Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lmao

They get along pretty well! Being allowed to sit on the monitor simultaneously is a new step; even though I've had them both for a year+ now I am still very cautious about letting them interact, since Charlie's got a very large beak and Ama's too much of a pistol for his own good. They seem to have formed a bit of a bond though since moving into the new apartment, since they have nobody but each other for company while I'm at work during the day. For the most part they sort of live separate but parallel little lives while I'm home, wheedling for snacks (they both get one) and begging for baths (they both take one), sitting on my shoulders (one bird per, although Ama doesn't seem to always quite get that rule). Sometimes one of them decides he absolutely must crawl into his brother's cage, which always leads to me flying across the room to extract the intruder before the beak-tussling begins. They're like a little living yin and yang, existing with a comfortable sort of disinterest in one another (until not).

wow, that is almost how Trevor and Cricket are. They have a vague truce going on atm.... we can share my shoulders but Trevor forgets sometimes and pulls her tail from behind. I *think* he might be trying to play? Cricket wants nothing to do with this guy tho and screams/yells, then flies away and proceeds to scream conure obscenities at him. I'm kinda glad that I can't speak Birdese cos it would probably blister my ears :( They are usually happy to do their own thing, and not bother each other. Unless that own thing means being on me and getting personal attention etc and then its game on. Yay. Trev does seem to be the instigator most of the time, tho. He loves to try to sneak into Cricket's cage and eat her food tho.

Really tho, they don't like not being together...they flock call and everything. It's just BEING together that is an issue lol Reminds me a lot of my brother and me growing up :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

birds :allears:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto and Peanut are.... tolerating each other. Which is good, I guess? Vet gave em both a clean bill of health as far as bird sickness goes, so we've been keeping them closer to each other.

I spent time with both of em on my shoulders as I drew this

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1153823978613460992

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is pure speculation, as I'm not likely to get another bird while my two parakeets are around.

What small to medium breeds are known to function best with cockatiels? I see multiple Youtube channels with dopey rear end cockatiels being pals with IRNs and Quakers, and those would be my two top choices. I'm not looking for them to be cage mates, but what experiences do you folk have with cockatiels co-existing with "not parakeets?"

I also worry that fussy female cockatiels would be less friendly than the constant "LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL CREST AS I SING THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE!!!" males.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Get a Pionus, they're supposed to be pretty chill. Get one so I don't get one and I can live vicariously through you.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Quakers are my dream bird.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It will probably be years, if ever. But I get birds based on how I connect with them first, then breed second. I met a Caique named Jerry and a Rosy named Dustin that both adored me, but I didn't have the room for them at the time. When I got Wandy, she was a twenty something rescue who had been tragically removed from a wonderful living situation. She was a little girl's bird that her parents made her ditch so they could get a family cat. Wandy was possibly the sweetest, most chill potato I've ever known. She got bounced around a few places after her little girl, and they kept ditching her because she adored the men of the house too much for their liking. They thought of parrots like most people would think of a finch.

With my condo, shared living arrangement, and tinnitus I'm limited on some breeds.

So, long story short, probably a Quaker. :3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I got to have a visit with Scout yesterday. Dr. McDonald took her off her seizure meds at the end of last week and it looks like she hasn't had another one since then. She has also become way more alert and was interacting with me more instead of just napping out. Her leg bandage has been reduced to an Ugg boot which although highly unfashionable is way better than her full leg bandage, and she seemed to be able to move around better with it. We are still worried about her as her weight remains low and she needs a lot of attention to maintain her health situation, but we will take any good news we can get at this point.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

I got to have a visit with Scout yesterday. Dr. McDonald took her off her seizure meds at the end of last week and it looks like she hasn't had another one since then. She has also become way more alert and was interacting with me more instead of just napping out. Her leg bandage has been reduced to an Ugg boot which although highly unfashionable is way better than her full leg bandage, and she seemed to be able to move around better with it. We are still worried about her as her weight remains low and she needs a lot of attention to maintain her health situation, but we will take any good news we can get at this point.

Hell yeah, good news is good news!

(I may need to see the Ugg Boot)

(I really do)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I was just thinking about Scout the other day, I'm glad she's doing better, and has fashionable new shoes!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
oh goodness....I am so glad to hear about Scout! I was just chatting about her to my husband and realized that I hadn't heard anything recently! So so glad she is doing better....and smart new shoes too :)

She is a very much a high fashion chick apparently with the fancy new footwear. I'm still waiting for a pic tho...<hint hint> As for the weight, once she gets home and can eat and rest in her own home again, comfortably, I am sure the grams will pile back on :)

Kisses and hugs from all of to you Scout!! <3 <3 <3

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Glad Scout is doing better! Alert and active are good signs, not just the lack of seizures. I'm not personally super concerned about her weight, it's pretty normal for them to be stressed out and lose weight/not gain weight back until they are comfortable again. Thank you for the update.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
"What? You wrote down a note? What note? I haven't seen it."

:five minutes later I'm chasing a bird around the room trying to remove a post it note from her lower beak:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So the cabinet with the bird treats is just outside of my bedroom, and the birds getting a nutriberry or some such is usually heralded by "you guys want snacks?" I just got up to go to the kitchen and as I stepped out of the bedroom I learned that Charlie has taught himself a very clear: "Snacks??"

Well that wasn't the original plan but yeah buddy, you can have snacks.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Ahhhh man. This thread makes me want a bird so much sometimes. That sounds cute as heck.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

it's that time again! baby bird pictures!!

