Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A short story about Fuckwit McGee:

Watching the cook try to explain to him that a bucket of already processed whole eggs was not like they just shelled the eggs and tossed them in with whole yolks. No these were blended together and he had to stop ordering whole egg buckets and expecting us to make our "5:1" scrambled eggs blend out of it (where it's done by weight: 5 lbs of whites to 1 lb of yolk) was perhaps the dumbest thing ever. It took 20 minutes for him to realize we couldn't just put it through a strainer and he had to order less of it (since we did use whole eggs in another recipe/dish at the time) and more separated eggs.

One of many reasons we did our best to cut him out of the inventory job (that he didn't really want to do anyways as far as we could tell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

A round is a primal cut that is more or less the bootay. They were probably ordering cases of steaks from that area, that would be labled as a round steak of some kind, like bottom round, eye of round, ect, ect.

Is eye of round what it sounds like in that case?! :butt:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

FFT posted:

Reminds me I could do a write-up of a local restaurant that accidentally ordered 10 times as much wagyu as they needed right as they first opened if anyone's interested

My significant other at the time was a kitchen manager there, they've since shuttered

....so your SO at the time sunk them?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

She was not in charge of making orders, no. It was a large place, there were many kitchen managers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I always get a laugh out of SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS bitching about how increased pay will ruin them, and go on to tell you that their labor cost went from 30% to whatever. Lol holy poo poo you ran 30% labor? Your pay isn't the problem, dipshit.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I always get a laugh out of SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS bitching about how increased pay will ruin them, and go on to tell you that their labor cost went from 30% to whatever. Lol holy poo poo you ran 30% labor? Your pay isn't the problem, dipshit.

That number actually isn't out of the ordinary in fast casual type places if you include the GM.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

That number actually isn't out of the ordinary in fast casual type places if you include the GM.

Yeah, and how many places close a year?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
So you want labor to be paid more, and maybe you want more help because you’re short staffed all the time, and you want labor to be less than 30%?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Maestro posted:

So you want labor to be paid more, and maybe you want more help because you’re short staffed all the time, and you want labor to be less than 30%?

If labor is at 30% and you're short staffed then the way your business is structured is broken.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If labor is at 30% and you're short staffed then the way your business is structured is broken.

Rude to destroy my straw man like that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Not significantly more than any other small business

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Whats a good labor/ food cost percent?

The rule of thumb I always heard (this is somewhat outdated, I think) is that most places run 29-30% food cost and 30~ish percent labor depending on how big it is; and 5-10% overhead. is that rule of thumb still accurate, or is there more to it?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Plenty, but what actually happens far more often is franchisees are signed to multi-unit agreements and have to operate three stores that barely break even (or don't at all) to keep the four that make bank because otherwise they'll lose their territory.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

This is the point I'm making. If you pay your people peanuts and still run 30%, you are loving up. Your food cost is jacked, or you book keep badly, etc. Owners are lightning quick to blame the labor as the reason why they make no money, when almost 100% of the time its because they can't run a fuckin restaurant.

I just brought all my kitchen staff to 15 and run 20% labor on a slow day. I also run a 23% food cost. Strange. Hmm.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 28, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheParadigm posted:

Whats a good labor/ food cost percent?

The rule of thumb I always heard (this is somewhat outdated, I think) is that most places run 29-30% food cost and 30~ish percent labor depending on how big it is; and 5-10% overhead. is that rule of thumb still accurate, or is there more to it?

Depends entirely on what business segment you're in. When I was managing the bar/grill, I shot for 22%, but we were also using more labor to do some stuff in-house that kept our food costs down so I didn't feel bad about paying a prep cook. I -really- don't miss that gig, business was so uneven that it was a bitch to predict and the GM's bullshit led to me pulling some seriously unsustainable work/life shenanegains to keep numbers good.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

This is the point I'm making. If you pay your people peanuts and still run 30%, you are loving up. Your food cost is jacked, or you book keep badly, etc. Owners are lightning quick to blame the labor as the reason why they make no money, when almost 100% of the time its because they can't run a fuckin restaurant.

I just brought all my kitchen staff to 15 and run 20% labor on a slow day. I also run a 23% food cost. Strange. Hmm.

