Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harris and Warren aren't even going to wait for the general to ditch everything they begrudgingly lifted from Bernie's platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

KingNastidon posted:

Please don't post a link to your periscope in July 2020. I still enjoy following the pro wrestling threads here.
So this is an open acknowledgment you don't care about human lives and you only value politics as drama for your personal entertainment?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

twodot posted:

So this is an open acknowledgment you don't care about human lives and you only value politics as drama for your personal entertainment?

No, I'm attempting to discourage you dying in armed conflict if Bernie Sanders loses the democratic primary. I think the pairing of such rhetoric alongside a 80+ page mental health and depression thread is worrisome, but irony I suppose.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I must caution posters from discussing "direct action", we are after all monitored by police informant posters, you never know who is the genuine bernie stan and whose an "agent provocateur"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KingNastidon posted:

No, I'm attempting to discourage you dying in armed conflict if Bernie Sanders loses the democratic primary. I think the pairing of such rhetoric alongside a 80+ page mental health and depression thread is worrisome, but irony I suppose.

Well you're not doing a very good job, maybe you should look into actions you can take to decrease the likelihood of desperate violence!

BTW, there are already going to be billions of climate refugees and mass destabilisation of entire countries. What's your plan?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Didn't want to quote a specific post because I'm more or less addressing the past page or two. So, what's the gimmick here? The gist I'm getting is that better things aren't possible, people don't want better things, the media isn't at fault for this, and nothing can be done about it for the next several decades until ~demographics~ changing will somehow nullify capital's influence on politics and the media.

So what's the game plan dude? Because this is one dark as gently caress worldview.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno expectations for him are probably sufficiently lowered this time around even if he mr magoos it again the reaction won't be quite as drastic

If he really does carry through his promise to attack Harris, it will completely destroy the myth that Biden is charismatic or charming

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Marxalot posted:

Didn't want to quote a specific post because I'm more or less addressing the past page or two. So, what's the gimmick here? The gist I'm getting is that better things aren't possible, people don't want better things, the media isn't at fault for this, and nothing can be done about it for the next several decades until ~demographics~ changing will somehow nullify capital's influence on politics and the media.

So what's the game plan dude? Because this is one dark as gently caress worldview.

There's no gimmick, he's a FYGM concern-trolling arse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's running interference for fascists, for all intents and purposes.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Am I allowed to just and solely say "please don't kill yourself or go on a mass shooting rampage if Bernie comes in a narrow 2nd in the Democratic primary" divorced from other policy discussions/positions or is that sentiment also now fascist

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mukaikubo posted:

Am I allowed to just and solely say "please don't kill yourself or go on a mass shooting rampage if Bernie comes in a narrow 2nd in the Democratic primary" divorced from other policy discussions/positions or is that sentiment also now fascist

It's a weird thing to post in a thread where no one is going to do that anyway tbh

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 27, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's already clear that establishment Democrats are quite happy to steal elections from leftists while allowing Republicans to steal elections from them. What can you say to that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mukaikubo posted:

Sorry, the only thing you can post if Bernie doesn’t win the primary is “vote blue no matter who”.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Am I allowed to beg Bernie stans not to send death threats to Elizabeth Warren after she obliterates him in the debate, or does that somehow make me a fash collab now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KingNastidon posted:

Yes, in that something as clearly morally abhorrent as slavery took decades and decades of gradual progress and even then there wasn't enough broad public support to end it nationally without civil war. Destroying capitalism and eating the rich may take a few years.

Notoriously bloodless event in abolition: Bleeding Kansas.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingNastidon posted:

Well, I'd prefer people don't spill blood if democratic primary voters don't nominate bernie sanders.

It continues to astound me to no end how centrist creatures such as you are still in denial about the mass political violence that is inevitable in this country due to the dystopian material reality so many are living in regardless of who is the Dem nominee. The Bernie platform is literally the only one of all the candidates that has any chance of somewhat minimizing it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

It's paranoid and if you think that is going to happen you should talk to a therapist.

