Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Len posted:

I read The Boys and knew what I was going into but I was kind of expecting it to tone it down a little.

Episode 1
Tv ma, adult content, graphic language, graphic violence, nudity, strong sexual content, rape

It has Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen as creators/executive producers, just like on Preacher. I imagine if you're going to have them after that show, you're giving them free reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mierenneuker posted:

It has Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen as creators/executive producers, just like on Preacher. I imagine if you're going to have them after that show, you're giving them free reign.

I never watched Preacher because outside a few moments the series fell flat with me. How was it?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like Preacher because it's kind of out-of-left-field & isn't beholden to the source material.

Someone once said the show is a fanfic of the comics & I can totally see it.

I need to catch up on season 3 before the final season starts up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It has its moments, but I don't think it's an amazing show. If you had to provide a synopsis of a season, you realize barely anything made progress.

I mostly watch it for Hitler. Quote me on that, AMC.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Preacher is good, especially if you've never read the comic because the first season's ending is bananas.

It does an alright job of handling religion. I mean, it's offensive alright, but strangely reverental too. Also each season appears to have one really great over the top fight scene played to an incredibly inappropriate song like Uptown Girl.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, just started watching The Boys - and seeing Simon Pegg doing an American accent is just wrong.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jul 26, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also doesn't the preacher comic feature the Jackie Earl Hayley guy loving a dummy made of meat? The shows replacement Sobbing over a baby made of meat was way less edge lordy, but also way more of an emotional punch.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also doesn't the preacher comic feature the Jackie Earl Hayley guy loving a dummy made of meat? The shows replacement Sobbing over a baby made of meat was way less edge lordy, but also way more of an emotional punch.

Yes, Odin Quincannon was basically some pervy little creep that got dunked on repeatedly by Jesse in the comics during a detour, and a terrifying nihilist born of tragedy and a force to be reckoned with in the show.

I still have to get to season 3 to see how they handle his grandmother and her crew, but Jesse is less of an awesome cowboy Jesus, and the antagonists are more sympathetic, except for maybe Herr Starr. Cassidy of all people is something of the group's moral center. Arseface is much less of a joke. The plot threads are way different and many new supernatural elements are added and expanded on. Way less 90s-ness.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jul 26, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I enjoy Preacher a ton and look forward to the new season starting in a couple weeks. Never read the comics but the show is just entertainingly insane.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What about Band of Brothers? Felt like their sounds were the most plausible.

Incoming artillery fire is pretty accurate, I seem to remember, although most war movies seem to get it right these days.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

Although it looks like they got rid of Terror

So the best scene from the comic isn’t going to be there, got it.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
A bit off topic but there's an FPS called Squad which apparently has extremely realistic gunfire etc. It's definitely visceral, but I've never been in a gun fight so I can't personally confirm.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bussamove posted:

So the best scene from the comic isn’t going to be there, got it.

I'm only two and a half episodes in but there's been no Terror.

No female either yet although there's an episode titled after her

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Ok, "Kaos Brief", I get it. The main character is an annoying youtuber. I do not need to see him doing like 500 takes of his signature signout message. I want to see him get hosed up by the aliens enough as it is, you don't need to try so hard to make him unlikeable.

For a found footage movie I never heard of before though this is actually pretty good. While I enjoy the minimalistic ones it's nice to see some production value once in a while. Even if every character in the movie is a douche.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Ok, "Kaos Brief", I get it. The main character is an annoying youtuber. I do not need to see him doing like 500 takes of his signature signout message. I want to see him get hosed up by the aliens enough as it is, you don't need to try so hard to make him unlikeable.

For a found footage movie I never heard of before though this is actually pretty good. While I enjoy the minimalistic ones it's nice to see some production value once in a while. Even if every character in the movie is a douche.

Have you watched Leaving DC? I see that in the related selection for this one. It was a thing. A guy with some form of mental disorder (i forget what it was) moves out of the city to a home by himself and it's a video blog as he slowly loses his mind as a result? I don't actually remember anything overly supernatural or spooky happening at all during it but my memory might just be gently caress and maybe there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Len posted:

Have you watched Leaving DC? I see that in the related selection for this one. It was a thing. A guy with some form of mental disorder (i forget what it was) moves out of the city to a home by himself and it's a video blog as he slowly loses his mind as a result? I don't actually remember anything overly supernatural or spooky happening at all during it but my memory might just be gently caress and maybe there

No, i'll check it out if its on prime or some other service I cna watch for free

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

ubachung posted:

A bit off topic but there's an FPS called Squad which apparently has extremely realistic gunfire etc. It's definitely visceral, but I've never been in a gun fight so I can't personally confirm.