I really want that whiteface :3: look at his goofy smile in the first picture what a dork

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Awww the little white guy has the bald spot!

:3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AAAAA the babies are so SMILEY :3: :3: :3:

Also - yay Scout!!! I'm sure she looks extremely stylish in her Flugg (yes, that is a german-english bird shoe pun and no, I am not at all sorry)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gently caress. Just before when Pion perched on my hand I suddenly felt something wet, and discovered it was blood. Not mine.
I have no idea what happened.
This is 15 minutes ago, he still appears all fine and healthy, apart from some (now dried) blood on his lower beak, feet, and feathers between cloaca and tail. I managed to catch him and inspect but couldn't find any obvious cause.

I returned him to the cage. I just hope he'll stay still and nothing more comes of it.

Anything I can add to his food to quicken recovery from blood loss?

Edit: Update 1h later, Pion is still just fine. Just maybe a bit tired.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 25, 2019

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

could be a broken blood feather? has he moulted any largeish feathers recently?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Has Pion been DNA sexed? Any blood out of a bird isn’t good, but you know that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Has Pion been DNA sexed? Any blood out of a bird isn’t good, but you know that.

No, but then he hasn't laid an egg in the 4 years he's lived so far, has very male colors, and is very vocal ;)

Neither of the birds are in a heavy molt right now. I do have a recently dropped (several days ago) flight feather here, but don't remember whose it is.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wall?
Wall?
Hello! :)
Wall?
Wall?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I need that little split-to-pied bub on the far left in my life

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I want a potato birb so badly in my life...but we are full atm with the two conures we do have :( I'm just worried that if I did sneak one in, my husband would kinda figure out that the birb collective is expanding, and it wouldn't go well :( I love the goofy faces and silliness...they make me smile :)

But, the 'tiel dust worries me with a conure...I hear it's not good for conures to have them around cos of it.

(If I had room though I would probably try to sneak one in and see how long till he notices the new one :P)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wall?
Wall?
Hello! :)
Wall?
Wall?

LOL!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Someone finally bought the extremely depressed IRNs in my local pet shop. Awesome! Hopefully the new owners will have some patience with them.

Sadly, the lovely shop has not learned from their previous mistake, and has brought in a new big parrot to replace them... a female eclectus in a tiny cage in the middle of the shop... :(

Sound on:
https://imgur.com/a/MJRpNwf

I heard a bizarre noise when passing by just now and went into the shop to have a look. She sounds like a rusty iron gate closing. Extremely loud! Hopefully she’ll find a new home soon. Also eclectuses almost looks like fake birds to me. Their feathers look like plastic in dazzling red and blue. Incredible bird tbh

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I bet they are charging too much too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Someone finally bought the extremely depressed IRNs in my local pet shop. Awesome! Hopefully the new owners will have some patience with them.

Sadly, the lovely shop has not learned from their previous mistake, and has brought in a new big parrot to replace them... a female eclectus in a tiny cage in the middle of the shop... :(

Sound on:
https://imgur.com/a/MJRpNwf

I heard a bizarre noise when passing by just now and went into the shop to have a look. She sounds like a rusty iron gate closing. Extremely loud! Hopefully she’ll find a new home soon. Also eclectuses almost looks like fake birds to me. Their feathers look like plastic in dazzling red and blue. Incredible bird tbh

That's the default Skype ringtone.

That shop is making me extremely pissed. That's a human 18-month-old in a cage.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Also eclectuses almost looks like fake birds to me.

Always same, male and female!

And while that set-up is... deeply dismaying at best, it's particularly lovely for a ladyekkie. From everything I understand they are super neurotic and need a lot of love and patience and attention. Even by bird standards.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Always same, male and female!

And while that set-up is... deeply dismaying at best, it's particularly lovely for a ladyekkie. From everything I understand they are super neurotic and need a lot of love and patience and attention. Even by bird standards.

It’s very weird. Sent a message to a friend of mine who’s had a lot of birds etc. He said eclectuses go for approximately 2k$ over here in stores and 1k$ from breeders. I think they only want like 3-500$ or something for her here. And it’s such a weird exotic and pricy bird to acquire for a shop that’s located far away from anything and barely have experience with anything but finches and the occasional budgy. I’m at the arctic circle and the nearest avian vet is literally 1000 km away....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The females are supposed to be quite a bit more challenging than the males as well, which just makes me more pissed off. Here's hoping she gets a good owner.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
poo poo drat it I just fed my Senegal a small piece of fettuccine noodle that had some Alfredo sauce on it I am now told contained shallot. It was a very, very thin amount of sauce on maybe a quarter inch noodle I swear. No chunks of shallot or anything in what he got. I'll be watching him like a hawk. What signs might he display if something goes wrong?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He'll be okay; but watch for lethargy, poofy feathers, vomiting, loose/unusual stool, general weirdness. Contact or go to your avian vet if you are very concerned, as always, but I would not be concerned were it my birdie.

Raw garlic/onion/shallot are of much greater concern than well-cooked ones (although cooked ones, of course, shouldn't be consumed either); and if he didn't consume any of the vegetable directly, just had some sauce in which shallots were simmered, I would consider that a very very low possibility of toxicity.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 27, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK thanks. I've kept the little bastard alive 25 years and I'm going to see it through.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

you betcha :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Yeah, you should be fine. I've always read that the danger is more in them chowing down a bulb of garlic than having a tiny bit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/tomwalkerisgood/status/1154800399674761217

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

general weirdness

buddy have you met a bird before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007