Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gsync is nice but the input limitation of 1 DP and 1 HDMI is annoying for multi input setups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

AMD “fine wine” was just AMD writing really lovely drivers back during the 290 days. You don’t see fine wine working with the 480 vs the 1060 to that extent anymore

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the issue with nvidia is more with your personal perception. Both companies are putting out good and bad products and offering reasonable levels of support.

Bleeding edge tech being buggy has been the norm since forever. Be happy with the healthy mid range component market where value is extremely high with very little compromise.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Paging Anime Schoolgirl. Anime Schoolgirl, please come to the customer service desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxYGZgcXp8

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Paging Anime Schoolgirl. Anime Schoolgirl, please come to the customer service desk.

:prepop:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I feel the 1050ti is the best choice for those old Dell/HP boxes. At that point they're capable of playing any AAA title at 1080p with decent graphics settings, even paired with an old Sandy Bridge i5. Worth the cost for the massive added benefit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

doctorthefonz posted:

there are a bunch all over the place unless yer referring to the super (or are not in the US)

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2070/

I mean 2070 supers, none of the microcenters near have them in stock

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

I feel the 1050ti is the best choice for those old Dell/HP boxes. At that point they're capable of playing any AAA title at 1080p with decent graphics settings, even paired with an old Sandy Bridge i5. Worth the cost for the massive added benefit.

1050s aren’t bad. I played hundreds of hours of elite dangerous in VR with one. They’re capable if you turn some settings down

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have a 1050ti 3x.series i5 dell refurb and use it a lot despite access to other systems ama

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s so good to see you happy!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

That’s my KVM/QEMU passthrough card. It’s not even choked by being in a 16x slot with only a 4X PCI-E 2.0 link. Gets 75% performance compared to my 970 and only on slot power, that’s good poo poo.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

I have a 1050ti 3x.series i5 dell refurb and use it a lot despite access to other systems ama
You’re gonna get 60fps on anything on medium(high and ultra on older stuff) if you got the RAM, so yeah why bother?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That being said, apparently higher end video cards push the PCIe power lanes on many of those older Dells and HPs beyond their rated spec of ~20w, the 1050ti can peak to the 70s.

That being said I have two of them, both with 1050tis and they've been rock solid for over a year with heavy use. Hopefully they don't catch fire one day!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
PCI-E is supposed to be rated for 75 watts from the slot (For 16x cards) so Dell and HP are making up their own standards if they're not conforming to that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most SFF business PCs are non-standard.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150906212154/http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168353.pdf
On page 22.

Not sure about Dell though, but I recall it was a thing.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2019

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My PowerEdge T20 said to keep the add-in card to something like 20W or less but it was explicitly to protect the 280W PSU. Considering the entire rest of the system uses <100W under load, I felt safe to run with an RX 460 and I haven't seen any problems yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SCheeseman posted:

The point here is that it is a decently-powerful card in a form factor that is simultaneously both low profile AND single-slot. You can get cards that are one or the other anywhere from Gigabyte, KFA, PNY, and so forth, but then you run into problems like, blocking the only other loving slot that you need for a second RS232 or better networking or some poo poo, because that second slot is RIGHT loving UP AGAINST THE POWER SUPPLY. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, YOU loving GX280S.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can I ask why people are trying to cram gaming cards in SFF Dells?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

id imagine they happen to have one around the house or in the office. a lot i've seen have surprisingly decent CPUs and RAM. less than $200 opens up a whole world of pc gamin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:ok:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So in order to redeem the wolfenstein code for the rtx cards i have to go through bathesda and go through Epic again for control?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ughhhh posted:

So in order to redeem the wolfenstein code for the rtx cards i have to go through bathesda and go through Epic again for control?

Yes to both. With Wolfenstein at least, you have to install it through the launcher, but after that, you don't actually need to have it open to run the game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can get em dirt cheap off of lease from big companies. A lot of enterprise clients have a mandatory replace program, like every 3-4 years. So stuff like Skylake 6500's with 16gb of ram are showing up now. Throw in a half height GPU, and you can get a great cheapo gaming computer for highschool/college kids.

Unfortunately enough people are aware of it now that its getting way harder to find the kind of comical used deals on old Dells that you used to, though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Yes to both. With Wolfenstein at least, you have to install it through the launcher, but after that, you don't actually need to have it open to run the game.

so many accounts, so many launchers.... gonna need a dedicated card soon just to run all those launchers running in the background.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hopefully GOG's universal launcher actually manages to release and work with everything like promised.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Enos Cabell posted:

Hopefully GOG's universal launcher actually manages to release and work with everything like promised.

I got into the closed beta, and as far as I can tell, it looks like it still requires everything to be installed and at least running when you launch the game. At least the idea of a unified friends list above the clients sounds good?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They have the machine and they're idiots

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ilkhan posted:

They have the machine and they're idiots

:rolleyes:

I challenge you to build a better $200-300 SFF gaming PC. No, "buy a console" is not an acceptable answer.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some of y'all have never built computers on an extreme budget, I see.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
If a capable half height/low profile GPU exists and the PSU can handle it, why not? If you’re willing to deal with the fan noise at least.

It’s not like there’s a big difference in CPU power these days in any segment of the market Haswell i5 and beyond.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Low-profile and single-slot:

More than I'd pay to make an old Dell capable of playing Fortnite. If your budget requires getting an old business desktop, never ever get the SFF ones. The mini-towers are better, not just for expansion room, but they also run a lot cooler and more reliably in my experience.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i have a SFF dell that can run every game out today on decent settings and was less than $300 all in , if you need somebody to explain to you why thats beneficial in a thread where people are talking about $1200 consumer video cards youre either being disingenuous or the answers youre truly seeking are beyond the scope of this thread

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
And 1080p medium is a good bit better than what the base model consoles are pushing these days, so it’s worth it if you happened to have and old OEM SFF fall on your lap for cheap or free.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aparently Yeston sells the 640 shader unit version and those can be unlocked to 768 shader units via driver/bios shenanigans. It's a pretty neat thing indeed

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TheCoach posted:

Aparently Yeston sells the 640 shader unit version and those can be unlocked to 768 shader units via driver/bios shenanigans. It's a pretty neat thing indeed

I'd be so tempted to pull the shroud & ghetto mod a bigger fan just to see what kind of OC it would push, but I'm dumb like that lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have, from time to time, wondered what would happen if you took a standard 60mm fan, built a forcing duct to mount such a thing onto the end of a half-height card, and see how that works out, see if the higher flow improves cooling.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 29, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had something like this for doing exactly that https://www.ebay.com/itm/60mm-to-80mm-Fan-Adapter-type-C-Converter-change-mounting-PC-Modding-Mod-Custom/282312588838. It was louder than my 120 mm native coolers, but it worked for what I was doing at the time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have, from time to time, wondered what would happen if you took a standard 60mm fan, built a forcing duct to mount such a thing onto the end of a half-height card, and see how that works out, see if the higher flow improves cooling.

This would be the worst Linus Tech Tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

This would be the worst Linus Tech Tips.

Worse than the actual time he tried to build a whole-room watercooling loop out of copper pipe and ended up turning the whole loop into a radiator?