Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Keyser_Soze posted:

How is KIA not still running that ad where the crazed baby (turbo) Hamster escapes the hospital to the sounds of Motörhead. :colbert:

That was for the previous generation Soul. They've moved on to a new ad campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

prom candy posted:

Just found this about the regular Golf:

:barf:

Just when I started really warming up to VW they decide to poo poo the bed.
Seems the only German brand left that has a decent analogue looking cabin is BMW. Such a shame they’re also horrifyingly unreliable. I bet most BMW owners don’t even go near 12,000 miles per year in mileage out of fear of warranty loss or lease overages.

Guess it’s time to accept mediocrity and get a Lexus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Don't think they'll be putting that in the commercials any time soon

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CornHolio posted:

My first car was a '94 Sentra. I loved that car. My first new car was an '03 Altima. That car served me well, had it for five years and 100k miles and I think it's still on the road somewhere. I went to the Chicago Auto Show in 2001 just to see the new 350Z concept. I convinced my mom to buy a Rogue when they came out since it was basically a lifted Altima.

I used to be a fanboy but there's so little they're putting out to be excited about.

The early 90s were Nissan's golden era as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

prom candy posted:

"the only analogue aspect is basically the steering wheel,”

That seems fine. Whatever I drive I find the accelerator is pretty binary.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

That's the same thing people say about xBs.

Yeah people love it or hate it, and I love it. The Juke, not so much, it just doesn't appeal to me although if I drove one and it blew me away I might forget about how it looks.

Kraftwerk posted:

Reliable Luxury Car > :mediocre:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 26, 2019

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah people love it or hate it, and I love it.

I always loved the OG xB myself and I think there's a real place in the market for a small, affordable, box-on-wheels van-like object, which the Kia Soul has arguably proven. What else is there? Transit Connect Passenger Wagon?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah people love it or hate it, and I love it. The Juke, not so much, it just doesn't appeal to me although if I drove one and it blew me away I might forget about how it looks.

Reliable Luxury Car > :mediocre:

No need to worry then

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Kraftwerk posted:

I dunno, I loved the test drive I had of the IS300h. So insanely comfortable to drive and felt good to drive. Apart from my hand touching my thigh when holding the wheel I sat like a king in the seats. Looks great, not too common on the roads, decent performance (by European standards) etc. Ok it has CVT drone, but to be honest it's a very acceptable trade-off for what you gain. I also find hybrids fun to drive as keeping it in EV mode and maximizing the potential is a fun challenge. Managed to average 4,7L/100km.

What's so mediocre about Lexus? I'm seriously wanting one after driving it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

The early 90s were Nissan's golden era as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

My grandfather rolled 400k miles on a 1992 Sentra commuting from Winchester to Alexandria every day for years and years.

When he sold it, it ran perfectly. It was a base model, no frills.

Should've been Nissan CAR the way that Toyota used to have Truck, Van, etc.

MrOnBicycle posted:

What's so mediocre about Lexus? I'm seriously wanting one after driving it.

People really value the Will It? Won't it? moment at startup.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 26, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Juke-R was cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Juke#Juke-R

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not like there's all that much analog about the current Golf R's interior.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

The Juke R is just sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCZe04p5V4

No, mine can't do any of that :biglips:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bring back levers

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I appreciate the Juke R for being a "we asked if we could but never thought to ask if we should" kind of engineering insanity. The people who made it obviously did it for fun and that's awesome.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Powershift posted:

Also, the diesel 3.0 straight six silverado is rated at 23 city/33 highway. It might ACTUALLY be the first diesel engine that will pay for the option cost in fuel savings.

This is also a better fuel economy figure than the diesel Colorado (23/20/30.) It really does feel like the only non-HD diesel worth considering; the Land Rover diesel in the F-150 is mediocre, and the EcoDiesel in the Ram is failure-prone.

I wonder what the trim availability will look like for the diesel Silverado. The cost is the same as the almighty 6.2, but GM gates the 6.2 to trucks above $50K.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

'soft lines and no angry eyes, so is (sic) doesn't project sufficient manliness...'

The most beautiful cars in the world are all soft lines. The difference between a Juke and a beautiful car is purely that the designers of the Juke ain't poo poo.

I know what you mean. But cars are getting tankier and more aggressive every year and a turning point hasn't been reached. I don't know how manufacturers estimate their customer preferences but sometimes I think it's informed by YouTube comments. I suppose the current prevalence brodozers and road tanks shows that the appreciation of bubble-shaped cars has been higher in the past (caveat: since no one is throwing soft-lined Miatas on the market right now, we couldn't say how customers would respond to them compared to current-gen ones).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah the Juke R, a totally commercially available vehicle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm getting more and more interested in the Ford Bronco, unless I'm overlooking something it might be the only midsize or larger vehicle that might have anything I'd consider "character" and isn't a Jeep (and under $30k).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm getting more and more interested in the Ford Bronco, unless I'm overlooking something it might be the only midsize or larger vehicle that might have anything I'd consider "character" and isn't a Jeep (and under $30k).

