Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just started this game, will it be particularly hard to recruit Leonie and Hilda if I'm Black Eagles?

Recruiting a specific unit is not hard at all. The key is to focus on getting C/B supports with her via gifts and dragging her along to lunches and choir practice. That lowers her stat requirements, which in itself isn't too bad if you focus on them from other professors.

We don't know on the latter other than possibly male-locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

is this like the other games, where there are recruitable enemy units that you have to TALK to, and if you fight them instead they're dead?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just started this game, will it be particularly hard to recruit Leonie and Hilda if I'm Black Eagles?

Leonie will join straight away if you're M!Byleth. (Sylvain will join for F!Byleth, by the way)

I think people forget that you have like a full year to pump your stats, skills, and supports to attract students.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smirking_Serpent posted:

is this like the other games, where there are recruitable enemy units that you have to TALK to, and if you fight them instead they're dead?

No, every playable character is automatically recruited or recruited at your home base before the time skip. No one pops up on a map and needs to be recruited with no fanfare

Coucho Marx posted:

Leonie will join straight away if you're M!Byleth. (Sylvain will join for F!Byleth, by the way)

I think people forget that you have like a full year to pump your stats, skills, and supports to attract students.

This definitely isn't true for Leonie. I'm Beagles M!Byleth and had to raise lances to C rank, get whatever the dex threshold was (I had 22 when she finally joined) and get a C rank support before she joined. It was like every other student.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 27, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Is there a way to rotate the iso controls to the right? I'm used to have up be up-right not up-left.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Just got this. My only other FE game was Heroes. Do the Smash Bros show up in this or is each FE game a different universe?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Zore posted:

This definitely isn't true for Leonie. I'm Beagles M!Byleth and had to raise lances to C rank, get whatever the dex threshold was (I had 22 when she finally joined) and get a C rank support before she joined. It was like every other student.

drat, must have gotten the wrong info. Sorry!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

Just got this. My only other FE game was Heroes. Do the Smash Bros show up in this or is each FE game a different universe?

most are different universes i think but pretty good odds some of the dlc will be like 'oh weird a portal into the multiverse here comes chrom and lucina!!!'

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the nice polite units are on the blue team but it appears to be the least popular, which just makes me the hippest professor

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
My fishing experience so far has been only fishing on special days, and "Hey, is it a red or yellow? If yes catch it, if no then Sothis, time rewind please (aka load save)" Each perfected red/gold seems to give around 30 teacher points, so imagine they add up and teacher points seem like the stat to rule them all given how you need activity points for so much, from recruiting students to unlocking Faith Strength to getting the ability to change movement types as you can't set yourself a group work position or tutor yourself in riding in the class time.

I haven't really noticed anything special about the fishing times though: it's still mostly blue, quite a few red and only the occasional gold. Am I missing something, or is my experience twisted because of how I basically only fish on special days? Is there some Persona 4 boss fish that you can only encounter on days the pool glows gold?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Gyoru posted:

Hilda is a diamond in the rough and can shine in any of the Axe classes (armored knight for a few levels to get her durability up)
Marianne is the best healer among all the houses with early access to Physic
Lysithea is the only one who learns dark magic naturally and is an excellent Dancer candidate or Mortal Savant if you're crazy
Leonie wants to graft Jeralt's face to her face so she's a good cav/paladin
Raphael is a one dimensional boring character who can punch/axe thing good but no think
Lorenz's paralogue gives you an OP accessory
Ignatz wears glasses and is forgotten

Ignatz is a kind gentle masculine soul and I will brook no defamation of his name

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Someone tell me bad things about Hilda so I won’t regret not being able to recruit her

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really with Byleth was not a silent protagonist. I generally don't have an issue with silent protagonists, but it bugs me more here than it does in something like persona or smt. It just feels awkward when literally everything else is fully vocied and everyone has something to say. Especially when there are one-selection """"choices"""" that exist purely so Byleth does not have to actually speak a line

Like at least voice his thoughts, come on.

