Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

SlyFrog posted:

Come on. You don't fire crying associates. That poo poo is Grade A erection fuel.

This is going on your tombstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sab0921 posted:

Take care of yourselves lawyer friends. The law is not worth your life.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Come on. You don't fire crying associates. That poo poo is Grade A erection fuel.

The practice of law in a nutshell.

In other news, judges ordering people's mouths taped shut.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/courts/article_6bd768be-ae6a-11e9-a77b-97e1b73e472a.html

quote:

A man had his mouth taped shut on order from 15th Judicial District Court Judge Marilyn Castle after repeated interruptions during a hearing July 18.

Edit: hell yeah book list. I'm flying to Puerto Rico next week and need books for the plane.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 26, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

she's been on my list of *five minutes after phone call, send e-mail* "Hi, just to follow up on out previous conversation, am I correct in understanding that (fill in substance here)." for over a year now.

Before I just thought she was dumb. Now I think she may just be dishonest as well. A shame, because for the most part the other associates at her firm don't make me want to punch them.

I do that with every single phone call.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Eminent Domain posted:

The practice of law in a nutshell.

In other news, judges ordering people's mouths taped shut.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/courts/article_6bd768be-ae6a-11e9-a77b-97e1b73e472a.html

Edit: hell yeah book list. I'm flying to Puerto Rico next week and need books for the plane.

You missed quoting the part where a PD filmed it and got cited for contempt

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

True, now they can't bring or use a cell phone in the court for six months.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Sab0921 posted:

Subjugate yourselves lawyer friends. Your life is not worth the Law.

ftfy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol SCOTUS.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
prolly not gonna read it but did they poo poo all over the separation of powers?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
THE UPDATED LIST (sorry if I missed any)
- The Black Company, by Glen Cook
- The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
- The Craft Sequence Archives, bu Max Gladstone
- The Divine Cities Series, by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Broken Earth Trilogy, by NK Jemisin
- The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- The Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson
- Russo, Ship of Fools
- Children of Time, Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Blindsight, Peter Watts
- Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown
- Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer [Non-fiction; Muder, History, Religion]
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- The Gameshouse, Claire North
- The First Fifteen Live of Harry August, Claire North (or whatever pseudonym she used)
- Old Man's War, John Scalzi (The rest of the series sucks)
- The Aubrey–Maturin series, Ptrick O'Brian
- Hull Zero Three, Greg Bear
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
- Imperial Radch Series, Ann Leckie
- Hyperion, Dan Simmons (skip the sequels)
- Elantris, Brandon Sanderson
- The Aeronaut's Windlass, Jim Butcher.
- Rifters Trilogy, Peter Watts'
- Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series
- Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series
- Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
- Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
- The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
- Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
- Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
- The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
- The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
- The March North by Graydon Saunders
- Declare, by Tim Powers
- Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

SlyFrog posted:

Has your therapist tried prescribing crying associates?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Eminent Domain posted:

What're you up to there? Things are hopping right now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

He's probably there scouting for more assets for his hedge fund to snap up

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

EwokEntourage posted:

Has your therapist tried prescribing crying associates?

They lose efficacy too quickly if they're not fresh, and apparently they're not covered by insurance. This isn't Canada.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Family trip. My mother's from Puerto Rico and we're doing our family trip out there to see everyone. Post bar exam trip for my girlfriend as well.

poo poo has been crazy, basically all of my family that lives there was marching the moment it kicked off.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
You’re dating another lawyer?

Fool.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

You’re dating another lawyer?

Fool.

Yeah. Basically.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that reminds me, I wonder if that lady ever banged that guy we were trying to get laid in california

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That makes at least 3 of us. We need to form a PR lawgoon caucus.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Team ultravirgin leading the way!

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Let me get a quick sanity check from everyone. Would you go to a ok part time JD program (say George Mason University) if it wouldn't cost you much out of pocket?

Currently mid-30s in a job that's semi interesting with ok advancement prospects that pays 130k for a normal 9-5 schedule with good benefits.