Black back on the og Xbox had some amazing sound as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

No, i'll check it out if its on prime or some other service I cna watch for free

It's on prime

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unfortunately I can't recommend kaos brief, it had the all too common flaw of having a pretty decent to good first half and then does whatever is an order of magnitude below fizzling out. At some point in the last 45 minutes I just stopped caring at all about this poo poo. They clearly blew their special effects budget (which wasn't impressive to begin with) in the first half and spent the rest shouting at each other.

ugh, just the fact that the people "releasing" the video said "contact us on 4chan" makes me retroactively hate everything about this thing. also the random "numbers station" crap in the ending credit. What does that have to do with anything we just saw?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Jul 27, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Len posted:

I read The Boys and knew what I was going into but I was kind of expecting it to tone it down a little.

Episode 1
Tv ma, adult content, graphic language, graphic violence, nudity, strong sexual content, rape

Well that really sucks. :( I don't get into tv shows too often but I was looking forward to trying this one. Rape/sexual violence is my hard limit on media.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Boys Ep1 spoilers for LAB

If you are familiar with the comics, it's a little different (and better, to be honest). Basically The Deep threatens Starlight's membership to the 7 if she doesn't blow him after she mentioned she had a childhood crush on him. Nothing is shown on screen, and the "after" is her puking in the bathroom.

Not saying it's a good show, but I didn't like the comic overly much, but I am mostly enjoying the show. It's a unique take, not a direct comic to film adaption. Simon Pegg's american accent is loving with me though.

So far there's no graphic rape shown, otherwise I'd have bailed on the show regardless of how much I like Karl Urban.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't seen The Boys yet (and I'm hoping it'll be decent) but it's irritating to me that Amazon have already greenlit a second season and HBO are doing that Watchmen sequel (which looks loving atrocious) and we're basically never going to be short of shows that ask "what if superheroes weren't actually perfect?" but they've cancelled The Tick which was unrepentantly wholesome :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you are familiar with the comics, it's a little different (and better, to be honest). Basically The Deep threatens Starlight's membership to the 7 if she doesn't blow him after she mentioned she had a childhood crush on him. Nothing is shown on screen, and the "after" is her puking in the bathroom.

Not saying it's a good show, but I didn't like the comic overly much, but I am mostly enjoying the show. It's a unique take, not a direct comic to film adaption. Simon Pegg's american accent is loving with me though.

So far there's no graphic rape shown, otherwise I'd have bailed on the show regardless of how much I like Karl Urban.

Oh, okay, that's not as dreadful as I was imagining (I'm not familiar with the source material so it's a bunch of big ol question marks for me). Thank you!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There is an attempted back alley rape at the end of episode 2 beginning of 3. No nudity happens but for some people that could be enough to make the show a hard pass.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

There is an attempted back alley rape at the end of episode 2 beginning of 3. No nudity happens but for some people that could be enough to make the show a hard pass.

Isn't there an attempted back alley rape/mugging in every superhero thing ever though? That's the most basic crime to start with thwarting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mierenneuker posted:

It has its moments, but I don't think it's an amazing show. If you had to provide a synopsis of a season, you realize barely anything made progress.

I mostly watch it for Hitler. Quote me on that, AMC.

I watch it for Jesus. And using a Blind Melon song to frame a furry hanging himself out of existential despair.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ty for the additional input! I appreciate you guys. :) I will probably proceed with my original plan to give it a shot after all. Worst case scenario that's why the close window/tab button exists.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I nearly submitted a post about something petty in Paddington 2, and then I went and rewatched a part to double check and realised what I was doing (and I was wrong anyway)

I'm sorry Paddington, you don't belong here

Edit: That sounds unnecessarily mysterious now, it was about the final scenes and (spoiler just in case) Aunt Lucy waiting on the doorstep in London

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Paddington 2 is a fantastic wholesome perfect movie. If you had actually shown any signs of disagreement with that movie you would have been treated to an eye glare, a wagging finger and a “tssk tskk”!!