E: obviously I know you don't think that and it's another substanceless attack on the supporters of a candidate you don't like, because libs can't debate the merits of their policies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1154800964265742341?s=20

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

VitalSigns posted:

It's paranoid and if you think that is going to happen you should talk to a therapist.

E: obviously I know you don't think that and it's another substanceless attack on the supporters of a candidate you don't like, because libs can't debate the merits of their policies

Oh do kindly gently caress off. I was a state delegate for Bernie in 2016 and volunteered for him and phonebanked. I'm going to vote for him again. I'm going to volunteer for him again, because I think he's the best candidate running. Whenever I volunteer for him in real life, the other Bernie supporters I meet are generally the kindest, best people I interact with on a weekly basis. This thread, by contrast, is a cesspit of race-to-the-bottom shitposting and irony poisoning. :) I don't usually post here much because this entire thread and possibly entire subforum is an useless toilet bowl, and every time I break my own rule, I always regret it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well good glad to hear it buddy, phone banking for Bernie sounds like a better use of your time than accusing strangers of being probable mass shooters

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh do kindly gently caress off. I was a state delegate for Bernie in 2016 and volunteered for him and phonebanked. I'm going to vote for him again. I'm going to volunteer for him again, because I think he's the best candidate running. Whenever I volunteer for him in real life, the other Bernie supporters I meet are generally the kindest, best people I interact with on a weekly basis. This thread, by contrast, is a cesspit of race-to-the-bottom shitposting and irony poisoning. :) I don't usually post here much because this entire thread and possibly entire subforum is an useless toilet bowl, and every time I break my own rule, I always regret it.

Well I guess you know what to do, then.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

This is reflective of a lot of leftist culture... and perhaps human culture online in general. The internet is kind of desensitizing since we can rarely see how people react to our barbs and various other nonsense. I certainly shitpost way more online than I do irl.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

The fascists aren't gonna give you a choice if they win and if you think incrementalism will stand up to their message when the economy shits the bed (and I'm not even considering their disenfranchisement operations) I almost envy your obliviousness.

In other words:

tylersayten posted:

It continues to astound me to no end how centrist creatures such as you are still in denial about the mass political violence that is inevitable in this country due to the dystopian material reality so many are living in regardless of who is the Dem nominee. The Bernie platform is literally the only one of all the candidates that has any chance of somewhat minimizing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You really haven't realised that the Republicans are going to end democracy rather than accept obsolescence, and they are going to make a goddamn reality TV show out of publicly executing Democrats to keep the masses appeased while the planet boils.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
MSNBC’s Anti-Sanders Bias Makes It Forget How to Do Math

loving MSNBC lmao

tylersayten posted:

Yeah but political violence doesn't count to a centrist so long as it's in the form of a legalized system of oppression that incarcerates literal millions of people. We already boosted the number by 2 million in a couple decades. We can do another 5 easily.

Mukaikubo posted:

Please do not keep pissing yourself off by coming up with imaginary mass shootings. It's intensely unhealthy and frankly creepy as poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Marxalot posted:

Don't forget "create a leftist alternative to cnn/MSNBC" because it's totally reasonable and possible to be on the same footing as channeld owned by billion dollar corporations

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno expectations for him are probably sufficiently lowered this time around even if he mr magoos it again the reaction won't be quite as drastic

I don't think so. Biden's biggest problem is that his entire campaign is "I alone can beat Trump." The result is that everything that is even slightly negative cuts his campaign deep. Bernie, Warren, and Harris can gently caress up here and there. They can fall behind and then make a comeback. This is possible because they are making a case for their ideas and actions being the best choice.

