Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a low effort photo dump stuck to the top of the forum for posting all your random poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

these are magnificent

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

They feel like you left them in the filter cooker for longer than needed.

Yeah, I've just started using filters/presets as starting points - most presets need pulling back but finding the happy point is difficult after staring at them too long.

xzzy posted:

There's a low effort photo dump stuck to the top of the forum for posting all your random poo poo.

Of course!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a cyberpunk goose posted:

these are magnificent

thanks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beginner's guide to filters:

a) Don't use them.
b) If you do, set the slider to where you think it looks good, then drop it to 1/3 that value.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
The Lood H.O.F. by roland luijken, on Flickr

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I really like this one. It feels surprisingly cramped and the faded colors almost make it seem like it was found in an old trunk, or was a painting or something rather than a photograph. Not sure if that's what you intended, but I like the mood it gives off.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Sunset over Awatoto by Marc, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

7506-05 by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
2019_Iceland_025 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_021 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_036 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_038 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_040 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Iceland being awesome for photographers again.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Iceland being awesome for photographers again.

Whole reason I went - learn how to take less terrible photos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part of Iceland is how people treat the place like there's only hotspots to shoot but with the slightest amount of effort there are unlimited creative options available.

I shot the cliche stuff too because why not, but even just turning around generally shows something new.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you dropped your camera down a hill, and every time it bounced the shutter fired, you'd still get a perfect roll by the time it stopped at the bottom.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you dropped your camera down a hill, and every time it bounced the shutter fired, you'd still get a perfect roll by the time it stopped at the bottom.

It would be like the submachine gun scene in True Lies! :haw:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I don't want to discourage you but I want to give honest feedback and I think these are pretty boring photos as far as the photography mecca to Iceland goes.

Some questions I have for you to help spur some constructive feedback or discussion:

Did you really go there just to take pictures? What kinds of pictures did you want to take? What do you like about these photos you showed here? What sort of photography or photographers do you enjoy that you wish to become closer to?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I don't want to discourage you but I want to give honest feedback and I think these are pretty boring photos as far as the photography mecca to Iceland goes.

Some questions I have for you to help spur some constructive feedback or discussion:

Did you really go there just to take pictures? What kinds of pictures did you want to take? What do you like about these photos you showed here? What sort of photography or photographers do you enjoy that you wish to become closer to?

huhu posted:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

What kind of Iceland photos would you consider not boring?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross post from the large format thread.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Did you really go there just to take pictures?
Yes.

Before I answer this - what photos in this thread of mountains, and lakes, and such in this thread do you find interesting and why?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm not cyberpunk goose but I have opinions

Fart Amplifier posted:

What kind of Iceland photos would you consider not boring?

here's some photographs from iceland (as far as i can tell) that i find alluring:

Friðgeir Helgason

Ingvar Högni Ragnarsson

Jessica Auer

all of these pictures give me something that's beyond a view or a whimsical moment. landscapes don't have to be of rocks, they can be about rocks.

huhu posted:

Before I answer this - what photos in this thread of mountains, and lakes, and such in this thread do you find interesting and why?

many photos of mountains, and lakes, and such in this thread are not very good photographs and nothing to aspire to

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Counterpoint: shoot lovely photos and post them without any shame or regard. Like me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I hope you enjoyed the trip itself at least - the hiking and the scenery.

Those photos are not good, but do keep shooting more and also look at good photographers and their books.
Don't look at 500px type photography, it's not good.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Counterpoint: shoot lovely photos and post them without any shame or regard. Like me.

i can't speak for every poster but i can confidently say lots of us are more interested in improving as photographers than mindlessly posting photo club snapshots

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ansel autisms posted:

lots of us are more interested in improving as photographers

All you need to do is head over to adorama.com and pre-order the new Sony A7R IV to do that!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

I'm not cyberpunk goose but I have opinions

here's some photographs from iceland (as far as i can tell) that i find alluring:

Friðgeir Helgason

Ingvar Högni Ragnarsson

Jessica Auer

all of these pictures give me something that's beyond a view or a whimsical moment. landscapes don't have to be of rocks, they can be about rocks.

many photos of mountains, and lakes, and such in this thread are not very good photographs and nothing to aspire to

These are great.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

Posting boring or lovely photos is honestly totally fine, as long as you're being honest about it and also with yourself. I absolutely post/have posted boring photos knowing that they are so. Sometimes boring photos just look nice and it feels nice to share.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was just reading the Alec Soth interview of Stephen Shore in the Financial Times and I thought this quote was relevant:

quote:

I wanted to take a picture that felt natural, that felt like seeing and didn’t feel like picture-making.

I think one issue with the Iceland photos that huhu posted is they feel very much like "picture making". The photos tick the boxes of all of the things one should see and photograph in Iceland. It rains, there are cairns and glaciers and icebergs and incredible light. Their references are the most popular instagram/flickr/500px photographs of Iceland, not the actual experience of being in Iceland. I don't see Iceland when I look at them, I see the collective idea of what seeing Iceland is.

The photos are certainly technically competent. That sounds like an insult, but it's not. You had an idea for a photograph and you executed that photograph well. That is an accomplishment. However, it does not make them interesting.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 31, 2019

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also just want to say that taking photos that "feel like seeing" and are "interesting" is very very very hard! I won't pretend to be some expert at it.

(Especially because I can't remember the last time I posted in this thread)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

huhu posted:

It looks like you succeeded at taking technically competent photos. If that's all you were going for, congratulations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks all for this conversation, as someone only like a year into this hobby I’m always constantly learning and relish these sorts of discussions. Lately I’ve noticed I’ve been taking much more abstract shots, but I think that’s honestly a crutch as I can’t figure out “how” to take more interesting landscapes.

I know the answer to that is to practice a bunch, get feedback, and study photos from books that I like. I probably should post stuff more often in the photo a day thread to get more direct feedback. One day I’ll post something that impresses ansel autisms and MrBlandAverage!!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

I probably should post stuff more often in the photo a day thread to get more direct feedback.

no

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thanks all for this conversation, as someone only like a year into this hobby I’m always constantly learning and relish these sorts of discussions. Lately I’ve noticed I’ve been taking much more abstract shots, but I think that’s honestly a crutch as I can’t figure out “how” to take more interesting landscapes.

What makes a landscape interesting to you when you're looking at it without a camera in hand? Is simply "it's pretty" enough? There was a time when that was enough for me, and I've certainly posted many landscapes in this thread (including from Iceland!) that were boring because "it's pretty" was the only reason I pressed the shutter button. I can't give specific advice about how to take more interesting landscapes, but I can say that you should always be questioning your motivations for pressing the shutter button. What is it that you want to show us about a place, and why?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

ansel autisms posted:

i can't speak for every poster but i can confidently say lots of us are more interested in improving as photographers than mindlessly posting photo club snapshots

I wasn't posting as a slight against your opinion. Just trying to add a little levity, my guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't try to impress specific people, you're just going to be ripping them off (and they'll spot it instantly too). That's why stuff on 500px is such forgettable garbage, it's a colossal circlejerk.

Instead analyze photos that impress you and use what you discovered to push your own work forward.