No wonder they're bothering to replace his VA, there's almost nothing to replace.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Just got Edelgard's B support.

uh, gently caress.

Well the crest meme did not age well :v:

And if this is heading where I think it is, I feel like she's right

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gyoru posted:

Hilda is a diamond in the rough and can shine in any of the Axe classes (armored knight for a few levels to get her durability up)
Marianne is the best healer among all the houses with early access to Physic
Lysithea is the only one who learns dark magic naturally and is an excellent Dancer candidate or Mortal Savant if you're crazy
Leonie wants to graft Jeralt's face to her face so she's a good cav/paladin
Raphael is a one dimensional boring character who can punch/axe thing good but no think
Lorenz's paralogue gives you an OP accessory
Ignatz wears glasses and is forgotten

Why do you suggest making Lysithea a Dancer? Your dancer should be whoever is otherwise the worst unit in your army, because all you want your Dancer to do every turn is dance. They should only ever see combat on enemy phase, and Lysithea is perhaps the worst enemy phase unit in the game.

Dancer can use magic in the same way that Commoner and Noble can: the number of uses for every spell is halved. You also lose out on the nice class skills of all the magical classes. They gave Dancer magic access just so that if you made your glass cannon mage your Dancer, she wouldn't be completely hopeless if she needed to do combat for some reason.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zore posted:

Just got Edelgard's B support.

uh, gently caress.

Well the crest meme did not age well :v:

And if this is heading where I think it is, I feel like she's right

You should poach Lysithea.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoran posted:

Why do you suggest making Lysithea a Dancer? Your dancer should be whoever is otherwise the worst unit in your army, because all you want your Dancer to do every turn is dance. They should only ever see combat on enemy phase, and Lysithea is perhaps the worst enemy phase unit in the game.

Dancer can use magic in the same way that Commoner and Noble can: the number of uses for every spell is halved. You also lose out on the nice class skills of all the magical classes. They gave Dancer magic access just so that if you made your glass cannon mage your Dancer, she wouldn't be completely hopeless if she needed to do combat for some reason.

Oh boy dancer Ashe here I come-

(I’m hoping that once I get him high enough level to actually promote him into archer, the bonuses will improve bows. In the meantime, bows are as annoying as ever.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I bother buying torches, door/chest keys, etc.? Or will I generally know in advance if I'm gonna need that kind of thing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Should I bother buying torches, door/chest keys, etc.? Or will I generally know in advance if I'm gonna need that kind of thing?

You can buy them when you're in the deployment screen before the map if you need them. I haven't bothered stocking up otherwise.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised no one has commented on the month concept art and narration for helping with world building as I am really enjoying them.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Dumb question maybe, but does the game come with a manual? My physical pre-order from Amazon didn't have one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hit Man posted:

Dumb question maybe, but does the game come with a manual? My physical pre-order from Amazon didn't have one.
Most games in 2019 only come with digital manuals, I can't recall the last game that came with one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I took me until month 10 before I discovered you can hold B to run during monastery segments.

I am dumb.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Anyone who isn’t mounted can pound their enemies to sludge
No though? Monk can't fist and I assume most other magic classes can't either.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Are we sure Hilda can't be poached? I mean, there were implications in the official preview stuff that implied she filled a retainer role, but then there were claims a week ago or whatever that stated recruiting her was tied to some decision at a certain point in the school section.

And, more relevantly, she actually HAS a "Recruit" selection option. Which Hubert (and presumably Dedue) most definitely do not.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 27, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised no one has commented on the month concept art and narration for helping with world building as I am really enjoying them.

It's seriously great
When it first happened I Thought it was just for the first month as dress setting but no it's every month (as dress setting).

Between the this and echoes I think another thing they learned from Fates was, wait, people LOVE lore and world building!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

rannum posted:

I really with Byleth was not a silent protagonist. I generally don't have an issue with silent protagonists, but it bugs me more here than it does in something like persona or smt. It just feels awkward when literally everything else is fully vocied and everyone has something to say. Especially when there are one-selection """"choices"""" that exist purely so Byleth does not have to actually speak a line

Like at least voice his thoughts, come on.

