.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rhaegar posted:

Why was he mad? I missed that part.

Guessing he didn't believe the stage was being canceled

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
He thought he was being played when Nibali told him the race had been neutralized and to quit going so hard.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NOSsport/status/1154849512793497601

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Rojkir posted:

I'm just a bit hungup about the usual disregard for rider safety and now when they finally do something everyone is like: "Great descision!" But no one is complaining as vocally when we have another completely retarded flat stage where riders are forced into a narrowing road doing 60k/hr like last year when Bernal crashed for example (one of many many many examples).

Remember that stage when multiple riders were knocked off the road into a barbed wire fence?

Good times.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, ineos will have figured out how to get around whatever new AICAR detection they came up with and their domestiques will be back to their usual self instead of being mysteriously out of form at the same time

Great post.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Bernal rocks but the whole stage should have neutralised yesterday. When no one knows there the finish line is, it’s not a proper race. I guess there aren’t no good solutions in a situation like this, but that would have been the least bad IMO.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xabi posted:

Bernal rocks but the whole stage should have neutralised yesterday. When no one knows there the finish line is, it’s not a proper race. I guess there aren’t no good solutions in a situation like this, but that would have been the least bad IMO.
I don't know that they do, but if they use dGPS for the trackers every driver has to drive with, they can measure the accuracy to within 22cm per 100km from the broadcast site.
As to whether its least bad, I'll have to repeat what I said yesterday: It's worse for the close fight that we want them to have if they completely cancel the results of yesterdays stage, because as far as I remember the classifications, the gaps on the day before yesterday were bigger than they are yesterday, and yesterdays stage was arguably worse for Alaphilippe than todays stage because todays climb suits him more.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It would kind of own if all the French teams road for Alaphilippe today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The organisers must be incredibly grateful it’s a Colombian wonder kid and not Froome. He would probably be killed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

The organisers must be incredibly grateful it’s a Colombian wonder kid and not Froome. He would probably be killed.

Im still not sure if he'll make it up the mountain without getting smacked in the face. The stage cancellation has rankled a lot of the idiots.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From all the videos on Twitter of current conditions I'm not sure we'll even get a shortened stage.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPCyclingQueen/status/1155062151918362624

indeed

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Yeah it looks bad. Would be a disappointing end to a great tour if they can't go today.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Super lovely but juuust rideable conditions could make this alot more interesting but there does seem to be some murmuring this will be cancelled

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
God hates France I guess

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If it had pissed it down like an hour earlier and 2 miles to the east yesterday France would be celebrating the win right now

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SportsOrla/status/1155067971884261382

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

goatface posted:

But eurosport does also let you watch random sports like 3 cushion billiards and cliff diving.

Eurosport is the ultimate in background viewing sports tv. Like you said, there's cliff diving, there's a load of athletics from Diamond League top level stuff to meets at a crappy community stadium, last night I had slippy slidey dirt track motorbike racing on while I was doing other stuff, and during the week I was watching fencing. Half their subscription base must be people who pay for access for their one weird sport that gets the world championship covered, the other the weird euros doing dances to euro-trance outside the TdF team hotels in big choreographed groups (which, of course, Eurosport shows at random points during the race.)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mrenda posted:

Eurosport is the ultimate in background viewing sports tv. Like you said, there's cliff diving, there's a load of athletics from Diamond League top level stuff to meets at a crappy community stadium, last night I had slippy slidey dirt track motorbike racing on while I was doing other stuff, and during the week I was watching fencing. Half their subscription base must be people who pay for access for their one weird sport that gets the world championship covered, the other the weird euros doing dances to euro-trance outside the TdF team hotels in big choreographed groups (which, of course, Eurosport shows at random points during the race.)

Just a shame about the samey adverts (SUNNY!) and those compilations that take up a minute whilst racing is happening.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gonna need a MTB:
https://twitter.com/DienVdB/status/1155072459546214400

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Victory for the team that brought gravel bikes.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I can't watch :qq:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

Just a shame about the samey adverts (SUNNY!) and those compilations that take up a minute whilst racing is happening.

Yeah this makes Eurosport (almost) unwatchable for me. The same lovely commercials all the time, and they come on every 15 minutes

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway I can watch the cycling for free without commercials on Dutch or Belgian TV :smuggo:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

oliwan posted:

Yeah this makes Eurosport (almost) unwatchable for me. The same lovely commercials all the time, and they come on every 15 minutes

At least those cringy Alpecin ads are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm so glad that Danish TV2 broadcasts Tour de France, as they only break for news at 1500 or 1600 on weekdays.

Also, I've been looking at it - and if I read the points and right, Bernal might win the yellow yersey, the white jersey and the polka dot if he is first or second on Val Thorens, and if Bardet comes 8th or lower?