Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Unboxed a Miami Nights Team Captain last night :toot: I knew my pages upon pages of unopened crates would pay off eventually, even though I only had 4 that gave guaranteed unusuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

TF2 Classic is a mod, but it’s TF2 alpha/beta instead of release, so it’s funky.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
UPDATES !

1. All glitched hats have been removed from SCM and returned to inventories.
2. Most if not all glitched hats appear to be tradelocked (not tradable or marketable).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Anarch posted:

UPDATES !

2. Most if not all glitched hats appear to be tradelocked (not tradable or marketable).

That seems like a alright way to handle this. dont take away the things you unboxed but make them unable to be circulated.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seems like a good solution to me. People who bought/unboxed a cool hat for themselves can keep it, and people who like doing the trade economy thing don’t have to worry about the market being flooded.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Booted this up after ~4 years of not playing and, drat, this game is still amazing.

Any goon servers still around?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm fine with a tradelock. I don't trade away the really neat drops I get, they're like little RNG trophies. I still have an australium rocket launcher from my second completed MVM tour of Two Cities :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
In all the time I've played TF2, I've never gotten an Unusual. Then again, I've never opened crates, so that's probably why.

...I think I might have said something similar to this a few pages back.

What is the deal with Unusuals, anyway?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

There was going to be a mod to let you play TF2 as it was back in 2008, but it got yanked due to some issues with how it was to be implemented.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

What's the deal with designer clothing and sports cars? They are (lol were) status symbols and make you stand-out against the rest.

-

So I'm having a great time reading all the salty people on Reddit complaining about 1) abusing the bug and being stuck with lovely unsellable unusuals and 2) not abusing the bug and wanting Valve to give them free stuff because they... didn't abuse the bug?

Someone bought 20+ unusuals for pennies, now cannot sell them, and wants Valve to compensate them for the price they SHOULD be at, since, "Tampering with already sold product is illegal"

They should call this the Summer Salt update

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have zero sympathy for people who spent money on glitch unusuals to flip them and are now unable to. Anyone could have seen this coming. Sorry you lost out on your terrible investment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

In all the time I've played TF2, I've never gotten an Unusual. Then again, I've never opened crates, so that's probably why.

...I think I might have said something similar to this a few pages back.

It makes it easier for me to click on heads

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Just had the wildest match I've had in quite a time. People got to talking about trans issues (by way of someone bringing up pokemon lol), and they were actually talking instead of just spamming binds or spouting off memes. The supportive outnumbered the critical, and one of the main "against" people seemed to actually be considering what was being said, and I honestly think his perspective had shifted significantly by the end. It all culminated in a really intense round on Fastlane of all maps to boot.

TF2 is: so good.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Valve is damned if they do and damned if they don't. There's a lot of people that may or may not have known what they were getting into, thousands of glitched hats (minimum, could be tens of thousands) already changed hands on the marketplace by people with varying levels of knowledge on it.

That and there's nearly 200 countries in this world and they're going to have to resolve it in a way that is satisfactory for most of them, and I imagine just going "sorry you won at lootbox gambling too much because of glitch, so we're making your normally transferrable prize/shiny locked to you forever and worth nothing compared to the prize people exchange for other games/prizes" and throwing their money back isn't going to fly even if their ToS claims they can do that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think they're damned if anything. This is both the simplest and the easiest solution and I can't really imagine anyone being mad about it save for the people who were trying to make a quick buck.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

lovely Wizard posted:

Valve is damned if they do and damned if they don't. There's a lot of people that may or may not have known what they were getting into, thousands of glitched hats (minimum, could be tens of thousands) already changed hands on the marketplace by people with varying levels of knowledge on it.

That and there's nearly 200 countries in this world and they're going to have to resolve it in a way that is satisfactory for most of them, and I imagine just going "sorry you won at lootbox gambling too much because of glitch, so we're making your normally transferrable prize/shiny locked to you forever and worth nothing compared to the prize people exchange for other games/prizes" and throwing their money back isn't going to fly even if their ToS claims they can do that.

Somehow I doubt Valve is too concerned about being damned by people who thought it was a good idea to invest in glitched video game hats.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Anarch posted:

UPDATES !

I opened two, and it seems like nothing's been done to them - they're still listed as being available for trading at the start of august, just like they were when I unopened them. I'm guessing Valve let slide those cases where someone just unboxed one or two (most people I'm guessing), and hit hard those who were trying to abuse it (people ready and willing to spend thousands on hats ie. hat barons).

and hey if the hats in my inventory are gonna actually stay marketable, and I can sell them after I get bored of TF2 again, I'll have made a net profit, especially since one of them's an all class

edit: wait no Valve has just been lazy I just realized, since its already untradeable for a while they just didn't flag them to be untradable while they think about what to do

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Headshot Kills strange part took a huge nosedive as well.