No wonder they're bothering to replace his VA, there's almost nothing to replace.

I'm actually tentatively okay with silent Byleth on the basis that Sothis already sort of fills the role of voicing Byleth's thoughts, and a fully voiced Byleth and Sothis both reacting to plot events would almost be TOO much chatter.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Just a question: did anyone invite Sylvain to help with dealing with his brother in Black Eagles Chp5, and if so does anything special happen? I'm about to hit that and wondering whether I should bother.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get some extra dialogue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

rannum posted:

I'm still going eldegards especially since I can poach a few faves off claude's

I read this as "I'm still going edgelords"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm actually tentatively okay with silent Byleth on the basis that Sothis already sort of fills the role of voicing Byleth's thoughts, and a fully voiced Byleth and Sothis both reacting to plot events would almost be TOO much chatter.
It doesn't feel like she's voicing Byleth's thoughts, though. At least not at this point. Especially when we have things like the red canyon scene where she & Byleth are having an actual back & forth about the after chapter event. Otherwise her insight feels more like...insight into her, than it happening to align with what byleth is thinking

i'd say "which i guess isnt much!" wrt to the whole teaching thing but everyone but Seteth is pretty blase about that whole thing. When Heroes really leaned into the being a teacher thing, I was hoping some of that would be from Three Houses itself, some internal monologue or whatever about trying their best to teach their students but....guess....not.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

rannum posted:

i'd say "which i guess isnt much!" wrt to the whole teaching thing but everyone but Seteth is pretty blase about that whole thing. When Heroes really leaned into the being a teacher thing, I was hoping some of that would be from Three Houses itself, some internal monologue or whatever about trying their best to teach their students but....guess....not.
No see, you're supposed to provide that inner monologue because... the character is you!!

I'm actually pretty sure I prefer this type of silent protagonist to the aggressively-bland-and-inoffensive-everyman characterisation that other stories go with for their self-insert protagonists. At least I can imagine the character to be interesting without interference now.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 27, 2019

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Lord Koth posted:

Are we sure Hilda can't be poached? I mean, there were implications in the official preview stuff that implied she filled a retainer role, but then there were claims a week ago or whatever that stated recruiting her was tied to some decision at a certain point in the school section.

And, more relevantly, she actually HAS a "Recruit" selection option. Which Hubert (and presumably Dedue) most definitely do not.

There's apparently something that makes her possible to recruit, but only if you're male.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does getting the early dark seal in chapter 6 actually unlock dark mage early or is it just gonna like, save me 1000g when I unlock it at the normal time

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm still pretty early in the game and I ran out of the certification seals real quick, and I'm not sure if the game told me how to get more of them and I spaced out on it or if it's just something that hasn't unlocked yet? It feels weird that half my class are still stuck as nobles/commoners.

e: vvv :suicide: I don't know why that didn't even occur to me. And I've been to the shop. Multiple times.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 27, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, got the game despite my worries, seeing how everybody's talking about it. So far, it's good!

The Beagles are definitely more likable than anyone in Fates. But to be fair, that's not particularly hard.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game and I ran out of the certification seals real quick, and I'm not sure if the game told me how to get more of them and I spaced out on it or if it's just something that hasn't unlocked yet? It feels weird that half my class are still stuck as nobles/commoners.

You can buy 'em from the shop for 500 each.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Whoever said this game was too easy is a liar. Hard mode is well...hard. :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I definitely had a "B Squad" in Golden Stags consisting of some boring characters, but after accidentally getting a bunch of support convos and getting a feel for some of the characters, I dig them a lot more. Except Ignatz who's just a nerd I'm going to dump the second I recruit someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So what do you guys use your professor points for in exploration other completing the occasional quest? Instruction from other teachers, I'd assume, since that and seminars are the only way to get Byleth's weapon ranks up that isn't grinding enemies?