The reason I specified fast casual is because labor cost includes FOH, which is usually not tipped labor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah but I've only ever worked in states where you still have to pay the full minimum wage to FOH regardless of how much they make in tips and everywhere I've worked managers would freak out if labor was regularly at 30%

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Yeah but I've only ever worked in states where you still have to pay the full minimum wage to FOH regardless of how much they make in tips and everywhere I've worked managers would freak out if labor was regularly at 30%

it's no different in states where tipped servers make 2.13/hr btw

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
How is paying half your staff 82% less not different?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Anyone in the business in Ontario? Charlie Burger wine program is giving away a few cases of wine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0mDdaVH7P7/?igshid=1r1ddlr1evj8p

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lost freezer in the bowels of the airport

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you can't lose a freezer if it doesn't run

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Big ol’ first today. Had a table of young men sit in my section and cat call the host so aggressively that she was afraid to go into my section and bus tables. So I politely asked that they be respectful and courteous and not cat-call the staff because it makes them uncomfortable. They apologized, all of them no-tipped, and then immediately upon leaving they called to complain to my boss and demand both an apology from me, and a refund.

They received neither.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
good

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
HELLLLLLLLLL YEAH BACK UP YOUR COWORKERS

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

HELLLLLLLLLL YEAH BACK UP YOUR COWORKERS

Backing up the hosts: good
Getting backed up by the general manager: great
Having the owner call and tell us that we all did the right thing: the best

Obligatory: https://youtu.be/YWRhDMBKLLg

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The last time we had a table aggressively cat call and otherwise make the female staff feel massively uncomfortable, we called security... who said they wouldn’t do anything about it, it was just words.

Then the bartender went over and impressively ripped them a new one. When security complained that the guest were complaining, our foh supervisor said she wouldn’t do anything about it, it was just words.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Backing up the hosts: good
Getting backed up by the general manager: great
Having the owner call and tell us that we all did the right thing: the best

Obligatory: https://youtu.be/YWRhDMBKLLg

All of this is good, but that song is fantastic, and thank you. That poo poo is going into the rotation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How is this not fraud?

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1158739362684788737?s=19

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This iteration of the tech bubble is just apps for things that are not specifically illegal yet and probably won't broadly be made such soon because of political deadlock.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Goddamn, just when you thought the delivery companies couldn't get any shittier. I thought Favor was supposed to be the worst, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I refuse to use any of this poo poo anymore

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 7, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My dad is a red seal chef and now mostly just does food delivery in Vancouver. Can't beat picking your own hours and apparently the pay isn't the worst.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My dad is a red seal chef and now mostly just does food delivery in Vancouver. Can't beat picking your own hours and apparently the pay isn't the worst.

My understanding is that the delivery/pickup model can work out well if you plan for that as your business model from day 1, build it into your costs, etc. and simply forego having a full service restaurant. It's absolutely killing a lot of small mom and pop joints though, who are struggling to deal with a much higher volume of orders and very little (or no) margin on anything coming in from Grubhub et. al. I haven't used any of those services in quite awhile after finding out just how rough it could make it for a restaurant to survive.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The problem is that is has seriously cannibalized carry out business for a lot of places, but pretty much everyone is wising up and jacking up their prices for third party services to offset their cut.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Am still a Sysco driver. This job sucks. I hate everyone.

That is all.

Also what do you do with those 40 lb boxes of cooler chicken that are just soaked in salmonella juices? Sometimes I pick them up and they're just already like that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

Am still a Sysco driver. This job sucks. I hate everyone.

That is all.

Also what do you do with those 40 lb boxes of cooler chicken that are just soaked in salmonella juices? Sometimes I pick them up and they're just already like that.

Cook them

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cook them real good.

No seriously that's really all you can do. If you throw it out the next set of cases is likely to be even worse. There's a reason that anyone who undercooks chicken deserves to be beaten halfway to death and left bleeding in the alley out back. Doubly so for managers who insist "it's totally fine". :argh:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm remembering all the "medium chicken" posts from the food crimes thread is pyf and getting my stomach turned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The chicken we get at the place I work at comes double bagged in what apparently is a half plastic half kevlar material. Those things never loving leak.