While I like the idea of having a JD I'm not sure how it will directly help my current job or if I'd even enjoy being a practicing lawyer if I left it.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Terror Ninja posted:

Let me get a quick sanity check from everyone. Would you go to a ok part time JD program (say George Mason University) if it wouldn't cost you much out of pocket?

Currently mid-30s in a job that's semi interesting with ok advancement prospects that pays 130k for a normal 9-5 schedule with good benefits.

While I like the idea of having a JD I'm not sure how it will directly help my current job or if I'd even enjoy being a practicing lawyer if I left it.

Plenty of people take college courses as a hobby

Realize you could pursue literally anything else you're interested in and make sure it's really the thing you want to do with your spare time

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Unless your job has told you that your future prospects are limited without a law degree and they are willing to wait the years until you have one, don't. You're already making more than the average George Mason grad.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Have you considered taking up baking?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Terror Ninja posted:

Lol no. It’s not going to be worth it if you don’t know what you’d do with it. It only makes a little sense if you keep your 130k job and just go at night. If you quit your job to go to law school you’ll likely never replace that income.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Your time would be much better spent getting a doggy.

God, doggies are so good.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Oh yeah, I would be keeping my current job...only real 'cost' would be my free time. I'm not limited in my current job education wise, I already have a Masters. Only have two promotions left before I have to become an executive.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Terror Ninja posted:

Oh yeah, I would be keeping my current job...only real 'cost' would be my free time. I'm not limited in my current job education wise, I already have a Masters. Only have two promotions left before I have to become an executive.

Do you already have an MBA? Do that instead.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Smoke some weed, get a new sports car, take cooking lessons, improve your short game, learn Chinese, collect coins, learn to program, take community college courses on literally anything.

All of those are better ideas than getting a law degree for the fun of it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
How much is it worth to you to not have to say that you went to Antonin Scalia Law School? That's a cost you'll never recover.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Waste of time.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

blarzgh posted:

Waste of time.

I guess there is an argument to be made if the cost is immaterial and you don't plan on practicing and want a JD just to have one... if you don't care about rank it's virtually impossible to "fail" law school anyway.

Personally, everyone that's asked me if they should go to law school for ANY reason, I've always told them no. It's just not loving worth it. Especially if you're not going to practice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

Personally, everyone that's asked me if they should go to law school for ANY reason, I've always told them no. It's just not loving worth it. Especially if you're not going to practice.

What I tell people is "don't go to law school unless one of your parents owns a law practice and you stand to inherit it."

Though even that has pitfalls.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I mean, he WOULD have inherited the firm had he not been such a disappointing son that his mere existence dilutes the proud brand of George SinkTM.

I mean, can any father honestly say they wouldn’t have done the same?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Terror Ninja posted:

A random law degree probably isn’t going to help get that exec spot. Do you really have that little to do in your free time? Get a dog or something instead.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

How much is it worth to you to not have to say that you went to Antonin Scalia Law School? That's a cost you'll never recover.

Also seriously going to Mason *will* make people assume you’re a right wing rear end in a top hat.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

A random law degree probably isn’t going to help get that exec spot. Do you really have that little to do in your free time? Get a dog or something instead.

I have to use the rest of my gibill by 2021 or it expires, I'm also thinking of pilot training. The JD would mainly be for personal knowledge as I doubt my company would care one way or another even if it was from Harvard.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Terror Ninja posted:

I have to use the rest of my gibill by 2021 or it expires, I'm also thinking of pilot training. The JD would mainly be for personal knowledge as I doubt my company would care one way or another even if it was from Harvard.

Law school is a trial by ordeal with pretty much no actual educational or pedagogical purpose other than maybe improving your typing speed.

Why don't you inquire within your organization about what kind of education they actually value? Maybe they actually have a need for someone who can weld or speak Russian or something actually useful or fulfilling.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus Christ my OP must suck so bad for this to keep happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus Christ my OP must suck so bad for this to keep happening