No idea whether it was in one of the popular crates (how would I even find out? TF2 wiki doesn't really bother to list strange parts) or if the economy as a whole is collapsing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It was, it was in 82 or 85, one of the affected crates.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
drat missed my chance to unlock an unusual scout hat. Oh well.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Ariong posted:

Somehow I doubt Valve is too concerned about being damned by people who thought it was a good idea to invest in glitched video game hats.

Steam market has a feature to automatically buy hats if they reach a certain price. Literally thousands of these were sold that way with no knowledge of the buyer. Not to mention people who just figured the prices were tanking because new hats came out. So a lot of people legitimately didn't know.

This is going to be hilarious to see how this works out and I legit hope they let the hats stay tradeable and the unusual market crashes once and for all.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 27, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A price crash is actually better for valve anyway; most people do unusual trading in grey markets for cash. No one is going to try to find a middleman if their hat is only worth like $15-20, they'll just use the market, and valve gets a cut there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This entire fiasco has been hilarious. :allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Araxxor posted:

This entire fiasco has been hilarious. :allears:

For any one that hasn't heard this. Old now (2016) but still good. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grapplejack posted:

A price crash is actually better for valve anyway; most people do unusual trading in grey markets for cash. No one is going to try to find a middleman if their hat is only worth like $15-20, they'll just use the market, and valve gets a cut there.

This is good for hatcoin.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If anyone's really upset valve could offer to buy back any glitched hat for the price paid (if bought on the market or traded-for) and then just destroy it.

I vaguely know someone who tried that poo poo with the US government; she "recently" "found" some extremely rare and valuable coins in a safety deposit box that her late father style from the mint decades and decades ago and tried to talk the government into buying them back from her for half the estimated value. The government just seized them as stolen property instead.

crabf
May 29, 2015

lovely Wizard posted:

thousands of glitched hats (minimum, could be tens of thousands)

quick note here but within the first 10 minutes of the glitch being common knowledge 14,000 crate 85s were sold on SCM and some people are estimating the total amount of unusuals unboxed during the fiasco around 100,000, give or take

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

crabf posted:

quick note here but within the first 10 minutes of the glitch being common knowledge 14,000 crate 85s were sold on SCM and some people are estimating the total amount of unusuals unboxed during the fiasco around 100,000, give or take

Insane.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think best case scenario is Valve deciding that it's not good to have such minimal attention being payed to a product that has a ton of money being cycled around/through it. Doubt that'll happen though.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I wonder how much money Valve made out of this. All the keys being bought, all the market transactions where people buy crates&unusuals... Its definitely gonna be quite a spike.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
We were warned years ago!

(I miss TF2 comics)

Anarch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2019

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Anarch posted:

We were warned years ago!

(I miss TF2 comics)

I miss TF2 everything. It feels more like we have a husk of a game left after they handed the weapon balance changes over to some other people a year or two ago. So much fun stuff was nerfed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
from my memory all the weapon changes was poo poo people have been complaining about since forever so i dont really get that one.
the whole spirit of the game is lost mostly in that the involvement from its creators is gone, theres no more funny images showing upcoming stuff, no more funny tie in comics, no more funny blog posts, no more funny videos, etc

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm still sad they nerfed the Sandman/Cleaver combo for no reason, it was one of my favourite gimmick loadouts. I don't think I ever ran into a single person complaining about it

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dang, this update really riled up the hackers, i feel like were booting one every other game im in. Some obvious like the spinning snipers others not so much like that huntsman sniper that knew where i was hiding despite never breaking cloak.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 28, 2019

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Its good to see the spirit of old TF2 silliness still lives on. Just had an amazing game on dustbowl where the vast majority of players were just goofing off, about half the server being demos spamming emotes in a giant circle, most other people lingering around that doing silly stuff, and the Anti-Cap Squad protecting the cart from the couple of people trying to cap, and then the t-pose heavies near the very end just before people started to leave. Now that's the TF2 silliness I remember.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still sad they nerfed the Sandman/Cleaver combo for no reason, it was one of my favourite gimmick loadouts. I think I ever ran into people complaining about it every fuckin game but that's okay people complain about everything that kills them in the shoot-em-up videogame

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still sad they nerfed the Sandman/Cleaver combo for no reason, it was one of my favourite gimmick loadouts. I don't think I ever ran into a single person complaining about it
Pretend I've linked Sandsmith bitching about it endlessly.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Previously you could easily tell when someone was a scammer because their backpack was private but now they’ve started going public with a bunch of glitched unusuals to appear legit. Small investment high return I imagine 😕

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Broken Cog posted:

Same, seriously, the reasons they gave for nerfing it were utter bullshit too. The ball and cleaver even used different archs, if you could hit someone with a ball, then managed to hit them with the cleaver, you deserved that kill just as much or not more than any sniper that clicked a head or spy that managed to get in poking range of someone.

And the "bug" on the righteous bison. And nerfing the caber to the point of it being a straight up downgrade. Goddamn this game is a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel that way about the axetinguisher.

The puff and sting play was one of the best bits of counter attack the pyro had against heavies. It was rewarding play and helped a great deal.