Biden's biggest problem is that his entire campaign is designed in such a way that his natural instinct to gently caress up feeds back into loving up his campaign. If he had made his pitch anything other than just electability he might even have had a shot at not crashing and burning for the third time.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Well good glad to hear it buddy, phone banking for Bernie sounds like a better use of your time than accusing strangers of being probable mass shooters

Like for real it's some :ironicat: poo poo to bust into the thread and frame folks as probable mass shooters and then act like you were the one unfairly set upon.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

gee, I wonder why this thread is a cesspit

Could it be all the substance free meta bullshit?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I predict that Obama will not endorse a candidate in the primary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/YonahLieberman/status/1155119464087789568

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

joepinetree posted:

gee, I wonder why this thread is a cesspit

Could it be all the substance free meta bullshit?

Probably because most of them seem to be high off stupid poo poo like this

Despite calls to start over, US health system covers 90% posted:

“When you have 90 percent of the American people covered and they are drowning in their health care bills, what they want to hear from politicians are plans that will address their health care costs, more than plans that will cover the remaining 10 percent,” said Drew Altman, president of the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonpartisan research organization that tracks the health care system. “When Democrats talk about universal coverage more than health care costs, they are playing to the dreams of activists and progressives ... much less to the actual concerns of the 90 percent who have coverage today.”

The people in charge are complete sociopaths who absolutely do not care how many people they put in early graves so long as profit margins are maintained.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 27, 2019

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Marxalot posted:

Yeah but political violence doesn't count to a centrist so long as it's in the form of a legalized system of oppression that incarcerates literal millions of people. We already boosted the number by 2 million in a couple decades. We can do another 5 easily.

There is a false belief nearly every civilization has: "But now we're civilized"

A Liberal: The problems of the past are the past, we're civilized now. Yes slavery was bad, but now we're civilized. Sure Jim Crow wasn't great, but now we're civilized. [Oppressed masses complain about conditions], um no, you are incorrect we are civilized now and our society, since it is civilized, must have all of the attributes of a civilized society, so our society is 100% merit based, completely fair, and ultimately anyone's problem is a result of that individual.

Also a Liberal: I definitely don't want there to be spilled blood. [Spoken while standing next to the blood waterfall runoff created by the suffering engine of capitalism]
(for direct clarification: anyone that "doesn't want violence" is just goddamn ignorant to what currently is going on)

In a vacuum, sure non-violence rather than violence. But "In a vacuum" never actually exists in the real world. All calls for *other people* to be non-violent are calls of the oppressor (or mimic the calls of the oppressor so exact as to be fundamentally inseparable).

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2019

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Reverend Dr posted:

There is a false belief nearly every civilization has: "But now we're civilized"

Uh so yeah, how did we stop slavery, oh right a war. How was civil rights (in hindsight it was, ultimately, quite a half-measure, now wasn't it?) brought into being? How was women's sufferage, or women in the workplace evolve?

Every single big advancement was brought on, not by debate or voting, but by implicit and explicit threats of violence and outright violence.

A Liberal: But now we're civilized! So don't do violence anymore.

We're not civilized. That's the lie. That's the one true ideology of liberalism, to maintain that lie or at least plausible deniability of that lie. The person that will perpetually deny your problems is no ally. Indeed that is a foe, a particularly insidious foe. MLK was completely correct about who was the greatest hurdle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ogmius815 posted:

I predict that Obama will not endorse a candidate in the primary.

He will. Late, to try and settle a brokered convention.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Oba-who? Never heard of the guy.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m enjoying the rapid vascillation between “look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks we’re going to be violent” and “look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks you can accomplish anything without violence!”

That said, I am extremely unconcerned about any of you committing violent acts...

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mellow Seas posted:

I’m enjoying the rapid vascillation between “look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks we’re going to be violent” and “look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks you can accomplish anything without violence!”

That said, I am extremely unconcerned about any of you committing violent acts...

They are saying the violence is already being committed by the system in place, you dense motherfucker

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Marxalot posted:

get paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Unoriginal Name posted:

They are saying the violence is already being committed by the system in place, you dense motherfucker