Also a marmalade sandwich to wash your mouth from such filth.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Isn't there an attempted back alley rape/mugging in every superhero thing ever though? That's the most basic crime to start with thwarting.

Yeah, but this one has the men actually forcing the girl into position against the car (and maybe even pulling down her underwear and unzipping their pants? I don't remember), so it progresses just a bit further than the usual implied attempted rape where they only tell the girl how pretty she is before being stopped by the good guys.

I've watched two episodes and I'm enjoying it so far.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe this NSFW clip is the "rapey-mugger-in-back-alley" trope taken to it's conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wouldn't normally say this about a scene in an Ennis book that was toned down, but that's actually not better. It misses the point of the scene and kills an important follow-up.

In the comics the same thing happens, although I think it's A-Train who makes the threat. Homelander and the Deep walk in, Annie calls out to them for help because she thinks A-Train has been mind controlled by a supervillain. Instead they drop their pants as well. Again nothing is shown, cut to puking in the toilet. But then there's a scene in a team meeting where A-Train does the "blow-job gesture" at Annie and afterwards Homelander tells him to knock it the gently caress off. Because the point of making her blow them wasn't for the sex, and it wasn't even to show her where the power lay. The Seven are absolutely corrupt and venal when they're meant to be the greatest heroes, and they can't have a nice innocent church-going girl like Annie among them because she might blow the whistle. So they had to get a hold on her by dragging her down to their level. Hard to sully the reputation of the Seven by pointing out that they're all sex fiends and Maeve is a drunk when there's a video of you giving your teammates a blowbang in order to become a member.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can use the edge on that to split atoms, good lord.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I believe this NSFW clip is the "rapey-mugger-in-back-alley" trope taken to it's conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q

It's so goddamn fantastic :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schubalts posted:

You can use the edge on that to split atoms, good lord.

Welcome to Garth Ennis and why he sucks

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't normally say this about a scene in an Ennis book that was toned down, but that's actually not better. It misses the point of the scene and kills an important follow-up.

In the comics the same thing happens, although I think it's A-Train who makes the threat. Homelander and the Deep walk in, Annie calls out to them for help because she thinks A-Train has been mind controlled by a supervillain. Instead they drop their pants as well. Again nothing is shown, cut to puking in the toilet. But then there's a scene in a team meeting where A-Train does the "blow-job gesture" at Annie and afterwards Homelander tells him to knock it the gently caress off. Because the point of making her blow them wasn't for the sex, and it wasn't even to show her where the power lay. The Seven are absolutely corrupt and venal when they're meant to be the greatest heroes, and they can't have a nice innocent church-going girl like Annie among them because she might blow the whistle. So they had to get a hold on her by dragging her down to their level. Hard to sully the reputation of the Seven by pointing out that they're all sex fiends and Maeve is a drunk when there's a video of you giving your teammates a blowbang in order to become a member.

Yyyeeah, now that you remind me of how the comic did it, holy poo poo the show version is so much better/less bad it's not even funny.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

but they've cancelled The Tick which was unrepentantly wholesome :v:

The Tick died due to terrible budget management. It was costing them 5 million an episode because Tick's outfit and some other effects had a ton of post CGI touch-up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Welcome to Garth Ennis and why he sucks

Yeah there's a decent story to the boys but he set out to make it graphic and edgy and nobody was there to tone it back.

I'm assuming the show is going to skip over the subplot about not-batman who starts raping things because of a brain tumor

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Len posted:

Yeah there's a decent story to the boys but he set out to make it graphic and edgy and nobody was there to tone it back.

I'm assuming the show is going to skip over the subplot about not-batman who starts raping things because of a brain tumor

MASSIVE SPOILER FOR THE BOYS COMIC
I mean, the fact that non-Batman is brain damaged is directly tied to why he's wearing a full body suit all the time and it's central to the ending of the comic when his identity is revealed, but yeah they can show the fact that he is the way he is w/o the rape.

I really liked the main plot of the Boys, so I'm glad it's getting a TV adaptation that trims down on the 90's grimdarkness a bit - although it's still going to be edgy af for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope they ignore the Herogasm storyline