I'm doubting that the Bronco is under $30k, "midsize or larger" and "under $30k" isn't a long list anyway. I'd say the Durango has character, compared to everybody else's FWD appliances? I'd also say the Outback has character, and is well under $30k. Probably better off road than cheap Jeeps too!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You might know better than me but it's built on the ranger's platform so I think that's midsize, and I also read it was thought to start at or just under 30k. The Subaru may be fine, I don't really like how they look whereas, if the leaked images of the baby bronco are are anything to go by, I'll like the squared off visual design.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bull3964 posted:

It's not like there's all that much analog about the current Golf R's interior.

I guess it depends on how you define analog? I just want physical buttons for most things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm doubting that the Bronco is under $30k, "midsize or larger" and "under $30k" isn't a long list anyway. I'd say the Durango has character, compared to everybody else's FWD appliances? I'd also say the Outback has character, and is well under $30k. Probably better off road than cheap Jeeps too!

It will almost certainly be within $1k of the Wrangler, which is $28k. It's based on the Ranger which starts at $24,300, and there is an F-150 based bronco coming which should start in the mid 30s.

I'm betting baby bronco = $24,995, option up to $50k. bronco = $29,995, option up to $60k. bigass bronco, option up to $80k.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
AI's dream console.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Needs more overhead guarded toggle switches.

And a "boost" knob like a Vector W8

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
it clearly doesn't have ventilated seats, throw it away please

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Swapping the fuse panel and the light switches would have been better for day to day use.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

Kinda hosed up to go 'lol Juke', especially one with a manual box. Is there something wrong with it on a mechanical level? Or is it strictly style?

With the CVT they drive like garbage. Guess the manual could change things but I’ve never seen one IRL.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

With the CVT they drive like garbage. Guess the manual could change things but I’ve never seen one IRL.

the manual was non-turbo and FWD only if i remember correctly

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

doodoot doodoot doodoot
doodoot
doodoot

doodoot doodoot doodoot
doodoot
doodoot

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

the manual was non-turbo and FWD only if i remember correctly

For a while every US Juke had the same turbo engine, but yeah, manual was FWD only.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Lord Stimperor posted:

I know what you mean. But cars are getting tankier and more aggressive every year and a turning point hasn't been reached. I don't know how manufacturers estimate their customer preferences but sometimes I think it's informed by YouTube comments. I suppose the current prevalence brodozers and road tanks shows that the appreciation of bubble-shaped cars has been higher in the past (caveat: since no one is throwing soft-lined Miatas on the market right now, we couldn't say how customers would respond to them compared to current-gen ones).

People are feeling more and more scared and insecure these days, what with the constant media assault telling them everything is terrible, so naturally they want tanks.

Remember the last time road tanks got popular? Right around 9/11 and its attendant wars.

If you want beautiful design again, you have to make people feel like they are safe

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

dissss posted:

I sincerely beg to differ. I have no CVT issues like lag, or any issues at all really.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

Just when I started really warming up to VW they decide to poo poo the bed.
Seems the only German brand left that has a decent analogue looking cabin is BMW. Such a shame they’re also horrifyingly unreliable. I bet most BMW owners don’t even go near 12,000 miles per year in mileage out of fear of warranty loss or lease overages.

what modern bmw has an analogue cabin

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah BMW literally invented the whole "giant piece of poo poo touchscreen in the dash that doesn't work" genre

EDIT: oh right it wasn't even a touch screen

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you don't have to have a manual, Lexus is a great option with a ton of engine choices.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife's next car will probably be a Lexus. Let me tell you how exciting it is to replace a turbo on a macan out of warranty. :v:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Residency Evil posted:

My wife's next car will probably be a Lexus. Let me tell you how exciting it is to replace a turbo on a macan out of warranty. :v:

How much? I was thinking of getting a Macan

Is it just cost or are there other annoyances

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JK Fresco posted:

How much? I was thinking of getting a Macan

Is it just cost or are there other annoyances

Oh it's a fantastic car, and probably one of the best all-around car we've ever driven. It's comfortable, quiet, quick to accelerate, and great for both getting around town and for long road trips. My wife has a long commute (50 miles each way, although it's all highway) so she racks up the miles.

Thankfully, there's a chance Porsche will goodwill the turbo replacement. Otherwise it'll be $3k, which is not terrible, but kind of annoying on a car that only has 60k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mistayke posted:

Wait, they STILL make the Pulsar over there? It was discontinued here in North America back, I think 2000. It's why I mentioned it, 19 year old Pulsars are still a sight here and a testament to Nissan's ability to make a long lasting vehicle.

The last Pulsar sold in the U.S. was the short lived NX in 1993. Was there something else in Canada?